As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Slay the Spire] Silently Watching the Defective Ironclad Heart.

• BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    akjak wrote: »
    Auralynx wrote: »
    What do I do about Giant Head?

Kill it fast. It's extra-vulnerable to card spam. That's really about it.

But how kill it fast if don’t play a lotta cards?

If you have the energy, always play your non-attack cards first. Always play your highest damage attack card with your last energy. If you are poison silent, you better have burst catalyst or wraith form. If you are orb/powers defect you better have a dozen buffers. If you are ironclad, just, like, punch it's giant face a lot.

• KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    Grabbed this for Switch and it seems great. I really have any strategies so far, I just keep picking cards that seem cool and trying them out. I'm having a ton of fun doing that even if I win or lose.

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Kriegaffe wrote: »
    Grabbed this for Switch and it seems great. I really have any strategies so far, I just keep picking cards that seem cool and trying them out. I'm having a ton of fun doing that even if I win or lose.

This is actually a super great strategy for the game. If you can't figure out what a card does or why you'd ever take it... Take it and see!

Then do it again, check what relics you have, etc.

Re: giant head - it's just a big ol does your deck scale (and scale fast) check.(it's also testing your ability to deploy your scaling, so card selection and card draw make him a lot easier).

Either Good offensive scaling or strong defense scaling is enough - even at a20 he can't do more than 70 a turn. So your can just make piles of block and grind him down.

Also due to his time dilation mechanic he's super weak to decks that combo out into attacks. (Every card played increases the damage he takes by 10%).

Defect powers usually beats him by getting echo form into play and then going creative Ai -> storm. Honestly just having creative ai (assuming you can put it into play t1/t2) is often enough.

Hopefully do some streaming tomorrow!

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    I sort of hate playing around Snecko Eye and hate that it's so good. Although it's less annoying on Ironclad and if you get a Defect run with some meteor strikes it's good for a laugh. But i find that it changes how you play - in card choices and in increasing the value of card draw/discard - so much that it ends up feeling a lot more RNG as to whether you keep advancing or end up with a turn where you just die due to bad luck. Butt if it shows up as a boss reward it feels like a bad move to ever skip it.

I've come around on Runic Pyramid which I disliked at first because of how easily you can end up with a full hand and miss card draws. Like Snecko Eye it also massively increases the value of card discard without making card draw as mandatory. Mostly though it encourages carefully planned combos which feel super rewarding when you pull them off. Even if building your deck around specific combos isn't necessarily the best strategy, Runic Pyramid makes playing the right card at the right time much easier.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • JookieJookie Registered User regular
    B705D607757135E989C1FE5BA2F0E2F19F0BE457
    3-0 achieved. Managed to heal to full starting against the Heart at 27/90. Was hoping to early exhaust into a Corruption since I didn't have one and the power potion I bought at the A4 shop was kind enough to give me one on turn one. Buffered through the first attack and then Disarm prevented the multi attack from doing damage. By then I had all my powers in play and quickly killed the Heart off of that. The previous two runs I did ended up at full HP, though the run prior only had to heal one health.

Also interesting to note that the first and third of the streak were three energy Dead Branch runs and took two hours and then 1:49:45 on the Ironclad one. The Defect run in between was a little over an hour. That deck was really strong and after a while I spent most of my time thinking of what cards to just clear out of my hand to make room to draw rather than what cards I actually wanted to play.

butts
  • akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    We’ve gotten a win on Ironclad, very close on Silent. But Defect... we just keep crapping out early in Act 3 (at the latest).

Seems like we’ve just had really bad luck on all those runs.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    We’ve gotten a win on Ironclad, very close on Silent. But Defect... we just keep crapping out early in Act 3 (at the latest).

Defect is kinda involved. I think that's probably most people's progression.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

I don't understand something. The Defect card that says it doubles your energy. Sometimes when I cast it I go from 3 to 4. Sometimes I go from 4 to 8. What gives?

• GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    If you haven't upgraded it, it costs 1 mana. So when you cast it at 3 mana, it deducts 1 mana then doubles your remaining 2 mana. If you have upgraded it, it costs 0 mana, so if you cast it at 4 mana it will double to 8.

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »

Defect is kinda involved. I think that's probably most people's progression.

Defect is by far the most complicated class, for sure. Orbs are a whole layer of complexity to deal with that ohter classes just... dont, and balancing evoking, slots, focus and generation of orbs is... whoooboy.

On that note, imma goin' live poeple! Not sure how long i'll be live for -we're starting with ironclad today. Stream in the spoiler below, i'll replace it with a VOD when i'm done.

• swaylowswaylow Registered User regular
    With the game now out on Switch, I finally began my attempts to Slay the Spire yesterday around 2pm.

Around 1am I had still not beaten the third boss but had made it past the second a handful of times.

This game is good. I love how many little choices can dramatically alter your deck and your run.

Whoops, forget to edit in the vod, so here it is:

Sound's a bit messed up, so my voice may be hard to hear - apologies.

Ironclad and Silent, both got eaten by the A2 boss here. Ironclad was a case of great relics, great cards, zero fucking scaling and minimal card draw = Splat. Noticeably, it struggled to block which is not where you want to be vs Bronze Automatom. The Silent deck was an awkward mess, again done in by defence issues - If it'd found apparitions and/or a catalyst, it'd have been set, but it did not and down it went.

@AresProphet So you've correctly identified that Snecko Eye is super super strong! But... there are times when you should skip it.

Snecko eye's big thing is that it draws you 2 cards, and distorts energy costs. In effect this makes Snecko Eye at it's best for letting you find and put into play stuff like the Form cards, Creative Ai, or similar expensive scaling options. It's also very good at enhancing a deck that's playing powerful, expensive cards.

However, if you have no 2/3 cost cards it can easily be detrimental. The more your deck values consistently playing specific cards (Decks using Claw as a method to scale, for example), the worse it gets. One way to evaluate how confusing effects you is: 75% of the time, 0 costs will cost you more energy to play than normal. 50% of the time, 1 costs will cost you more (and save you energy 25% of the time). 50% of the time, you'll save energy on two costs, and spend more 25%. 75% of the time, you save energy with 3 costs. 4 costs and 5 costs are always guaranteed to be cheaper than average, though there are some funky rules on how cost discounts and snecko eye works.

Another move is to acquire orange pellets, which lets you purge the confusion debuff. Personally, i'm not a fan of doing this - but Orange pellets is exceptionally strong.

Hopefully, this is all useful!

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I just won A10 on the ironclad on the back of two immolates and necronomicon. I don't even remember what else was in my deck because none of it mattered.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Excellent ... It feels like it has been too long.
    u4y8hn1dyih0.png
    I can't remember the last time I had a Silent run end with over 100 health. The heart itself was definitely the only fight that gave me any trouble~

• SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    I just got this game on the Switch and am really enjoying it but I'm sure there's a lot that's escaping me. I can make it past the first stage pretty easily but consistently get my ass handed to me in the second stage.

So far I enjoy the second character far more than the first, and the third was inscrutable enough that I played it once and figured I'd come back to it later.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Huh.
    g9osqeq1mnq5.png

I gave up on this deck being a heartkiller very early, and it probably wouldn't have been one. The empowered elites were always in shit places, every treasure chest I opened was pretty important, and I could have only spared the very last bonfire as it was. But I have to say, considering how I was down to less than 10 life several times, this scrap bucket really turned it around. Ate time-eater without his reset by taking damage and then hitting him for roughly 300 lightning in one round (thanks 2x Static Discharge+ and Emotion Chip~), and then somehow perfected the shapes with more than 8 stacks of buffer accrued behind that. I don't fucking know, man.
    Topically, it is very hard to get 25 focus without just fucking killing whatever you're fighting first. Darn it. :P

