As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Good Place] Like a Wave Returning to the Ocean

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    My daughter is 5, we were looking for things to watch, saw this thing called the Electric Company on HBO in the kids section and figured it would be good since she's learning to read and it seemed to focus on words and letters.

When all of a sudden
    Surprise Chidi!
    MV5BNjgxODgzNTkwOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTI0MDg5MjE@._V1_.jpg

I definitely did a double take and it made the show pretty hilarious watching his early career in something like this.

Okay, if I’m reading this correctly, I feel old.

Don’t worry, this is just a reboot of the old Electric Company from the 70’s and 80’s, that’s the one you’re thinking of most likely,

because you are super old.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    My daughter is 5, we were looking for things to watch, saw this thing called the Electric Company on HBO in the kids section and figured it would be good since she's learning to read and it seemed to focus on words and letters.

When all of a sudden
    Surprise Chidi!
    MV5BNjgxODgzNTkwOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTI0MDg5MjE@._V1_.jpg

I definitely did a double take and it made the show pretty hilarious watching his early career in something like this.

Okay, if I’m reading this correctly, I feel old.

Don’t worry, this is just a reboot of the old Electric Company from the 70’s and 80’s, that’s the one you’re thinking of most likely,

because you are super old.

I was gonna say, if that's @Doctor Detroit's first experience with that emotional reaction, then they're not THAT old.

I have been feeling that almost daily for ten years at least.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Fun fact William Harper is 68

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular

Jeremy Bearimy, baby.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Piotyr wrote: »

Jeremy Bearimy, baby.

Gotta ride that time-knife.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Zonugal wrote: »

Jeremy Bearimy, baby.

This... *gestures at tittle* broke me.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

Jeremy Bearimy, baby.

It's the only way to get to the dot over the i, after all.

• Options
    PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    Happysad

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I'm so glad when shows get to go out on their own terms. :)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Proof we don't live in the Good Place.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    That’s good. There was definitely a risk with this concept to stretch it beyond what it could do in service of ratings.

Looking forward to Eleanor bringing Chidi back to her and basically saving humanity

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I know this is right, but selfishly I want the best show on TV to stay on TV.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    This is the type of show that could get stale real quick if they ran out of ideas, so good for them.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    If Schur told us he had material for 20 seasons, I would trust him and watch this show until I was old and gray.

If he says he has material for 4 and that he's going to end it right, I'll believe him and enjoy it while I can and then ugly cry myself to sleep every night.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    If Schur told us he had material for 20 seasons, I would trust him and watch this show until I was old and gray.

If he says he has material for 4 and that he's going to end it right, I'll believe him and enjoy it while I can and then ugly cry myself to sleep every night.

Yup, and at worst, he brought four relatively unknowns into the public realm (yes, Carden was already on her way up, but she didn't have the recognition that Bell or Danson had, and Harper, Jamil, and Jacinto were definitely outside that). I look forward to seeing all of them in other projects.

Also, by completing this project, it means he can work on a different project, with a fresh slate. While I too will be sad to see the Good Place end, Schur has a pretty unparalleled track record for awesomeness. A fairly significant role in the early Office, then creator or co creator for Parks and Rec, Brooklyn Nine Nine, and Good Place? I have confidence his next project will be fantastic, even if it can't capture the magic that is this.

I don't want it to go, but I'd rather it go out with a bang, than a whimper.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

Yeah I agree with this.

Despite how amazingly good this show is and how much more I want of it I far more want show creators to be able to say "This is the story and, I'm sorry, but it does have an end"

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Goddamn that is some bittersweet news.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    The Good Place ending at four seasons because that's where they want to end it is about the best thing I could hear for the show. The show is great and the cast is wonderful, but I've lost track of how many series I've been soured on because they stretched far beyond a useful lifespan or were cut off long before they were ready to end. I'd like more than just four seasons, but I'm much happier with four seasons and a good conclusion than a dozen seasons where half of it is just a long fizzle out.

Good shows getting good conclusions is far too rare a situation.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Be happy it's not being treated like Supernatural.

Dude had a 5-year plan, stuck to it, and left at the end. Then the show ran for 10 more years.

sig.gif
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    I’m a little late to the party on this show, but recently my wife and I binged our way through the show and I absolutely love it.

I have never cried so hard watching a TV show as when I watched the season 3 finale.

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    #fourseasonsandamovie

• Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

Yup, and at worst, he brought four relatively unknowns into the public realm (yes, Carden was already on her way up, but she didn't have the recognition that Bell or Danson had, and Harper, Jamil, and Jacinto were definitely outside that). I look forward to seeing all of them in other projects.

