As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Painting Miniatures] What colour is the best colour to paint your miniatures?

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Purple
    Can't guarantee doesn't mean won't get. You might still have a chance to do that?

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Can't guarantee doesn't mean won't get. You might still have a chance to do that?

Maybe, depends on what is there after I get off of work on Saturday. I have to clock in just as they open.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Purple
    Well, yes, that's what I'm getting at - it doesn't feel like it's much about looks at all and is entirely a product pitched on ease of use to get ... a result.

I understand helping people get something to the table that isn't just grey plastic, but something about this line and the push for it just seems off. What I've also said is that I'm willing to wait for more things to be painted and be proven wrong.

It feels off because it's counter to everything GW has been peddling for over 30 years and they're pushing it so hard and selling it as the way to paint moving forward and I hope that's not the case; that this is just a marketing push for a new product.

It's for people who just want to play the game and don't want to invest time in making their armies look more than 'good enough' - which is fine. It's for people who have friends they want to sucker into the hobby who hear 'you need to paint' and immediately shut down. It's for kids.

Honestly the only way GW could make me excited for new paint products would be if they used to old pot lids again. Seriously, that's all it would take - just the lids!

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Purple
    These contrast paints aren’t going anywhere, and there aren’t any super limited bundles or anything. I imagine that they’ll be filling up store paint racks alongside their regular line by next month.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    How different are the contrasts from the old glazes then?

• italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Purple
    They can be pretty dark and they pool better I guess*. There’s also a large selection of them rather than the previous 4.

*says the guy who barely used them.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Purple
    Well, yes, that's what I'm getting at - it doesn't feel like it's much about looks at all and is entirely a product pitched on ease of use to get ... a result.

I understand helping people get something to the table that isn't just grey plastic, but something about this line and the push for it just seems off. What I've also said is that I'm willing to wait for more things to be painted and be proven wrong.

It feels off because it's counter to everything GW has been peddling for over 30 years and they're pushing it so hard and selling it as the way to paint moving forward and I hope that's not the case; that this is just a marketing push for a new product.

It's for people who just want to play the game and don't want to invest time in making their armies look more than 'good enough' - which is fine. It's for people who have friends they want to sucker into the hobby who hear 'you need to paint' and immediately shut down. It's for kids.

Honestly the only way GW could make me excited for new paint products would be if they used to old pot lids again. Seriously, that's all it would take - just the lids!

I dunno to me it's pretty clear it's for a lot of people

Like I'm not Eavy Metal level by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm not a novice painter either, and I'm pumped to give these a whirl in a more elaborate project to see what things become easier and what new things can be accomplished with them.

But also my wife, who enjoys painting occasionally but doesn't have the patience for a fully involved project, is super excited about the prospect of being able to pretty up her small collection of unpainted figures much faster and painlessly than she had thought.

BloodySloth on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    A different, worse colour
    Oh shit, I might finally havee to buy my first funcopop.

Like I'm not Eavy Metal level by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm not a novice painter either, and I'm pumped to give these a whirl in a more elaborate project to see what things become easier and what new things can be accomplished with them.

But also my wife, who enjoys painting occasionally but doesn't have the patience for a fully involved project, is super excited about the prospect of being able to pretty up her small collection of unpainted figures much faster and painlessly than she had thought.

I've encountered a lot of people in the hobby that just have no interest at all in painting. That's not part of the game they're interested in. I see them as being a big target for these with how simple it makes getting beyond gray plastic.

Oh shit, I might finally havee to buy my first funcopop.

I've encountered a lot of people in the hobby that just have no interest at all in painting. That's not part of the game they're interested in. I see them as being a big target for these with how simple it makes getting beyond gray plastic.

I'm one of those people. I hate painting. I would much rather just never paint and only play with grey plastic.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I like painting as I like learning and trying out different things
    as I said I wanted to paint my swooping hawks like in this pic
    tnx0ib91efrd.jpg
    I just have no idea how to do it at the time
    Things like this do not help
    ypt98ho3ibyc.png
    Or those little guides that used to come on the back of boxes I had no idea how to use them. For the most part I just did it and saw if it worked. Stripping was a whole other problem as what "worked" for some did not work for me

Fast forward to the painting demos they do on youtube I mean this is awesome! and very helpful! I know it takes time and sometimes does not show what I want to know or is a tiny segment of the full video

• TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    Man when I was first started in 2004 I had no clue how to shade and highlight and it bothered to me to no end that most tutorials skipped that step or just made it seem so trivial.