• JookieJookie Registered User regular
    2F3DDF91BA0E0A1F3DB14A57A9A98C80A82E4059
    D6E70BCDFC3967EDBC48E954EA72464DAFC8A5FE
    Lost twenty health in one turn to the A4 elite and zero damage the other turns. Was disappointed at the Runic Dodecahedron pickup but even if I left that fight full it wouldn't have mattered. First two turns had horrible hands and I lost all but five HP to the first attack. Nearly died to the Beat of Death since I didn't realize it up ticked to three but thankfully Ornamental Fan ticks first and saved me. That would have been a way to go out.

butts
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I beat the heart on Ascension 20 with each of the characters and was finally able to tear myself away from the game

I pray to god they don't release any more content, I have a life I need to live

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
    I beat the heart on Ascension 20 with each of the characters and was finally able to tear myself away from the game

Other classes are coming. They hunt towards you, seeking this thing you call life

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2019

When @“the zombie penguin” started playing Slay the Spire, they were a living penguin. The new content will push them to vampire penguin. Maybe a Lich?

Edit: Notifying people with spaces in their name is hard. I regret the space in my forum name all the time.

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    edited June 2019
    MNC Dover wrote: »

When @“the zombie penguin” started playing Slay the Spire, they were a living penguin. The new content will push them to vampire penguin. Maybe a Lich?

Edit: Notifying people with spaces in their name is hard. I regret the space in my forum name all the time.

Well I can't just be thezombiepenguin. That's be weird.

Also you're incorrect! I have always been The Zombie Penguin.

(Except for that one time I was The Fairy Penguin, just to irritate a trash talker in tf2)

To add to the discussion, I'd love to see alternate act 2/3s, and possibly some different act 4 elites. Maaaybe a different heart fight as well?

Main thinking there is it'd a: suit the weird nature of the spire, and b: provide some really fertile ground for expanding things.

I think act 1 would be fine to keep as a fixed point though, but having mod possibilities of where your journey takes you would be great. (I believe there already The Jungle as a mod that does this?

The Zombie Penguin on
  • KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    I’ve been playing this a bit. I got up to the heart once with the Ironclad, but my attacks weren’t enough to destroy it (or something). I picked up a relic that gave +1 energy, but I couldn’t pick my cards. That run went so much better than the runs when I was picking cards.

Question: If I’m struggling, should I just abandon my run? Other rogue-like games a random drop often can turn things around. Here it seems like if I’ve had bad luck and made some bad choices, I may as well start again.

• TairuTairu Registered User regular
    Managed to beat it with Ironclad and Silent, still haven't managed to get all the way with Defect even though i've had some really good runs. I'm thinking of going for a power-heavy run next time.

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Defect Tip: Always Be Orbin'

Do not underestimate the power of Ball Lightning. At max orbs, it’s 15 damage for one energy against a single target. That’s stronk!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • TairuTairu Registered User regular
    The first thing I always do if I have a chance is upgrade the zap card so I can just get that free extra orb. Is that worth it?

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    aaaaah I finally beat the game. ironclad, strength scaling out the wazoo. got limit break/demon form both in act 1, and heavy blade did the rest.

oh god how do I play the other two :bigfrown:

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    Zap, Bash, and Neutralize are really good upgrades from the starting cards.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Kriegaffe wrote: »
    I’ve been playing this a bit. I got up to the heart once with the Ironclad, but my attacks weren’t enough to destroy it (or something). I picked up a relic that gave +1 energy, but I couldn’t pick my cards. That run went so much better than the runs when I was picking cards.

Question: If I’m struggling, should I just abandon my run? Other rogue-like games a random drop often can turn things around. Here it seems like if I’ve had bad luck and made some bad choices, I may as well start again.

Depends on how you feel. Runs aren't long, so doesn't hurt to just try and practice even if you think it'll die. Depending on which way it's "bad," too, it may be salvageable with with right drops or events.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    If you abandon your run, I don't think you get the 4 options at the start of a run, unless that changed.

