As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[L5R LCG] Imperial cycle has releases faster than One Punch Man fight scenes.

• HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    I am skeptical that core, 3-4 cycles, one clan pack, and some indeterminate number of premium expansions is enough to give each clan more than one viable deck.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    The alternative is that the game dies because the buy in is too expensive for new players (since ffg don't do anything to resolve this) .
    Also, there is always a best deck in all competitive scenes, so I don't think it matters too much even if you are correct (which I'm unsure on).

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I stopped into the store and talked about rotation a bit, and the local Thrones player brought up that current full buy-in to Thrones is $750. I was kind of blown away by that... then remembered that 2nd edition came out in 2015.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Nuking cycle 1 will probably be a good thing in the long run, since it's kinda wack in regards to power levels.

I definitely wouldn't mind it if we got a Revised of the core set that evened up the power levels a bit. And maybe fixed the multicore problem?

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    Just won the UK Grand Kotei!
    Craaaaaabbbbb!
    Trip to the World Championship it is then...

So I assume when you win Worlds, we're going to be getting Yasuki Leela punching some courtier in half?

persona4celestia.jpg
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Cerberus wrote: »
    Craaaaaabbbbb!

Sadly you aren't getting the recognition of the Seattle, but still. :)

From one of the facebook groups:

"Julian Dale Well done to the Netrunner player who won Birmingham!"

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    PMAvers wrote: »
    So I assume when you win Worlds, we're going to be getting Yasuki Leela punching some courtier in half?

Haha, nice.

Borderlands Defender is my L5R sweet.

My greatest victory was convincing the crowd to not listen to the Crane player during the cosplay competition.
    Athenor wrote: »
    Craaaaaabbbbb!

Sadly you aren't getting the recognition of the Seattle, but still. :)

From one of the facebook groups:

"Julian Dale Well done to the Netrunner player who won Birmingham!"

Glad Crab didn't get Seattle, don't want us getting nerfed ;)
    MD wins enough.

Still famous for NR, one of the L5R judges even mentioned my game vs Timmy Wong this weekend which is crazy, was like 4 years ago.

Hrm.

Our store's running the Mantis kit this weekend... and now I need to decide what I want to play.

Could always look for a tryhard HMT deck... but I've actually put together a version of the Unicorn honor bomb deck with the Crane splash, and I kind of want to go for style points?

persona4celestia.jpg
    Hrm.

Our store's running the Mantis kit this weekend... and now I need to decide what I want to play.

Could always look for a tryhard HMT deck... but I've actually put together a version of the Unicorn honor bomb deck with the Crane splash, and I kind of want to go for style points?

Have you seen the Phoenix mill deck? If you want another crazy deck?

Phoenix? Nah, I have *some* standards.

Also Pack 5 of the upcoming cycle was announced. Has a new Dragon stronghold.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/6/4/a-champions-foresight/

persona4celestia.jpg
    I want the first pack to come out already so I can play the Crab infinite combo deck.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
    So I actually ended up playing the Crane splash honor deck that I threw together.

And while it didn't actually win... it was actually threatening the honor win. Like, in one game I was sitting at like 20 honor with 7 honored personalities on the board ready to push me over if I survived the turn. Just had some really bad luck with personality flops or card draws.

Also I probably need to look at other decks so I have a good idea what to Gossip, and when to. I really should have thrown one at Let Go for those turns when I really needed to keep a SPIRITHORSE spell in play long enough to cast. Did some good work against Lion to shut down Charges.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Gossip is one of those cards where, if you know the decks and the match really well, will serve you amazingly, while a lot of people are going to struggle to use it. The new Dragon stronghold is going to be a bit like that too.

New Rules Reference update.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/6/25/a-moment-of-respite/

Spyglass also went onto the Restricted List. (Thanks, Crab.)

persona4celestia.jpg
    Yeaaah. Hate being in the collateral about that.

New Rules Reference update.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/6/25/a-moment-of-respite/

Spyglass also went onto the Restricted List. (Thanks, Crab.)

Sorry :(

Now you'll see Crab combo decks, sure that'll make people happy.

edited June 2019
    I mean, to be fair, Crab had the same thing happen to them with Dragon and Pathfinder's Blade. At least Spoils of War came out and is probably better for Uni itself.

Pack 6 of Inheritance Cycle got announced, Shoju's Duty.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    Huh. So someone got their hands on the rest of the Inheritance Cycle already, and posted spoilers.

They've been collated on a google doc.

persona4celestia.jpg
    Also they've posted the prize support for Grand Championships.

persona4celestia.jpg
    Also they've posted the prize support for Grand Championships.

Speaking of, is anyone else going to NOVA Open?

persona4celestia.jpg
    Oh hey, the general FFG Floor Rules document got updated.

persona4celestia.jpg
    edited July 2019
    Oh shiiiiiii

The Queen of Bash has returned!
    Paging Dr. @Cerberus to the HidaPhone.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    persona4celestia.jpg

It's funny because the deck isn't even legal.

