As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Godzilla, King of the [Movies]

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019

Edit: it’s my most perfect top of the page in my entire life.

davidsdurions on
  • NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    I am irrationally hopeful that B&T3 will be a worthwhile movie and not a bucket of warm slop.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »
    I am irrationally hopeful that B&T3 will be an EXCELLENT! movie and not a bucket of warm slop.

• NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Odds on de-aging tech in B&T3?

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Our amazing production designer on Kong: Skull Island Stefan Dechant hid the actual camera that was used in the 1933 film in one of the scenes.

7yCQvSW.jpg

nibXTE7.png
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I am irrationally hopeful that B&T3 will be a worthwhile movie and not a bucket of warm slop.

I'm hoping it will be a stealth prequel to John Wick.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »

“Dude, your wife has cancer.”
    “Bogus.”

5gsowHm.png
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »

“Dude, your wife has cancer.”
    “Bogus.”

"Bodacious three-taps bro."

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I wonder if they'll hug and then call eachother fags?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Dark Phoenix wasn't good but it wasn't this dumpster fire it was made out to be, it's a generic 5/10 that is bookended by a really good action set piece at the beginning and a great fight scene at the end, and then a whole bunch of clearly reshot bleh in the middle. In a way it perfectly encapsulates how terrible Jean is as a character a optic blast zapt.

We're now in 1992 even though the only thing that looks like it is the cars, and after the X-Men save the space shuttle from some solar radiation blip that threw it out of whack Jean is hit with the Phoenix force and starts to get overwhelmed, hurting people, has a sad, until aliens show up and want to take that power and use it for their own purposes. X-Men fight Brotherhood, X-Men and Brotherhood fight aliens, yada yada. If you've read the comic it does a better job at least than X3 although it still has massive gaps that hurt the story (everything seems to take place over 2 days).

The biggest fault of the movie is trying to shoehorn all these other people from the previous movies into a film that is supposed to be primarily a Scott/Jean story. Cyclops isn't shown as a leader in this, that's saved for Mystique, who is incredibly annoying and obnoxious for her time in the film and being so unnecessarily hostile to Charles that I wondered if it was Steve Rogers beneath that CGI blue face (there is an "X-Women" snarky line that is cringey and out of place as though a writer or Lawrence read one blurb of a blog bitching about X-Men and seemingly ignoring the Claremont stuff), yet she is made to be the team leader, which just pushes Cyclops/Storm/Nightcrawler/Quicksilver to the sides. And Scott, while shown to be in a relationship with Jean, is like #3 on her list of feels, he seems to have a better relationship with Storm than he does Jean. And when you remove that whole love aspect and replace it with family, like damn yo Fast & Furious and dribble about family is better presented and executed.

Macavoy is really trying and the highlight of the movie, and his take on an older Charles who is finally getting somewhere with mutants being accepted is nice and feels like his Ultimate X-Men character. Fassbender and Nicholas Hoult aren't giving 100% but do their job well like they know the finish line is in sight so just make an effort, and for as little as the newer X-Men are in it they're good too although Evan Peters just plain isn't in the second half of the movie (reshoot scheduling I bet). But man is Lawrence just checked out and bringing all her scenes down, and the anger you get from her feels more like she's mad she had to be a part of this movie which makes her look more like a jerk. Jessica Chastain is terrible but that's largely split between both her performance (she thinks she's playing Thanos or something) while also having her character be really pointless and just an excuse for generic alien baddie on par with the Chitauri, when in the comics the aliens they play would have had a better through-line going with a revenge story from Claremont return to Uncanny X-Men in early '00s.

The CGI is wonky in places and it's funny how you can tell Mystique is 90% CGI now, Beast is about 50/50 CGI/makeup, and Nightcrawler is ~95% makeup and that seems to all come down to the celebrity hierarchy of the actors (the movie comes so close to a swashbuckling moment of Kurt but then reverts to his X2 style and it just made me sad for crushing my hopes). And again, for being 1992, it never looks that way, either still the 80's or it's 2013; Dazzler shows up for a minute in her classic 70's look yet is playing EDM music when she would clearly be Paula Abdul and hell let her rock that 80's fashion style. And those absolutely bitchin' uniforms from the end of Apocalypse? Gone, you never see them, instead they wear these poor imitations of the Grant Morrison New X-Men era standard uniforms. Plus the extra mutants they have that are always fun to pick out? Virtually non-existent; Selene is completely different to what she is in the comics, and there's a dude who is supposed to be Red Lotus who, looking up, they just flat out changed his name and powers. One visual joke I did like was later in the film, you see the police from the "Mutant Containment (or Criminal) Unit" show up and they're all wearing MCU tags on them which was a nice little joke especially now that Fox was sold.

