As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

SHOURYUKEN! New Deadpool ongoing series announced.

noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Graphic Violence
So I can't be the only one that was a bit annoyed when Marvel announced that Cable/Deadpool was ending and Cable was getting his on series, but no mention of our favorite merc.

Well, the good news is that Marvel just announced that Deadpool will also be getting his own series.

The bad news? It's written by the team of Wolverine Origins.

Wizard has an interview about it here

I don't know if I like the direction Way is speaking of. I think that with Deadpool, there's some writers that use his crazyness as a crutch, but I also don't really like this;
And one of the things that is always been featured in his books is this signature narration where it’s like he’s keeping a mental journal. I wanted to explore that and have those two things almost splinter his personality. There’s the narrator, the biographer of this whole thing, and then there’s the player on the stage. And the two aren’t always going to match up. It’s very difficult to see how the character views his world.

Wizard also has a previewWolverine Origins 21 as well, which starts the five part story between Wolverine and Deadpool. Already we see examples of what Way is talking about, with Deadpool seemingly now having a split personality. I'm also not a big fan of seeing inside Wade's mind.

What do you guys think?

noir_blood on

• CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    First off: YAY!!! I am a happy little French girl.

Second: I think people should be afraid to see inside Wade's mind.

Crimsondude on
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    It's by Way and Dillon.

95% chance it is going to be awful.

Even if it is Deadpool.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I did not like the preview at all.

Kyougu on
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Blankspace wrote: »
    It's by Way and Dillon.

100% chance it is going to be awful.

Even if it is Deadpool.

Fixed that for you. Can anyone name one thing Way has done that was good? One thing. Anyone?

KVW on
  • PbPb Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So, it's nice that they decided to hire a retarded child to handle the art portion, but couldn't they get someone to write who doesn't handle DP like it's Tim Buckley's Chef Brian?

Pb on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I heard about this a while back. Fuuuuuuuck. There's so many better, underutilized writers available that could do Deadpool so much better. Off the top of my head, I'd kill to see Fred Van Lente, Jeff Parker, or Christos Gage writing it.

Munch on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Let's just face it, Christos Gage should just get more Marvel work, period.

Also, this news sorta gets a big "meh" from me. I like Deadpool, but for some reason never got him enough to buy his books.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Let's just face it, Christos Gage should just get more Marvel work, period.

Also, this news sorta gets a big "meh" from me. I like Deadpool, but for some reason never got him enough to buy his books.

Yes Cage should have ALOT more work

Algertman on
    edited January 2008
    Blankspace wrote: »
    It's by Way and Dillon.

95% chance it is going to be awful.

Even if it is Deadpool.

Well, what's more important to me is that there will be a book to fuck up. I figure they'll be attracted to some other shiny thing soon enough and leave it in the hands of someone competent.

Crimsondude on
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    wow that art is bad, has deadpool's mask always transparent like that?

smokmnky on
  • DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Goddamnit Marvel. I'm going to have to buy this because its Deadpool, but fuck, it's Daniel Way. I read his Venom series, god was that awful.

Hoping Way will do the first 6-10 and than let someone competent take over.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Wow, that preview is written terribly and drawn awfully.

It's just bad all around.

Inquisitor on
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I know I'm a deadpool fanboy.... but I dont mind it. It's not going to last forever, and I like alternate adaptations of Deadpool. This Identity Disk Personality was pretty cool if I remember correctly.

And "Cable and Deapool" has been "Deadpool" For a couple issues now.

Sharp101 on
  • ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I just want a Joe Kelly Deadpool trade. (they haven't made one that I don't know about, have they?)

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    ShimSham wrote: »
    I just want a Joe Kelly Deadpool trade. (they haven't made one that I don't know about, have they?)

I think there's been like one TPB released of DP(Not counting the cable/deadpool ones) Surprising considering Marvel's penchant to release anything in trade paper back.

Personally I don't understand why they didn't put out Gail Simone's version.

noir_blood on
  • hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Dillon is a pretty good artist. Just not for superheroes, which is where the money is, I suppose.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    hughtron wrote: »
    Dillon is a pretty good artist. Just not for superheroes, which is where the money is, I suppose.

