As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fighting Games] As conceived in 2016 by Twitter operators

• SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    oh my god

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Hmm...have to say MK11 is probably the most balanced NRS game I've played.

Really can't say I feel any major changes need to be made to characters. Maybe a few tweaks here and there but I think hitbox/hurtbox issues are the biggest things.

Have to agree. As an example, I haven't been able to get off Shao Kahn (he's just FUN), and even though he is not good....he's usable. I definitely agree with some of the tier lists that put him in the top of the bottom 5, but he's not insta-dead / I get far too much enjoyment when beating a Sonya or a Jacqui or a Scorpion....

...but the top tier is definitely better, so they have a bit of a ways to go. It's so much better than 9 or 10 was, though.

My biggest problem with the MK games is still communication via animations. I'm not busting on the quality of animations, here....kind of....but more how they communicate what's going on.

The best way to explain it is that in most fighting games, I can fight a character a few times and quickly identify attacks that are safe versus unsafe. It's not 100%, obviously, and I'm not always right, but the animations communicate the type of attack it is. Don't get me wrong, I'd lab stuff and check or correct where I was wrong, but for the most part, I could tell just by playing a lot.

I have never felt Mortal Kombat did a good job of this and 11 isn't really an exception to that. So, while I think the game is visually the best it has ever been, and that includes animations, I still find myself going back to the Lab more than any other game sans MvC3 to check a string or an attack I just got hit by to see what / if I could do anything. MvC3 I just went to practice combos.

I actually haven't been this pleased with a MK installment since MK 2 and feel this is the best it's ever been, so don't think I'm hating on the game.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
    I feel like the only standout balance problem is that Geras is ridiculously good at everything that it counts to be good at and has a ton of easy damage

• templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Hmm...have to say MK11 is probably the most balanced NRS game I've played.

Really can't say I feel any major changes need to be made to characters. Maybe a few tweaks here and there but I think hitbox/hurtbox issues are the biggest things.

Have to agree. As an example, I haven't been able to get off Shao Kahn (he's just FUN), and even though he is not good....he's usable. I definitely agree with some of the tier lists that put him in the top of the bottom 5, but he's not insta-dead / I get far too much enjoyment when beating a Sonya or a Jacqui or a Scorpion....

...but the top tier is definitely better, so they have a bit of a ways to go. It's so much better than 9 or 10 was, though.

My biggest problem with the MK games is still communication via animations. I'm not busting on the quality of animations, here....kind of....but more how they communicate what's going on.

The best way to explain it is that in most fighting games, I can fight a character a few times and quickly identify attacks that are safe versus unsafe. It's not 100%, obviously, and I'm not always right, but the animations communicate the type of attack it is. Don't get me wrong, I'd lab stuff and check or correct where I was wrong, but for the most part, I could tell just by playing a lot.

I have never felt Mortal Kombat did a good job of this and 11 isn't really an exception to that. So, while I think the game is visually the best it has ever been, and that includes animations, I still find myself going back to the Lab more than any other game sans MvC3 to check a string or an attack I just got hit by to see what / if I could do anything. MvC3 I just went to practice combos.

I actually haven't been this pleased with a MK installment since MK 2 and feel this is the best it's ever been, so don't think I'm hating on the game.

For what it's worth, I have the same issue. Tekken has broad categories of moves that have similar properties and frame data. Standing 4 is often a launcher on CH, and characters with that property animate them very similarly. In MK, it seems like there's more variety in how they animate a mechanical idea - which is great! - but they don't do anything visually to group them together.

I think that's a valid criticism of their animation, even if it is more fluid and convincing than in previous games.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    I think they should maybe just ditch the concept of tournament variations and build a quick pick UI

• The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I said it before but should just be like picking a assist in mvc, if it gets to ham well fuck it havent had good ham since the pig from that injustice stage imo

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    The tournament variations on some characters are so unfunny and just mean I dont play them ever

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    I don't play online so I can use whatever I want and it still affects me because any non-ranked abilities have nothing written about them, anywhere, ever.

• Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    I don't think Travis Touchdown is going to be in Smash

Because he's going to be a guest fighter in Tekken instead bay-bee!

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    travis would fit in with tekken for sure

BahamutZERO.gif
  • RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Didn't they just put legally distinct Travis into DoA?

Radius on
    Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    SNK needs to hire a publicist. Cause they probably don't have one right now. Cause I JUST accidentially heard about Samuari Shodown making a return through an unrelated youtube search.

Only thing im peeved about is my favorite character isnt in it. (The ugly hunchback with the giant claw weapon). Hopefully he will be in DLC eventually, but I played most all the characters back in the day so I'll be pre-ordering today.

Like amazon doesnt even list the game in its upcoming releases and its two weeks away.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Ive seen a lot of ads but is all inside the fgc which well is the one place everyone knew it was coming so im kinda surprised they havent advertised it more widely lots of people remember playing the first

icGJy2C.png
    Ive seen a lot of ads but is all inside the fgc which well is the one place everyone knew it was coming so im kinda surprised they havent advertised it more widely lots of people remember playing the first

FGC?

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »

FGC?

Federation of Canadian Gastronomists. It's French.

