As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Armored Core 4/For Answer - OUT NOW

Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
edited October 2008 in Games and Technology
It's out now. Go buy it to blow up things with cool robots

acfabanner1wq2.jpg

Quoting from here, some more info here.
Due to some conscientious ninjas, I was sent some scans of the latest Famitsu which contained an exclusive preview of the upcoming sequel to Armored Core 4. Entitled Armored Core for Answer, it utilizes the same game engine as Armored Core 4 but with some substantial modifications. For a start, each area will be around 20km square, they are going all-out to emphasize scale in relation to immense mobile fortresses. There will also be online co-op(!) and the series will finally feature playable mecha that are fully transformable.

The big thing for me is that From Software is hiring THREE major mecha designers to work on the game. The first is Shoji Kawamori, who was responsible for the transformable Valkyries in Macross and was instrumental in the creation of the design work for the older Armored Core games. Kawamori will be penning the NEXT mecha (basically the new futuristic AC's seen in AC4). Kazutaka Miyatake and Makoto Kobayashi will be designing the huge mobile fortresses. Both these latter gentleman are of special interest because Miyatake actually designed the SDF-1 from Macross and Kobayashi is a complete nut for complex bulbous machinery (his work on Dragon's Heaven is a personal favorite of mine, as it was relatively unfettered compared to his involvement in Zeta Gundam and the Venus Wars movie).

From the article it seems that both the PS3 and 360 versions will be released simultaneously (in Japan) in March of next year. Toshifumi Nabeshima will return as producer and I totally dig the funky logo.
Summary - Coming for 360 and PS3(in just Japan so far), online co-op, big name mecha designers, emphasis on scale, and motherfucking transformable ACs.

Also, it seems these giant mobile fortresses you have to destroy parts on the outside of it before being able to destroy the core. Armored Core: Shadow of the Colossus ?

Official Website

Scans from Famitsu:
0135a10d63gy4.th.jpg 0235a1f468bd6.th.jpg 0335a27a22hx2.th.jpg

0435a707f8tr8.th.jpg 0535a79aa2do2.th.jpg 0635a7f584nx8.th.jpg

0735a86824so2.jpg
Look at that fucking huge thing

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
Forever Zefiro on

• Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    119849593779335872119xs5.jpg
    Quoting from here, some more info here.
    Due to some conscientious ninjas, I was sent some scans of the latest Famitsu which contained an exclusive preview of the upcoming sequel to Armored Core 4. Entitled Armored Core for Answer, it utilizes the same game engine as Armored Core 4 but with some substantial modifications. For a start, each area will be around 20km square, they are going all-out to emphasize scale in relation to immense mobile fortresses. There will also be online co-op(!) and the series will finally feature playable mecha that are fully transformable.

The big thing for me is that From Software is hiring THREE major mecha designers to work on the game. The first is Shoji Kawamori, who was responsible for the transformable Valkyries in Macross and was instrumental in the creation of the design work for the older Armored Core games. Kawamori will be penning the NEXT mecha (basically the new futuristic AC's seen in AC4). Kazutaka Miyatake and Makoto Kobayashi will be designing the huge mobile fortresses. Both these latter gentleman are of special interest because Miyatake actually designed the SDF-1 from Macross and Kobayashi is a complete nut for complex bulbous machinery (his work on Dragon's Heaven is a personal favorite of mine, as it was relatively unfettered compared to his involvement in Zeta Gundam and the Venus Wars movie).

From the article it seems that both the PS3 and 360 versions will be released simultaneously (in Japan) in March of next year. Toshifumi Nabeshima will return as producer and I totally dig the funky logo.
    Summary - Coming for 360 and PS3(in just Japan so far), online co-op, big name mecha designers, emphasis on scale, and motherfucking transformable ACs.

Official Website

Sold. I wish they would make another Chromehounds as well. I loves me some mech games and From seem to be one of the only companies committed to the genre these days.

corin7 on
  • Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Dude, dude. This is awesome news. I personally loved the new direction that they took AC4 in, and this sounds like it'll be even more epic. Plus, Kawamori, Miyatake, and Kobayashi designing stuff together in one game? Yes please.

Dartboy on
  • Options
    CyborgZetaCyborgZeta Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    CyborgZeta on
    "Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than Hell itself...That is coffee." - Godot
  • Options
    sabyulsabyul Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    AC4 was awesome, I got overall rank SS. Online was a little ridiculous, but I enjoyed the almost puzzle game-like quality of building a machine perfectly set up for a mission S rank run.