He can draw like three different faces

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    That is horrible preview right there. Awful writing, awful artwork. This is almost worse than not having a Deadpool book. Does Marvel really think this creative team is a good idea? Wolverine's sales are not related to the creative team, the sales are related to Wolverine, who is almost as popular as Superman, Batman and Spider-man.

Dillon peaked with Preacher, and that was what, almost 10 years ago now? Way has never written anything decent in his entire career. The only hope is that the creative team leaves after an arc or two, and we get something decent. That is the one redeeming factor in this whole... thing.

DouglasDanger on
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Why can't they use Fabian and the other guys they have now, and just retitle the book? This doesn't sound very good. I fear goign in this direction is goign to lead to poor sales up front and once they realize they need Fabian and the others, it will be too late and it will get canned. =\

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    What's the appeal behind Deadpool, anyways? I guess I can ask the same thing about Venom and the Joker since all three characters are insane but their ramblings are coherent. And sometimes funny.

emnmnme on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    emnmnme wrote: »
    What's the appeal behind Deadpool, anyways? I guess I can ask the same thing about Venom and the Joker since all three characters are insane but their ramblings are coherent. And sometimes funny.

I think the appeal with Deadpool is that he started as one of the biggest reasons why the 90s sucked. Created by Liefeld, badly drawn, tried to be badass, had a really stupid backstory that made him Wolverine2.

But somewhere along the line he went from some "Superbadass mercenary who would totally kill his mother for a buck" to "Batshit insane goofy bastard who rambles on about Bea Arthur" and he became lovable.

The Muffin Man on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Is Venom lovable?

emnmnme on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2008
    noir_blood wrote: »

I think there's been like one TPB released of DP(Not counting the cable/deadpool ones) Surprising considering Marvel's penchant to release anything in trade paper back.

or a trade paperback of the taskmaster mini by udon. that shit was awesome

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited January 2008
    emnmnme wrote: »

I think the appeal with Deadpool is that he started as one of the biggest reasons why the 90s sucked. Created by Liefeld, badly drawn, tried to be badass, had a really stupid backstory that made him Wolverine2.

But somewhere along the line he went from some "Superbadass mercenary who would totally kill his mother for a buck" to "Batshit insane goofy bastard who rambles on about Bea Arthur" and he became lovable.

he's like that squirrel from the old cartoon

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited January 2008
    Servo wrote: »
    noir_blood wrote: »

or a trade paperback of the taskmaster mini by udon. that shit was awesome

I still wish they'd use the Udon costume for Taskmaster, the first time I saw him back in his Skeletor garb I was all "Who the fuck is this guy? taskamster doesn't look like that anymore." then I saw the explanation about how no one btohered to look in the taskmaster art files and saw the Udon update. I also was kinda hping he'd stick with Agency X and hope he goes abck to them sooner rather than later.

Which reminds of another thing, this new team is probably going to not use Agency X, which is unfortunate. I was looking forward to Alex and Wade competing while working together, and having Bob, Sandi and Cowgirl asa supporting cast would have been great for the book. Plus as I mentioned, Taskmaster making his way back to them couldn't hurt.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I thnk Agency X is best used as cameoes. Or in their own book.

And using the Udon look seems so obvious, I don't know how Tasky's been through so many artists since then and none of them have used it.

Scooter on
    edited January 2008
    Scooter wrote: »

And using the Udon look seems so obvious, I don't know how Tasky's been through so many artists since then and none of them have used it.

Well I was hoping if he goes back to Agency X at the end of of his return issue, he throws his Udon suit back on and says something like "Yeah, this feels right." and the readers collectively will go "Fuck Yeah!" at home. He's evolved past the whole villain thing at this point, and everything developed alongside his appearances with Deadpool and Alex suggest he's merc like Deadpool at heart, a good heroic guy, just with more of a fixation on wealth. He'll still do the right thing even if it doesn't pay, he'll just charge the next guy double to make up for it. =)

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I don't think I'd say that about him. He's got no problems doing a good thing if he's getting paid for it, or he's got some personal interest in it, but that's as far as I'd go.

