As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Sysadmin] Routing to null

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    And honestly, the real reason to do this is to discourage them from using you as a 1099 contractor/consultant. If they are, might as well charge them what a contractor would charge them.

Well... a contractor that wasn't duped into being a contractor but is actually a W2 employee.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Yeah, y’all, $200/hr isn’t crazy when dealing with experienced consultants, especially database people. Since you were on the inside and you were the one who set it up, you’re probably the most experienced person for that specific task possible.

Yeah, y’all, $200/hr isn’t crazy when dealing with experienced consultants, especially database people. Since you were on the inside and you were the one who set it up, you’re probably the most experienced person for that specific task possible.

Not only that, ICs have to take care of employer side costs like taxes, benefits (retirement/healthcare) and downtime (nothing to bill).

If your company provides something as a service, check out the sale quote that gets billed out. Even the mechanic that makes $28/hr is being billed at almost $150-200 an hour. Software and IT as a service? Depending on how many techs they have and how much downtime they have, that can range anywhere from $300-1000/hr.

A single tech only generates 2 million in revenue at 1k an hour, it's really not that much. Especially when you think about what your boss is probably bringing home and it's probably millions of dollars.

It really drives the screw in harder for how much wages stagnate, because if we had kept track with where it was going before unions and shit were squashed in the 70s/80s/90s, average wage in the US would probably be in the $50/hr range. And skilled labor would be $100+.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Ok, I called the person and they were just asking "did we have those laptops last, or did the client?"

I replied that I wouldn't have had any reason to bring them back to our office, to which they agreed, and that was that.

Send invoice for $400 y/n

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Manager of HR sent me an email directly telling me "multiple managers have complained to me today about VPN outages affecting their productivity" and CCed the CTO.

I spoke with our helpdesk and we got two calls about it.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    Ok, I called the person and they were just asking "did we have those laptops last, or did the client?"

I replied that I wouldn't have had any reason to bring them back to our office, to which they agreed, and that was that.

Send invoice for $400 y/n

No, not after the fact, but if they call again the first sentence you utter should be, "Hey just so you know I can't keep getting called like this about my old work. If you guys need help or questions answered, I have to be compensated. Even for quick little phone calls like this."

Because there will be another call now.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Manager of HR sent me an email directly telling me "multiple managers have complained to me today about VPN outages affecting their productivity" and CCed the CTO.

I bet there were zero or at most one person who complained to her and she was just stirring shit because she thought it would get fixed faster.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »

I bet there were zero or at most one person who complained to her and she was just stirring shit because she thought it would get fixed faster.

Nope! After talking to her, she had a list of a dozen names who'd either complained to her, or who were mentioned in third-person by others.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• TheSmackerTheSmacker Registered User regular

Nope! After talking to her, she had a list of a dozen names who'd either complained to her, or who were mentioned in third-person by others.

So now everyone is having mandatory training in the proper way to report IT issues, right?

Or is everyone just like "HR is two letters and so is IT, they're basically the same thing!"

TheSmacker wrote: »

So now everyone is having mandatory training in the proper way to report IT issues, right?

Or is everyone just like "HR is two letters and so is IT, they're basically the same thing!"

This is a culture of "open communication!"

edited June 2019
    any of you had a mac (macbook pro 2012ish) that would boot into recovery with command r but black screens eventually? Near as I can tell this thing works for the most part.

bowen on
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular

This is our life. We have 2 people who every time they have the smallest of issues email IT and cc the COO and CEO of the company, thinking that'll get them more/faster help.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    Just over here on a Saturday morning designing network solutions on the fly because our (substantially large) company has a completely non-sensical, poorly designed connectivity plan for its customer management platforms. nbd, not annoyed or anything.

wunderbar wrote: »

This is our life. We have 2 people who every time they have the smallest of issues email IT and cc the COO and CEO of the company, thinking that'll get them more/faster help.

I've encountered stuff like this before, my problem is that here people actually take it seriously

My boss encourages the practice by responding every time people do it and bumping other priorities to make room for the squeaky wheel

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    If you're thinking about offering consulting to the old job, make sure you check the contracts you signed at your new job. I know my job strictly prohibits me from consulting in similar work without vetting it back through corporate. Seems like overkill, but they're pretty protective of their IP.

