As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Legend of Zelda] Breath of the Wild sequel in development!

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I mean I buy only digital versions of Switch games lately, but hot damn that steel book <3

• Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    Guess I've got to finish Breath of the Wild now!

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Whoa, link's awakening amiibo adds a Shadow Link that chases you through the Chamber Dungeons. That's rad.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    All Zelda amiibo will work with Link's Awekening too.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    MorranMorran Registered User regular
    Haha, in the links awakening trailer, when link is in the shop...
    he's totally doing the walk-behind-the-shopkeepers-back move to steal that bow

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    !

And for North America:

Also, they confirmed that the Color Dungeon will be in the game.

Such bullshit. They did this with Smash Bros too. Welp, guess I'll have to either get it off Play Asia somehow or just go digital.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I don't understand how it wouldn't be easier and cheaper to produce the same collector's edition worldwide? So dumb to have these regional differences.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    It never ceases to amaze me that they are able to watch a 3 minute clip, pull out all the details, put them together into a video, and publish that video in less than 3 hours.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    It never ceases to amaze me that they are able to watch a 3 minute clip, pull out all the details, put them together into a video, and publish that video in less than 3 hours.

And somehow the video is 5 hours long

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular

Oh yeah, Zelda's hair is short now!

<3

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    MMMig wrote: »

<3

I think it's just tied up and hidden partially by her clothes, not really cut short. I'd need to take another look though.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Waiting for someone to translate the wispy runes...

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »

Lemme take a stab at it.

Be... Sure... To... Drink... Your... Ovaltine?

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »

GANON WUZ HERE

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I'm Lonk from Pennsylvania

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    On the one hand, that kind of creepy dried-husk stuff makes me think of Twinrova. It'd be rad if they found a way to bring her back.

Onnnnnnnn the other hand, every new Zelda game comes with the risk of Tingle being brought back as well.

• Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    MMMig wrote: »

<3

I think it's just tied up and hidden partially by her clothes, not really cut short. I'd need to take another look though.

Game xplain says it's cut.
    ^^'

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I'm intrigued by
    Potentially going backwards from Calamity Ganon to Ganondorf. Calamity Ganon was, essentially, a force of nature. He didn't have any kind of personality, but was rather just there in the background as a corrupting force.

Having an actual character, with goals and ambitions, as a villain would be cool. Would he want to become Calamity Ganon again? Does he have a different end goal/motive beyond corrupting everything?

I mean, from what I gather in the series, Ganon tends to be Ganondorf with his humanity stripped away. He's the manifestation of Ganondorf's hate and avarice and he always succumbs to it, turning beastial and terrible in the process. But going backwards opens up different storytelling avenues because Ganondorf as a person/zombie/lich has already been defeated in his ultimate form. What's left for him now?

It has the potential to be pretty cool, and different than the normal formula.

• Options
    Whoever came up with the idea to give the already ridiculously super cute Zelda short hair making her extra ridiculously super cute deserves a raise.

What are you bringing to the table Link? Nothing! Nothing but dreamy eyes I could stare in to all day while pondering what it'd be like to open a BnB in New England together, that's all! Up your game!.

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    People are apparently hoping they eliminate or increase weapon durability. Were these people not swimming in weapons after a few hours? The only time I felt I wasn't flush with weapons was the plateau and shortly thereafter.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    People are apparently hoping they eliminate or increase weapon durability. Were these people not swimming in weapons after a few hours? The only time I felt I wasn't flush with weapons was the plateau and shortly thereafter.

I want them to get rid of it because it's a literal chore. Not a difficult chore, but a chore none the less. That said, aside from that, I just want them to add a recipe book/queued cooking.

• Options
    I've no problem with weapon durability, but in BotW shit broke way to damn fast. I hate interrupting combat every 30 seconds to switch to a new weapon.

I'd rather it be that you can use a weapon for a good while before it breaks and that you can repair it if you have a certain consumable item.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    It didn't feel like a chore to me ever. You fight a group of enemies, and hey one or two of them are carrying either replacements or upgrades.

