As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Compromise

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited June 2019 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Compromise

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    Glorious GooGlorious Goo Registered User new member
    We can't ban him! The 7-12 year old dumbass demographic is too powerful on Twitch!

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    One of those streamers that at least lives up to their chosen moniker. What a shit-head.
    Dr. Disrespect of even basic human decency.

• Options
    MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    He's a real ham doctor.

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    Dr. Disrespect sounds like a Quail-Man villain.

Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Dr. Disrespect sounds like a Quail-Man villain.
    He dresses like one too!

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    I don't think that man's ever been to medical school.

• Options
    FTVFTV Registered User regular
    Dang, I guess the SJWs have finally turned penny arcade against comedy.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    FTV wrote: »

O_o

The guy literally broke the law and company policy by recording inside a bathroom. That is an excellent reason to ban someone!

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

O_o

The guy literally broke the law and company policy by recording inside a bathroom. That is an excellent reason to ban someone!

Not to mention that the footage showed him filming a child in the bathroom. He should be considering himself lucky that he's just being banned at the moment.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Quid wrote: »

O_o

Sure but pretending his character is not a character is exactly the same as pretending penny arcade’s jokes are endorsements of “rape culture”. The SJWs have won on this front.

FTV on
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Wow, I thought this was just some made up handle and some completely far-fetched example that was about a general policy or something. But (apart from the specific thing with the kid), he's an actual person and he actually did broadcast from a restroom (four different times) with regular people going in and out doing their business being caught on the stream.

Truth is stranger than fiction.

Groups who use the term "SJW" have almost universally swapped out their humor card for a second outrage card, so they can SLI their butthurt. I'm not sure they're the best arbiters of comedy.

Oh, wait, never mind, I am sure.

• Options
    dennis wrote: »
    Groups who use the term "SJW" have almost universally swapped out their humor card for a second outrage card, so they can SLI their butthurt. I'm not sure they're the best arbiters of comedy.

Nice ad hominem mixed with some sick identity politics.

• Options

Nice ad hominem mixed with some sick identity politics.

Sorry, I should have said the terms "SJW" or "identity politics." Thanks for the help.

• Options
    islingtonislington Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    wow... pretending his character is not a character? WTF kind of twisted logic is that... An actual person, had an actual film crew follow him into an Actual PUBLIC RESTROOM with a CHILD inside it. this has nothing to do with the "Character" he plays, its not a judgement on his taste or humor. Its a response to this actual persons lack of forethought and disregard for others privacy, end of story. Strip all of the names and affiliations away from the story, what the person did was outside of any definition of acceptable behavior.

islington on
  • Options
    Sorry, I should have said the terms "SJW" or "identity politics." Thanks for the help.

Keep reaching for those stars.

• Options
    islington wrote: »
    wow... pretending his character is not a character? WTF kind of twisted logic is that... An actual person, had an actual film crew follow him into an Actual PUBLIC RESTROOM with a CHILD inside it. this has nothing to do with the "Character" he plays, its not a judgement on his taste or humor. Its a response to this actual persons lack of forethought and disregard for others privacy, end of story. Strip all of the names and affiliations away from the story, what the person did was outside of any definition of acceptable behavior.

It was both mixed together. The bathroom crap was obviously wrong, though there’s no evidence to suggest some kind of horrific intent, but pretending he’s just been a legitimate real monster is EXACTLY what people did to Penny Arcade. Now they’re doing it.

• Options

It was both mixed together. The bathroom crap was obviously wrong, though there’s no evidence to suggest some kind of horrific intent, but pretending he’s just been a legitimate real monster is EXACTLY what people did to Penny Arcade. Now they’re doing it.

Who here (or in the comic) has said he's a "real monster"? He's a guy who recorded and broadcast people (including children) using the bathroom four different times. The action speaks for itself. There's no interpretation in which that's an okay thing to do. Doesn't mean you're Hitler, but there's plenty of bad behavior that would make people tell you to stay off their property because you're a fucking embarrassment to their business.

• Options
    edited June 2019

You go into a bathroom while filming, then yeah, you're a monster because you're intruding on people in a very intimate way. Not to mention that it doesn't take long to find out about his past behavior, either.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    You go into a bathroom while filming, then yeah, you're a monster because you're intruding on people in a very intimate way. Not to mention that it doesn't take long to find out about his past behavior, either.

There’s a number of internet posts also saying Penny Arcade has terrible behavior because of their jokes. Yay we’re all monsters and no one is happy anymore. Congrats.

FTV on
  • Options

There’s a number of internet posts also saying Penny Arcade has terrible behavior because of their jokes. Yay we’re all monsters and no one is happy anymore. Congrats.

There really is no point in engaging you on this. You're pretty firm in your mindset. Going to have to go with The Dude's approach on this one.

• Options

Or, you know, you can actually address the content of what's being said, instead of trying to make the argument that somehow, it's a bad thing when people call out bad conduct on anyone's part.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Or, you know, you can actually address the content of what's being said, instead of trying to make the argument that somehow, it's a bad thing when people call out bad conduct on anyone's part.

It’s clearly a bad thing when people confuse comedy with bad behavior. It means all words must then be taken seriously at all times and annihilates a fundamental component of human expression.

FTV on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    The thing is he filmed in a restroom like 4 times! Like it wasn't just one fuck up dude did it 4 times over. If they don't drop the hammer on him, god knows what some idiot follow up will do to get page views.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

It’s clearly a bad thing when people confuse comedy with bad behavior. It means all words must then be taken seriously at all times and annihilates a fundamental component of human expression.

