As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Painting Miniatures] What colour is the best colour to paint your miniatures?

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Purple
    Brainleech wrote: »

His post really makes me feel good about picking up contrasts for my Orks

Glad he tried a couple of skin tones in there as well

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Purple
    I really like that green rather than the general brighter green that comes from the Waagh, Warboss, Skarsnik progression.

Kinda want to see some yellow armor in contrast since that's what I'm hoping to hook my friend with.

italianranma on
    飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    And the other marker is done. Only varnish is missing

nf90mk9dkfbt.jpg

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Purple
    Pretty great overview of the contrast range for those that are interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiRS4tmXe0M

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    My local shop had sold out of contrast black already by the time I got there, but the rest of my list was still in. Substituted it for the darkest brown as closest available alternative.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Purple
    So far I'm liking how my UCM ships are turning out

But no two are the exact same shade of green >.>

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Purple
    Stopped into my LGS last night on the way home from work to grab a Ryza rust and they had the new rack up with all the contrast paints out.... except they weren't allowed to sell me any :rotate:

They were nice enough to set aside the paints I want so that I can grab them today on the way home from work. Super stoked to try these out tonight.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    PNVpApUl.jpg

First contrast try out. Pretty nice! Unsurprisingly, great on big uniform areas like the base but areas with lots of small details still need a lot of going back to clean up. Did a bit of dry brushing to bring out things like the scars as the darkest brown (cygor) had not been so great at leaving the raised areas lighter.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Purple
    That looks fantastic

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    It's stuff like these Underworlds scenic bases where it shines. So quick and easy, just a single coat per colour and nothing else done to it at all.

URPxKxml.jpg

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Purple
    Now I'm wondering how I can use these for my martian bases....

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Got 1 of each paint and 1 rattle can of grey seer and wraithbone.

Turns out the LGS managed to get a last minute order fulfilled and had 18 of each color.

I switched my work shift with someone so I go in later but was able to get the paint this morning but I don't get off til 8:30. Wish I could paint at work.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Oh, hey, you may have missed it today in all the Contrast hoopla but GW also released their new instant lava paint today. Called Mordant Earth, it’s a crackling technical paint like Agrellan Earth or Martian Ironearth, but it’s black. So that’s two or three steps saved at least.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Purple
    I am trying to paint a stripe in the same place on the top/bottom/side of this ship and it is causing me actual mental pain trying to visualize how to get it to line up on both sides. I don't know why,

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    A different, worse colour
    For those that follow Ashe Barker of GMG he did abut 7 videos showing off how the contrast paints work on different thing setc and than the last video was him painting a Nurgle guy from AoS and how he worked them up from the initial wash etc! Only drawback I’m hearing is they take twice as long to dry.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    w8WwzvIl.jpg

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    I need to find cool bases for my Nomad infinity army. Can't find anything on secret weapons that I like.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I bought the cards for the drakken underworld but not the models i feel in retrospect it was a mistake.
    Now i am in a debate about the 10 colors for 57 deal gw is running as i just don't k ow what base paints to get

• Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    I ordered se event exclusive cruiser. It's all your fault @ArcticLancer so I hope your happy.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Purple
    J wrote: »
    I ordered se event exclusive cruiser. It's all your fault @ArcticLancer so I hope your happy.
    Extremely~ I can't wait to see what you do with it. Which one did you get?

• Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Saratoga. Rule of cool and all that.

Free shipping in the UK always a plus.

J on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Purple
    So contrast are dark magic. I have painted more cultist this morning than I have for months. They are so easy to do.

h1mHRDdl.jpg

This about an hour/hour and a half with basing of work. I am using a celestra grey base on black primer because these cultist have been black primed for ages. It works wonders. I just paint out the colored regions like the flesh or the pink or the leather. Dry a bit, drop in contrast. And move on. Finish with the weapons and base. Its so easy.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Purple
    This might be a dumb question but I've heard conflicting information. Is Lahmian Medium good for making my own washes? (and if so, what sort of ratio works well?

Edit: Also I've got a cleaned up dropper from an old bottle of vitamin D I was thinking of using to better control how much water and medium I add to stuff.

Lord_Asmodeus on
  • Options
    Put together the running Space Marines hero model I had laying around to test out the orange on, I want to paint my Nomad army orange.

I fucked up the prime so hard. I don't know if it is because Phoenix is a heat nightmare right now or spraying in bursts was a bad idea but it went on too thick. Painted the orange anyway, just a test model.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    This might be a dumb question but I've heard conflicting information. Is Lahmian Medium good for making my own washes? (and if so, what sort of ratio works well?