The greatest part of AC4 was how much the game changed in Hard mode. I hope they keep this.

sabyul on
    http://www.frame-advantage.com - Specializing in high quality fighting game video content
  • Options
    SolSol Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    CyborgZeta wrote: »

:shock: that looks pretty crazy....

Sol on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    This is one of the single most bad ass things I have heard of all year.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    That is just so

radical

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    oh holy shit dude. this better be good. or there will be hell to pay.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    LogicReasonLogicReason Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I.. I just want this to come out stateside. Please?

LogicReason on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I wonder... I haven't played any AC past Nexus (played all the other up to it though)
    How much did it change? After getting used to using the shoulder buttons for everything from AC1 to AC3, I really couldn't force myself to sit down and relearn the dual stick set up even though I know it's better.

Also, does this mean that we can make our own Macross game (essentially)?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So how was AC 4? I always thought it looked awesome, but it got such shitty reviews all-around that I thought something must've gone horribly wrong with it.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I got AC4 sitting on my shelf.

Never finished.

Think I should get back to that once I am done with this new ME run I am currently on.

This should be out sometime stateside. All the other AC games have come out here. But unfortunately I can see it taking 9-12 months after Japanese release to translate though.

meh

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    CyborgZetaCyborgZeta Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Cherrn wrote: »
    So how was AC 4? I always thought it looked awesome, but it got such shitty reviews all-around that I thought something must've gone horribly wrong with it.
    The graphics and gameplay were a huge improvement from the previous games.

The only real downside to it was the story.

CyborgZeta on
    "Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than Hell itself...That is coffee." - Godot
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    That's quite some Engrish going on there.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    GatsuiokiGatsuioki Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Never been closer to smashing my damn controller than when doing the last mission, MArch Au Du Supplice, and Line of Defense (that motherfucker does NOT die); hard mode that is.

Gatsuioki on
    TDOT on Man vs Discovery Channel
    "Alright fuckers, I'm in charge now.

From here on, every week is Shark Week."
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008

Also, load times. They wouldn't bother so much but if you fail the mission it has the load the whole thing again. Gah can get very frustrating at times. Still a pretty great game that I need to finish eventually.

corin7 on
  • Options
    McSnugglesMcSnuggles Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Jesus Christ.

I need this game...now! As for AC4, I have been really thinking about getting it, but I want to know if it's worth it? Does anyone still play online?

McSnuggles on
    360 Gamertag: Mcsnuggles
    371610-1.png
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    corin7 wrote: »

Also, load times. They wouldn't bother so much but if you fail the mission it has the load the whole thing again. Gah can get very frustrating at times. Still a pretty great game that I need to finish eventually.
    A good majority of the missions were really fucking short, too.

I still rather liked it, though.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    AkiraAkira Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Shadow of the Colossus but with mechs would basically be my perfect game, and the (unbelievably awesome) trailer made it look to be something like that.

Akira on
    akira.gif
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    You know what would be awesome (so awesome, I don't see it happening): multiplayer where it's 8, 10, 20 vs. 1. A special multi map and game where it's everyone versus the dude in the giant, world-destroying mech. Can barely move but takes a dickload of damage and deals out a lot, too. It'd be fun, like with a 20 minute timer to see if you can take the big bastard down. Kinda like the Assault maps in Unreal Tournament. I would buy that.

Medium Dave on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    complex bulbous machinery

:D
    :winky:

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm loving that trailer

I'm glad to see it has brought some life to the thread

It looks so much more intense than the previous AC games, I can't wait

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    You know what would be awesome (so awesome, I don't see it happening): multiplayer where it's 8, 10, 20 vs. 1. A special multi map and game where it's everyone versus the dude in the giant, world-destroying mech. Can barely move but takes a dickload of damage and deals out a lot, too. It'd be fun, like with a 20 minute timer to see if you can take the big bastard down. Kinda like the Assault maps in Unreal Tournament. I would buy that.

You, sir, are a genius. That would indeed be awesomesauce.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    AlsephtAlsepht Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Wow, so excited about this. I saw it a few days ago and when I watched the trailer I immediately popped in the original and went for a spin in my old AC (it was pretty terrible). This looks great; so excited.

Alsepht on
  • Options
    sabyulsabyul Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    After watching that a couple times, it seems like they're really pushing for Overboost to be a bigger part of the game. Maybe these missions will have us chasing down fleeing targets or better yet running away from destroyers of worlds or whatever.