So really, not a waste, but not something that embraced the X-Men comic cheese like Apocalypse did, nor did it have any real humanity to it like Logan or DoFP. Still better than X3 or Wolverine Origins or even the first X-Men I'd say. And there's no cool Quicksilver music montage this time, that's the real travesty.

• TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    MV5BMTkxMTczNTA4Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDAyMzgwODM@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,674,1000_AL_.jpg

So, I watched Mother today! Oh god.

Serious spoilers for the movie...but no one should watch it, so just read my spoilers.
    So.

This anti-abortion/pro-life whatever you choose to call it propaganda movie snuck its way onto netflix. Holy shit. I am not joking.

The robot, of course, is a literal abortion machine that practices eugenics. It has been raising children (which they purposefully have Daughter interact with an emybro in an artificial womb and notice it has a heartbeat) and testing them as they grow to make a superior race of humans because its hivemind decided to wipe out humanity to make only the undesirable wiped from the planet. We learn this late in the film after Daughter finds other children's failed test scores and it literally flashes ABORTED on the screen over the literal girl's face. Later, Daughter finds a bone mixed into the ashes of the incinerator where Mother has burned the failed children to death.

Before this, Hilary Swank shows up! Hilary Swank hates and fears Mother! Let's make sure to note that Hilary Swank's character in the film is wearing a stark white robe while Daughter wears a dark red jumpsuit! She is religious and prays in the film! Mother tries to cast doubt on Swank by lying to Daughter what she is doing. Mother lies to Daughter about the bullet found in Swank's abdomen by saying it matches the gun Swank was carrying. Swank asks Daughter if she actually saw the bullets to compare. Daughter does this and finds Mother is lying to her about this as well. Swank also has a line where she looks horrified while relaying to Daughter that the machines burned babies alive before her very eyes.

Anyway, Swank and Daughter escape because obviously living in poverty (truth) is better than living in a comfortable home. (lie)

The Daughter abandons her newborn baby brother to escape with Swank. At this point we have Daughter strip half of her red jumpsuit off to reveal a stark white tank top. She also literally follows in Swank's foot steps on a beach.

Swank is living in a shipping container. At this point there is no doubt Swank is a good person who just wanted to save Daughter and raise her as her own. I.E. Swank wants to adopt her because Daughter escaped before being ABORTED by Mother. Swank opts to stay behind and let Daughter save Brother from Mother. Btw, Daughter chose Brother from the embryo stacks, this is important later!

Mother has now surrounded the bunker with armed guards. (like a clinic does, olol)

Daughter demands to see Mother. She is allowed in. She literally convinces Mother that eugenics and killing children is wrong and then she shoots Mother in the chest with a gun, literally destroying the ABORTION machine.

Cue scene where another robot enters Swank's shipping container. It is Mother (hivemind, they all think the same and are uncaring robots, lolz) and she looks over at Swank's shrine to the Virgin Mary. She prods at the Virgin Mary statue and says "You believe you have a higher purpose." She looks to Swank. "Not anymore" and Swank is murdered. (Literally martyred!)

The last scene is Daughter cradling Brother (who is clearly now Son) while looking over the vast stores of unborn children that she has saved.
    I am fucking blown away that this was put on Netflix.

I don't see any reviews talking about this. Am I losing my mind?

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    Meh, I guess I just turned my brain off and watched a competent, if unimportant, sci-fi movie.

Number One Tricky
  • FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    I wonder if they'll hug and then call eachother fags?

I absolutely love B&T, but yes.

There's a fair amount of... uncomfortable material there to be had.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Well thankfully I believe both Alex Winter and Keanu Reeves are not the same people they were back when they did B&T first two films. Like I really doubt they'd do the same "gag" in 2019.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    I am Mother -
    Sounds less like Eugenics and Abortion and more like humans are fucking terrible so an AI kills them all, then starts humanity over with humans it has raised to value a specific set of ethics. Eugenics would be more people picked for certain genetic reasons, this sounds like moral and philosophical reasons for their selection. Woman exists purely to reinforce that point in Daughter.

• BobbleBobble Registered User regular

Well he's already well acquainted with Death.

• SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    MV5BMTkxMTczNTA4Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDAyMzgwODM@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,674,1000_AL_.jpg

So, I watched Mother today! Oh god.

