As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We're three times as fast in the 3rd [Gunpla] & Plastic models thread

• Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    Yep, it’s the Asshimar. The one you like has been released as P-Bandai in 2014 apparently.

I liked this version because of the contrasting colour scheme; bright yellow on reasonably dark green.
    And its gun looks so cool!

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    the unidentified flying hamburger is a very good boy in either color scheme, i wanna get one at some point (or an Anksha)

my brother has the green divers HCM pro figure, although he might've ebayed it by now

also here's hoping the release of the hazel II woundwort means we'll see the kehaar/kehaar II eventually

6vnnanj1bpt9.jpg
    p6izk151rzzl.jpg

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I should be building models during these press conferences. But I'm enjoying them on my big TV, and I don't have an assembly workspace that works with my couch at the moment.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Yep, it’s the Asshimar. The one you like has been released as P-Bandai in 2014 apparently.

Aw, man.
    the unidentified flying hamburger is a very good boy in either color scheme, i wanna get one at some point (or an Anksha)

But Bernie never flew an Asshimar.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Not bad progress for in-between the conferences! I swear, these models go together faster than Gundam, but that might be due to the larger size despite having more pieces.

My hands are now covered in ink, though. There were a lot of tight places and linework I didn't want to bother with, so I used the pour marker and cotton swabs with rubbing alcohol after they dried.

81YLwW5l.jpg

L8dnHjBl.jpg

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Head's done! ... Man, this guy does not photograph well. I keep also having flashbacks to the "Dinosaurs" TV show.

I'm much more enjoying things by going with the pour type markers over the fine tips. Might be because my fine tips are worn down, dunno. But just applying the pour type, then wiping off the excess with alcohol, is giving a very "dirty gold" look that feels like that oil look I want. That said, it's messy as hell. I'm trying to get over having paint on my hands - it isn't going to hurt me and I'm not going to spread it to other things.

Still. I know they have black washes of this style that are brush-on applicators. Like Tamaya does, I think. I don't know if that is enamel based or not, or if you need to prime it first... but the prospect of just brushing on the black wash, then going back and wiping off the excess, is REALLY appealing.

... I'm also a little miffed that no tool I had could get into the grooves of the caps. They are just too deep and too narrow. So I'll just paint up the top of the gold, and not the actual ridges. Ah well.

vKl7kATl.jpggucl5V3l.jpgEJdANeFl.jpg

KIGBsUNh.jpg

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    There was a kit back for that black horn to upgun it

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Brainleech wrote: »
    There was a kit back for that black horn to upgun it

Yup, I have it. :) Just not all the cannons are mounted at the moment.

Edit: Little bit more work for the day. Necks are important, right?

gKyryu5l.jpg

AOnMUeXl.jpg

CpXfQUnl.jpg

Athenor on
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    I am the worst at remembering to post pics of my stuff but I got a kid I work with into building Gunpla so here is our most recent project.

puj873s4zwzw.jpg

Stupid sticker that won't stay on ^

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    I don't see the sticker of which you speak!

Did the kid paint it? The shoulders look painted, and that is awesome.

Also you need to teach them the fine arts of combat posing. Flare those wings, point those toes! :D

Athenor on
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    i8usg5p86gbc.jpeg

CRAB

COMPLETE
    Edit: Ill make a imgur album later)

Bluedude152 on
    p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    hey y'all

anybody remember like two years and a couple gunpla threads ago when Tamashii Nations, makers of Metal Robot and Metal Build diecast figures, announced their new 1/60 Metal Structure series, starting with the Nu Gundam

well

it's finally here and goddamn is it a work of art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVLd3GlJoFA

and it can be yours for only uh,

93,000 yen

(fin funnels sold separately*)
    (*P-Bandai, duh)

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »

Also you need to teach them the fine arts of combat posing. Flare those wings, point those toes! :D

He cut out the pieces and did the assembly. I am on detailing duty and helping out if he is unsure with anything. Shoulders and V-Fin got painted cause why settle for plain yellow plastic when you got a gundam marker airbrush and a metallic gold marker.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Little bit more work for today. Pausing to let the pour marker dry is interesting. I also need to be careful that it's actually "pouring".

One of my favorite details about the HMM zoids is the molded springs on the leg joints. If you look really closely, you can see the hint of leaf springs on the legs. Those aren't present on the cat based models, which more have high speed disk brake style stuff on their joints.

The neon green of the Dark Horn's body just makes things pop like nobody's business.

9jxsxw8h.jpg

Athenor on
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    hey y'all

anybody remember like two years and a couple gunpla threads ago when Tamashii Nations, makers of Metal Robot and Metal Build diecast figures, announced their new 1/60 Metal Structure series, starting with the Nu Gundam

well

93,000 yen

(*P-Bandai, duh)

Ah let me just put that in the ol' unit converter and...