One of my main problems with AC4 was that the game was almost completely made up of surgical strike type missions, where you have a few mission-critical targets and going after anything else both added to your time and to your "ammo spent" count. I hope there are some really nice "go destroy lots of stuff" missions here, even if it just means spamming Ogoto ;)

sabyul on
    http://www.frame-advantage.com - Specializing in high quality fighting game video content
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    sabyul wrote: »
    After watching that a couple times, it seems like they're really pushing for Overboost to be a bigger part of the game. Maybe these missions will have us chasing down fleeing targets or better yet running away from destroyers of worlds or whatever.

One of my main problems with AC4 was that the game was almost completely made up of surgical strike type missions, where you have a few mission-critical targets and going after anything else both added to your time and to your "ammo spent" count. I hope there are some really nice "go destroy lots of stuff" missions here, even if it just means spamming Ogoto ;)

I agree...what would also be quite neat is perhaps some co-op action...I can just imagine going up against a huge flying fortress with another AC buddy, and like have our builds compliment each other...could take the game to new strategic heights! also I want more LAZERS *pew pew...wait whats a bigger sound then pew pew*

p.s. can't wait to try out the transforming mech feature...however i hope this doesn't hinder the customization of our AC's!

Dixon on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Dixon wrote: »
    also I want more LAZERS *pew pew...wait whats a bigger sound then pew pew*

ZOW ZOW!!

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    sabyul wrote: »

I did love me some of the last AC game, but this was my main complaint too. What happened to the "needs organic FCS to target organic life" missions that were longer that watching the LOTR series? The newer AC game I did enjoy, as said above though, it seems too much like a surgical strike without enough involving missions. I enjoyed the ones they did provide, I just wish there were more of them.

Here's to hoping they go for the longer missions. I will buy it just for Co-op regardless.

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So I rented the original (AC4). Holy shit... this is awesome. I figured that a couple of years since the last time I played AC3 and playing it on a new system/controller was enough to forget how to play (I was still stuck on using the shoulder buttons for rotation and looking up/down).

It's like going from a GTO to a Lotus.

Now to find a copy to purchase.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Dunno if this is resurrecting a dead thread or not, but has anyone else noticed that this is coming out in less then a month?! September 16 FTW!!

Peen on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Dunno if this is resurrecting a dead thread or not, but has anyone else noticed that this is coming out in less then a month?! September 16 FTW!!

Wait, is this actually coming to America? I thought it was Japan only?

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh it's coming:

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=72303

Not to pimp a retailer, but just to prove that it's real. And it will be mine. Oh yes, it will be mine.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Oh fuck yes, this is awesome. I had given up hope of ever seeing this game so this is wonderful news. I will also buy it, probably on or near day 1.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ErgandarErgandar Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hell yes

With the transformable ACs I must recreate the variable fighter from Macross.

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
  • Options
    ArvoArvo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm obsessed with AC, but am I the only one that doesn't like the transforming idea? That just doesn't seem to me like what AC is about. If its something simple like popping wings and flying then alright. But if its like transformers shifting then I'm just not sure.

I've always wanted to see them bring back a full fledged arena game like the 4 disc one that was on PS one. But this looks damn impressive to.

edit: I'm miss Nineball

Arvo on
    Vertro.png
    5090509oKRAv.png<<<Links to Armory
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    8 more days, I can hardly fucking wait. I saw a banner for it on the PA main page and it reminded me all about it.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The demo on the Jap PSN is pretty awesome. But also quite hard I keep running out of ammo, any tips?

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hey and it has co-op in it!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOT

*If you look at my post at the top of the page I wish for co-op...that was a few months ago to :P

Dixon on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Man I heard nothing but terrible things about AC4 and now I see people actually saying it was good?

I don't know what to think anymore

Of course it's kind of a moot point since the AC games have never really been my cup of tea (too much menu management and not enough gameplay or viable mech customization)

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Man I heard nothing but terrible things about AC4 and now I see people actually saying it was good?

I don't know what to think anymore

Of course it's kind of a moot point since the AC games have never really been my cup of tea (too much menu management and not enough gameplay or viable mech customization)

The game stripped out some major stuff, like the heat meter, and added some new major stuff, like individual boosters and weight balance.

Personally, I found it very fun, if at times a bit flawed, and found I had more room than before for creative mech designs.

yalborap on