As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Legend of Zelda] Breath of the Wild sequel in development!

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

Holy shit. The shadows and ground texture give it away when you look closer, but the tree and octorock look so real!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    Wait, that isn't a picture of one of those miniature sets they have at E3?

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Maybe... If so :redface:

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Ark EvensongArk Evensong The NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Uh, I'm pretty sure that is real. They have an actual diorama set up at E3.
    [Edit] Yeah, I'm way slow.
    Though I must admit I had to look at her other tweets to be 100% sure.

Ark Evensong on
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh can someone please knock me out for the next day until Cadence is out?

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • MorranMorran Registered User regular
    Dys wrote: »
    Wait, that isn't a picture of one of those miniature sets they have at E3?

Seems to be from dioramas, not the game, according to the tweets in the same twitter thread.

• Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    I wonder if, like RDR2, this will have a road that kills horses.

No wait, I got it. Not only will weapons have durability, horses will as well.

Good, i hated everything to do with horses on BotW once i discovered there is a minimum summon range.
    I just never used them. I wanted to climb everything and glide everywhere, horses got in the way.

I hated horses and gliding. Fast travel is the only way to go, with gliding the secondary mode. God I hate open world games for this reason alone.

But Dover, you live in an open world!

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Starting as Zelda would be a nice way to sidestep the video game sequel trope where the hero has to lose all their powers in the first 10 minutes of the game so you can regain them later.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Capt Howdy wrote: »

Good, i hated everything to do with horses on BotW once i discovered there is a minimum summon range.
    I just never used them. I wanted to climb everything and glide everywhere, horses got in the way.

I hated horses and gliding. Fast travel is the only way to go, with gliding the secondary mode. God I hate open world games for this reason alone.

But Dover, you live in an open world!

I wish i had fast travel and glide in the real world too.

steam_sig.png
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Wouldn't be weird if the spirit powers were gone after beating Calamity Ganon as their mission was finally accomplished. Mipha potentially staying behind to continue guarding Link, but I doubt it. Starting with the Shiekah slate and all the powers would just make sense unless they have Zombie Ganon destroy it at the start and you have to get the Slate MkII made at the lab. Or it's a knock off slate with only limited powers you slowly add to it with research and quests. Or this Zelda is going to have more traditional dungeons that give powerups.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    I think the hookshot would be really fuckin cool and I would love to have it back.
    They should just give Link/Zelda a hookshot, keep the glider, and copy the physics from the Just Cause games.

Hire me, Nintendo.

• Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Hookshot would have helped quiet the rain climbing complaints.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular

Fast travel is great once you've explored anything but I think this game was the best ever open world to run through on the first try. It's so fucking perfect because around any corner is SOMETHING if it's a korok or a shrine and it's just a quick little thing and then you're back on your way. It was varied enough and fast so it never got stale, I skipped a lot of shit in PS4 Spider-Man because fuck it's just beating up some goons again.

Now one thing that should die in a fire and never come back is the stupid motion control dungeons fuck those things suck.

Rain climbing was thematic but it added basically nothing to the game so that could go. It was basically just "You can't climb now" and then you had to sit and wait for it to go away before I could keep playing the game. I could see it being a mechanic in Zora's domain where it's more to keep you on the predetermined path but everywhere else? Just a waste of time.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular

Rain climbing was thematic but it added basically nothing to the game so that could go. It was basically just "You can't climb now" and then you had to sit and wait for it to go away before I could keep playing the game. I could see it being a mechanic in Zora's domain where it's more to keep you on the predetermined path but everywhere else? Just a waste of time.

It was frustrating in places where it rained a lot; I'd go make a sammich or hit the bathoom waiting for the weather to break and find out that...it hadn't.

Horses were ok, but I tended to use fast travel and the glider as I couldn't bear the thought of Peaches or Sassy being hurt, even though you can ressurect them I guess. I'd like to see weapon degradation go away and instead of a negative to make me change weapons, a positive - like increased damage against certain targets, better reach, better at cleave/AE etc. I grew to love the little cooking tune, but it would be nice to be able to mass manufacture food and potions.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I can not wait

to take a picture of withered old ganon to complete my picture collection on the slate mk II

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Oh yeah horses. Assuming there would be horses in the sequel I hope they tweak them a bit.

More variation in stats, maybe horse breeding to get the best one? I dunno.

This is what happened to me in BotW. I get to the part of the game when you first have to go tame a horse. I picked one at random, tamed it and named it. It then turned out to basically be the best non-special horse in the game and I had no reason to bother with taming ever again. Which is a shame cause I enjoyed taming and would like the sequel to give me more reason to do it. Its not a super big issue to me as I'm mostly ambivalent to the current system. I just think it could be improved in some fashion to increase the fun.

I also accidentally got Epona fairly early on. I didn't know she was tied to Amiibos and at the time assumed she was unlockable in the game some other way. Imagine my surprise.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I got the giant stag as a mount for that one bit and was like, "FUUUUUUUCK YEAH, I'M LINKNONOKE!" and then I couldn't keep it. Goddamn that was a huge tease.

Nosf on
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Horses were fine! But their novelty didn’t have much lasting use.

