As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[COFFEE] - Why the hell are we making meth?

CantidoCantido Registered User regular
edited June 2019 in Debate and/or Discourse
61L3qoTLnVL._SX466_.jpg
Here is a thread where everyone discusses the worlds most popular mind, altering, performance enhancing, BPM raising psychoactive drug.

Recreational baristas and coffee hipsters are welcome to discuss beans, brewing methods, and the tools to brew the best cup of coffee to impress your friends.
Brought to you by Duncan Hills
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2RPo2cVjd4

Info to be added to the OP: Brewing methods, derived from Craft Coffee - A Manual, by Jessica Easto w/Andreas Willhoff

French Press
Brewing Temp: Varies
Brewing Time: Varies
Grind: Really coarse
Produces: Coffee

+ Cheap
+ Works with coarse grind*
+ Simple and versatile, great for beginners
+ Looks fancy as fuck
- * When I say course I mean coarse. I mean mulch. Can your grinder do the job?
- You're gonna taste bean, not roast. Go dark and keep the fruity stuff away.
- Slow. 5-8 minute brew (with different instructions for each)
- No one recipe. Even this book doesn't have a hard temperature. I'm wrestling to find hard numbers right now!

AEROPRESS - This is my jam, as recommended to me from another coffee thread approximately four years ago.
Brewing Temp: 175-185F
Brewing Time: 20-50 seconds (Stir for 10 seconds, slowly press the remainder of the time)
Grind: Fine
Produces: Shots of espresso-like drink (not true espresso, thanks Mojo Jojo)

+ When brewed properly, needs less sugar, possibly none
+ Very easy to transport
+ Cheap as hell
+ FAST. The only thing your waiting on is for your water to reach the right temperature.
+ A simple consistent recipe with very little variation
+ Makes espresso, therefore flexible with recipies
- Recipe requires your full focus and attention. Brew is so challenging I find I can only focus on one serving at a time, although it can make two servings.
- Just because its easy to transport, that doesnt mean the beans/grounds are.
- Dependent on your (and your roomates/SOs/family) morning mental energy to brew correctly with precise timing. I have to remind my mom to read the manual because it makes espresso, not drip coffee. A different book described it as a hobby rather than a household technique: inconvenient. (I say you need to suck it up.)
- Looks absurd. Looks like it was invented in a toymaker's home because it was.

Pour Over - I recently purchased a Japanese Vario V60 Dripper and will begin experimenting with it
(Still filling)
Brewing Temp: 212, then set aside
Brewing Time: 2 min
Grind: Medium-Fine
Produces: Coffee

+ Cheap
+ Looks very cool
+ Easy to clean
- Need to purchase a gooseneck kettle to pour evenly, and a kitchen scale to track your pouring without stopping to peek
- Requires focus and attention
- + Vast number of purchasing options, each with its own quirks

Recommended Add'l Equipment

Burr Grinder > Blade Grinder
A blade grinder is basically a blender shaped differently. How a bean is ground up is at the mercy of these spinning blades, therefore the grind is inconsistent. A burr grinder chews up the beans in a consistent fashion.
https://prima-coffee.com/learn/article/grinder-basics/burr-grinder-basics/31830

Kitchen Scale
Oh, your rig came with a scoop? That's cute, but your manufacturer didn't account for different grounds. A kitchen scale will tell you if you're using the right amount of grounds. And for pour over, will tell you if you're pouring the right amount of water.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
Cantido on

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Last month I discovered Bones Coffee Their Strawberry Cheesecake roast is out of this world and their decafs are actually decafs.
    CHOCOLATE-SBC-SHOPIFYFRONT_1024x1024.jpg?v=1541019878
    The scent just hits like a heavenly truck every time I open the storage cylinder on these beans.

Cantido on
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I like coffee so much I load it with sugar and vanilla creamer until it doesn’t taste like coffee anymore and then I drink the hell out of that coffee

• RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I have never drunk (drank? drinken?) coffee.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    The convenience and time maximizing nature of Keurig make it impossible to give up, even though the coffee isn't as good as a home grind :(

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    The news article saying 25 cups of coffee isn’t bad for you was directed at me.

• jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

Also literally everybody in Scandinavia

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

I mean it should be fine cause it’s usually going out as fast as it goes in

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    The convenience and time maximizing nature of Keurig make it impossible to give up, even though the coffee isn't as good as a home grind :(

I have one at my house so I use it of course. and it's not bad, and I've never like regularly made coffee at home so I don't know what I'm missing

but I think about what I'm missing sometimes, for not much of an investment (and I do have the time in the morning). but anytime I try to look for the simplest path to delicious coffee I get overwhelmed by like the coffee reddit or whatever I find on google hahaha.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch

a week?