$858

Get the fuck outa here.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    turtleant wrote: »
    hey y'all

well

93,000 yen

(*P-Bandai, duh)

Ah let me just put that in the ol' unit converter and...

$858

Get the fuck outa here.

If they are going to follow this up with a Sazabi I'll just rob a bank.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Mmmm, dare I dream of a PG Nu any time soon? Seems like it would compete with this dumb metal thing.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I doubt it, they have 600 editions of the Exia and 00 Raiser to release first.

• Options
    Still on my not gunpla kick

757mj6o6l483.jpeg

Ive got the base layer but....how color

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    5eqdyzml.jpg

Vacation challenge! Trying to build a gunpla without my regular tools. Just a lil nipper. Here gooooooes

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    ALRIGHT

I think my idea here is to split the paint job in half. The bottom half is rusted with dry brushed grey, and the top maybe yellow or blue?

Thoughts/opinions

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    ALRIGHT

I think my idea here is to split the paint job in half. The bottom half is rusted with dry brushed grey, and the top maybe yellow or blue?

Thoughts/opinions

Yellow as in caution/visibility, or yellow as in faded from time? Yellow can be a very powerful color in large amounts. I personally don't trust myself enough to paint in it beyond an accent.

5eqdyzml.jpg

Vacation challenge! Trying to build a gunpla without my regular tools. Just a lil nipper. Here gooooooes

I could never do an RG without a hobby knife. More power to you! :D

g6CkLUAh.jpg

He needs legs (She? Maybe?) ... but I really like that I can pull off a sleepy dino pose!

Athenor on
  • Options
    3bgi744h9jpw.jpeg

That yellow. The other colors are ones im also playing with

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    I am the worst at remembering to post pics of my stuff but I got a kid I work with into building Gunpla so here is our most recent project.

puj873s4zwzw.jpg

Stupid sticker that won't stay on ^

Check the bit sticking off the (gundam's) right gunbarrel, compared to the (Gundam's) left. Took me a minute to spot it the first time as well, at first I thought that was just some kind of 'future gun' detail sticking out. This despite owning a DVD of the OVA the Wing Zero Custom appeared in.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    New kit up on the american P-bandai store, RG Perfect Strike Gundam.

bas5058086_perfect_strike_gundam_01.jpg

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    I took another stab at posing the RG Wing Zero.

5b4rugyfu2r8.jpg

And this is why you paint the clear parts instead of using the stickers.

5aml4twr67y1.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I forgot yellow is the worst fucking color to paint

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Bit more work today! I'm at a point where I can mount this weapon assembly, but I haven't lined it yet and the gold really, REALLY needs it. But I'm on the final stretch! The last gun is actually the same gun that was on the Iron Kong PK, so I've already done it once. It's deceptively a bear to put together (and no, I don't have a new Bear zoid to show off).

There are a LOT of unused pieces on these runners. I need to look and see what kits they originally came from, maybe look at alternate pieces and ways to assemble things.

AE11D5Ah.jpg

zvYzcFqh.jpg

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I see you got Harry's special Dark horn I should really put mine together though instead of just using the box as a general stand

It's a tad smaller than I thought mg6vqzqthq6z.png

• Options
    A little more panel lining is needed on the back of the big cannon, but otherwise Dark Horn Harry Special is complete!

... Man, and I thought Leena was compensating for things.

ilXJSM4h.jpg?1

VaJsGZGh.jpg?1

H30IrKPh.jpg?1

Ud0xoxth.jpg?1

lqv5PZLh.jpg

• Options

I could never do an RG without a hobby knife. More power to you!

Haha, yeeeeah. So I did finish the build with just the nippers... but it looks pretty bad. Gonna need to clean it up with a knife before pics. ;P

I like the Crossbones itself tho, looks real cool.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    So, what happens when you mix a little Gunpla into your educational toy?

You get this:

https://youtu.be/MHFIVEg2-W0

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    Let me guess, P-Bandai? :wink:

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    Hmmm.

Store got in Hi-nu Ver Ka MG.

I think they also have a version of the same model from one of the gundam builders series - not sure.

I'm debating if I should get this model, or if I should wait for the Real Grade nu gundam (though I still want 2 fin funnel racks/wings).. And, of course, do I want to do another MG / ver ka?

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    The Hi-nu is the purple one, the RG is going to be the regular Nu gundam. I personally recommend both, and have the MG Hi-Nu. It's a great kit. It has a TON of waterslides, though, so if you don't like doing those it's a pass.

• Options
    I thought Hi-Nu is blue and white?

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    it's lavender-ish

some versions are more blue and some are more purple

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    The build fighters custom one, the Vrabe, is a dark blue.

And yeah the MG Hi-nu has a lot of water slides that are color apps for stuff.

They look really good, but aren't really optional so if you dont like doing them stay away.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Here are the two I'm now debating between.

drQMGQmh.jpg

Athenor on