As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fire Emblem] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    It seems like The Big Thing™ will happen somewhat early in the game. Some of the Famitsu coverage revealed that a lot of the game's sidequest have an expiration date of
    February, while the game starts in April of the previous year. So probably less than halfway through the game.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Didn't the leaker also say they deliberately sprinkled some falsehoods through there as well?

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    So the latest trailer pretty much confirms what a lot of us were thinking.
    Totally gonna be a time skip.
    So Awakening/Fates style eugenics programming for children again?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
    GONG-00 wrote: »

Not unless they plan on sending 4-year olds into battle.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    No, it doesn't seem like the timeskip is going to be long enough for that. Only five years. Unless we have the hyperbolic time chamber again (christ no)

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    this trailer makes me feel a lot better about this game, even though it was just story stuff

I was leaning towards Team Yellow previously but idk, this did a lot for selling me on Blue

Maz- wrote: »

Not unless they plan on sending 4-year olds into battle.

Actually, there's one FE character who'd approve of that

schaefferandbabies.jpg

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Beat 25 on my first try. 26... not so much.

wVEsyIc.png
    So here's something I've been wondering. Spoilers, I guess? Trailer spoilers.
    Alright, so there's gonna be a time-skip. And after that time-skip the gang's not in school any more.

OK, cool. However...

Previous trailers and snippets have shown that school is a pretty important element in learning combat skills and unlocking new classes for your characters. And I don't think that system's gonna get dropped once we flash forward. So is everybody going to go back to school? Or will it be same system, but just reframed as you, the strategist, training the army? Will grown-up, one-eyed, smash-the-state Dimitri worry about his homework assignments?

Then again, in trailer Sothis mentions something about both sides of time being revealed to the player characters. Probably this is just some kind of premonition thing, but it might also imply that the time-skip isn't a straightforward one, but that some temporal shenanigans are gonna go down. Or maybe not. I dunno.

• LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Maz- wrote: »
    Although, I will say that trailer made me consider doing a Blue Lions playthrough.

Not as my first one, that's still gonna be Black Eagles. But at some point.

I'm not really a fan of Edelgard's new outfit. Claude looked badass though, and he was my least favorite before today.

Do you mean Dimitri? I think Claude's future costume is incredibly ugly. There's just so many random bits of stuff, and too many disparate colours:

kpxxyv6tq8xi.jpg

Empress Edie and Di-KING-IN-THE-NORTH-mitri look pretty good to me:
    a5ivmmxggn62.jpg

6w2rrusqnp81.jpg

Also, Gamespot has a hands on video with probably the most comprehensive overview (in English) yet. Some things include:
    • Confirmation that the weapon triangle is gone. [Though apparently training Swords will teach you Axe-Breaker, etc.]
    • You can recruit characters from other houses, but who wants to join you will depend on your professor levels and stats.
    • No kids.
    • There are definitely Base, Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced classes, and a scroll bar suggests there'll be some sort of "Expert" fourth tier.

LordSolarMacharius on
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Claude and Dmitri both look rad af.

Edel is my least fav of the bunch but her head thing is cool. The actual costume feels way too bright though.

• TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Oh boy that's some Edge™ on him right there. Wonder if your time powers evolve and you Ocarina of Time style deal with this game's plot.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Yeah, Sothis's "both sides of time are revealed to you, what shall you do?" makes me think that there might be some bouncing around between periods instead of a full on skip.

//

I guess FE3H is supposed to be shown off at today's Treeehouse too.

• TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Conflicted about watching it or not. I want to see everything but it's not like I need to be sold on the game any further and want to save some surprises for a month from now.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Yea I'm definitely on avoiding anything else now.

I don't want to see any other story tidbits and they seem very okay with showing those.

edited June 2019
    Two other neat bits from the Gamespot video. First, Dedue at level 15:
    042-level-up.jpg
    (Speed of 4 and a Resistance of 1. Ouch. Keep this man away from mages.)

And more importantly... Garreg Mach Monastery has an "Amiibo Gazebo".

LordSolarMacharius on
    I'm willing to bet today's Treehouse stream will mostly only show off some Monastery school stuff and maybe a battle for the new combat stuff.

I seriously doubt they'll be dropping major story spoilers.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    No kids?! YESSSS!!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    I'm willing to bet today's Treehouse stream will mostly only show off some Monastery school stuff and maybe a battle for the new combat stuff.

I seriously doubt they'll be dropping major story spoilers.

You were correct. They only had a half hour, so they blazed through a lot of stuff. Couple of points:
    • It appears you can steal characters from other houses in the first part of the game. Teaching the Black Eagles, they had access to Raphael and Ignatz.
    • There will be Paralogue chapters available focused on the characters you have, sort of like in Valkyria Chronicles 4. The example they played was one involving the aforementioned poached Golden Deer.
    • Romancing is confirmed to be back.
    • There were glimpses of three more Church/Officer Academy staff.
    • Dismounting is an available option mid battle.

MNC Dover wrote: »
    No kids?! YESSSS!!

Was that confirmed? If so, WOOOOOOOO!!!! thank goodness.
    It appears you can steal characters from other houses in the first part of the game. Teaching the Black Eagles, they had access to Raphael and Ignatz.

Glad they confirmed this so I don't have to spoiler it now. But this was the thing I asked the leaker and they told me it was the case. Also just happy to see they were correct with that one. So now I can pick Deer(or Lions after seeing new Dmitri...) while stealing all the other students from Eagles since they have my favorite regular characters by far.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    No kids?! YESSSS!!

It appears you can steal characters from other houses in the first part of the game. Teaching the Black Eagles, they had access to Raphael and Ignatz.