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    I love coffee. I get up at 4AM, and usually drink 3-4 cups a day. I have a can of cold espresso when I wake up, to kick start my self (and for convenience), 2-3 hot cups at work, and possibly something from Dunkin' Donuts on the way home, to reward myself for getting through the day. I pretty much just drink it black now, after some petty workplace drama about who was and wasn't paying for milk for the staff, and after I dropped most sugar out of my life.

My one struggle is resisting drinking it on my two days off, when I don't need to be awake super early, despite it being delicious and wanting to drink it every day.

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I love coffee because my head hurts a lot if I don’t drink coffee! It’s amazing this widely accessible drink that cures the headache I get if I don’t drink it!

PSN: Honkalot
  • SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    I mostly use the Keurig machines at school, but instead of putting a little pod in I just use this in my mug.

It's a few extra seconds to tap and rinse it out but I'm literally personally saving the planet by doing so or something.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    I mostly use the Keurig machines at school, but instead of putting a little pod in I just use this in my mug.

It's a few extra seconds to tap and rinse it out but I'm literally personally saving the planet by doing so or something.

The coffee grounds all over your school kitchen are a small price to pay for salvation :)

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    My workplace only had a keurig-style machine, which I dealt with for years before just bringing in a French press for my office.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »

a week?

God bless your heart

• AimAim Registered User regular
    We have a Gaggia Brera at home it's got a built in grinder, so it's a one button push to make coffee. Takes a little while to grind and reset, but you can be doing other stuff in the meanwhile.

edited June 2019
    A tangetical PSA: Coffee is no substitute for water.

Before I increased water intake, my afternoon and evening energy was low. I was unwilling to do jack-shit in the evenings other than game and read. It felt like my brain was too small for my skull, all rattling around in there.

1.5 weeks ago a dietitian scanned me and discovered my water weight was low for all the workouts I do. I started lugging around a gallon every day like all the cool kids do. My daily energy and workout energy skyrocketed. My brain feels like it fits my skull (even mild dehydration shrinks the brain)

Drink more water. And coffee is only worth half the water consumed in it.

Cantido on
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    A tangetical PSA: Coffee is no substitute for water.

Before I increased water intake, my afternoon and evening energy was low. I was unwilling to do jack-shit in the evenings other than game and read. It felt like my brain was too small for my skull, all rattling around in there.

1.5 weeks ago a dietitian scanned me and discovered my water weight was low for all the workouts I do. I started lugging around a gallon every day like all the cool kids do. My daily energy and workout energy skyrocketed.

Drink more water. And coffee is only worth half the water consumed in it.

So drink twice as much coffee. Got it!

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Put me on team Aeropress

That thing is wicked convenient and feels like a ritual when combined with hand grinding the beans

Also, Hario ceramic burr hand grinders are the shit

I always thought coffee was working against the water I drink, that's great news.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I just purchased a Bodum 8 cup carafe style pour over last week. Paired with some high quality fresh ground coffee I'm really impressed. Also it feels just a bit fancy. Presentation certainly adds to the enjoyment, I won't lie. Plus this was like $20, so well within budget.

oh5z90cprnmn.jpg

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    I really like coffee you guys

sig.gif
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I love my aeropress but the OP is telling damn lies suggesting it makes espresso. It doesn't come close to the pressure you need for that.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    edited June 2019
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I love my aeropress but the OP is telling damn lies suggesting it makes espresso. It doesn't come close to the pressure you need for that.

The manual is under the distinct impression that it is espresso. It wants espresso grind and instructs users to add other things to make it a complete drink. More water for American coffee, milk for a latte, frothed' milk for a cappuccino, etc.

I think I got sick by treating it as coffee and drinking a straight, giant brew with cream.

Cantido on
  • useruser Registered User regular
    My espresso machine (a cherished hand-me down) is on its last legs and I don't believe the ailing part (the control board that operates the pump) is manufactured any more.

RIP good at home espresso.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited June 2019

The manual is under the distinct impression that its espresso. It wants espresso grind and instructs users to add other things to make it a complete drink. More water for American coffee, milk for a latte, frothed' milk for a cappuccino, etc.

I think I got sick by treating it as coffee and drinking a straight, giant brew.
    You need 9 bar to make an espresso.

I didn't notice any reference to these heretical lies when I got mine so I don't know if this is a localisation thing or if I just missed them.

Edit: I've had a look it apparently claims "espresso strength". So it's just empty shady marketing rather technically lies

Mojo_Jojo on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    giphy.gif

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I have an aeropress but honestly it doesn't really seem worth the effort compared to a French press that's done properly (right temperature, right steeping time, freshly ground beans, etc)

I have an aeropress but honestly it doesn't really seem worth the effort compared to a French press that's done properly (right temperature, right steeping time, freshly ground beans, etc)

It's easier to clean and faster. It's the main reason I use it at work

edited June 2019

A French press barely takes more time to clean, and it's way faster than an aeropress! Or rather, much less effort.