What is this I don't even.
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Is there an easy way to get a mac OS X install disk so I can wipe all these 2009 imacs? Apparently the recovery drive cmd-R thing wasn't built in back then and I don't think we have any of the discs. I'm trying to get rid of these things but wanted to wipe them first and I don't know how. Macs! They're the worst!

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Is there an easy way to get a mac OS X install disk so I can wipe all these 2009 imacs? Apparently the recovery drive cmd-R thing wasn't built in back then and I don't think we have any of the discs. I'm trying to get rid of these things but wanted to wipe them first and I don't know how. Macs! They're the worst!

I'm on the bus so I can't verify any of it but this stackexchange seems to have you covered:
    https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/310825/trying-to-dban-2009-mac-mini

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »

I'm on the bus so I can't verify any of it but this stackexchange seems to have you covered:

Apparently I'm on Leopard so I'll need to figure out how to get them to snow leopard, which I think has the recovery stuff? Only have like a week to do this and this is a lot of effort for something we can sell for 30 bucks so perhaps we'll just wipe 'em and trash 'em, have to talk to the bosses. Thanks though!

• FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    any of you had a mac (macbook pro 2012ish) that would boot into recovery with command r but black screens eventually? Near as I can tell this thing works for the most part.

Try command + option + r to force it to try to boot to internet recovery instead of the local recovery partition. Sounds like the recovery partition might have an issue.

Huh...
    FF wrote: »

Try command + option + r to force it to try to boot to internet recovery instead of the local recovery partition. Sounds like the recovery partition might have an issue.

Nope did all that.

The keyboard backlight seems to have broken. I can leave it all day long on that internet recovery, move mouse, type, etc, but as soon as I connect it up to the wifi and it downloads it white screens (this is progress from black screening I guess) forever.

But this all seemed to happen a few nights ago when I was using it and the backlight went off then the laptop just shut down. The only thing I haven't checked is the connectors for the keyboard on the other side of the motherboard.

And the hardware diagnostic tool found no problems even with the long-test option.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I ran my theoretical remote hardware diagnostic tool and found one critical problem: it's a Mac. User guide recommends throwing it in the garbage.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    And the hardware diagnostic tool found no problems even with the long-test option.

Time to send it to Louis Rossman.

Mugsley on
    Ivanti is a pile of shit and every time it breaks I curse the asshole who wasted money on it.

• FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular

Nope did all that.

The keyboard backlight seems to have broken. I can leave it all day long on that internet recovery, move mouse, type, etc, but as soon as I connect it up to the wifi and it downloads it white screens (this is progress from black screening I guess) forever.

But this all seemed to happen a few nights ago when I was using it and the backlight went off then the laptop just shut down. The only thing I haven't checked is the connectors for the keyboard on the other side of the motherboard.

Sorry, you're saying it's fine booted normally though, only recovery is screwing up? Or you're booting to recovery because of the above backlight going off?

If it was in my hands I'd target boot it to a different Mac and see what's up with the drive, grab files, etc. If you had a USB installer, or access to make one, I'd give booting to that a shot too.

Huh...

Nope did all that.

Sorry, you're saying it's fine booted normally though, only recovery is screwing up? Or you're booting to recovery because of the above backlight going off?

If it was in my hands I'd target boot it to a different Mac and see what's up with the drive, grab files, etc. If you had a USB installer, or access to make one, I'd give booting to that a shot too.

Oh it doesn't boot normally no. On normal boot it black screens.

If I do a recovery, I can leave it there all day and it'll display that wifi thing just fine. As soon as I connect to wifi and it downloads then it white screens. Same with on disk recovery options.

The hard drive is fine, I don't have anything of value on it. I put a new hard drive in just to test to see if it was the drive or not. I noticed this crash happened about 5 seconds after the keyboard blacklight cranked off, so I just assumed it was not related until the other day when a google suggested this happens to other people.

Someone said unplugging the battery or smashing the keyboard side to side can help fix it, but not for me. And the keyboard still actually functions, it's almost like the blacklight commands on the keyboard not working causes the whole thing to brick, which is stupid, but that's definitely an apple design I've seen before.

Like it's not a problem with the panel's lighting because that part is working fine.

• dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »

Apparently I'm on Leopard so I'll need to figure out how to get them to snow leopard, which I think has the recovery stuff? Only have like a week to do this and this is a lot of effort for something we can sell for 30 bucks so perhaps we'll just wipe 'em and trash 'em, have to talk to the bosses. Thanks though!

Hold down T during boot, should put them in target disk mode; they'll mount to something else as a HDD. Then can just wipe 'em, unless you want an OS install on.

• lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    It's taking all of my self-control not to blast this person over a snarky email regarding a service being "consistently up".

WTF is your definition of consistently up? This is the first issue we had in months and yet you're emailing everyone in the company about it. So infuriating.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    3rd interview, and it felt good, but a few hours later I'm wondering if I'm just dead wrong and tanked it. I'll be paranoid until I hear back one way or another. I really hate remote interviewing. Phone I can't read your face, Skype I have to look at my fat face looking at your fat face through an unnecessarily high res webcam with my glasses reflecting every photon of light in the room, and you can probably see me sweating even before I do. Man, I like being in the room better.

If I have 5 interviews, I'm going to apologize to everyone in this thread repeatedly.

• pentium166pentium166 Registered User regular
    I'm a developer, but lately I've been learning terraform and aws in the pursuit of overengineering a CI infrastructure migration off of(!) Kubernetes.

There have been some roadblocks, such as wasting a day on "why the hell can't I reach this EC2 instance? This is literally the same network setup that worked before"

it's not dns
    decided to check the build log of my updated AMI, which was calling apt-get autoremove at one point
        amazon-ebs: The following packages will be REMOVED:                                                                                                                                  
        amazon-ebs:   apport apt-transport-https ca-certificates cloud-init gnupg-agent                                                                                  
        amazon-ebs:   python3-apport python3-certifi python3-httplib2 python3-requests                                                                                  
        amazon-ebs:   python3-requests-unixsocket snapd software-properties-common ssh-import-id                                                                                       
        amazon-ebs:   ubuntu-release-upgrader-core update-manager-core update-notifier-common                                                                             
        amazon-ebs: 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 16 to remove and 25 not upgraded.                                                                                            
        amazon-ebs: After this operation, 72.4 MB disk space will be freed.                                                                                                       
        amazon-ebs: The following packages will be REMOVED:
        amazon-ebs:   isc-dhcp-client isc-dhcp-common libdns-export1100 libisc-export169
        amazon-ebs:   libyaml-0-2 netplan.io openssl python3-asn1crypto python3-blinker
        amazon-ebs:   python3-cffi-backend python3-chardet python3-configobj python3-cryptography
        amazon-ebs:   python3-debconf python3-debian python3-distro-info python3-distupgrade
        amazon-ebs:   python3-idna python3-jinja2 python3-json-pointer python3-jsonpatch
        amazon-ebs:   python3-jsonschema python3-jwt python3-markupsafe python3-netifaces
        amazon-ebs:   python3-oauthlib python3-openssl python3-pkg-resources
        amazon-ebs:   python3-problem-report python3-serial python3-software-properties
        amazon-ebs:   python3-systemd python3-update-manager python3-urllib3 python3-yaml wget
        amazon-ebs: 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 36 to remove and 22 not upgraded.
        amazon-ebs: After this operation, 14.4 MB disk space will be freed.

That would probably do it. God damn.

• MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    Have a routing issue that I'm trying to sort out. I am at a loss as to what the next step would be to get this working, it seems like it is possible but perhaps it is not.

End goal - Route SMTP traffic from a DMZ server to a LAN Exchange server for SMTP relay purposes.

I think my issue at this point is the secondary address is assigned at the ISP equipment and not at the Sonicwall, this is the setup.

DMZ side
    Internal server - 192.168.101.10
    Interface IP - 192.168.101.1
    Actual IP - x.x.x.10

LAN side
    Exchange server - 192.168.100.10
    WAN IP - x.x.x.5

There are NAT policies in place already, firewall is open for port 25 - I have tested this by using telnet to an external mail relay. If I test to my mail server I get connection refused. There are no logged events for any of the IPs when this occurs.

