As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is it General? Is it Generational? Who knows Its GenCon!

BucketmanBucketman Call meSkraggRegistered User regular
GenCon 2019 is a short few weeks away!

Beautiful(?) Indianapolis Indiana, for 4 full days, becomes awash with wizards, space marines, super heroes, and smells nerds.

When: Thursday August 1st through Sunday August 4th 2019

Where: Indianapolis Indiana. The crossroads of America. Also it smells funny!

What: Card games, board games, LARPing, cosplay, figuring painting, Quiddish, Pilot a Mech. be part of a space ship crew, be in a True Dungeon, Settle various places but maybe Cattan?

So yeah GenCon is cool, I'm going to be there this year, maybe you will be to. Lets talk about what were looking forward to, what were planning on doing, and maybe we could set up a meetup.

Oh yeah a Pathfinder 2.0 is on sale there.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    My current itinerary is:

Thursday: KeyForge Sealed vault tour
    Friday: NISEI Netrunner event
    Saturday: L5R Proving Grounds.
    Any of the above: trying to figure out when I'm going to have time to get into the dealer's hall and get SR6.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    The wife and I got into a True Dungeon so that's our excitement for Friday that's planned. All the games she wanted to do sold out so we're gonna just stand around and see if someone doesn't show up for some

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I have a couple of board game demos signed up most days, and a couple of sessions of games I enjoy but don't get to play much with my usual group. Other than that nothing major - just time spent touring the dealer's hall and checking out new games and then signing up for other play sessions here and there if I end up with time to kill. And also plenty of time at the Battletech pods when the exhibit hall is closed. I usually try to do some King of Tokyo just because it's quick and you can win convention-exclusive monsters that my kids love, but they don't have much going on this year that I can see. Certainly not the usual schedule of games every 60-90 minutes.

I did get lucky the other night and upgraded from an airport hotel to a downtown hotel that's not exactly close (2.3 miles from the center) but includes free parking and free breakfast. At times where it's not a zillion degrees out I can make that walk and get some extra exercise, otherwise it should be a pretty cheap Lyft/Uber. I also spotted rooms at 2 hotels that were actually right there and connected by the skybridge, but they were at least $40 more per night, plus $35 or more for parking each night so I would have to end up paying $10-15 per night to leave my car in one of the cheap lots to the south for 4 days straight. I feel like the further out downtown hotel makes a nice compromise, and it definitely beats previous years being way out at airport hotels and having to drive back and forth each day.

Ketar on
  • Options
    We got an Airbnb and theres a lot someone on Reddit recommended that is $65 flat for 4 full days of parking with unlimited in/out privileges and a shuttle to the convention center.

• Options
    Bucketman wrote: »
    We got an Airbnb and theres a lot someone on Reddit recommended that is $65 flat for 4 full days of parking with unlimited in/out privileges and a shuttle to the convention center.

Yeah, that's the lot I normally use - they're good. It's a reasonable walk if you feel like it to the con, but the shuttles run often enough that I only usually walked at the end of the day - the line for the shuttle can get extremely long when everyone is done for the day, and I usually didn't feel like waiting that long. I wouldn't want to leave my car sitting in one spot unmoved for 4 days though (which I probably would be doing if I booked one of the skybridge hotels). I also didn't want to spend $225+ extra just for the convenience of a close hotel, even it that convenience is mighty appealing. I could be smart and save that money! Or, more likely, buy an extra game or two with the perceived savings and still feel like I came out ahead :P

I waited a while to book this year while trying to decide between Gen Con by myself, or Lollapalooza with my wife. By the time I made up my mind I couldn't find anything I was happy with on Airbnb.

• Options
    I bought tickets for True Dungeon Live off of a guy on their forums. They bought the full lot and him and his buddy were trying to make sure they got good people. Sent him the money, he requested me as a friend on the GenCon site...now I am very impatiently waiting for him to send the tickets. I think I'll give it until July 1st and ask whats up because I have until the 6th to file a complaint with PayPal.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Well hello there, Gencon thread!

I'll be attending this year as well, my fourth such adventure, the second time I'll be working at a booth (I'll be running demos for Shadows of Brimstone at the Flying Frog Productions booth, look for a tall brown haired guy in glasses who needs to cut back on the Steak n Shake), and my first time helping with setup and tear down, so it's going to be one hell of a week!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed to be able to get in on a True Dungeon run, but that might have to be a last minute kind of thing. Otherwise I'll have a few hours to run around and snap up a few odds and ends for friends, maybe an item or two for myself, but mostly I just enjoy showcasing a game I love to dozens of players (new and veterans alike).

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I will be passing this year, but I wanted to answer the thread title:

It's Geneva. As in Geneva Convention. The con started in Geneva, Wisconsin due to TSR being there, and so it is a wargaming pun in a few different levels.