Serious spoilers for the movie...but no one should watch it, so just read my spoilers.
    So.

This anti-abortion/pro-life whatever you choose to call it propaganda movie snuck its way onto netflix. Holy shit. I am not joking.

The robot, of course, is a literal abortion machine that practices eugenics. It has been raising children (which they purposefully have Daughter interact with an emybro in an artificial womb and notice it has a heartbeat) and testing them as they grow to make a superior race of humans because its hivemind decided to wipe out humanity to make only the undesirable wiped from the planet. We learn this late in the film after Daughter finds other children's failed test scores and it literally flashes ABORTED on the screen over the literal girl's face. Later, Daughter finds a bone mixed into the ashes of the incinerator where Mother has burned the failed children to death.

Before this, Hilary Swank shows up! Hilary Swank hates and fears Mother! Let's make sure to note that Hilary Swank's character in the film is wearing a stark white robe while Daughter wears a dark red jumpsuit! She is religious and prays in the film! Mother tries to cast doubt on Swank by lying to Daughter what she is doing. Mother lies to Daughter about the bullet found in Swank's abdomen by saying it matches the gun Swank was carrying. Swank asks Daughter if she actually saw the bullets to compare. Daughter does this and finds Mother is lying to her about this as well. Swank also has a line where she looks horrified while relaying to Daughter that the machines burned babies alive before her very eyes.

Anyway, Swank and Daughter escape because obviously living in poverty (truth) is better than living in a comfortable home. (lie)

The Daughter abandons her newborn baby brother to escape with Swank. At this point we have Daughter strip half of her red jumpsuit off to reveal a stark white tank top. She also literally follows in Swank's foot steps on a beach.

Swank is living in a shipping container. At this point there is no doubt Swank is a good person who just wanted to save Daughter and raise her as her own. I.E. Swank wants to adopt her because Daughter escaped before being ABORTED by Mother. Swank opts to stay behind and let Daughter save Brother from Mother. Btw, Daughter chose Brother from the embryo stacks, this is important later!

Mother has now surrounded the bunker with armed guards. (like a clinic does, olol)

Daughter demands to see Mother. She is allowed in. She literally convinces Mother that eugenics and killing children is wrong and then she shoots Mother in the chest with a gun, literally destroying the ABORTION machine.

Cue scene where another robot enters Swank's shipping container. It is Mother (hivemind, they all think the same and are uncaring robots, lolz) and she looks over at Swank's shrine to the Virgin Mary. She prods at the Virgin Mary statue and says "You believe you have a higher purpose." She looks to Swank. "Not anymore" and Swank is murdered. (Literally martyred!)

The last scene is Daughter cradling Brother (who is clearly now Son) while looking over the vast stores of unborn children that she has saved.
    I am fucking blown away that this was put on Netflix.

I don't see any reviews talking about this. Am I losing my mind?

I watched this and kind of enjoyed it. Most of the things you noticed were not things that I even thought about, but I don't think you are wrong either.
    One things I will say though is that I think Swank's character was presented as lying and controlling just like Mother was. She promised the girl a community and friends, but really just wanted her to live alone with her. At one point when the girl is in shock that there are no other humans, Swank's character says something like "It's ok, I'll take care of you". So she's traded life alone with a controlling robot mother for life alone with a different lying, controlling religious mother figure. I don't think it was the girl's intention to rescue her brother and bring her back to Swank, I think she was leaving Swank for good.

At the end of the movie, the Daughter is set up to raise kids alone in the compound and it's implied that this was Mother's intention all along. The fact that Mother was a hivemind with an army of murderbots standing outside the door the whole time makes the whole conflict taking place inside the compound between her and Swank seem like an act.

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    I watched Godzilla on the weekend. I was originally going to watch Dark Phoenix, but made an “arrived at the Cineplex” time decision that I should watch a movie that at least some people seem to really enjoy over one that’s getting “it wasn’t terrible” reviews at best.

I decided two things after watching Godzilla:

Firstly, it wasn’t for me.
    The writing often hand waived pretty hard how fast something could get from point A to B (even considering the hollow earth stuff), I was irked by things like such a small nuke having such a big blast, and the crunch time deciphering of ancient writing to provide back story.

Secondly, whatever, it was awesome.
    I do kinda wish that the mom character had stuck with her guns and went down as a villain. Also, I feel like it was unclear just how much the daughter knew - she initially seemed totally not aware of her mother’s intentions and loyalties, but the mother character like was “honey, we talked about this.” So I dunno. Doesn’t really matter. Movie was a ton of fun. I’d watch most of it again.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    I watched Godzilla on the weekend. I was originally going to watch Dark Phoenix, but made an “arrived at the Cineplex” time decision that I should watch a movie that at least some people seem to really enjoy over one that’s getting “it wasn’t terrible” reviews at best.