I only tried it once, but it was probably still in early access. So now if I want to abandon a run, I just die on purpose instead

• Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    the best metaphor for completing all the a20s on this game is “congratulations! you smoked enough crack to finally quit!”

a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
    So... For a game with very transparent info, we can’t figure out how to unlock Act 4.

We have a victory on each character in standard mode, but I’ve never seen the cutscene all the guides talk about, and I don’t have the symbol next to my name.

Do I have to watch all the credits? Does the Switch version not have act 4? What gives?

So... For a game with very transparent info, we can’t figure out how to unlock Act 4.

We have a victory on each character in standard mode, but I’ve never seen the cutscene all the guides talk about, and I don’t have the symbol next to my name.

Do I have to watch all the credits? Does the Switch version not have act 4? What gives?

You need the three keys to unlock the heart. To unlock the option to get the three key, iirc, you need a win with every character, or three wins with a single character?

Once you unlock the keys, you can get one key from fighting an elite with flames around it on the map (once per act will show up until it is killed. Stronger than regular elites)
    One key from a fire (can't upgrade or rest)
    And one key from skipping the rewards from a non-boss fight chest

Burtletoy wrote: »

You need the three keys to unlock the heart. To unlock the option to get the three key, iirc, you need a win with every character, or three wins with a single character?

Once you unlock the keys, you can get one key from fighting an elite with flames around it on the map (once per act will show up until it is killed. Stronger than regular elites)

Yeah, I know all that. But it seems like we've fulfilled the conditions to unlock key-getting. The guides all say we'll see a cutscene where part of a three-part crystal fills in. Until you have all three, and then you have an emblem next to your name. We do not have that emblem, have never seen the cutscene, but our statistic show we have a victory on all three characters in standard mode.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I don't know why that is, but At 4 is basically a bonus mode anyways. I consider a run successful and complete when I beat Act 3, If I go for anything further and how much it matters just depends on how I'm feeling

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Nearly beat the third floor boss last night. Had a pretty good Ironclad deck going and was in the second (final?) phase of that blue raven wolf thing, had him down to about 50 hp before I got a bad draw with no block. I think I might have managed to scrape out a win if I’d just managed to live for one more turn.

The combination of bulwark, artifacts boosting dexterity and giving me block whenever I take damage, the artifact letting me pick from random skills to add to my draw pile so I can stack limit breaks, and a couple of rampages really murders bosses.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
    I guess maybe I'll submit a bug report then. No one seems to know why we don't have it.

edited June 2019
    Burtletoy wrote: »

Yeah, I know all that. But it seems like we've fulfilled the conditions to unlock key-getting. The guides all say we'll see a cutscene where part of a three-part crystal fills in. Until you have all three, and then you have an emblem next to your name. We do not have that emblem, have never seen the cutscene, but our statistic show we have a victory on all three characters in standard mode.

I would try to get one more win with whichever character was your first win. Also, you might need to unlock all of the card unlocks for each character first,, if you haven't gotten them all yet?

Edit: Also all three wins probably have to be on the same account/profile/whatever it's called

Burtletoy on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I got this on Switch! Tried it out. Got to the second act on my first try with fighty man, my second try was with skull-face and didn't really go far, but then my third was gossip-stone-head and that went all the way to the heart! Got me a couple of the card that brings back all your zero cost cards from the discard, an artifact that keeps drawing if your hand is empty, and then a bazillion zero cost cards. I was rolling elites for fun by the end.

Then I realised it was gone midnight and it was one of those games.

@akjak I doubt this helps but I'm on Switch and I skipped the credits and I got the one third of a three pronged crest thing lighting up afterwards, so no idea what's up with your game I'm afraid. Do all three characters have Ascension unlocked on the character select screen? I've only got that on Gossip-Stone-Face so it might tell you which one the game thinks is missing.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    Oh yeah, if any of your wins were on custom runs or daily climbs? Those might not count?