Glad they confirmed this so I don't have to spoiler it now. But this was the thing I asked the leaker and they told me it was the case. Also just happy to see they were correct with that one. So now I can pick Deer(or Lions after seeing new Dmitri...) while stealing all the other students from Eagles since they have my favorite regular characters by far.

Serenes Forest has an analysis of GameSpot's gameplay preview video.

In order to recruit characters from other Houses, you need to meet their exacting standards (read: certain stats have to be high enough) and it's likely that everybody will have different standards. So I doubt you'll be able to steal all the other students simply because you probably won't be able to level up every single stat enough to do it.

Also, there may just be a hard cap on the amount of other students you can recruit. That's just speculation, though.

No kids?! YESSSS!!

Serenes Forest has an analysis of GameSpot's gameplay preview video.

In order to recruit characters from other Houses, you need to meet their exacting standards (read: certain stats have to be high enough) and it's likely that everybody will have different standards. So I doubt you'll be able to steal all the other students simply because you probably won't be able to level up every single stat enough to do it.

Also, there may just be a hard cap on the amount of other students you can recruit. That's just speculation, though.

Oh that's actually super cool!

So I have to work towards recruiting my favorites... i really like that idea!

And basically as long as I can steal Petra and Dorothea I will be happy.

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    No kids? That means no fantasy genetic engineering program!

Oh well, I admit it was pretty silly in Fates, with all the hoops they had to jump through to still-not-really make sense.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Good. I can matchmake without caring about that.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Ark EvensongArk Evensong The NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Not to drag that whole discussion back up again, and perhaps this is old news, but here's F-Byleth's in-combat attire:
    tq3w1hlhqer2.jpg
    Could be an early-game or class thing, I guess. But I'm quite happy for now.

Also something I possibly missed earlier, but the Threehouse Treehouse presentation also confirmed that [game mechanics, probably doesn't need a spoiler but whatevs.]
    Mila's Turnwheel from Echoes is back as "Divine Pulses". (I know it was highly suspected/theorised at some point.)

Ark Evensong on
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    So here's something I've been wondering. Spoilers, I guess? Trailer spoilers.
    Alright, so there's gonna be a time-skip. And after that time-skip the gang's not in school any more.

OK, cool. However...

Previous trailers and snippets have shown that school is a pretty important element in learning combat skills and unlocking new classes for your characters. And I don't think that system's gonna get dropped once we flash forward. So is everybody going to go back to school? Or will it be same system, but just reframed as you, the strategist, training the army? Will grown-up, one-eyed, smash-the-state Dimitri worry about his homework assignments?

Then again, in trailer Sothis mentions something about both sides of time being revealed to the player characters. Probably this is just some kind of premonition thing, but it might also imply that the time-skip isn't a straightforward one, but that some temporal shenanigans are gonna go down. Or maybe not. I dunno.

Maybe whichever side you pick takes control of the academy and you'll still be able to use the various facilities? But yeah, I don't think it'll really be a school setting anymore after the time skip.

Not to drag that whole discussion back up again, and perhaps this is old news, but here's F-Byleth's in-combat attire:
    tq3w1hlhqer2.jpg

That's her class-changed into a... Mercenary (I think. Maybe a Soldier).

One downer thing: male characters have access to more classes than women. In the Intermediates, guys get Dark Mages and Brawlers while only ladies can be Pegasus Knights. At third tier, women can't be the Advanced-Brawlers and (perplexingly) Heroes.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    tq3w1hlhqer2.jpg

That's her class-changed into a... Mercenary (I think. Maybe a Soldier).

One downer thing: male characters have access to more classes than women. In the Intermediates, guys get Dark Mages and Brawlers while only ladies can be Pegasus Knights. At third tier, women can't be the Advanced-Brawlers and (perplexingly) Heroes.

WTF?! What is Teacher teaching?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Gamespot seems to be one of the few outlets covering the game, have put out 12 minutes of (unrushed) gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbG2b-ckJBs

It occurred to me last night that I ended up buying a 3DS for Awakening and now I'll be buying a Switch for this. I was holding off because of those rumors about a new model coming out but since Nintendo is still denying that at E3 I think I'm gonna bite the bullet.

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    So I did pretty much everything in Awakening.

Grabbed Fates, made it through the 1st campaign (Hoshido?), completed it pretty thoroughly, but burnt off before going into the Nohr or third campaigns.

Just got wind there's a new FE coming out next month? Do I jump back in? I'm worried I'll get oversaturated again and won't be able to complete everything.

Should I go back and finish Fates first/instead?

• TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular

This is an annoying backslide after Fates.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Never played a Fire Emblem in my life but what can only be described as "infectious joy" that the Treehouse (?) presenters had for the game has me interested; that and the gameplay actually looked quite tactical (I had heard this series was little more than RPS-combat).

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
    ED! wrote: »
    Never played a Fire Emblem in my life but what can only be described as "infectious joy" that the Treehouse (?) presenters had for the game has me interested; that and the gameplay actually looked quite tactical (I had heard this series was little more than RPS-combat).

Someone lied to you.

They are very good turn-based strategy games (some better than others but across so many games that is to be expeteced). The weapon triangle is a single RPS mechanic that is part of the series. It's just that certain weapon types are weaker or stronger against others. But there are also more weapons and elements than the three in the triangle with varying other strengths and weaknesses.

Also that RPS mechanic seems to be gone this time. They change up various mechanics in each iteration.

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Pairing your heroes to produce superior offspring still a thing?

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Pairing your heroes to produce superior offspring still a thing?

Nope, no children in this game

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
This discussion has been closed.