I decided two things after watching Godzilla:

Firstly, it wasn’t for me.
    The writing often hand waived pretty hard how fast something could get from point A to B (even considering the hollow earth stuff), I was irked by things like such a small nuke having such a big blast, and the crunch time deciphering of ancient writing to provide back story.

Secondly, whatever, it was awesome.
    I do kinda wish that the mom character had stuck with her guns and went down as a villain. Also, I feel like it was unclear just how much the daughter knew - she initially seemed totally not aware of her mother’s intentions and loyalties, but the mother character like was “honey, we talked about this.” So I dunno. Doesn’t really matter. Movie was a ton of fun. I’d watch most of it again.

Godzilla mom:
    I agree in wishing the mom had just gone out evil, only because I don't think they made her near sympathetic enough for the redemption arc to work. Redemption arcs are fine in principle, but when your character just killed millions of people, you need a pretty solid execution to pull it off, and this was not solid.

Not a huge quibble, since most of the human stuff didn't work for me anyway, but yeah.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    So between a conversation about bad movies we love and a tweet by Jay Leno about a car he's going to review, I watched The Wraith tonight. Yeah it still sucks, and yeah I still enjoyed myself. Between the cheezy plot and hammy acting there were the things like the boom mike shadow in shots and props out of order in the story. But the nostalgia is strong with this one, lol.

The Wraith is a great terrible movie of you're a kid.

It had a cool dude driving a cool car, that was enough.

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I watched American Gangster for the first time.

Denzel is phenomenal.

This may be my favorite movie.

If it wasn’t for Russel Crowe sucking energy out the air in all his scenes.

Also as an American Crime story and somewhat period piece, American Gangster>>>Scarface.

Beasts of no Nation was also great. It was funny seeing young pre-The Wire Idris Elba right after seeing staple refined older Idris Elba. Edit: my bad
    Post-Wire Idris Elba

Kadoken on
  • FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    Beasts of no Nation was awesome, I thought I was prepared to watch it when I did, but it still hit me like a truck.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Oh, random thing about Godzilla that I found weirdly jarring:

(Endgame spoilers in here too)
    I think that Dadman McWolfguy (I think that's his name) lived in was the same cabin that Tony Stark lived in in Endgame. I was like "Oh hey, there's the porch where Tony talked to Steve. And there's the sink where Tony did the dishes. And over there is the lake where people stood around at the end of the film for reasons."

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Saw Godzilla 2. Had much fun. That was so great. I even enjoyed the human parts, moreso than the first movie after the first act. Spoilers:
    Also I'm not sure why people think Kong won't be a threat because Godzilla beat Ghidorah. Ghidorah beat Godzilla twice in the last fight, and Godzilla only won through Mothras sacrifoce ( :( ) and being supercharged by a nuclear bomb that took a long to to charge him into super Godzilla.

Normal Godzilla and normal Kong should be a good fight. Also looking at the stinger, it's very obvious it'll be a Batman v Superman switcharoo where they fight either a restored Ghidorah or Mecha Ghidorah.

Hold on now,
    Godzilla had the fight won as soon as it went into the Ocean. Humans screwed Godzilla out of the easy W with their dumb ass oxygen destroyer. The last fight wouldn't have even happened if people kept their missiles in their own business.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Saw Rocketman yesterday.

I'm going to have Elton John songs lodged in my brain for fuckin' weeks. (Not really that much of a hardship, dude is a hell of a tunesmith.)

Good flick, perhaps not outstanding, but enjoyed it a lot.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Oh, random thing about Godzilla that I found weirdly jarring:

(Endgame spoilers in here too)
    I think that Dadman McWolfguy (I think that's his name) lived in was the same cabin that Tony Stark lived in in Endgame. I was like "Oh hey, there's the porch where Tony talked to Steve. And there's the sink where Tony did the dishes. And over there is the lake where people stood around at the end of the film for reasons."
    I don't remember us actually seeing a cabin where he lived? We saw the home were Millie Bobbie Brown and Vera Farmiga lived, but Sad Dad McWolfguy was picked up by a helicopter in the middle of Wolf Country and flow directly to a Monarch facility, wasn't he?

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Saw Rocketman yesterday.

