As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Finding the Robert E. Howard Conan books?

cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm RegentBears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
edited June 2019 in Help / Advice Forum
My dad is a huge fan of the original Conan books, and used to own some old paperbacks, but he doesn't have them anymore, and wants to replace them.

Problem is, it's like they were wiped off the face of the earth. Amazon, book stores, they don't exist.

Is there a way to get them anywhere? An omnibus, anything?

Edit: I'm an idiot and think I just found them... it's Robert E. Howard apparently.

wVEsyIc.png
cj iwakura on

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Could always try looking at local used book stores for old paperback copies. I've seen a lot of well-loved pulp paperbacks at places like Half-Price Books for only a few dollars. They aren't in the best condition but they're certainly still readable.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    My dad is a huge fan of the original Conan books, and used to own some old paperbacks, but he doesn't have them anymore, and wants to replace them.

Problem is, it's like they were wiped off the face of the earth. Amazon, book stores, they don't exist.

Edit: I'm an idiot and think I just found them... it's Robert E. Howard apparently.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/9-Conan-the-Barbarian-Paperback-Books-Robert-E-Howard-De-Camp-Carter-/333218967200

edit: missed your edit somehow!

Xaquin on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/9-Conan-the-Barbarian-Paperback-Books-Robert-E-Howard-De-Camp-Carter-/333218967200

Yep, those are the exact ones he used to own. Maybe the anthologies I found on Amazon are better though...

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019

Either should be fine! People have the impression that Howard wrote a lot about Conan, but there's a ton of later writers who took him up as well (notably / best, imo, Lin Carter); Howard's output is kind of small for reasons easy to look up.

I have a set of three collections published by Del Rey with individual titles which covers most of what those do in one volume, from 2003; I recommend those if you can find them used, but I don't really see anything to fault about the others!

E: "The Coming of Conan," "The Bloody Crown of Conan," and "The Conquering Sword of Conan," are the titles on those collections.

Auralynx on
  • Options
    After showing him the options, he seems to have his heart set on the old ones with the classic covers. Old habits die hard, I suppose.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    After showing him the options, he seems to have his heart set on the old ones with the classic covers. Old habits die hard, I suppose.

For what it's worth, that completely makes sense; there are a bunch of pulp SF series that I own in "the wrong" editions and I want to find the ones I remember, even though they're the same on the inside. (the Panther editions with Chris Foss cover art are the only ones that count for me)

• Options

For what it's worth, that completely makes sense; there are a bunch of pulp SF series that I own in "the wrong" editions and I want to find the ones I remember, even though they're the same on the inside. (the Panther editions with Chris Foss cover art are the only ones that count for me)

The thing is, after looking at all the different 'reprints' and the classics, I'm not sure if any of them are complete or what.
    (What's worse is I've already been outbid on that classic ebay link, lol.)

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Gollancz released a couple of collected volumes of the Conan stories a few years ago as part of the fantasy masterworks series that should be easy to pick up. The Conan Chronicles Volume 1: The People of the Black Circle and The Conan Chronicles Volume 2: The Hour of the Dragon. There are some typos in the editions I read which can be annoying, but I'm not sure if they're replicating typos in earlier editions or new ones.

I'm not sure if these collections are comprehensive and contain every Conan story, unfortunately. Very nice covers, though.

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »

I won. :) Had to FIGHT, that's for sure.

wVEsyIc.png