Which I find awesome, as it is a cool melting pot of all things gaming. :)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    I am going to be on a awesome boardgame hunt. I want my wife to play as many new games as possible because I have been given permission to get up to 3 games! also my good friends just got engaged and I want to get them a game as an engagement present

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    We're going just on Sunday cause we can't afford the full weekend

Most stuff will probably be gone, but hey I get to pop at the Leder Games booth and fall to my knees and tell them Root's my favorite game and embarrass myself, so that's something

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    On the plane, about 5’ish hours from now I should be meeting up with the booth crew, and then onto Gencon, wooooooo!

• Options
    I'm driving in from the Chicago area on Wednesday. I think I'm going to aim for arriving late afternoon, get checked in and then mosey over to Will Call to grab my badge and event tickets.

• Options
    TheColonelTheColonel ChicagolandRegistered User regular
    We're also hitting the road out of Chicago on Wednesday. Need to get down in time to get checked in, grab some dinner and then be ready for FFG's Inflight report.

• Options
    Are there any new games people are really looking forward to, or that might be worth looking out for?

I've been super crazed with home buying and moving and unpacking and furniture assembling and haven't really kept up with board game news the past couple of months. I want to get a look at Horrified, because I love the idea of the Universal monsters theme, but I don't know what really has buzz this year.

• Options
    Were going Friday through Sunday, but Friday is a bit hectic for us. Were leaving from the Chicagoland Area around 6:30, arriving around 9:30 (thanks time change) and we have a True Dungeon at 12:15.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Somebody play Cooper Island for me. That board is just eye-popping.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Cantido wrote: »

I'll look to see if they're doing demos at their booth. There are no Cooper Island sessions to sign up for, and it looks like it's supposed to release at Essen.

• Options
    By the way if you guys see me, be sure to say Hi! You'll recognize me because I'm the big dork.

• Options
    ... gonna need you to narrow that down a little.

• Options
    Do we wanna like...do a mini meetup? Like maybe we just all gather at the food trucks one day to grab some lunch together?

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Enjoy yourselves! It's always cool seeing the amount of positive energy around GenCon.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    About to leave our hotel and be miserable finding parking because we didn't want to get up early. Can't wait!

• Options
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    About to leave our hotel and be miserable finding parking because we didn't want to get up early. Can't wait!

There's this parking deck underneath the hotels that I've used for the last 2 times I've gone. Granted, I parked and left it there all convention. But it never seemed full!

• Options
    Mai-Kero wrote: »

I was clued into a parking lot thats by the stadium, $64 for 4 days, unlimited In and Out privileges. By the time I got to it the main lot was already sold out and I had to get the secondary but its still a hell of deal

• Options
    Thanks for the advice! We'll try out the secondary lot by the stadium

• Options
    Gate Ten parking are the folks with a zillion lots south or west of the stadium, that do good rates and unlimited in and out. I park with them every time I go.

• Options
    EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Not even at Gen Con myself (though I wanted to go) but Marvel Champions looks awesome. It's like a cross between Arkham LCG and LOTR LCG but it's Marvel and yeah.

Anyone here been able to get hands on it?

EriktheVikingGamer on
    Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • Options
    So tired.

So very, very, tired.

But I’m having an absolute blast.

Day one down!

• Options
    Very exhausted here. We ended up finding street parking for $6 like ten minutes away? I then got talked into renting one of those Bird scooters and spent some time being absolutely terrified on the way over. I also now understand why everyone that lives in cities hates them; they're literally everywhere cluttering all the sidewalks.

• Options
    BigPointyTeethBigPointyTeeth run away! run away! MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I've had three FFG LCGs that I tried to get into and eventually sold. I figured I was done with those, and then they had to announce Marvel Champions, so I've resigned myself to the fact that they managed to get me one last time. Maybe it'll give me a reason to stop buying everything for Marvel Legendary.

• Options
    EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    It seems like it's so much easier to set up than Legendary too.

Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • Options
    Hot and sweaty but whoo what a good first day. Got the new pathfinder

• Options
    Ketar wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »

I'll look to see if they're doing demos at their booth. There are no Cooper Island sessions to sign up for, and it looks like it's supposed to release at Essen.

For the record, no sign of Cooper Island at all when I checked their booth out. They had Watergate, Ragusa and Pipeline out to try out, and that was it.

• Options
    I came very close to buying one of those $400 jackets from the superhuman booth but resisted.

uwgpawqfujhn.jpeg

They look good but not $400 good.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Similarly I nearly bought a $175 set of wood stove and a $180 custom backpack but was able to hold myself back

Bucketman on
  • Options
    Well now that its Tuesday and I'm back to real world life, I can safely say I had a good time. It was warm, and packed, and I learned a lot about how I'd like to do GenCon in the future (More events less aimless wandering). I'd also like to give a shout out to @Ketar who met up with the wife and myself. Its always super great to meet people from the forums out in the wilds.

• Options
    TheColonelTheColonel ChicagolandRegistered User regular
    I got so caught up in GenCon excitement I forgot to check back into this thread. Next year we'll have to see about a proper PAForum meetup.

I'm still recovering. The con plague hit me sometime mid day Friday unfortunately which made the rest of the convention that much more exhausting, but we survived. Spent too much money, but got in a bunch of fun games.