I started painting minis back when Hero Quest came out so the early 90's and I had little idea what I was doing not did I know what shade or highlight was

• Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    I’m currently painting a T’au army and the results aren’t great when you take into account how it’s turning out. I’m sure I could post a pic, and people would be surprised how long it is taking me per model.

Contrast paints I feel are going to help me when I go on to my next army (probably a wraith army).

But the big thing for me will be to buy a few paints, get some models and give them to my 6 year old daughter. I’ll be able to undercoat stuff, then she’ll be able to paint straight from the pot; for instance being able to go “use this one for skin” is going to be enormously helpful rather than telling her to paint this base, this wash, this layer paint then this layer paint.

It might not be as magical as GW are pushing, but I’m still looking forward to it.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    I remember there being some oddly vitriolic push-back 11-ish years ago when the washes were first released. 'You can already make washes yourself! No one is going to buy them when they only offer 8 shades, and you can make your own out of any color. It's just going to make armies look even more alike than they already do."

Ultimately, no company wants to release something that nobody is going to buy, so of course this isn't some purely altruistic giving back to the hobby move. But along with other improvements over the years (GW painting has gotten visibly better over the years, from when I started back when the paints were still in the white-topped, hexagonal bottles, and the average painting level of player's models on the table has _vastly_ improved) it has made the whole process much easier and beginner friendly. I'm sure that GW's end goal is get people who aren't into painting to make a few models that look adequate, which gets them to buy more paints to make them look even better, but if the end result are more painted models and less bare plastic, it seems like a step in the right direction to me.

• KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Purple
    Anything that makes batch painting easier is a win.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Purple
    Also I'm looking at grabbing some Tau and contrast is going to make their white armor so much easier

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    I feel I will do the Farsight Enclaves for my tau as I got them years ago but I had no idea how to do the tan armor the other problem is I have a ton of Xv8 suits but few fire warriors and getting them for cheap is hard

edited June 2019
    Purple
    On matters completely unrelated to contrast paints, this was a pleasant enough morning~
    d75buzl6hy7o.jpg

It's not quite captured in the photo, but the morning light is really bringing together the red of the paint and the yellow of the masking tape, and there's something really pretty about it all.

ArcticLancer on
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    It's a very nice gradient.

A bit like strawberry cheesecake or Panna cotta. Tasty.

honovere on
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    The A-wings are very lovely this time of year.

website_header.jpg
    edited June 2019
    Purple
    About 5 minutes after I finished laying down that coat, while I was cleaning my stuff, I realized I missed a great opportunity to make a pair of "Eh?-wings" painted like Canadian flags. I was very displeased with myself. :P

ArcticLancer on
  • JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    Bandai one? Niiiiice.

Finally painted some markers and balls for my BB team. Just in time for the last game of the season.
    hrteixcgcai3.jpg

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Purple
    That granite effect is utterly lovely.

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Purple
    I can't decide what color scheme I want to go with for my UCM Dropfleet Commander fleet. I was originally thinking blue and silver, but now I'm considering maybe Yellow and Black?

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    That granite effect is utterly lovely.

Thanks. I'm happy how it came out because I hadn't tried it before and kinda winged it because I didn't want to spend too much time on these.
    Looking at them now, I'm not so sure about the purple emblem. It's so flat.

Purple
    I can't decide what color scheme I want to go with for my UCM Dropfleet Commander fleet. I was originally thinking blue and silver, but now I'm considering maybe Yellow and Black?
    How do you plan on breaking up the colours?
    While I went a today different direction, I did seriously consider doing Master Chief colors to really sell the military feel of the fleet over utilitarian grey. Maybe you should give some thought to how you want it to present and what colours support that?

Look up Chris Foss and Rob Cunningham art if you want some inspiration for more colourful space ship paint schemes.