No, it doesn't - what it means is that comedy, like any sort of human expression, can be bent to bad and abusive ends, either intentionally or not. As the sci-fi author John Scalzi put it, "the failure mode of 'clever' is 'asshole'."

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin

Thank you, it’s rare to have one’s achievements highlighted publicly in this way.

• Options
    islingtonislington Registered User regular
    edited June 2019

Your missing some crucial things here. I never said he was a horrible person, or a monster or anything even remotely like that. I said he demonstrated poor judgment, and disregarded others. De-platforming is exactly the right move in this instance, the comparison to PA's indiscretions in the past is tenuous at best. PA is largely their own entity, if they say or do something terrible, they pretty much affect themselves and their employees, what DD did brought negative attention to the platform as a whole, a platform that he doesn't own. Beyond that, PA ate a lot of shit for a couple years, and ultimately Mike ended up owning up to his mistakes, DD has a history of this shit. There is a world of difference here. I'm not saying drag him out in the street and knee-cap him, I'm saying he fucked up bad, and the idea that he should be de-platformed for it permanently is perfectly reasonable. Saying that people are anti-comedy, or pro censorship because they feel DD crossed a line that most would agree is practically radioactive is a bit silly and only makes sense if you apply motivated logic.

islington on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2019

Filming people including children using the bathroom without their consent is indeed the height of comedy.

Since you're so good at discerning what humor is I thought I should point out this is a form of humor usually classified as irony or sarcasm.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    No, it doesn't - what it means is that comedy, like any sort of human expression, can be bent to bad and abusive ends, either intentionally or not. As the sci-fi author John Scalzi put it, "the failure mode of 'clever' is 'asshole'."

Right ok let’s try this out then. You just used the word “asshole”. If I wanted to, I could write an article about what you really meant when you used that word, and paint you as anything I want. It doesn’t even matter that you were quoting someone so even my quote of your quote could then be used against me. This is actually something people do now in real life and it’s mind boggling.
    The moment you inch anywhere near comedy you’re going to give someone ammunition if they want to take you literally enough. So we can do that and progressively cleanse our speech until it’s completely gone or, maybe, we can try to be a little more honest about the intent of others?

• Options

Right ok let’s try this out then. You just used the word “asshole”. If I wanted to, I could write an article about what you really meant when you used that word, and paint you as anything I want. It doesn’t even matter that you were quoting someone so even my quote of your quote could then be used against me. This is actually something people do now in real life and it’s mind boggling.
    The moment you inch anywhere near comedy you’re going to give someone ammunition if they want to take you literally enough. So we can do that and progressively cleanse our speech until it’s completely gone or, maybe, we can try to be a little more honest about the intent of others?

Kurt Vonnegut said it best - "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Comedy is not an excuse to be a goose.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    "But I was just joking!" is the last refuge of the asshole when people tell him to GTFO. This hasn't changed because of any new wave progressivism.

Another thing that hasn't changed is people putting the blame on everyone else because, clearly, they must just be too sensitive.

dennis on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    I'd read an article about the word asshole. Hit me up with that biz

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    "But I was just joking!" is the last refuge of the asshole when people tell him to GTFO. This hasn't changed because of any new wave progressivism.

Another thing that hasn't changed is people putting them blame on everyone else because, clearly, they must just be too sensitive.

Is it impossible to be too sensitive? It would seem obvious that a person could in fact be too sensitive but is that’s what has changed? Have we all decided that sensitivity has no reasonable upper limit?

• Options
    I don't even know what we are defending here really. I mean he broke the law 4 times video taping in a restroom. Is it being an overly sensitive person to say "hey don't break the law video taping in a restroom?"

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Nobody who wants to be taken seriously uses "SJW" in a discussion.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Yeah i have literally no knowledge of this dude other than the event mentioned in the comic. I've never seen or in any way learned anything about his "comedy". His shtick could be the most "SJW" friendly, puppies and rainbows content but this one thing is enough to kick him to curb for being inconceivably dumb and intrusive.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I feel like I don't want to be filmed while I'm in the bathroom. Even as a joke.

So, I'm okay with someone who did that more than once by a lot being punished for it, to discourage that kind of behavior, both for him and others.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options

Another thing that hasn't changed is people putting them blame on everyone else because, clearly, they must just be too sensitive.

Is it impossible to be too sensitive? It would seem obvious that a person could in fact be too sensitive but is that’s what has changed? Have we all decided that sensitivity has no reasonable upper limit?

Oh look, another dodge. Here's the thing - freedom of speech does not mean freedom from the repercussions of speech. You can say what you like, but the thing is that people get to respond to it. All the "too sensitive" argument means is that you don't actually have an argument to people pointing out the problems they have with what was originally said, so you're just trying to dismiss it.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

As a matter of fact, I do think it's possible to be "too sensitive."

I do not think there is an excuse for people who film others going to the bathroom. There's no "too sensitive" about it. Dude is in the wrong and should actually be in jail imho, but my opinion isn't the law.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Honestly I'm sure the last thing Dr D wants is more publicity of this incident, because again he broke the law 4 times, and if it becomes too public the DA in the area can't really ignore that. Or someone who's privacy he violated.

But I heard its ok, his wife uses a restroom and that makes it ok

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    Anyone who thinks pushing for social justice is a bad thing is someone not to be acknowledged.

Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell