As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DZC] Dropzone Commander 1.1 - Dropfleet Commander is Out!

191011121315»

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I know very little myself, but that does sound reasonable. I know you'll want additional drop assets and probably no additional Toulons. :P You can do pretty much whatever you want with the cruisers - About the only one I reliably hear is questionable is the St. Petersburg.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Frigates:

*Build as many New Orleans as you can
    *One more Toulon won’t hurt, that way your set for the command card that gives you free ships.
    *I’m a fan of Jakartas and an occasional Lima, Taipeis are not terrible, but you want to be ready to bring a group of 4-6.

Battlecruiser:
    *Avalon is hot as hell, I love that thing. I bought a mass production battlecruiser to build as a Perth so I could run two.

Cruisers:
    *I’m an advocate of bringing at least one troop ship (San Francisco).
    *Turret ships are “okay” under current rules, there was an official/unofficial errata used at Adepticon which gave them some pretty major buffs, and some of the rules introduced in that errata are in the BFE book so they have a chance of becoming official/official.
    *Under current rules I’d go San Fran/Berlin/Seattle but that’s personal choice. You may want to consider a Rio for the same reason I mentioned the Toulon above.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    So for Frigates maybe I go with 3 Toulon, 3 New Orleans, 3 Jakartas and 3 Lima? Or I could go 4 New Orleans and 2 Lima.

For cruisers, I'll have to give it some more thought. Maybe a Rio, another Seattle, and a San Fran... but for the 4th one I'm not sure. Is a light cruiser worth it, or if I was going to go Light Cruiser would it better to pick up an extra box just to have a couple of them for a squad?

Edit: oh, haha I totally forgot awhile ago I got an Athens during an event weekend (I would get another but I don't really have the money right now) So I do have that, so my last could be an Osaka to pair with it.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    I know 3 Limas is definitely too many. People talk about them with some regularity about whether you even want 2, so I would go with the latter proposal.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    1-2 Limas at most.

Definitely 4 New Orleans, in a set of 8 frigates I’d go 4 New Orleans/1 Toulon/2 Jakarta/1 Lima (edit: based on what you said you already had).

If you have an Athens definitely an Osaka to pair with it, you can’t field it otherwise due to minimum group sizes

Nobody on
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    So for my spread of 12 Frigates I'd have 6 New Orleans, 3 Toulon, 2 Jakarta and 1 Lima, and for Frigates either a Rio or a second Berlin, a second seattle or a second Rio, a San Fran, and an Osaka. 2 Seattles seems more versatile than 2 Rios, so the question is would I want 1 Rio to go with my Berlin, or 2 Berlins? But I'll already have the Avalon, so the question is if I want to go that laser heavy, or have some more guns to back up my Moscow.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Honestly, the question is more likely about how the numbers round out for list making.

• Options
    I've taken a look at the point and battlegroup system, but not having played the game myself it's hard to really grasp what's important points wise. Am I looking for round/even numbers, or to keep the overall numbers low? I mean the plan is for one of my extra cruisers to be a San Fran and the other an Osaka, most likely, so I have 2 slots to fill with some combination of Rio, Berlin, and Seattle, at least that's how I think it shakes out.

• Options
    You generally want to fill as many battleground as possible and spread SR in a way so that you can try to control the activation order of your ships.

Here’s an example list I’ve built:

Avalon 2 - 1244pts
    UCM - 6 launch assets

SR11 Vanguard battlegroup (227pts)
    1 x Avalon - 195pts - H
       + UCM Admiral (80pts, 5AV)
    1 x New Orleans - 32pts - L

1 x Perth - 195pts - H

SR7 Line battlegroup (175pts)
    1 x San Francisco - 111pts - M
    2 x New Orleans - 64pts - L

SR7 Line battlegroup (175pts)

SR6 Pathfinder battlegroup (195pts)
    2 x Kiev (exp.) - 130pts - L2
    1 x Kiev (exp.) - 65pts - L2

SR6 Pathfinder battlegroup (165pts)
    3 x Vancouver (exp.) - 165pts - L2
    dflist.com

• Options
    So something like this maybe?