I mean, are they ever? It's all about dem extended arts.

persona4celestia.jpg
    persona4celestia.jpg
    edited August 2019
    Also new preview time! The non-Lion cards in the Lion pack.

EDIT: Oh wow, I missed that the Kitsuki was a conflict character. At 1 bamboo... yeah, I got a feeling we're going to be seeing a bunch of Dragon splashes again if just to mess with a certain fire chicken combo.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    And on the RPG side, a new source-book and module was announced today.

persona4celestia.jpg
    edited August 2019
    Hoo boy, here we go. New fiction day: Red Petals Scatter.

*pours a gas-can on a unlit bonfire*

*goes to light it, but realizes that’s not enough fuel*

*backs a gas truck up to the bonfire and starts hosing it down*

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    I don't really keep up with the fiction, what's so spicy with this one?

• tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Shahai finds Sotorii in the garden post-regicide, interrupts his seppuku without knowing why he's doing it.
    Sotorii flees but drops a "death poem," which Shahai finds and takes to Daisetsu.
    Daisetsu (with Shahai in tow) confronts his brother, recognizing the meaning of the poem and deduces that Sotorii killed their father, which he admits to.
    Daisetsu is all "I hate you and you're completely incompetent, kill yourself," and Sotorii is "I hate you, mother wished you were dead after you were born" and they struggle and fight each other.
    Shahai intervenes, and to protect herself attacks Sotorii with a dagger, scratching his hand. He calls the guards and she and Daisetsu flee.
    Daisetsu convinces her to leave the city, and what's more take him with her. In doing so, she is abandoning and dishonoring her clan (since she was there as a "guest" to teach about meishodo), as well as effectively "kidnapping" the prince, though her life is already technically forfeit for hurting a crown prince. She chooses to flee, saving her life, even though Bushido demands she stay and face the consequences.
    Shahai also wonders why the palace wards didn't activate, either on Hantei's death or on her attack. She realizes she bound some of the palace's kami into her meishodo talismans earlier that day/week, planning on releasing them the next day after a meishodo display, but she feels it's possible that by doing so the kami weren't there to protect the Hantei line, and thus she might be partly responsible for the death of the Emperor.
    Shahai mentally asks her father to forgive her, and blames her actions on possible Yogo parentage.

Keep in mind in the old story line that Daisetsu became Daigotsu, and he and Shahai were basically the evil first family of the Shadowlands and maho, so does this point in that direction or are they going to go somewhere else with it?

tzeentchling on
    Shahai finds Sotorii in the garden post-regicide, interrupts his seppuku without knowing why he's doing it.
    Sotorii flees but drops a "death poem," which Shahai finds and takes to Daisetsu.
    Daisetsu (with Shahai in tow) confronts his brother, recognizing the meaning of the poem and deduces that Sotorii killed their father, which he admits to.
    Daisetsu is all "I hate you and you're completely incompetent, kill yourself," and Sotorii is "I hate you, mother wished you were dead after you were born" and they struggle and fight each other.
    Shahai intervenes, and to protect herself attacks Sotorii with a dagger, scratching his hand. He calls the guards and she and Daisetsu flee.
    Daisetsu convinces her to leave the city, and what's more take him with her. In doing so, she is abandoning and dishonoring her clan (since she was there as a "guest" to teach about meishodo), as well as effectively "kidnapping" the prince, though her life is already technically forfeit for hurting a crown prince. She chooses to flee, saving her life, even though Bushido demands she stay and face the consequences.
    Shahai also wonders why the palace wards didn't activate, either on Hantei's death or on her attack. She realizes she bound some of the palace's kami into her meishodo talismans earlier that day/week, planning on releasing them the next day after a meishodo display, but she feels it's possible that by doing so the kami weren't there to protect the Hantei line, and thus she might be partly responsible for the death of the Emperor.
    Shahai mentally asks her father to forgive her, and blames her actions on possible Yogo parentage.

Keep in mind in the old story line that Daisetsu became Daigotsu, and he and Shahai were basically the evil first family of the Shadowlands and maho, so does this point in that direction or are they going to go somewhere else with it?
    I really want Shahai and Daisetsu to break free of their heritage from the old game. I want her to be an asskicker that helps save the Empire, just to throw the past on its head.

But I'm also partial. :)

This took me longer than I expected...

persona4celestia.jpg
    persona4celestia.jpg
    In case anyone didn't watch the AMA today, the question about a Revised Core Set came up.

The answer was something along the lines of, "Remember how we came out with a Revised Core for Netrunner when it had rotation? Keep a eye out around then."

persona4celestia.jpg
    persona4celestia.jpg
    edited September 2019
    PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg