As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's a [Doom/Quake]! id Software's Classic Legacy of Eternal Carnage

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Had a look for the Doom Eternal Collectors Edition... holy crap, $370au? I still really want to pre order it, but lately even though Bethesdas games are on Steam, buying the physical copy gets you a Bethesda launcher key, which means buying the game again because fuck that launcher.

On the plus side, I noticed there's a Year One Pass, which includes two story campaign DLC packs. Which is awesome.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I would really love a Doomslayer helmet.

I'm not sure I trust Bethesda to produce a Doomslayer helmet worth owning.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Outside of like really cool looking statues of full characters I’m done with collector editions, they just end up wasting space or being packed away

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited June 2019

I understand the Fallout helmet wasn't that good quality.

But still, it's a Doom Slayer helmet. I wants it.

Also, the Deluxe edition comes with the Doot Revenant skin. And an extra level. Fucking sold.

doom-eternal-preorder-bonus.jpg

Campaign DLC sounds interesting. Looks like it's a prequel to Eternal playing as someone else.
    Year One Pass - Access to two campaign add-ons to release within the first year of DOOM Eternal’s launch date. Featuring new perspectives and new ways to play, these standalone stories explore the cataclysmic events that led to earth’s fall against the demons.

-Loki- on
  • Jeep-EepJeep-Eep Registered User regular
    My instincts are raising red flags - not least as whenever Beth gets memey, they're about to pull a fast one.

I would rather be accused of intransigence than tolerating genocide for the sake of everyone getting along. - @Metzger Meister
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    PS4/Xbone helmets are all sold out anyway so

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Don't give megacorporations $200 for something you're never going to use

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Don't give megacorporations $200 for something you're never going to use

Oh I'd be using that helmet

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    As someone with a fat head, I have real doubts about that helmet fitting.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    I'm still looking askance at those puzzle jumping sections in the gameplay video. I understand there was a decent amount of clambering about in the Doom '16, but it all felt like a pretty natural exploration of a useable world, even if it was often a useable world that was torn apart or on fire or whatever. I'm not getting that feeling from the climbing walls, dash orbs, and spinny super-mario-style fire beams.

Then again I'm still 100% going to buy this and play the shit out of it so I basically have to give them the benefit of the doubt.

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Very disappointed the collectors edition sold out so fast. I did manage to snag the Cyberpunk CE though. I have a pretty big head so I doubted the helmet would fit but it looks so cool

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I just want to not have to download 35gbs of data because the multiplayer that I don't touch got patched That's it, more DOOM will do fine otherwise

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    I just want to not have to download 35gbs of data because the multiplayer that I don't touch got patched That's it, more DOOM will do fine otherwise

This is something the entire industry needs to do. The new version of the Master Chief Collection should become the gold standard.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Is it weird that I wish we couldn't see any of the Doom Slayer's skin? I know we saw a bit of it at the very beginning of DOOM, but I liked it better when we were almost just the armor.

edited June 2019
    They're definitely showing more of the Slayer in this game; exposed skin, a view of his face, he vocalizes now.

I wonder if they're going to actually demystify him a bit. It'd be a bold move that I wouldn't normally have expected them to do as it'd be VERY easy to fuck up, but who knows.

Undead Scottsman on
    Also the first game was entirely first person. They specifically didn’t want to go out of first person, which is why they had you find the armour in the first level - so you can see what you look like.

What they showed already had pulled you out of first person several times. I like it, because the Doom Slayers armour looks awesome so seeing it more will be great, but it’s a definite shift in storytelling.

I’m up for a bit of demystifying though. I do like things to be explained. The first game sets you up as this force of nature that killed Hell so hard they spawned 100ft demons to fight you, and you killed those so hard that when they finally got you, they embedded you in solid rock, away from your armour, told legends about you, and worshipped you so you wouldn’t come back like some bogeyman that Hell was scared of.

They’ve done that story. I’d like to learn a bit about the Doom Slayer now that’s not a pants shitting bogeyman story from the things he brutally killed. There’s some great stuff there they can tell.

But yeah, it’s easy to fuck it up. Let’s hope they don’t.

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    The whole deal with the D’Argent kingdom or whatever strongly implies a specific story-based endpoint for this version of the Doomslayer, in a kind of Darktower-esque, Last Gunslinger kind of way.

• Jeep-EepJeep-Eep Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Also the first game was entirely first person. They specifically didn’t want to go out of first person, which is why they had you find the armour in the first level - so you can see what you look like.

What they showed already had pulled you out of first person several times. I like it, because the Doom Slayers armour looks awesome so seeing it more will be great, but it’s a definite shift in storytelling.

I’m up for a bit of demystifying though. I do like things to be explained. The first game sets you up as this force of nature that killed Hell so hard they spawned 100ft demons to fight you, and you killed those so hard that when they finally got you, they embedded you in solid rock, away from your armour, told legends about you, and worshipped you so you wouldn’t come back like some bogeyman that Hell was scared of.

They’ve done that story. I’d like to learn a bit about the Doom Slayer now that’s not a pants shitting bogeyman story from the things he brutally killed. There’s some great stuff there they can tell.

I've been saying for a while that I get a smell of trouble off this game; they're not likely to get the lightning twice in a row.

I would rather be accused of intransigence than tolerating genocide for the sake of everyone getting along. - @Metzger Meister
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Also there’s never really been the dedication to always being anonymous with the doom guy, at any point in the series really, including doom 2016.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    That trailer shows a ghost king, and it looks like at one point you're about to punch a wizard. Whatever the story is, I'm already into it and want to know more.

H9f4bVe.png
    Jeep-Eep wrote: »

I've been saying for a while that I get a smell of trouble off this game; they're not likely to get the lightning twice in a row.

I mean, I’m sure it’ll be fine. The gameplay still looks fantastic, other bits they’ve shown looks like it’s still pretty self aware. They’re just changing the story telling from the Doom Slayer being some Hell bogeyman to being an actual character.

• SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    Jeep-Eep wrote: »

I mean, I’m sure it’ll be fine. The gameplay still looks fantastic, other bits they’ve shown looks like it’s still pretty self aware. They’re just changing the story telling from the Doom Slayer being some Hell bogeyman to being an actual character.

Why not both?

The big thing with Doom 2016 was that the story was mostly optional, in that you could play the entire game and never read a journal entry about Imps (or anything else). It was there, it existed, but it didn't get in the way of the actual game. So long as they've kept this up for Eternal, we're going to be fine.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    The artwork says all you need to know about your motivations in this game:
    1560170769256.jpg
    1560170806051.jpg

That's one...

...hell of a rabbit.

zbhu9n2fza8f.jpg

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Darklyre wrote: »
    The artwork says all you need to know about your motivations in this game:
    1560170769256.jpg
    1560170806051.jpg

*Craig the concept artist submits the final version of the piece.*
    *The creative directors okay the work and it goes up on the buildings.*
    *Craig's Easter egg is revealed in towering glory.*
    "God damn it, Craig! Classic Craig!"

H9f4bVe.png
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Super excited about this game. I'm one of the weirdo's that reads every bit of lore I can find in the game.

The only thing that looks a little weird to me is the platform-y puzzle stuff. That said, these guys have earned my trust after Doom (2016) so I'm gonna give it a shot for sure.

I love that. Hopefully there’s more ridiculous stuff like that scattered through the game.

• DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    That's the kind of fast travel Bethesda needs more of.

• SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    Well that gives "it gets me from a to b" a whole new meaning.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    If you didn’t see Jeff on Giant Bombs Bethesda’s stream. Listening to him explain the flow of combat and seeing how excited he was from what he played at judges week laid to rest my fears.

Sounds like it’s all there and more with humor still entact.

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    If you didn’t see Jeff on Giant Bombs Bethesda’s stream. Listening to him explain the flow of combat and seeing how excited he was from what he played at judges week laid to rest my fears.

Could you furnish us with a link?

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular

I understand the Fallout helmet wasn't that good quality.

But still, it's a Doom Slayer helmet. I wants it.

Also, the Deluxe edition comes with the Doot Revenant skin. And an extra level. Fucking sold.

doom-eternal-preorder-bonus.jpg

Campaign DLC sounds interesting. Looks like it's a prequel to Eternal playing as someone else.
    Year One Pass - Access to two campaign add-ons to release within the first year of DOOM Eternal’s launch date. Featuring new perspectives and new ways to play, these standalone stories explore the cataclysmic events that led to earth’s fall against the demons.

The Fallout helmet was great quality and is one of my favorite collectibles, and I'm someone who sells collectibles for a living.

Literally everyone I've talked to who actually has the thing loves it as well.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular

https://www.giantbomb.com/shows/we-talk-over-the-e3-2019-bethesda-conference/2970-19341

At the end Jeff talks about it after the conference had finished. Can’t give a time stamp because I am at work at the moment, also a slight story spoiler so be aware.

• HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular

https://www.giantbomb.com/shows/we-talk-over-the-e3-2019-bethesda-conference/2970-19341

At the end Jeff talks about it after the conference had finished. Can’t give a time stamp because I am at work at the moment, also a slight story spoiler so be aware.

Jeff's Doom-splosion starts at 1:43:00. (There's a mildly amusing lead in for the couple minutes before that as he is literally checking his watch, waiting for his NDA to expire.)

They just put out a patch for Quake Champions, so that's still kicking around I guess.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/611500/announcements/detail/1584619034839290859

I want quake champions to do well and make a comeback. There are just some frustrating hurdles that I got sick of jumping over in order to have a good time.

• Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I want quake champions to do well and make a comeback. There are just some frustrating hurdles that I got sick of jumping over in order to have a good time.

The main hurdle being, no one plays Quake Champions.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Big Dookie wrote: »

The main hurdle being, no one plays Quake Champions.

QUAD DAMAGE

They just put out a patch for Quake Champions, so that's still kicking around I guess.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/611500/announcements/detail/1584619034839290859

They copped a lot of shit over this because not only is it a massive download, they fucked up and pushed the wrong one to Steam first. 22gb update, then a 19gb replacement update.