• Options
    If you start with the master sword, that may make things a bit easier at least. Unless they find a way to make you lose or depower it.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Are the EU and NA art books the same or different? Going digital-only means I'll have to get it from other means. :(

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I really liked scrambling for weapons early on, or having to choose when to use them tactically, and then having to throw your tactics out the window because you encountered something tougher than you expected and you need to use that really good weapon you were saving. I liked having to use different types because even though I don't normally like two handed weapons well this one deals a fuckton of damage and I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. It made shit weapons viable later because you might run into some weak moblins and I'm not wasting anything good on them. Or saving your weak bows to use on puzzles. It made me want to hunt down korok seeds because I need the space! Normally I skip that pointless collectathon crap.

To me, its like saying there should be unlimited arrows. There's just so much depth. I was initially skeptical but it's great!

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

I was swimming in weapons, but it was still an annoying system and I hope it's excised going forward.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    If durability wasn't a thing I'd never have stopped using spears and thus would not have discovered how to use boomerangs and two-handers properly, so I considered it a net positive.

It's like that thing hbomb talked up about how Bloodborne forced people to learn to play Dark Souls the "right" way by taking away the shield. You need a way to combat complacency; having a "safe" option you can always default back to will prey on a lot of people's lizard brains and lead them down a boring path.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Starting with the Master Sword and removing its use timer would go a long way. Next make the other weapon types more powerful against certain enemies and you could still have a lot of weapon changing while always having a solid all rounder to fall back on.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Starting with the Master Sword and removing its use timer would go a long way. Next make the other weapon types more powerful against certain enemies and you could still have a lot of weapon changing while always having a solid all rounder to fall back on.

I don't think I'd get rid of the timer, but I would like consumables that could shorten its duration.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »

I don't think I'd get rid of the timer, but I would like consumables that could shorten its duration.

I'd like the timer to kick in after each swing, not after dura reaches 0. Early after getting it, i took several swings, it turned "warning red", so i stopped using it to let it recharge. Hours later I'm googling "why won't my master sword recharge"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Nightslyr wrote: »

I would also accept going old school and needing full health to use its fancy magic.

• Options
    I'm still convinced that there are optimal weapon types vs enemy types by the way. They don't do more damage, but they take less durability damage. My only evidence for this is that iron sledgehammers and wood cutting axes have increased durability against particular environmental objects, and I'm pretty sure hammer types last longer against the big stone golem things.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Personally, I would consider the weapon system a chore if I had to stop playing every once in a while to go and farm up some weapons. That only happened once in my game: after the first lynel fight early in the game, where I had few weapons to start with, had no idea how to combat, and ended up breaking pretty much every weapon I had. Every fight thereafter ended with me either having as many weapons as I started with, or with excess weapons scattered around the ground. I never had to stop playing.

In contrast, I think that if they added in weapon repair, that would become a chore. In my experience, games with weapon degradation are balanced in such a way that you need to go back to town on a regular basis to repair your stuff. You have to stop playing to go and do a chore to make sure you can keep playing.

In the games that I've played that have weapon degradation and repair, the system is used as an attempt at simulationism (which, in my opinion, is misguided), or it's used as a resource sink (which... is maybe also misguided. I recognize the problem of a player's wallet getting too thick, and repair being an easy system for draining it, but I think it's unsatisfying and disruptive).

In BotW, weapon degradation (without repair) is used to encourage you to keep exploring.

But, that's how it worked out for me. As I said earlier, I'm bummed that not everyone had the same joyous experience with BotW that I did.

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    I am hype for BotW sequel! I am hype for Ganindorf! I'm hopeful we will get a more complex villain than the Bad Darkguy we have gotten before.

As for wep durability, I thought it served a very important purpose in BotW. It emphasised that Link is a scavenger in a post apacolyptic world. I wouldn't mind too much if it went away, but I'd be happy if it stayed.

• Options
    I suspect they will do something with weapon durability. For a game that is pretty universally beloved weapon durability is by far the most common complaint people have.

Even just doubling the number of hits each weapon can take before breaking would probably go a long way to improving the flow of combat.

• Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

It's possible your arm is gonna be the weapon this time

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
This discussion has been closed.