As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Overwatch] Workshop now included.

• Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Purchasing lootboxes in OW feels like a dead feature. I might describe it as vestigial. There was a time when it made a kind of sense for a certain kind of player, but now? I can't imagine what scenario would result in someone spending money on them.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    There are plenty of people who are still happy to buy 10+ boxes when new event skins drop to get them rather than rely on leveling/arcade (though I think those same people are likely to have enough in game currency to just buy what they want)

• Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    There are plenty of people who are still happy to buy 10+ boxes when new event skins drop to get them rather than rely on leveling/arcade (though I think those same people are likely to have enough in game currency to just buy what they want)

See that's just it. I'd almost certainly buy the new Mei skin directly if I could. Given that it costs 3k gold but I've got around 2k, and that gold can only be spent on cosmetics, I'd also accept direct gold purchases.

But no. The best I can do is buy a chance to get the skin. Which, my moral opposition to gambling aside, is just a great way to be disappointed when you end up with tons of crap you don't want without getting the one thing you do want.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I play fairly regularly but not a lot at a time, so I don't have a ton of in-game cash. If there's an event with multiple skins that I really like (e.g. this event and last year's Summer Games event) then I'll absolutely throw a few bucks in to get a bunch of boxes at once. If the event is lackluster then yeah I'm not gonna buy boxes just for a shot at one specific skin. Still, "event with lots of cool items" is actually a pretty easy scenario to imagine spending a few bucks on.

• ChanceChance Registered User regular
    I could understand Anniversary being a tough sell for loot boxes though - odds of getting one of the new skins is awful (if you don't already have everything.)

See that's just it. I'd almost certainly buy the new Mei skin directly if I could. Given that it costs 3k gold but I've got around 2k, and that gold can only be spent on cosmetics, I'd also accept direct gold purchases.

But no. The best I can do is buy a chance to get the skin. Which, my moral opposition to gambling aside, is just a great way to be disappointed when you end up with tons of crap you don't want without getting the one thing you do want.

For $25 I'm pretty sure you'd get enough gold to make it to 3k.

What's she worth to ya?

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I can't really see paying more than US$5 for one skin, even a legendary that has special voice lines. Like, costume packs when City of Heroes went free to play were around that price. On the other hand, DLC Skins in Borderlands 2 are only $1 each, though I think they might've been more originally. But at anything in that range of pricing, I would be happy to spend as much as fifty or sixty bucks if I could just straight up buy the unlocks I wanted.

As it is, I haven't spent a dime on anything in OW since I pre-ordered the Origins Edition. Well, I did donate for the Mercy charity skin, though I haven't ever actually used it and probably never will.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    Are you suggesting that Moon Queen Mercy is worth less than fifteen dollars?
    ypocu6ncvsh5.jpg

This is blasphemy.

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Lucio Ball = backfilling match after match into games where the team is down 3-5 and whenever I'm not the goalie the person who is apparently afks through the ball coming their way.

Yeah, not playing that shitshow again.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Chance wrote: »
    Are you suggesting that Moon Queen Mercy is worth less than fifteen dollars?
    ypocu6ncvsh5.jpg

This is blasphemy.

It's a very nice skin, and I would've liked to have it, but I didn't have the OWL-watcher points, and yes, $15 for any one skin seems excessive to me. Maybe I've been spoiled on pricing by the games I've bought cosmetic stuff for (CoH, BL2, Ultra Street Fighter IV, some others I'm forgetting), but yeah. I feel like $1 to $2.50 per skin is about right, $5 at the most. I tend to make exceptions for charity events, though.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    edited June 2019
    *points finger most accusatorily!*

Witch.

Edit: Also I kept on swinging by to write for like three days - I've had awesome games tonight! Every night since Saturday I'm havin' some real excellent ones - some awesome, hard-fought losses and some awesome, hard-fought wins and some awesome hard carry games.

I'm lovin' Overwatch this week.

Chance on
    Nobody wrote: »
    Lucio Ball = backfilling match after match into games where the team is down 3-5 and whenever I'm not the goalie the person who is apparently afks through the ball coming their way.

Yeah, not playing that shitshow again.

Come with me to QP, where one healer just might be enough, it's okay to eat a loss and sometimes 6 DPS is the way to go.

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    I strongly suspect that Overwatch's monetization is not pulling in a lot of cash right now, and they don't seem to be doing anything about that. It's enough to justify more skins being made I guess, but it's not good enough to be the sole ongoing revenue model of a marquee franchise. I just can't imagine they keep adding major content for too much longer with only that amount of revenue to support it. I don't think they'll abandon the franchise though, which is why I expect a full sequel with both PvE and PvP elements.

• TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Dumped all my leftover Overwatch Bux into skins and dances...but before I did, my lootboxes tonight got me the Mei Beekeeper skin AND her dance! I am a lucky man.

I don't think this is the route they will go but for games like Overwatch (or as a Nintendo fan I could see myself extending this to Splatoon, Mario Kart, etc.), I absolutely wouldn't mind paying some sort of yearly fee ($15-$20 or something) to continue getting content and balance updates. Waaaaaaaay better than microtransactions/loot boxes imo.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
    edited June 2019
    Y'all need to post some more clips.

Edit:

Bam!

https://youtu.be/4ED7KECwDlM

Chance on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Who hasn't had a new legendary skin recently? That might be a clue about who gets a Summer event skin.

- tennis player Moira?
    - baseball bat Genji?
    - campout Tracer running around in a giant s'more costume?

edited June 2019
    Tracer anything would be awesome (I'd love baseball Tracer). Even something crappy like lightning.

Chance on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Tracer anything would be awesome (I'd love baseball Tracer). Even something crappy like lightning.

She has chicken legs.

Hiking trail Tracer.

emnmnme wrote: »

She has chicken legs.

Hiking trail Tracer.

Do Britons hike? I think a baseball outfit with pants would be pretty nice. Though I don't think they're big on baseball, which would mean soccer. Or football, if you're British.

Which would mean shorts and cleats.

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular

There’s baseball Zen and cricket Junkrat. Tracer will have to be something else. Is there another stickball game popular in the UK?

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

There’s baseball Zen and cricket Junkrat. Tracer will have to be something else. Is there another stickball game popular in the UK?

Fox Hunt Tracer.

Except she's obviously dressed like a fox and not a rich toff killing a poor animal.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    As it is, over the years Overwatch has actively diminished my enjoyment of loot boxes in general, both in Overwatch and in other games. I feel absolutely nothing about opening up a box and seeing 4 guaranteed duplicates 40-50 boxes in a row, especially given every now and then I might unlock a highlight intro or emote for the year one cast and I'll go "did I seriously not have that unlocked already?"

I guess I should be thankful that Blizzard has completely beaten out of me any drive or incentive to engage in gacha of any kind

edited June 2019
    emnmnme wrote: »

She has chicken legs.

Hiking trail Tracer.

Do Britons hike?

I think it's called 'rambling' in England. Dunno about the rest of Britain.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
    edited June 2019
    Then who the fuck is doing all this a-wassailing?

Edit: @surrealitycheck I'm sad that wasn't potg.

Chance on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    somebody stole it plus i felt with the doom music in the background it worked rather well

after decaying ive played nothing but mercy back into masters purely for the jollies, feels fitting with that account name

https://youtu.be/WP7AQiWYFeM

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    As it is, over the years Overwatch has actively diminished my enjoyment of loot boxes in general, both in Overwatch and in other games. I feel absolutely nothing about opening up a box and seeing 4 guaranteed duplicates 40-50 boxes in a row, especially given every now and then I might unlock a highlight intro or emote for the year one cast and I'll go "did I seriously not have that unlocked already?"

I guess I should be thankful that Blizzard has completely beaten out of me any drive or incentive to engage in gacha of any kind

Removing most duplicates a while back was a good choice, but yeah god forbid you start to get close to completing your collection because then it's dupe time again. I almost prefer the battle pass model, except I don't like the aggressive play time requirements there. I feel like there should be no deadline for a battle pass , so once you buy it you'll always get all its unlocks eventually.

• MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Oh, another stick and/or ball game in the UK?

Croquet. Lawn balls. Golf. Snooker. I would have said lacrosse but Roadhog took that, of all the options. There's still polo though, which is basically lacrosse with horses. Hell just give her a riding crop and outfit and call it Equestrian Tracer. Perfectly toffy.

Musicool on
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • SlortexSlortex In my chairRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Zek wrote: »

Removing most duplicates a while back was a good choice, but yeah god forbid you start to get close to completing your collection because then it's dupe time again. I almost prefer the battle pass model, except I don't like the aggressive play time requirements there. I feel like there should be no deadline for a battle pass , so once you buy it you'll always get all its unlocks eventually.

I'm sitting on something like 200 lootboxes. I'd been opening ones from the events, but I've even stopped doing that. I just... I just don't care. Wish I could sell them or something. Heck, I'd send all lootbox proceeds to charity in perpetuity if Blizzard would just remove the counter from my game.

Also, this has been bothering me for a couple of years now and I brought it up in a match the other night to nothing but crickets... on King of the Hill maps, why does the map name never match up with the splash screen they put up as the map is loading? Like, Nepal: Village will be loading, but they'll have art of what is clearly Nepal Sanctum on the loading screen. Drives me crazy.

Slortex on
    Musicool wrote: »
    Oh, another stick and/or ball game in the UK?

Croquet. Lawn balls. Golf. Snooker. I would have said lacrosse but Roadhog took that, of all the options. There's still polo though, which is basically lacrosse with horses. Hell just give her a riding crop and outfit and call it Equestrian Tracer. Perfectly toffy.

This seems the most possible. Automatically requires tight pants and a smart little jacket - that's practically her default skin.

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Oh oh how about skins of characters cosplaying as other characters? Tracer as McCree. Genji as Mercy. Junkrat as Mei. Pharah as, I dunno, Winston?

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Fox Hunt Tracer.

Except she's obviously dressed like a fox and not a rich toff killing a poor animal.

Fandom would love Tracer as a fox, and Widowmaker in jodhpurs and a red jacket.

Cherchez la femme indeed.

to truly play overwatch one must peer through the veil

https://youtu.be/2nEfIMViGIg

obF2Wuw.png
  • soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    It occurred to me while watching this highlight, that hog's hook is an overly-aggressive hello, and his ult is an overly-aggressive goodbye. You draw me close, you push me away, oh roadhog you're killing me. No, wait, you're killing me! This is not an amazing highlight but it features an aggressive hello and a long, long goodbye to poor baptiste, who really wanted to get the kill before lunar gravity had slowly finished its work. You can hear the "goooodbyyyyyyeee" as he slowly fades from view.

https://youtu.be/8yhE5jxDaxo

Yes yes these are some very good clips!

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Houston actually won last night against San Francisco by basically just using Sombra goats and showing some DPS variants to smack goats around too (A Doomfist/Sombra/Ana combo with Pharah was working well). And also keeping Danteh in the game, they got spanked hard without him on Eichenwalde and then turned around and held the Shock on Havana to that first turn and didn't even reach the point.

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Sombra Goats is honestly even worse than normal Goats

This discussion has been closed.