I'm going to have Elton John songs lodged in my brain for fuckin' weeks. (Not really that much of a hardship, dude is a hell of a tunesmith.)

Good flick, perhaps not outstanding, but enjoyed it a lot.

I don’t know about weeks

But I think it’s gonna be a long long time

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Alamo is giving us inflatable volleyballs for the Top Gun movie party.

steam_sig.png
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Alamo is giving us inflatable volleyballs for the Top Gun movie party.

After chasing sunsets
    One of life's simple joys
    Is playing with the boys!

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Saw Godzilla 2. Had much fun. That was so great. I even enjoyed the human parts, moreso than the first movie after the first act. Spoilers:
    Also I'm not sure why people think Kong won't be a threat because Godzilla beat Ghidorah. Ghidorah beat Godzilla twice in the last fight, and Godzilla only won through Mothras sacrifoce ( :( ) and being supercharged by a nuclear bomb that took a long to to charge him into super Godzilla.

Normal Godzilla and normal Kong should be a good fight. Also looking at the stinger, it's very obvious it'll be a Batman v Superman switcharoo where they fight either a restored Ghidorah or Mecha Ghidorah.

Hold on now,
    Godzilla had the fight won as soon as it went into the Ocean. Humans screwed Godzilla out of the easy W with their dumb ass oxygen destroyer. The last fight wouldn't have even happened if people kept their missiles in their own business.
    Doesn’t change the fact that outside of his home field advantage (and Ghidorah being at a huge disadvantage being a flying/terrestrial creature), open water, Ghidorah beat him throughly three times in the same fight. One he recovered from, one required Mothras sacrifice, and the last required a suicide diversion to give him time to go nuclear.

Ghidorah was absolutely a very hard fight, but Godzilla won through outside intervention.

Kong, on land, should be pretty even. Remember Gozdilla had a hard time with the Mutos in the first film.

-Loki- on
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    The Alamo should hand out tanning oil and aviator shades if they really wanna get serious

How big is Kong supposed to be? I know they're supposed to be supersizing him for the next movie, but I still got the impression Kong was pretty small compared to Big G, who's like almost 400 feet tall in the latest movies.

A little Googling shows that 2014 Godzilla was about 350' and the most recent Kong was about 100' and now I want to see Kong scale Godzilla like the Empire State Building and swat down airplanes.

• TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    The Alamo should hand out tanning oil and aviator shades if they really wanna get serious

We got one of those too.

steam_sig.png
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    How big is Kong supposed to be? I know they're supposed to be supersizing him for the next movie, but I still got the impression Kong was pretty small compared to Big G, who's like almost 400 feet tall in the latest movies.

Surprisingly, they actually address that directly in Skull Island. The dude who has been trapped on the island says Kong is big and he's going to get a lot bigger, which not only showed some solid foresight for getting him into a Godzilla movie but also served as a decent explanation for why Kong was at a size that humans could do something to him.

Should be something like 50 years between Skull Island and the next Godzilla movie in the setting, so that's plenty of time for Kong to hit the gym and get up to his fighting weight.

• LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Ugh.

Men in Black International? More like Meh-n In Black Uninteresting.
    What a boring ass movie. Just so disappointing. I wanted to like it. But theres not much there to like. It wasn't dumb like 2, but it didnt have any of the charm the rest of the series has. Watch at your own risk.

Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Aw, that's a shame, I like both the leads. Not a surprise, though, the MIB movies went downhill fast after the first one. Got way way too caught up in shiny special effects instead of weird alien stuff.

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Beasts of No Nation feels like someone saw Blood Diamond and said, “lets take all this vapid Hollywood stuff out and do a story similar to this with a lot more competency. Also no whites.”

Which is good.

One other thing about Beasts of No Nation is that there are shocking moments but they’re not shot or framed in an exploitative way. They’ll show you the bad stuff but usually cut away after the worst is done so you can look again and simmer on the aftermath. Blood Diamond doesn’t have these and it’s not a comparison but it felt worth commenting on.

Also saw the Pianist. As a precursor to Schindler’s List. Blood Diamond as a palette cleanser in between.

Woof. Great movie, Adrian Brody is rad.

Also saw Apocalypse Now and that’s a pretty solid movie that I would say is great for its middle third and is okay on the introduction and ending.

Edit: I love the evil rap music and weirdly TMNT movie Foot base for the rebels.

Kadoken on
    Man, how do you fuck up Thor and Valkyrie fighting aliens in sweet-ass black suits? This should have been a gimme.

This discussion has been closed.