Also, by completing this project, it means he can work on a different project, with a fresh slate. While I too will be sad to see the Good Place end, Schur has a pretty unparalleled track record for awesomeness. A fairly significant role in the early Office, then creator or co creator for Parks and Rec, Brooklyn Nine Nine, and Good Place? I have confidence his next project will be fantastic, even if it can't capture the magic that is this.

I don't want it to go, but I'd rather it go out with a bang, than a whimper.

And let’s not forget perhaps his greatest work, Fire Joe Morgan. I still dive into the archives there now and again.

But yeah I’m super sad to lose this masterpiece of a show, but am glad they get to end it on their terms. Can’t wait to see what Schur (he’ll always be Ken to me) does next

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I'll say this -- after The Good Place is done, I'm insta-watching the next thing Schur does. No matter the concept.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I'll say this -- after The Good Place is done, I'm insta-watching the next thing Schur does. No matter the concept.

Him and Bell sold me on this without knowing anything else about it.

• Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Yeah the fact that it was Schur is what made me try The Good Place right off the bat. Parks and Rec alone had earned him that. At this point now, his work is now appointment viewing

APODionysus on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    To be honest, I kept forgetting who Michael Schur was. Bell alone sold me on The Good Place. But Schur is etched in my mind forever now.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    It shocked me when I found out he played Cousin Mose in The Office...

But yeah, Schur's name attached to a show is as close as you can get to a guarantee of quality.

• Options
    Schur has supposedly signed a deal with Universal to keep making something or other for them for 5 years. 25 million a year, is the rumor.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    To be honest, I kept forgetting who Michael Schur was. Bell alone sold me on The Good Place. But Schur is etched in my mind forever now.

He's also Mose Schrute

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    The way his cast and crew speak of him on the podcast makes it sound like he's one of the maybe only genuinely good guys in Hollywood.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    The way his cast and crew speak of him on the podcast makes it sound like he's one of the maybe only genuinely good guys in Hollywood.

He's got a "nobody be a dick" rule on his shows, which I think people appreciate.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Crazy too is how any other network could have easily made each season into 2-3 seasons on it's own.

As sad as I am to see it go, getting four seasons at the breakneck pace they go is pretty great. The insane pacing of this show has been one of my favorite things about it

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options

He's got a "nobody be a dick" rule on his shows, which I think people appreciate.

His policy of the "candy jar" is legit the best idea I've ever heard of for a writer's room.

• Options

His policy of the "candy jar" is legit the best idea I've ever heard of for a writer's room.

Can you explain? Googling found me nothing.

• Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    Parks & Rec definitely started spinning its wheels in the final 2 seasons, so this is good news.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    Einzel wrote: »

Can you explain? Googling found me nothing.

Okay, so after the showrunners have mapped out more or less how the episode is going to go it's assigned to a single writer who bangs out the entire script. At the same time, the rest of the writer's room are working on individual bits (or, more accurately, watching a bunch of random youtube cat videos while working on their bits). Then, when the main writer for that episode is finished, the entire writer's room gets together where one single person is on a computer that is wired to a projector and is moving through the script (sometimes this is delegated to the script assistant who is someone trying to get writing experience). As they do, the rest of the room brings up their individual bits to hammer out this Frankenstein's Monster creation of a document which is later edited down to the episode as we see it.

But, those bits or jokes that are really good - but just aren't fitting - are placed in a separate file - the 'Candy Jar'.

As the season develops, if they feel like a scene needs some more humor, they turn to the Candy Jar and pull out whatever works.

It creates this camaraderie between the writers. Jokes that are absolutely dynamite, but just not a good fit for a earlier episode can show up episodes or seasons later.

From all of the writers, producers, and assistants that are on the podcast say, it just leads to a very productive and positive room where everyone feels like they are contributing even if something doesn't make it into the show immediately.

I've never read anything even remotely similar.

• Options
    I want there to be a fat ceramic teddy bear in the middle of the table stuffed with fork jokes.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Be happy it's not being treated like Supernatural.

Dude had a 5-year plan, stuck to it, and left at the end. Then the show ran for 10 more years.

• Options
    Emmy nominations:

Outstanding Comedy
    Lead Actor in a Comedy (Danson)
    Guest Actress in a Comedy (Maya Rudolph)
    Writing in a Comedy (for "Janet(s)")

Nothing for Carden which is a bummer because she definitely deserved one for that same episode.