You definitely should have gotten access to giant riding geckos that can climb, maybe even a rare, difficult chance to grab one of those Skyward Sword birds by the end of the game.

Really, if you could ride it you should have been able to put it in a stable, or at least one stable in particular (spooky themed one, maybe run by the siblings of the monster parts merchant).

Them riding a big old water oxallo gives me hope that I might be able to tame a stalhorse

• CruorCruor Registered User regular
    I want to ride a gohma. Make it happen, Nintendo.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular

I usually walked around the rain if I had to. I don't think I've ever run into rain as much as other people seemed to have. I thought it was an interesting mechanic that I had to work around if it did.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I'm sure 12-year old Dover would LOVE what open-world games bring to the table. But old-man Dover ain't got time for Shrines, Korok poops, and random monster camp w/weapon reward. I need A->B->C experiences that clock in at ~8-12 hours. Anything more than that and I risk not finishing it or getting really bored.

I get that I'm in the minority here, but it is just how it is for me. Thankfully, game companies don't design games with me in mind so the rest of the world doesn't have to suffer.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    https://www.polygon.com/e3/2019/6/12/18662299/zelda-breath-of-the-wild-sequel-theories-ganondorf-link-powers-switch-nintendo-direct-e3-2019

Potentially interesting info in that article having to do with concept art from BoTW that may inform what is to come. Could we see old, one-armed Link with a transforming Sheikah prosthesis? That would be RAD AS HELL.

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Some idle speculation:
    The part in the trailer when Link appears to use magic... Link is generally associated with the Triforce of Courage, which was created by the Goddess Furore, whose color is green. Maybe this is his version of unlocking/obtaining the Goddess' power? Sort of connected or similar to what Zelda had to go through/obtain in the first game?

Cruor wrote: »
    https://www.polygon.com/e3/2019/6/12/18662299/zelda-breath-of-the-wild-sequel-theories-ganondorf-link-powers-switch-nintendo-direct-e3-2019

Potentially interesting info in that article having to do with concept art from BoTW that may inform what is to come. Could we see old, one-armed Link with a transforming Sheikah prosthesis? That would be RAD AS HELL.

I could easily see a magi-tek prosthetic arm having a built in hookshot.

Axen wrote: »
    Cruor wrote: »

I could easily see a magi-tek prosthetic arm having a built in hookshot.

Middle of the image, looks like a prosthetic hookshot arm to me.

Screen_Shot_2019_06_12_at_10.16.18_AM.png

Thanks to that artwork I now what an Old Man Link game.

• MMMigMMMig Registered User regular

You can totally climb in the rain. I had to do it a fair amount for fairly high places.

step
    step
    step
    jump

you slide down but you're still at a net height gain

repeat as long as you have stamina

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    There should have been a blue bear mount with little wings...

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Nice that they kept this in.

Spoilers I guess if you never played the original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB7SQds5fxo

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    MMMig wrote: »

You can totally climb in the rain. I had to do it a fair amount for fairly high places.

step
    step
    step
    jump

I realize this but it dramatically reduces your effective climbing range.

step
    step
    step
    jump

I realize this but it dramatically reduces your effective climbing range.

Yeah, but I mean, you're climbing barehanded in the rain.
    So, I found it as an acceptable piece of immersion.

Most of the time was finding a piece of rock that was slanted juuuuuuuuuuuust enough for you to catch your breath, or part of your breath.
    It'd be hilarious when I'd zoom out and notice that I was standing on an almost vertical angle where I thought it was horizontal from the climbing view.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    All they had to do was make a slight tweak to rain climbing. As is, you climb climb climb then fall further down than you started. That sets the psychological message of "This is a complete waste of your time, fuck off". If you didn't slide further than you climbed though, it sets the message that you still can possibly make it. It's probably mathematically impossible, but at least it doesn't look it. And really, the message is more "You just don't have enough stamina to do this in the rain".

"You could, but you can't" is much better than "You won't".

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Them riding a big old water oxallo gives me hope that I might be able to tame a stalhorse

You can tame a Stalhorse in BotW already.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    All they had to do was make a slight tweak to rain climbing. As is, you climb climb climb then fall further down than you started. That sets the psychological message of "This is a complete waste of your time, fuck off". If you didn't slide further than you climbed though, it sets the message that you still can possibly make it. It's probably mathematically impossible, but at least it doesn't look it. And really, the message is more "You just don't have enough stamina to do this in the rain".

But... you can...

anyway, I'll digress here. =)

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I still don't know why you couldn't cook up a potion or buy some gear that'd let you ignore the rain penalty. It seems like such a bizarre omission.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I still don't know why you couldn't cook up a potion or buy some gear that'd let you ignore the rain penalty. It seems like such a bizarre omission.

I was hoping the climbing gear set combo would have allowed it.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »

You can tame a Stalhorse in BotW already.

but you don't get to keep it =(

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

But... you can...

anyway, I'll digress here. =)

I sorta consider the "jump just before you slide" trick a... well not a cheat. Advanced trick? Or hell, maybe an unintended workaround. Either way, as is if you don't do that then you literally take 2 steps forward then 3 steps back, and that just looks and feels shitty.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
This discussion has been closed.