As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Looking for an echo show like bedside device that does youtube

azith28azith28 Registered User regular
Basically I want something that has nice clock and alarm functions, let me schedule a youtube video, OR download a video recording (MP3/4 etc) to the device to use as an alarm, along with maybe a radio function, or a web browser that would let me access a radio stream.

It's my understanding that the Echo devices no longer are allowed to access youtube (without hacking it i guess) for some reason. are there other generic brands that don't have limitations ?

Thanks

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    The Lenovo Smart Clock just came out at $80, and uses Google Assistant for voice stuff. I assume it can access YouTube since the larger ones can.

Echo devices CAN access YouTube via the Silk browser, but it’s not as elegant as within the Google ecosystem. If you are already wired into Alexa, then you can also use a Fire HD 8 tablet (plug it into power and put it in show mode) or the upcoming Echo Show 5 is basically the same as what I described above only first-party and ten bucks more.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    I know the echo can be tricked into opening a browser, but as you mention, since its not part of the standard features, the alarm isnt going to let you link something to it that way. Will check out the Lenovo thanks.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    the lenovo smart clock cannot access youtube like the larger ones.

You're wanting to get one of the smart displays, like the nest hub.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    isnt nest owned by google? I never understood why the alexa stuff suddenly stopped allowing youtube.