As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[COFFEE] - Why the hell are we making meth?

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    "firing thing into bin" is the way I want to live

Suggests a carefree contentment with life

sig.gif
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    "firing thing into bin" is the way I want to live

Suggests a carefree contentment with life

It is incredibly satisfying

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    I'm down to instant coffee again as I've neglected the state of my home for too many weeks of travel and board games and workouts and video games. Intend to properly clean everything and buy more beans as necessary this afternoon. Maybe make some cold brew! It's so nice to wake up, reach over, and drink coffee

sig.gif
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I'm down to instant coffee again as I've neglected the state of my home for too many weeks of travel and board games and workouts and video games. Intend to properly clean everything and buy more beans as necessary this afternoon. Maybe make some cold brew! It's so nice to wake up, reach over, and drink coffee

Geth, ban Powerpuppies

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited June 2019
    I have a nespresso at home and it is so much tastier than keurig I cannot even.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    I'm sorry! I throw myself on the mercy of the Orca

sig.gif
  • Options
    I'm sorry! I throw myself on the mercy of the Orca

Clean your grinder, make two batches of cold brew, and sin no more my son.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    I have a nespresso at home and it is wo much tastier than keurig I cannot even.

Yeah Nespresso machines are the next best thing to an actual espresso machine. With none of the faff.

I don't feel great about the environmental terribleness though.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I looked up how to make cold brew once, but then I discovered that when it's hot out I quite like just pouring the old coffee from the (sometimes previous (and sometimes even more previous)) morning's brew over ice.

But I also buy whatever giant can of ground coffee Costco has so I might just have the palate of a garbage disposal, who knows.

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    I looked up how to make cold brew once, but then I discovered that when it's hot out I quite like just pouring the old coffee from the (sometimes previous (and sometimes even more previous)) morning's brew over ice.

But I also buy whatever giant can of ground coffee Costco has so I might just have the palate of a garbage disposal, who knows.

No it's not?

Cold brew is when you leave ground coffee in water overnight in the fridge. The lack of heat and pressure means the extraction is radically different

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

No it's not?

Cold brew is when you leave ground coffee on water overnight in the fridge. The lack of heat and pressure means the extraction is radically different

Yeah, and even shitty beans end up being not bad for cold brew.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    At my friend's wedding they had self serve coffee with dessert, but the tanks had espresso in them instead of coffee.

I wanted to see how a whole cup of espresso would taste.

It was amazing. But then...

https://youtu.be/tMWKpcmC2NU

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    I am lazy but didn't want to use a Keurig because they're horribly wasteful and your cost-per-cup was pretty ridiculous.

So I blew $800 a few years ago on a Jura Impressa: https://www.amazon.com/Jura-15006-Impressa-Automatic-Coffee/dp/B00I8MYD5U

I work from home so I probably make a few cups every morning. It's easy to maintain and I can buy my beans in bulk online. But yeah...that upfront cost...

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Surfpossum this is an intervention. Please sit down. We care about you.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    i prefer cold old coffee to new hot coffee
    every time
    which is nice when my husband doesnt finish a batch of coffee and I get to have the leavings before he makes the new one

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    The news article saying 25 cups of coffee isn’t bad for you was directed at me.

I don't drink much coffee now, but when I was in the navy, I know I drank 15-25 cups on a lot of days. Especially underway.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I just purchased a Bodum 8 cup carafe style pour over last week. Paired with some high quality fresh ground coffee I'm really impressed. Also it feels just a bit fancy. Presentation certainly adds to the enjoyment, I won't lie. Plus this was like $20, so well within budget.

oh5z90cprnmn.jpg

How does this work? Is clean up easier than a French press? I have the latter but using it at work is too much fuss to clean.

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    My roommate has a De'Longhi Dedica Manual Espresso Machine and we've been using Eye of the Tiger espresso beans from Equator Coffees. I'll usually pull a double and make an iced latte with unsweetened soy milk. It keeps me niiiiiice and jittery.

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    My wife was spending $30 a week at starbucks a couple of years ago. So I dug out my old Saeco Aroma and started making coffee for her in the mornings. After about a month of that, she started asking about upgrades :twisted: :twisted:.

Now I've a proper machine (Expobar Office Lever) and I enjoy 4-8 shots every single day (as does she).

You can't get it anymore, but the Gedeb Lot 83 from https://www.jbccoffeeroasters.com was the best coffee I've ever had in my life. Smelled like blueberries, tasted like fruit juice even as straight espresso. SOOOO GOOOD.

It's gotten so bad I can't even tell when I'm caffeinated anymore haha.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

No it's not?

Cold brew is when you leave ground coffee in water overnight in the fridge. The lack of heat and pressure means the extraction is radically different

I had no idea it was that simple, hmmm. I had thought you needed a special machine.

Question: will this work with coffee powder or do you need beans? I don’t have beans.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I just purchased a Bodum 8 cup carafe style pour over last week. Paired with some high quality fresh ground coffee I'm really impressed. Also it feels just a bit fancy. Presentation certainly adds to the enjoyment, I won't lie. Plus this was like $20, so well within budget.

oh5z90cprnmn.jpg

How does this work? Is clean up easier than a French press? I have the latter but using it at work is too much fuss to clean.

I'm not sure how that specific pour over coffee maker works, it looks like it might have a permanent plastic/steel filter, but in general I find pour overs to be the easiest to clean. My pour over Chemex maker looks similar to the Bodum. You put a paper filter in the top, you pour the coffee grounds in there, and then you pour water over the grounds. The pouring requires some precision so that you saturate the grounds evenly and with the right amount of water so that the extraction is balanced. Because of this the pouring can be fussier than a french press. However once you're done you just toss the filter with the grounds in it in the garbage and then rinse the glass carafe. The carafe does not have any small nooks or crannies so it's super easy to rinse out. It's just more involved to actually make the coffee.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I've gone through a few iterations of how best to make a big batch of cold brew with minimal fuss, since it's summer and both my wife and I drink some amount during the day. I used to just dump grounds in a pitcher with water and let it sit for a day, then pour it through a filter, but the filtration takes a long time and it's annoying to dig the wet grounds out of the pitcher into the trash, plus the pitcher wasn't quite big enough.

My next design involved poking holes in large nested tupperware containers with some paper filters in between them. That made a larger batch but it was almost as annoying to clean the grounds, plus draining the actual cold brew still took a long time.

Next I tried using a cotton bag that's used for making nut milk but also is recommended for cold-brew; basically a giant reusable tea-bag. I think this is probably the most virtuous method (most green at least), but again, cleaning out the grounds is still a mess and there's more fine sediment that seeps through than I'd like.

If there were inexpensive giant paper bags of about the same size I would try those, but so far I haven't been able to find any. So my current method is to make my own big tea-bag style things out of big commercial basket-style paper filters that I'd bought to use with the tupperware method; each one can hold about 2/3 cup of grounds and still close the edges with a twist-tie. I float a few of those satchels in a pitcher of water for a day. I was worried there wouldn't be enough circulation but so far it seems to work pretty well, and best of all when it's done filtering I can just pick the bags out and toss them in the compost.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited June 2019

*SNIP*

This one specifically is pretty easy. on the top there is a metal screen where you pour your grounds (rough ground, 7-8 out of 10 on a store grinder), then pour the hot water over them. It's pretty much just a big pourover vessel. When I'm done I let the filter with the grounds dry out for a few hours and then just dump them and rinse out the filter. For the vessel I just rinse it out with water and set it to dry. It's coffee, so its not like it has to be washed with soap all that often, or at all. I find it easier to clean than a french press, and I find my coffee is less gritty, though you do get a bit thick coffee right at the bottom of the vessel.

If you go with a Chemex brand they are designed to be used with a paper filter so clean up is even easier, but you do lose out on some of the oils from the coffee. I also prefer the Bodum's design aesthetically, over the Chemex.

For the OXO cold brew station this is what it is. Pretty much a tank up top where you put in the grounds, and when it's done you put in the Carafe that comes with it down below and drain the cold brew into it. To be fair there are dozens of ways to make cold brew, I just like the specific design of this one in particular.

0yyt7l0f1a2o.jpg

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Yeah, the Chemex filters do filter out a lot of oils. It creates a cup of coffee that is very different from a french press or a pour over that uses a reusable metal filter. I think that's why I like having different options, they all create a different result from the same beans.

• Options
    Honk wrote: »

No it's not?

I had no idea it was that simple, hmmm. I had thought you needed a special machine.

Question: will this work with coffee powder or do you need beans? I don’t have beans.

You don't need beans, grounds are fine. I wouldn't use instant powder, but anything you're brewing normal coffee with should work great.

KalTorak wrote: »
    I've gone through a few iterations of how best to make a big batch of cold brew with minimal fuss, since it's summer and both my wife and I drink some amount during the day. I used to just dump grounds in a pitcher with water and let it sit for a day, then pour it through a filter, but the filtration takes a long time and it's annoying to dig the wet grounds out of the pitcher into the trash, plus the pitcher wasn't quite big enough.

My next design involved poking holes in large nested tupperware containers with some paper filters in between them. That made a larger batch but it was almost as annoying to clean the grounds, plus draining the actual cold brew still took a long time.

Next I tried using a cotton bag that's used for making nut milk but also is recommended for cold-brew; basically a giant reusable tea-bag. I think this is probably the most virtuous method (most green at least), but again, cleaning out the grounds is still a mess and there's more fine sediment that seeps through than I'd like.

If there were inexpensive giant paper bags of about the same size I would try those, but so far I haven't been able to find any. So my current method is to make my own big tea-bag style things out of big commercial basket-style paper filters that I'd bought to use with the tupperware method; each one can hold about 2/3 cup of grounds and still close the edges with a twist-tie. I float a few of those satchels in a pitcher of water for a day. I was worried there wouldn't be enough circulation but so far it seems to work pretty well, and best of all when it's done filtering I can just pick the bags out and toss them in the compost.

How much is a big batch? I use a french press which is like 50 oz or something and it's nice. Brew it for 12 hours in the press, take it out, press down, pour into pitcher. Wet grounds now located at bottom of french press. Remove now (<60s) or let dry for even easier removal. If you're making 200 oz or something I can see how it might be difficult. Could you get a real big pitcher and build yourself a french press filter of the right size?

sig.gif
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Thanks PP I’m gonna try to do one right now for tomorrow!

Exciting!!

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I’m probably doing aeropress wrong because I don’t do a lot of the fussy stuff like inverting it or measuring water temp within a few degrees but I don’t really care it’s still good to me

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    I’m probably doing aeropress wrong because I don’t do a lot of the fussy stuff like inverting it or measuring water temp within a few degrees but I don’t really care it’s still good to me

INFIDEL!

(Nah, do it so it tastes good to you, the rest is just refinement)

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I know I don’t grind it nearly fine enough.

I tend to grind my beans too fine for French Press and too coarse for Aero

It’s the worst of both worlds

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    At my friend's wedding they had self serve coffee with dessert, but the tanks had espresso in them instead of coffee.

I wanted to see how a whole cup of espresso would taste.

It was amazing. But then...

https://youtu.be/tMWKpcmC2NU

Give me a traditional Cuban or Vietnamese coffee (3-4 shots, plus enough condensed milk to turn it into coffee compote) and I can play the Duncan Hills jingle at full speed.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    RightfulSinRightfulSin Registered User regular
    Ok. I need some assistance from those who have more experience. I recently was gifted a French press, but have no experience with using one. I tend to drink cold brew most of the time, cutting it with cold/warm water due to the concentration of it. Anybody got any advice on using a French Press? I already use a grinder to buy myself fresh beans for my cold brew too. Thanks.

"If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    I have my French press routine down

30g grinds from the burr grinder on the coarsest setting, water straight from the kettle (boils at 203F here), 500g of water, brew for 4-6 minutes depending on roast (I'll let lighter roasts go a little longer) and my current desperation for caffeine

I've been slumming it with grocery store Peets beans lately. I need to start getting them straight from a roaster again.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    Ok. I need some assistance from those who have more experience. I recently was gifted a French press, but have no experience with using one. I tend to drink cold brew most of the time, cutting it with cold/warm water due to the concentration of it. Anybody got any advice on using a French Press? I already use a grinder to buy myself fresh beans for my cold brew too. Thanks.

Sounds like you're doing it right! Just combine grounds and water at whatever temperature and ratio you like, wait (5 min for mine for normal being), gently press down on handle, pour out, clean French press. Fresh beans will taste good!

sig.gif
  • Options
    I have my French press routine down

30g grinds from the burr grinder on the coarsest setting, water straight from the kettle (boils at 203F here), 500g of water, brew for 4-6 minutes depending on roast (I'll let lighter roasts go a little longer) and my current desperation for caffeine

I've been slumming it with grocery store Peets beans lately. I need to start getting them straight from a roaster again.

Yeah this is all pretty similar to what I do. The grind I use isn't the coarsest possible but it's definitely coarser than what I'd use for other brewing methods.

Another thing I do is stir or swirl the grounds after I've added the water.

• Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    This thread is perfectly timed as my nespresso pod supply dried up and I splashed out on a burr grinder and aeropress. Currently working to get the water to coffee ratio down.

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I like coffee.

And by coffee, I mean mocha, because fuck drinking something that bitter.

:D

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    I like coffee.

And by coffee, I mean mocha, because fuck drinking something that bitter.

:D

Is there a way to do a mocha that isn't a total sugar bomb? Because if so, I'll try.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I don't have the time or energy to invest into alternative brewing methods, and I didn't notice such a marked increase in quality when I went to a local joint brewing Intelligentsia and doing the whole shebang, so

I'm an auto drip kind of guy. 11 scoops of whatever preground Peet's is $7/# for a 12 cup pot, water out of a Brita, splash of 2%. It's comfortingly mediocre/good.

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I suspect that finding a decent autodrip pot would totally improve coffee quality to rival more sophisticated methods, but manufacturers don't bother since folks who take it seriously want the ritual of glassware, or the convenience of a Nespresso or Kuerig.

Looking at Wirecutter or similar about this shows inconsistent reviews and basically tilted bullshit from reviewers pining for their Chemex instead of comparing apples-to-apples.

Hamilton Beach has Wirecutter's recommended economy auto drip pot - 9 cupper for $30ish, and it did make a good cup!

Only problem: Hamilton Beach switched to a proprietary carafe with these steep corners that shatter if you glance sternly at them. Replacements are $20 plus shipping only available direct from HB.

We since purchased a copy of the same Cuisinart we burned out that was on our registry; 4.5 years of daily use and we finally smothered it since I neglected to move it out from under the cupboard during brew the whole time. We picked the same one my parents have had for 20 some years. While not transcendent, I've never had a problem with it.

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1Uj6RPbUXQ

Incidentally, Rare Earth is one of the best channels on YouTube.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.