UCM Fleet - 1513pts
    UCM - 6 launch assets

1 x Avalon - 195pts - H

SR11 Vanguard battlegroup (195pts)
    1 x Moscow - 163pts - H

SR7 Line battlegroup (196pts)
    1 x Seattle - 132pts - M

SR12 Line battlegroup (274pts)
    1 x Berlin - 105pts - M
    1 x Rio - 105pts - M

SR12 Pathfinder battlegroup (236pts)
    2 x Osaka - 172pts - M
    2 x Jakarta - 64pts - L

SR8 Pathfinder battlegroup (216pts)
    3 x Toulon - 105pts - L

SR6 Pathfinder battlegroup (169pts)
    1 x Lima - 37pts - L
    1 x Seattle - 132pts - M
    dflist.com

• Options
    edited June 2019
    So something like this maybe?

UCM Fleet - 1513pts
    UCM - 6 launch assets

1 x Avalon - 195pts - H

SR11 Vanguard battlegroup (195pts)
    1 x Moscow - 163pts - H

SR7 Line battlegroup (196pts)
    1 x Seattle - 132pts - M

SR12 Line battlegroup (274pts)
    1 x Berlin - 105pts - M
    1 x Rio - 105pts - M

SR12 Pathfinder battlegroup (236pts)
    2 x Osaka - 172pts - M
    2 x Jakarta - 64pts - L

SR8 Pathfinder battlegroup (216pts)
    3 x Toulon - 105pts - L

SR6 Pathfinder battlegroup (169pts)
    1 x Lima - 37pts - L
    1 x Seattle - 132pts - M
    dflist.com

Limas want to be in the battlegroup with something that shoots and may need to run non-standard orders. Seattles very rarely need to do anything other than standard orders. I'd swap it with the New Orleans in the Avalon's battlegroup.

Remove the Rio from the list, the main reason you have it is for the command card. This'll put you under 1500 pts by enough to get an admiral for command cards and priority in the ground combat and launch asset phases.

ALTERNATIVE: Drop the Toulons, move the Osakas to the same battlegroup as the Rio, and split off New Orleans to their own battlegroup.

I'd split the Jakartas into separate battlegroups so they can cover further.

I'd probably end up with something like this:

UCM example 2 - 1492pts
    UCM - 6 launch assets

SR11 Vanguard battlegroup (232pts)
    1 x Avalon - 195pts - H
       + UCM Commodore (20pts, 3AV)
    1 x Lima - 37pts - L

SR12 Vanguard battlegroup (227pts)
    1 x Moscow - 163pts - H

SR12 Line battlegroup (328pts)
    1 x Seattle - 132pts - M
    1 x Seattle - 132pts - M

SR15 Line battlegroup (277pts)
    1 x Rio - 105pts - M
    2 x Osaka - 172pts - M

SR8 Pathfinder battlegroup (201pts)
    1 x Berlin - 105pts - M
    1 x Jakarta - 32pts - L

SR8 Pathfinder battlegroup (207pts)
    1 x Jakarta - 32pts - L
    dflist.com

Nobody on
  • Options
    So for my last cruiser would you recommend building a Rio so I can swap between it and the three Toulons in some lists depending on what I'm trying to accomplish?

• Options
    So for my last cruiser would you recommend building a Rio so I can swap between it and the three Toulons in some lists depending on what I'm trying to accomplish?

Yeah, but generally you want both because the command card allows you to either bring in a Rio OR 3 Toulons. Generally always bringing in a Rio is considered the strong play but in some cases you might want the Toulons instead.

• Options
    Now I'm trying to decide what I should make with my 3 Scourge cruiser sprues and 1 scourge Frigate sprue. My current Scourge fleet looks like this

1x Basilisk
    1x Raiju
    1x Sphinx
    1x Wyvern
    1x Hydra
    2x Harpy
    3x Gargoyles
    3x Djinn

So I'm thinking one of them should be a Troopship, I don't know if I should reinforce my existing Frigate complements or if I should make something like Scyllas. Would it be worth making a couple of light cruisers out of the other two Cruiser sprues, or maybe make an Ifrit, or another Hydra and Sphinx/Wyvern?

• Options
    edited August 2021
    So, I have failed to build any of those things yet because I am terribly, terribly lazy and have a massive shame pile, and indeed I plan on buying some MORE shit I'll never build (I like the look of some of the new Scoruge and UCM stuff, but I think I might start up a modest PHR fleet) but I thought I'd beat this dead horse revive this old thread to ask a pointless fluff question

It kind of seems like the Battle of Vega was mostly the fault of Earth/the home systems, right? Like they call what happened a "betrayal" and call the people leaving "Abandonists" but... A. the mysterious AI ball was fucking right, and B. They're the ones who sent a fleet to stop people from leaving instead of, you know, keeping them home and preparing for an imminent attack.

Oh yeah and ask, I have like, one cruiser sprue and maybe a couple frigate sprues for the PHR, enough to build a small skirmish force, assuming I beef it up at some point what's a good place to start?

Lord_Asmodeus on
  • Options
    The abandonists fired first though, and up until the Scourge arrived there was no proof that the sphere was right.

The BTL carrier, two Medea, two Europa IMO

• Options
    Shitty humans are shitty! One would figure that even if fired upon first, if the people are leaving then just let them leave? A protracted engagement sounds bad for everything except pride.
    I haven't bought anything since the destroyers came out, but it's because I'm not a fan of how the UCM monitors look, or whatever the Lysendar-class are. I do plan to eventually get a Rome even if I too wind up in "never going to finish all this shit" land, but more than happy to wait until there's more than a single ship I'd want to purchase.

• Options
    Nobody wrote: »
    The abandonists fired first though, and up until the Scourge arrived there was no proof that the sphere was right.

The BTL carrier, two Medea, two Europa IMO

Yeah but AFAIK most of the "abandonists" were civilians and just... random citizens. Sending the fleet after them was a mistake, making it a confrontation where such an incident occurred was also a mistake. Even accounting the abandonists might have had some military in their group, they were just a random mish mash of people who took the sphere seriously and decided to hoof it, whereas Earth's fleet was an organized military force with a clear chain of command. I expect them to be more in control, and I don't expect everyone in a collection of civilians to be sensible or totally rational. And while yes, the sphere's claims hadn't been proven, I don't see how sending ships after them was going to actually help anything. Worst case scenario was what, it was lying and a bunch of humans and ships are now gone. That's bad. Is it worse than many of those things being gone because they died in a confrontation you instigated?

• Options
    I think if they had just taken civilian ships it would have been no harm, but they also took military vessels which made things more complicated.

The Rome is only kinda okay, the other ship you can make from that, the Venice, is amazing and fixes several bad UCM ships

• Options
    You're assuming I want to play the game, which is not the case. ;)
    The Rome is a very good looking ship, and does a great job unifying existing UCM designs. The Venice is neat, but the profile is bad. It's off in its own world and the "expansive comms array" feels integrated in a really strange way that lacks visual cohesion.

• Options
    Well I bit the bullet and ordered a PHR starter fleet so I have all those minis to consider. Will probably try to get started on the sprues I do have before it arrives.

But I'm still lost on the most important aspect of putting together a new fleet which is, of course, the paint scheme.

• Options
    PHR is wide open on color options and I’ve seen the full rainbow represented

• Options
    edited August 2021
    I was thinking of going with a Starsector Hegemony/14th Battlegroup theme

5s0bxazannor.png

don't know if I'll go with the brownish-red metallic color for the metal bits though.

Lord_Asmodeus on