(Fighting game community)

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    SNK needs to hire a publicist. Cause they probably don't have one right now. Cause I JUST accidentially heard about Samuari Shodown making a return through an unrelated youtube search.

Only thing im peeved about is my favorite character isnt in it. (The ugly hunchback with the giant claw weapon). Hopefully he will be in DLC eventually, but I played most all the characters back in the day so I'll be pre-ordering today.

Like amazon doesnt even list the game in its upcoming releases and its two weeks away.

I didn't think anyone else liked Gen An. Thank you, and yes, DLC please.

• KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    Gen-An hasn't been in a samsho game since 2 (unless you count 6 which a- had everyone just copy and pasted from older games and b- sucked)

I wouldn't hold my breath for him, unfortunately

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    You can play his descendant in Dead or Alive, though!

uyvfOQy.png
  • DeansDeans Registered User regular
    I wish DoA had more players, it's real fun. I guess a small fanbase of horny whales is what they prefer though.

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Honestly, I didn't think Earthquake was all that popular either, but I guess he's somehow more popular than Gen-An.

Or they really felt they needed a token American to point and laugh at.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Honestly, I didn't think Earthquake was all that popular either, but I guess he's somehow more popular than Gen-An.

Galford and his dog are American though.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    I really hope Earthquake can hold his own. I love his whole "Giant dude doing ninja tricks"

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular

IIRC, Earthquake is from Texas, so he's a Spanish colonist. Not that I expect SNK knew that

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited June 2019

"Don't forget your glasses!"

(and then this tweet got a Like from someone, I look up who it was, and turns out it's the actual VA herself)

SabreMau on
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular

For some reason I thought he was British-English. The doggo's name is Poppy, ffs.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure it was originally supposed to be Puppy, but, you know.

uyvfOQy.png
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    His name is Good Boy.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    Ge

Whats not to love. He uses his exceptional american ninja skills to fart on your head.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    MK11 competitive online format announced.

Pretty much identical to what I imagined SF should have if it were run by people who cared about being good at their jobs

Short seasons, ladder reset, unique cosmetic rewards for participation, rewarded for highest rank achieved, not rank-at-end-of-season

Basically cut and paste out of Blizzard competitive ladder formats

Jasconius wrote: »

Pretty much identical to what I imagined SF should have if it were run by people who cared about being good at their jobs

Short seasons, ladder reset, unique cosmetic rewards for participation, rewarded for highest rank achieved, not rank-at-end-of-season

Can you use your own character builds or is limited to the two 'competitive' load outs?

You need jpn ps+ to get the samsho demo?

Lame

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular

Can you use your own character builds or is limited to the two 'competitive' load outs?

unless something has changed outside the announcement... I'm assuming comp loadouts.

unless something has changed outside the announcement... I'm assuming comp loadouts.

Boo-urns.

edited June 2019
    Went to a big Denver tournament over the weekend. My transmission blew up as soon as we pulled in the venue so I figured it'd be a shit weekend, but it was fucking amazing. Justin Wong came and blew everyone up at street fighter (and kof 98). Did around 11 hours of commentary over 2 days. Got DQ'd from MK even though I stressed to everyone in earshot that I would be sitting at the stream desk with noise cancelling headphones on and please please please just give me a heads up if my match is called because I can't hear shit. No one did, I got DQ'd, still a little pissy about it.

68 entrants in Tekken was fucking awesome. Tournament was awesome, I did about as well as I figured I would. Got my back blown out on stream by the guy who took 3rd. Lost my first losers bracket game to a good AK, but match literally came down to last hit. Final final round. 2-2 overall. Was kind of expecting to get deuced because I haven't been playing much, so not unhappy with my performance.

Best part of the whole weekend, in a bigass bracket full of OGs and killers, a 16 year old girl won the whole thing. Damn near a grand in pot + bonus money as well as a totally paid trip to CEO for her plus one.

Knob on
  • DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    thats awesome

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Knob wrote: »
    Went to a big Denver tournament over the weekend. My transmission blew up as soon as we pulled in the venue so I figured it'd be a shit weekend, but it was fucking amazing. Justin Wong came and blew everyone up at street fighter (and kof 98). Did around 11 hours of commentary over 2 days. Got DQ'd from MK even though I stressed to everyone in earshot that I would be sitting at the stream desk with noise cancelling headphones on and please please please just give me a heads up if my match is called because I can't hear shit. No one did, I got DQ'd, still a little pissy about it.

68 entrants in Tekken was fucking awesome. Tournament was awesome, I did about as well as I figured I would. Got my back blown out on stream by the guy who took 3rd. Lost my first losers bracket game to a good AK, but match literally came down to last hit. Final final round. 2-2 overall. Was kind of expecting to get deuced because I haven't been playing much, so not unhappy with my performance.

Best part of the whole weekend, in a bigass bracket full of OGs and killers, a 16 year old girl won the whole thing. Damn near a grand in pot + bonus money as well as a totally paid trip to CEO for her plus one.

I’m fucking dying on the inside For some reason I thought this was in JULY.

I totally would have fuckin skipped grocery shopping to be at this.

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    She looked in total shock when she won, that's fantastic.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
This discussion has been closed.