Evil Multifarious on

What are you putting in it though?

I wouldn't try this unless I had an electric kettle at work and brought grounds in a ziplock every morning.

edited June 2019
    Like, when I used my aeropress it was this process:

1. Start boiling the water (or rather heating to 194 on a programmable)
    2. Measure out the beans in the scoop.
    3. Grind the beans.
    4. Measure out the hot water very precisely using the plunger
    5. Pour the water from the plunger into a separate container, because you're gonna need to use the plunger soon (the mug usually serves)
    6. Wet the plunger, put it in the outer section partially plunged, and invert it
    7. Put the grounds in the inverted press and pour in the water, and stir gently
    8. Wet the paper filter and fiddle it into place on the plastic filter, then screw it on
    9. Let it steep for however long you like
    10. Flip it right side up over the mug and press slowly but firmly, like the Nazi in Saving Private Ryan who kills that one guy with the knife
    11. Add hot water for an Americano

A real pain in the ass!

Evil Multifarious on
    edited June 2019

What are you putting in it though?

I wouldn't try this unless I had an electric kettle at work and brought grounds in a ziplock every morning.

The water is from one of those standard office boilers, so ninety odd degrees. Good for coffee, terrible for tea.

And I mix up my coffee. Sometimes it's from the local roastery, other times it's just whatever catches my interest from the supermarket, ideally in a finer grind than for a standard cafetière. At the moment it's Orangutan Coffee, but I've had good experiences with Union's stuff even if they seem to err on the lighter side of the roast than I'd usually prefer(I had a subscription box with them which was pretty cool)

I could grind the coffee at home but the whole intention is low effort good coffee

Mojo_Jojo on
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    I like my Aeropress fine but it doesn't make enough coffee for me. I prefer either a french press or chemex depending on what kind of coffee I want or how lazy I want to be. French press is so simple. The only thing I didn't like about it was cleaning coffee grounds out between the filter and the frame it's attached to, but eventually I started filling the press with hot water and then plunging over and over again to use pressure and water agitation to remove the trapped grounds.

Like, when I used my aeropress it was this process:

1. Start boiling the water (or rather heating to 194 on a programmable)
    2. Measure out the beans in the scoop.
    3. Grind the beans.
    4. Measure out the hot water very precisely using the plunger
    5. Pour the water from the plunger into a separate container, because you're gonna need to use the plunger soon (the mug usually serves)
    6. Wet the plunger, put it in the outer section partially plunged, and invert it
    7. Put the grounds in the inverted press and pour in the water, and stir gently
    8. Wet the paper filter and fiddle it into place on the plastic filter, then screw it on
    9. Let it steep for however long you like
    10. Flip it right side up over the mug and press slowly but firmly, like the Nazi in Saving Private Ryan who kills that one guy with the knife
    11. Add hot water for an Americano

A real pain in the ass!

1) pull plunger back
    2) put a filter in the cap
    3) stand the aeropress up so the plunger is on the surface
    4) add coffee
    5) add water
    6) cap on
    7) invert over mug
    8) wait
    9) push plunger
    10) take off cap
    11) fire plug of coffee and filter into bin
    12) rinse

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I'm a life-long fan of the pour-over. It's so cheap...except for the grinder. A shitty plastic Melitta + a couple dollars in filters, and the rest of the money can go into your beans and grinder.

Even the gooseneck kettle isn't necessary, just nice to have.

Best benefit? Cleanup is a cinch. Just toss the filter plus grounds into the compost, the rest can be rinsed and call it a day.

Orca on
  • Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Pour over is great when I'm treating myself

Otherwise I fill my travel mug with Extreme Caffeine from ampm for my driving days

Havelock2.0 on
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular

This very morning I finally switched back to french press from Keurig after about two years.

The flavor just doesn't compare.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    I'm a life-long fan of the pour-over. It's so cheap...except for the grinder. A shitty plastic Melitta + a couple dollars in filters, and the rest of the money can go into your beans and grinder.

Best benefit? Cleanup is a cinch. Just toss the filter plus grounds into the compost, the rest can be rinsed and call it a day.

I love my little plastic pour over, I bought the Bodun so I could make more than one mug at a time. If I'm by myself though the little plastic thing is great.

The biggest things are having fresh coffee with the correct grind for what you're doing, and the right temperature water.

During the week though I'm all about the cold brew. I'm tempted to pick up that OXO coldbrew station to make my own easier, versus buying a container at the store.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »

I love my little plastic pour over, I bought the Bodun so I could make more than one mug at a time. If I'm by myself though the little plastic thing is great.

The biggest things are having fresh coffee with the correct grind for what you're doing, and the right temperature water.

During the week though I'm all about the cold brew. I'm tempted to pick up that OXO coldbrew station to make my own easier, versus buying a container at the store.

What does a coldbrew station even have? It's just a French Press with a lot more beans than normally necessary!