Other things to note:
    - cannot ping the WAN IP from the DMZ
    - cannot traceroute, it shows the WAN IP resolved correctly but no hops happen

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    @Myiagros Presuming you're getting an actual "Connection Refused" vs a timeout, that would point to an issue of some kind at the firewall (or SMTP isn't running on the Exchange server which is unlikely but can be quickly verified with a telnet from the LAN segment). Reason being, something is specifically sending back a refusal in that case which makes it less likely to be a routing issue. I'm not super familiar with Sonicwall, but one thing to verify is that the rules allow DMZ - > LAN connectivity on port 25. When you say you're going externally, I assume it's going out a different interface than this specific traffic path. If there's a way to see NAT translation, you should also see if the NAT entries are being created when you try to initiate the session.

Ok, that makes sense. I have X1 for the main WAN and X4 for the DMZ. I have a feeling it might be a NAT rule then, just found it odd that ping and trace fail as well so was leaning towards something else.

Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Myiagros wrote: »
    Have a routing issue that I'm trying to sort out. I am at a loss as to what the next step would be to get this working, it seems like it is possible but perhaps it is not.

End goal - Route SMTP traffic from a DMZ server to a LAN Exchange server for SMTP relay purposes.

I think my issue at this point is the secondary address is assigned at the ISP equipment and not at the Sonicwall, this is the setup.

DMZ side
    Internal server - 192.168.101.10
    Interface IP - 192.168.101.1
    Actual IP - x.x.x.10

LAN side
    Exchange server - 192.168.100.10
    WAN IP - x.x.x.5

There are NAT policies in place already, firewall is open for port 25 - I have tested this by using telnet to an external mail relay. If I test to my mail server I get connection refused. There are no logged events for any of the IPs when this occurs.

Other things to note:
    - cannot ping the WAN IP from the DMZ
    - cannot traceroute, it shows the WAN IP resolved correctly but no hops happen

If you're goal is to get from 192.168.101.10 to 192.168.100.10, unless there's additional requirements to warrant it, I would think you would just route internally (assuming firewall rule allowing port 25 traffic between the two 192 subnets), so the question is why your traffic attempting to route out the WAN? Does your DMZ server think the mail server's IP address is public or private (192.), that is, is it just a simple DNS issue? If it's public, the other problem you could be experiencing is issues with hairpinning, that is, traffic trying to loop back in on itself LAN->WAN->LAN. Some devices handle that without any configuration needed, some don't allow it at all regardless of settings, and some require specific additional configuration and rules to make work.

Are all of your rules configured to log, particularly the default deny rule? Depending on device, it may only be logging traffic if you've specified it to do so on a per-rule basis.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited June 2019

HDD cable is probably toast, the 2012s were notorious for that. Pull out the drive and hook up to USB/Firewire sata controller and try and boot it using target disk mode, command + D or (maybe T?) on boot. If it loads, replace the cable with a like part from whereever you can source it, things like 30 bucks.

also maybe reset the NV ram? that might fix your keyboard backlight issue - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063
    this has different procedures based on model and can be straight foward or obtuse depending, if this has been taken apart before the cable for the backlight might be unplugged. it runs parallel to the keyboard cable iirc and has a stupid "Ninja Clip" style connector.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fd3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net%2Figi%2FJecSjCcEebbAhcla.standard&f=1

^ thats a picture of the backlight cable, the person is touching it with the black stick

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    our NFS went down today so that's fun

Myiagros, if you're still having trouble with this, how would you feel about whipping up a quick and dirty diagram? I'm having trouble visualizing your topology from your description.

• Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Helpdesk this morning (I'm still in transit at this point): Network on all locations is superslow, we can't enter the management servers. You replaced a server yesterday, can you put the old one back on?
    Me (on mobile): It was a SCCM distribution point for a single location I replaced, so this really isn't going to help you in any way.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    edited June 2019
    Here's a quick diagram.
    1ddkkdgbz5ki.png

I'll have to look at the physical setup because something seems off, this is based solely off of the config right now on the firewall. On the firewall there is no grouped interfaces for X4 so that connection has to be server > firewall. There is not even any reference to the .3 public IP on the firewall anywhere. There is also no internal connection from the DMZ to the LAN subnet so I can't do a direct route. I believe the firewall is doing all the routing and the ISP switch can't route back to go from .3 to .2.

Edit: Spoke to someone and it seems like what I want to do is not possible. On Sonicwall(maybe others) all of the public IPs can come in on the same interface and NAT takes care of the routing.

Myiagros on
This discussion has been closed.