Edit: Also I've got a cleaned up dropper from an old bottle of vitamin D I was thinking of using to better control how much water and medium I add to stuff.

Lahmian medium is more for glazes. It reduces the opacity without changing the flow or drying properties. You need something like Vallejo matte medium. Maybe also a drying retardant?

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Model thread!

Any advice for painting yellow

Im trying to paint a rusty yellow space truck but oof forgot how much yellow sucks

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Purple
    Model thread!

Im trying to paint a rusty yellow space truck but oof forgot how much yellow sucks

It will sound just kind of off but really the new contrast yellows are kind of creepy magic and I am not sure else how to describe them.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    I think I may have primed too close to the model when I used wraithbone. I haven't used a rattle can in a while.

• Options
    757mj6o6l483.jpeg

Might as well post the model

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Yellow is always a PITA but best to start with an off-white (cream) base - then you can either patiently layer up using thinned yellow paints or cheat and use the new GW Contrast yellows. OR cheat harder and use an airbrush. Basically, brushing on yellow is hard, find a way not to if you can.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    @Bluedude152 Have you considered Games Workshop new contrast paints in yellow of your choice?
    5ma3ppduhrhq.jpg
    ezh1ds8y2b5l.jpg

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    That looks good

Basically what I was thinking was keeping that rust color for the bottom half and doing yellow on top for the first model (im open to suggestions on that)

For the contrast, I guess my best bet would be to scrape off the rust I have already and do a base of white instead?

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    No need to scrape it off; a decent opaque (Vallejo Model Colour or Citadel Base) white or bone colour will go right over that easily enough.
    If you fancy trying for something other than pure flat yellow you can use a bit of sponge to apply the base colour first, building it up in random layers and leaving some of the rust showing through before applying your yellow top coat to get an aged/beaten effect.

• Options
    Ah so the yellow would get some of the brown tones then as well. Thats a good idea.

Well time to track down a Nazdreg yellow

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    Model thread!

Undercoat with bone/flesh colour. That's all I got. Does not help with the rusty effect though.

akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    Bah its gonna be at least a week no matter what

Maybe I should try a different scheme and save this for the second one

Maybe a light blue?

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Purple
    Scrolling through all the surface primers that Vallejo has, is there anything that anyone has seen that approximates the new contrast wraithbone base paint? Trying to find a less expensive way to prime that color than GW rattle cans.

I have white and grey Vallejo surface primer, the white is a huge pain in the ass and is very white, not a cream. The grey I think is closer to Grey Seer and isn't what I want either.

I just want an airbrush friendly primer that's close to wraithbone so I'm not having to prime and basecoat in two steps.

E - I saw Vallejo has a "skeleton bone" primer but it looks much darker than wraithbone judging by the swatches?

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Khraul wrote: »
    Scrolling through all the surface primers that Vallejo has, is there anything that anyone has seen that approximates the new contrast wraithbone base paint? Trying to find a less expensive way to prime that color than GW rattle cans.

I have white and grey Vallejo surface primer, the white is a huge pain in the ass and is very white, not a cream. The grey I think is closer to Grey Seer and isn't what I want either.

I just want an airbrush friendly primer that's close to wraithbone so I'm not having to prime and basecoat in two steps.

E - I saw Vallejo has a "skeleton bone" primer but it looks much darker than wraithbone judging by the swatches?

Skeleton bone is a pretty tan looking color.

• Options
    Purple
    honovere wrote: »

Lahmian medium is more for glazes. It reduces the opacity without changing the flow or drying properties. You need something like Vallejo matte medium. Maybe also a drying retardant?

Hmm well I'll probably resort to the good old fashioned water and dish-soap for now.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Used grey seer and then the black contrast paint for the cloth on one of my Tau for KT. Not too pleased with it.

E07cyc8.jpg
    W9Sbev0.jpg

I think the black pin wash I did (poorly) are taking away from the black contrast paint.

Besides the drone, stealthsuit, and useless shotgun fire warrior I pin washed I think I'm gonna leave the rest alone. They might be mono color but I like it and I've suddenly lost a lot of the desire to do the detail work.

I'm actually having a hard time wanting to paint at all which sucks because I just got all those paints.

I wanted to paint my Infinity models with some orange but the orange contrast paint looks so weird on both wraithbone and grey seer.

I've hit a wall as far as painting. Hopefully doing up this Ragnar primaris conversion will revitalize me.

Stragint on

This discussion has been closed.