As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Canadian Politics] Takin' out the trash to replace it with... whoops.

• RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    So, latest news seems to be that Liberals are still slipping in the polls. Even in francophone anti-pipeline Québec the anti-francophones pro-pipeline Conservatives are gaining ground now.

The economy is going strong, with the jobless rate dropping to its lowest in years. Of course the MSM is careful not to mention the Liberals at all in this news. The new NAFTA deal was a win for us, which no one talked about. And the steel tariffs were removed, which the Liberals announced on a Friday afternoon in a move seemingly designed to minimize the amount of positive press they could get. Anti-abortion laws in the US are reopening the debate in Canada as well, with anti-abortion groups strong and active within the CPC, yet neither the media nor the Liberals call them out on this.

This weekend my girlfriend was subjected to two anti-Trudeau ads, one by robocall and one on YouTube. Anti-Scheer private groups are getting active as well. There's been zero from the Liberals so far.

Any word if they plan on campaigning and fighting back at all? Or is the plan to sit back and suffer a historic defeat?

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    It feels like the federal Liberals are still stuck in the old way of political thinking where they're not going to campaign until day one after the election campaign officially starts.

• AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    If they fight back they'll be attacked for campaigning while in office just like the news attacked Harper for doing the same....oh wait...

• quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    It feels like the federal Liberals are still stuck in the old way of political thinking where they're not going to campaign until day one after the election campaign officially starts.

I mean, that should kind of be the law (I think it technically is????). The essentially non-stop campaigning that we see in the US is just mentally draining sometimes.

quovadis13 wrote: »
    Shadowen wrote: »

I mean, that should kind of be the law (I think it technically is????). The essentially non-stop campaigning that we see in the US is just mentally draining sometimes.

It is but the Conservatives don't give a shit and haven't since at least Harper.

No excuse for not hammering on some of the wins here especially the trade related stuff.

• CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Can we just call it what it is? Its propaganda, conservative interests have friends who own the majority of our various media and are using that leverage to tell convenient lies ad naseum till we believe them.

Propaganda isn't a new phenomenon, last time this came around we realized we needed to print our own papers with far more progressive editorials to get out ahead of their bullshit.

steam_sig.png
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

Sarah Fischer is the Conservative Party of Canada Candidate in Don Valley North

and also a huge embarassment to everyone who knows her

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I am downright embarrassed this meme exists in general. It's the dumbest. Who didn't grow up with a juice box in their lunch. It's ridiculous the reach being given for this

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    $10 that riding flips Conservative next election.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

Sarah Fischer is the Conservative Party of Canada Candidate in Don Valley North

and also a huge embarassment to everyone who knows her

Wait, your Conservatives are now against cardboard drink containers? Something that people over 50 should be more familar with since fruit juice and milk have been sold in them forever?

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    "They're selling dinks in glass bottles, err I mean round windows now? It'll never work!"

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Well you see water being sold in cardboard rather than plastic is environmentalist tree-hugging hippie crap, so it must be mocked.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Shows how fucked up my brain is.

"Cardboard water bottles? How the fuck is that going to... work..."

"Oh yeahhh..."

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Lame excuse for wet T-shirt video for all those Sun newspaper subscribers conservative voters.

Very high likelihood of working

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Where does this position even come from? What did Trudeau say to make Conservatives decided they hate juice boxes?

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Where does this position even come from? What did Trudeau say to make Conservatives decided they hate juice boxes?

It's from an awkward comment from an interview about the proposed plastic bottle ban: https://www.thepostmillennial.com/canadians-are-trolling-trudeau-over-boxed-water-comments/

So obviously you do the stupid thing and try to drink water out of a giant cardboard box like someone in those marketing commercials who can't seem to do anything at all

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    This is the conservative equivalent of making fun of trump for saying "United Staysh" except they're even more excited

I laughed quite a bit at that Trudeau clip because it's funny seeing people mess up speeches but how that turns into a political issue is beyond me.

That said, there was no end if Harper Roboto memes.

• psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    What is this post millennial shit? Looks like a right wing echo chamber.

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Its people in a shitty situation (climate change impacts, housing crisis, wealth disparity, buying power reducing, reduced influence of higher education [and the increase of its debt load] and shrinking job markets so the owners can keep wages down) turning to any convenient explanation out of fear, not realizing they are being manipulated in their frustration at systems that seem beyond their control. Also not a new phenomenon, we've long known extremists gain ground in hard times, some even try to make those hard times happen on purpose, especially if those hard times start to hit the majority who used to have the privilege of comfort. That conservative policy is one of the sections in recent decades that is creating that shitty situation as they get more ideologically extreme like with Phoenix Pay System or refusals to regulate the housing market and so on is completely lost on them because they just aren't getting a competing message.

steam_sig.png
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    While this transcends politics a bit these days, and not to distract from more important discussion....

HOW BOUT DEM RAPTORS???!!!

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I would like their fans to shut up and go home in an orderly and cordial fashion.

... is what I was thinking as the honking, cheering, screaming, and fireworks continued well past 3 am, practically outside my window (in that I live *very much* downtown).

All kidding aside, I'm not a sports fan, but I'm glad they won, and that the city will have something momentous to celebrate.

I did tune in for the final moments of the game, and it was tense. I can't imagine what it was like for people who'd been following it from the start, let alone going back all those years.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    edited June 2019
    On a more serious climate change note:

evgKiZh.jpg Lisa Raitt is the conservative MP for Milton, ON.

Ross McKitrick, the Financial Post and the CPC are going to get so many people killed.

Brolo on
  • psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    I mean, it was a stupid comment from her but I think she handled it really well, gave a proper retraction acknowledging the truth and has actually gone up in my opinion. Better then most.

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
    psyck0 wrote: »
    I mean, it was a stupid comment from her but I think she handled it really well, gave a proper retraction acknowledging the truth and has actually gone up in my opinion. Better then most.

I'm very concerned that she's reguritating CPC talking points in the first place, even when she personally thinks they're not true. In this case the backlash to that tweet from her constiuents was so strong that she took it down, since Halton is flooding along with the rest of Ontario. She has to backpedal in order to keep her job.

• TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    "Hey guys, I totes don't actually support this really stupid, unsubstantiated article. Which is why I posted about it recently".
    It definitely comes across as "I took it down because it backfired" more than anything.

TubularLuggage on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    "Hey guys, I totes don't actually support this really stupid, unsubstantiated article. Which is why I posted about it recently".
    It definitely comes across as "I took it down because it backfired" more than anything.

It's not "I'm sorry.". It's "I'm sorry I got in trouble."

• BlarghyBlarghy Registered User regular
    I'm not a conservative voter but, honestly, that read more like "I got a lot of push back on this, thought about it, and I realized that I don't actually want to defend the position I took." That may not be a full on mea culpa, but it seems far more thoughtful than you'd get from most politicians. Not going to vote conservative still, but my opinion of her did nudge up a bit.

It's a little better than "sorry I offended you" but really it's very far down the list of reasons to hate Raitt.

• FrostwoodFrostwood Registered User regular
    So this happened: https://www.cbc.ca/sports/basketball/nba/raptors-masai-ujiri-accused-assault-nba-final-1.5175577.

Considering that there is multiple videos of him having his credentials, plus a Warriors fan who witnessed the incident, I'm pretty sure it was an act of racism/power tripping.

There is also this video: https://streamable.com/z3iou

The look of shock on his face is heartbreaking.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Religious people will no longer threaten Quebec's secularity. (Also immigrants will need to start over their procedures from scratch, thanks to two laws that got hastily voted yesterday.)

I mean, we all know this won't apply to wedding rings, crucifix pendants, etc.

But it definitely will apply to hijabs. Because that's scary.

I'm extremely ashamed of my province today.

• mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Religious people will no longer threaten Quebec's secularity. (Also immigrants will need to start over their procedures from scratch, thanks to two laws that got hastily voted yesterday.)

It might be applied to crucifixes. Very few people wear them.

Somewhat happy I'm not working this week, the office is not going to be a happy place. Quite a few people got fucked by one or both of those laws.
    Can't say I would blame anyone there if they decided to move to Toronto. For that matter, if the company decide to relocate the office to Toronto, can't say I would not follow.

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Bill 21 also forbids anyone giving or receiving a state service with their face covered — largely seen as a measure targeting full-face Islamic veils.
    The idea that the bill is enforcing a dress code in order to protect secularism is bullshit, but I love that the bill can't even manage to stick close to that particular excuse and has a straight up 'screw you, Muslims' section.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    mrondeau wrote: »

Somewhat happy I'm not working this week, the office is not going to be a happy place. Quite a few people got fucked by one or both of those laws.
    Can't say I would blame anyone there if they decided to move to Toronto. For that matter, if the company decide to relocate the office to Toronto, can't say I would not follow.

i work for a Videogame QA testing company.

The immigration law will definitely fuck over a large number of employees, as we do both functional and localization QA testing, so a lot of the employees are in the process of getting their citizenship.

mrondeau wrote: »

i work for a Videogame QA testing company.

The immigration law will definitely fuck over a large number of employees, as we do both functional and localization QA testing, so a lot of the employees are in the process of getting their citizenship.

I work in a research lab that's in what is supposed to be a priority for the future economic development of the province. Guess Toronto is going to take Montréal's position in the area once foreign students stop staying around once they got their PhD, and we have more problems hiring foreigners.

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Well, I'm horrified but unsurprised, I suppose

My heartfelt sympathies to those affected by the bills, this is an atrocity you don't deserve

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
    Man, good luck to anyone moving to Toronto from Montreal, the rental market has gone crazy:

KEJ64Ha.png
    T30dE8d.png
    https://rentals.ca/national-rent-report

Vacancy rate is ~1.1%, landlords are renting out absolute garbage and people are lining up around the block to get in:

DHXoGxtl.jpg

https://www.blogto.com/real-estate-toronto/2019/02/carlyle-street/

The city desperately needs more subsidized housing and co-op development.

I'll have to find a source in English, but the straight xenophobia bill (aka 21) is already contested. Including an argument that dealing with religion is not a provincial power.
    The notwithstanding clause that Legault shamefully invoked does not apply to the division of power part of the Constitution.

I have no idea how strong that argument is, but that would be great.
    Also, we should really add a few amendments to the Constitution: one to remove the notwithstanding clause, the other to add a few insults to Legault. Also the Fords, Kenney, Bernier, and Scheer, because might as well while we are at it.

• monikermoniker Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    Bill 21 also forbids anyone giving or receiving a state service with their face covered — largely seen as a measure targeting full-face Islamic veils.
    The idea that the bill is enforcing a dress code in order to protect secularism is bullshit, but I love that the bill can't even manage to stick close to that particular excuse and has a straight up 'screw you, Muslims' section.

How long until that gets a carve out for roadside service in winter?

Brolo wrote: »
    Man, good luck to anyone moving to Toronto from Montreal, the rental market has gone crazy:
    Well, in a few years, it won't matter. We are moving in that direction. Down to 2% unoccupied this year, and rent is increasing.

This discussion has been closed.