In anticipation of the plastic wood elf blood bowl team I'm currently looking at 1960s and 70s race car liveries. Currently on top of the list are Lotus and Porsche

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Purple
    I wanted to do a color scheme that was bold, in contrast to the default understated look, but not garish. As for seperating I was thinking either stripes, blocking, or doing sections in different colors.

Edit: I have also considered trying to do a sort of Disruptive camouflage color scheme for space, but I've had a hard time finding the right inspiration for something like that.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    Purple
    Unquestionably, the best UCM I've seen lately is this work from a guy on the DFC facebook group:
    go71gk90ndiq.png
    It's 100% magnetized as well, just for extra show-off points. :P

Going much further back, it's worth showing that even if minimized, this sort of scheme has a pretty solid presence:
    9rlcmet8js70.png

It's surprisingly hard to find a good photo, but inverting the main body of colour is also quite effective:
    jqea7fvsf55u.png

Someone else did an absolutely phenomenal Mass Effect tribute scheme, but I can't find it right now. Sorry about that.
    Otherwise I posted my WIP stuff a couple of months back (that got immediately sidetracked by some commission work ... the A-wings are actually my palate cleanser before going back to it).

Planning on testing some stuff on my Necrons today. I am going to airbrush a Warrior up with vallejo metallic gold and then make the armor plates orange and then two others either aluminum or gun metal grey to make blue and green. Can't decide between aluminum and gun metal grey though.

Testing went alright with the contrast paint and my Necrons. Did aluminum on 2 of them and gold on the other. The orange on the gold didn't really come out how I was hoping.

Also took home my denim knight and painted up a model as a Space Wolf.
    8gyzNet.jpg
    uG63oQV.jpg
    YkPsM9c.jpg
    HfHUQBV.jpg

edited June 2019
    Purple
    Unquestionably, the best UCM I've seen lately is this work from a guy on the DFC facebook group:
    go71gk90ndiq.png
    It's 100% magnetized as well, just for extra show-off points. :P

Going much further back, it's worth showing that even if minimized, this sort of scheme has a pretty solid presence:
    9rlcmet8js70.png

It's surprisingly hard to find a good photo, but inverting the main body of colour is also quite effective:
    jqea7fvsf55u.png

Someone else did an absolutely phenomenal Mass Effect tribute scheme, but I can't find it right now. Sorry about that.
    Otherwise I posted my WIP stuff a couple of months back (that got immediately sidetracked by some commission work ... the A-wings are actually my palate cleanser before going back to it).

Going white with dark grey weapons was something I was considering.

I wish I had the level of dedication to actually magnetize all of my stuff and make it modular but... gluing is simpler :P

Edit: also, generally speaking, what is considered the most reliable matte varnish? Basically none of my minis are varnished and I recognize this is a problem, but basically every brand or technique I look into has reports of buildup.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Did a little more work on the Space Wolf and Necrons. Put some leadbelcher and abaddon black on the gun and used retributor gold to paint the crest on the chest. I also dry brushed fenrisian grey.

For the Necrons I did a was of nuln oil on blue and green and used gloss reikland flesh on the orange. I then painted the raised part of the crest on the chest, kind of lost control for orange.

QiPtzqJ.jpg
    9k3XhJc.jpg

• JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    Had me looking at dropfleet for a moment there @ArcticLancer

How big are they?

Purple
    Far from perfect, but ...
    jel0kox2jz5q.jpg

The battleship is around 140mm, and those are much more rare than cruisers and frigates. I don't have my dreadnought built, but I know they list the length of those on the website at least (maybe they do for all the ships, actually?). If you know roughly how big the A-Wings I'm building are, that should give you a pretty good physical idea. I was dumb and forgot to put an infinity figure in the photo. <_<

I like that article because Lenz actually explains his process and shows of the differences between contrast only and contrast plus detailing.

edited June 2019
    Purple
    I'm considering trying to do a paint scheme based on the Shadowyards Reconstruction Authority mod from Starsector, though I don't know that I'm skilled enough to pull it off

I also don't know if it isn't better saved for the PHR

Edit Or possibly something based on these guys

Lord_Asmodeus on
This discussion has been closed.