He was trying to kill Moon Knight just a little bit ago, right?

Edit: Oh, and I'll add in that Dillon is my second most hated artist after Chaykin. His faces suck.

Scooter on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

He did wear it when he appeared in one of the Power Pack minis.

Munch on
    edited January 2008
    I like the skull mask. I especially like the image of the Initiative recruits stepping off the bus to the sight of a man who looks like walking death.

Crimsondude on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The newer costume is cool, but it looks too much like a track suit with some gizmos and armor on top of it. The helmet thing is very cool though. I like the idea of new (UDON) costume, but something about it just makes me think why is he wearing warmups? Shouldn't he be wearing some BDU pants, a bullet proof vest or something?

DouglasDanger on
    edited January 2008
    The newer costume is cool, but it looks too much like a track suit with some gizmos and armor on top of it. The helmet thing is very cool though. I like the idea of new (UDON) costume, but something about it just makes me think why is he wearing warmups? Shouldn't he be wearing some BDU pants, a bullet proof vest or something?

Well, he's a great deal more covert than Wade is. To pull off some of his acrobatics in secure areas he needs lightweight clothing since he doesn't have super strength. Also his holographic projector probably only extends so far around him, so he doesn't want armor sticking outside of the field, or making an odd noise that will get him detected. Also he stole some Stark Tech in the mini that gave him a glove/wristband that can duplicate weapons, and for repelling bullets he can make Captiain America's Shield.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    I don't think I'd say that about him. He's got no problems doing a good thing if he's getting paid for it, or he's got some personal interest in it, but that's as far as I'd go.

He was trying to kill Moon Knight just a little bit ago, right?

Edit: Oh, and I'll add in that Dillon is my second most hated artist after Chaykin. His faces suck.

Yeah. He got his shit wrecked when Moon Knight ejected the canopy of his copter, with Taskmaster on it, and slammed him into the ceiling.

Me Too! on
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    and then cut off his mask to show a crying taskmaster.

Angry on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    The whole point of that was a reference to a few issues before that, when he cut off Bushman's face.
    Which was fucking hardcore.

Me Too! on
    edited January 2008
    Yeah you see, that's not the Taskamster I've come to know and love, it looks like he's being written as going back to his pre Deadpool days. I thought he was more interesting how Fabian and other writers keeping in line with his viewpoint of Tasky wrote stories about him.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

I would love an Agency X book. In fact, I think that Simone herself said that she would have loved writing one too. Which makes me wonder, does anyone know what the whole thing between her and the marvel editors was about? I remember hearing that she had some dispute that caused her to get kicked out/leave the book.

And for those talking about Taskmaster, Newsarama had an article that some tv writer is going to be doing a mini on him. From the small interview with the writer, it seemed that he first wanted to do one on juggernaut, but couldn't do to Marvel telling him they had big plans on Jug, so he was offered Tasky. We'll see what uniform he wears there.

And I know that people either love deadpool or hate him, pretty much for the same reason. Cause he's goofy. That and his little yellow boxes. Oh how he loves his little yellow boxes.

noir_blood on
    edited January 2008
    Joe Carhanan. He directed Narc and Smokin' Aces.

I also seem to recall his blog post wasn't exactly enthusiastic about Tasky.

Crimsondude on
  • IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I don't want to make this a Taskmaster thread, but I don't think that UDON mini is in continuity anymore, if it ever was to begin with. He's had quite a few appearances since then, and not one seems to have referenced anything from it at all, so I doubt we'll be seeing any costume changes soon.

As for this Deadpool series, I'll be staying far, far away. I really wish they could find a competent writer and get Skottie Young to do the art. I love his C&D covers.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2008
    Yeah you see, that's not the Taskamster I've come to know and love, it looks like he's being written as going back to his pre Deadpool days. I thought he was more interesting how Fabian and other writers keeping in line with his viewpoint of Tasky wrote stories about him.

it's funny because i just read a collection of old avengers stories and the first appearance of taskmaster was in it and he was totally awesome. to show some avengers how badass he was at training dudes, he ordered a bunch of guys to attack him, knocked them all the fuck out and then docked their pay for sleeping on the job.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg