As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fire Emblem] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Pairing your heroes to produce superior offspring still a thing?

Not in this one!
    ED! wrote: »
    Never played a Fire Emblem in my life but what can only be described as "infectious joy" that the Treehouse (?) presenters had for the game has me interested; that and the gameplay actually looked quite tactical (I had heard this series was little more than RPS-combat).

Someone lied to you.

They are very good turn-based strategy games (some better than others but across so many games that is to be expeteced). The weapon triangle is a single RPS mechanic that is part of the series. It's just that certain weapon types are weaker or stronger against others. But there are also more weapons and elements than the three in the triangle with varying other strengths and weaknesses.

Yep. Unit type matchups often matter a lot too - knights monster defense lets them take hits even with disadvantage when you need to hold a line. Units will have troublesome ranged weapons, there's weapons that invert the RPS matchups, etc.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    BTW, I believe I heard somewhere (now I'm forgetting where... Gamespot article?) that weapon triangle is gone for this one.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    BTW, I believe I heard somewhere (now I'm forgetting where... Gamespot article?) that weapon triangle is gone for this one.

Sort of? It sounds like its a skill learned for the weapons now.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

Hmm, interesting.. this sounds familiar, but I'm forgetting where.. I wanna say like New Mystery or something...

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I paired Corrin with Camilla.

Their daughter is a beast(literally and figuratively).

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Polaritie wrote: »

Yeah. We've seen that Sword proficiency eventually grants a unit the ability to equip Axe-Breaker. So, the weapon triangle is gone... but units might still be able to replicate it.

The way skills work, there's one slot for that character's Personal Skill, up to three for Class Skills (that are restricted by class, ie you can't Canto as a Thief, or Lockpick as a Cavalier), and up to five Proficiency Skills that you get from tutoring in and using various weapons (that you can freely equip).

Bows seem to be back to a flat range 2 (after SoV's 2-4), but Archers have Bowrange +1, and Combat Arts (which I'm not sure about, but maybe need to be equipped as Proficiency Skills?) can increase that range. We've seen that an Archer using Deadeye has a range of 3-6. But! It appears that every extra square of range incurs an Accuracy penalty.

Magic meanwhile looks like you get a flat number of uses per map instead of equipping Tomes and Staves. I'm not sure how characters learn magic, and if the spells will be unique to individuals like in SoV. This is very good in one respect: you won't have to worry about rare Tomes and Staves breaking anymore, so you can actually get some use out of them.

//

Also, for Canadians: Amazon.ca still has the Three Houses pre-order up for 20% off. (I went and checked the American and British sites, and they're full priced there. I'm not sure what's special about Canada. In this case.)

LordSolarMacharius on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I'm happy they're taking steps to making magic more economical.

It was one of the things I liked most about SoV.

• Options
    Kotaku has a short video of gameplay exploring the Monastery. In it, we see Byleth go from a D+ to a D rank in Reason, and in doing so he "Learned the Magic: Fire". So I guess that's how you get spells: train in Reason/Faith. (I actually remember now that one of the Monk class's skills was also Fire, and it said that if the unit already knew Fire then they got additional uses of it instead.)

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    One of the things I'm looking forward to the most is seeing the different designs for the various characters after the timeskip. I really hope they don't reveal those before release though, I'd prefer to see them for the first time in the game itself.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    What's the over under on guys growing moustaches?

I'll say three: the Cavaliers from each house. Ferdinand will go with an imperious Tom Selleck, Lorentz will try to be dashing with an Errol Flynn, and Sylvain will run-wild-on-you-brother with a Hulk Hogan handlebar.

• Options
    Actually here's a leaked image of Lorenz after the timeskip:
    c9y7j64o3w331.png

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Can I really not save after Chapter 27 before Endgame? Yeeeeeeeeesh.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Yeah I had kept everyone alive up until that point.

Then it was ‘okay, I know all the good endings from when I played through on easy, so whatever’ and I gave up, I think only Corrin ended up surviving, haha.

• Options
    Looks like mages finally get cool combat animations

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I legit cannot believe this is so close to coming out.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

And yet it still feels too far away.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

And yet it still feels too far away.

Thank goodness Judgment comes out Friday to keep me going until this comes out!

• Options
    Janson wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Yeah I had kept everyone alive up until that point.

Then it was ‘okay, I know all the good endings from when I played through on easy, so whatever’ and I gave up, I think only Corrin ended up surviving, haha.

I managed to get a few levels up due to one lucky Paralogue, but now it's all on them. I might wind up going on a suicide run like I did in Awakening.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    This is speculation on the politics of the three Fodlan nations, which I've been thinking about over the last few days. A bit is based on some small details from the leak, so I'll stick the last point behind spoilers.

foxz93ejrwdp.jpg
    • I don't think it's been confirmed, but I take it that the entirety of Fodlan was once united as one nation (The Adrestrian Empire).
    • The Holy Kingdom of Faerghus may have been the first to split. As we know, the area prides itself on its knights. I'd speculate that the north-west is historically a victim of raids from Sreng and so had a history of building tall castles and maintaining more of a war footing than the rest of the Empire. It may have also been the power centre for Nemesis' faction, pre-unification. Either way, the Imperial family would require a strong, trusted hand to lead it, and so a family member would have been given regional control. Over generations their power solidified and the area's military might allowed them to shift into being semi-autonomous, before officially breaking away. They name themselves a Holy Kingdom to add legitimacy, as their royal family is, just like their Adrestrian cousins, descended from Seiros.
    • The Leicester Alliance is based in the area that was formally an economic hub, where traders from overland to the east would come to buy and sell. From here, goods would flow into and out from the rest of the Empire and the Holy Kingdom. As such, the area became disproportionately wealthy to the rest of the continent, and ties with the eastern neighbour of Almyra grew. I'd also venture that Aegir, to the south, is also a reasonably prominent trading town. Much like the real world, where the wealthy Catalonia region is trying to secede from Spain, the eastern lords likely felt that their taxes going to the rest of the country was an unwarranted drain on them. This eventually led to the prominent personages deciding that the Empire had grown weak, and that a split might be possible. To tip the scales, the von Riegans then sealed a deal with Almyra for military support via marriage, and that support led to them being voted the head of the Leicester Alliance. This would have happened only a generation ago, and while it is nominally a more democratic nation they have yet to actually have a change of power from the von Riegans. Many see Claude as a natural successor, but their is a lot of tension as many others expect a new vote.
    • The von Aegir's may have had a chance to break away as part of the fledgling Leicester Alliance, but instead used that fact as leverage to force the Emperor to give them, or create the position of, Prime Minister. As we know that Brigid pays homage to Adrestria (rather than having been absorbed) and that Petra is attending the Officer's Academy as a show of fealty and to engender positive relations, I think this arrangement might be recent. As such, I speculate that after the Church of Seiros organised a peace with Leicester, Ferdinand's father organised a show of the Empire's strength, and attacked Brigid. The victory would have brought him much renown, and internally he would have a huge power block over the Emperor (who lost the Leicester region, and is seen as weak).
    • After the success of the Leicester Alliance's breakaway, most Almyrans would have gone home, but many would have stayed. They likely faced racism and xenophobia in most of Fodlan, and a large number spread throughout the continent similar to the Romani people in Europe. While some no-doubt turned to banditry, many are likely just trying to live. We know that Dimitri "has a great shadow" and that Dedue "owes Dimitri a great debt". Thani said that Dedue's people were bandits that killed the royal family, with Dimitri the only survivor, and that Dedue's people were killed in response. Only Dedue was spared, at the wishes of the young Dimitri. So I'd say Dedue is one of the Almyran diaspora, and also that while Prince Dimitri is the rightful ruler of Faerghus he has a regent or council of regents actually ruling until such time as he reaches his majority. My main speculation here is that Dedue's family did not murder Dimitri's, but were framed in order for the regents to take over. I'd also suggest that some of the villainous members of the Church of Seiros are the ones acting as regent, and the ones who actually acted out the murders.

• Options
    I did it. MILLIONS DEAD, but beaten. Six casualties: Leo, Felicia ( :( ), Niles, Kana, Peri, Gunter.

Mozu the MVP, Camilla the goddess.

Wound up just rushing down the middle line, and had everyone surrounding Corrin and my heavy hitters, then guarding the flanks when the respawns showed up.

Thank god I didn't have to kill the final boss' clone too.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Warlock82 on
  • Options
    Ohhhhhhhhh repair system!?!?!?!

Yessss. I am one of the haters of the regular durability system. But a repair system removes everything I don't like and probably works with this kinda game even better than the no durability at all system.

That seems like the perfect compromise between the two to make an all around better system.

• Options
    Ohhhhhhhhh repair system!?!?!?!

Yessss. I am one of the haters of the regular durability system. But a repair system removes everything I don't like and probably works with this kinda game even better than the no durability at all system.

That seems like the perfect compromise between the two to make an all around better system.

Yeah, this should definitely help encourage not hoarding good weapons this time around. It's not significantly different from just buying another copy of a weapon, but you'll have a better chance of being able to fix your legendary sword or what have you now. And it just saves a lot of hassle in tracking specific shops down, etc.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    More details, see twitter chain here:

Of note (these are the things that looked new to me):

(woooo Genealogy repair system)

Hang on... I'm fairly sure we already got to see Byleth's Sword during the E3 Treehouse. I believe it's been localized to Sword of the Creator.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Call it whatever you want. If I have to spend a day to repair it a tiny bit then I'm busting out Iron swords again.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    More details, see twitter chain here:

Of note (these are the things that looked new to me):

(woooo Genealogy repair system)

Hang on... I'm fairly sure we already got to see Byleth's Sword during the E3 Treehouse. I believe it's been localized to Sword of the Creator.

Yes it is. The bit about repairing by resting is new tho I think.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Here's the Serenes Forest article on today's Famitsu info dump:

https://serenesforest.net/2019/06/19/three-houses-4th-famitsu-article-nightcrawlers-tea-parties-offerings-saints/

Seems like I was right with my earlier prediction that whichever side you choose will control the monastery and you'll still use it as your home base after the time skip.

Maz- on
  • Options
    Wonder if that means the first battle after the timeskip is going to be a three-way battle for the Monastery.

• Options
    After all the gameplay details we have learned my house choice has switched from either eagles or deer to deer or lions.

I can for sure steal the 2 eagles characters I care about so no more need to worry there.

So now the questions become: how many characters can you actually steal and then of course whether Dmitri or Claude have a personality I like better.

Lions have the 2 pretty boys I would like to steal along with the 2 Eagles. But if 4 is too many to steal it could make me lean towards Lions just so I can have all my pretty characters in 1 army of beauty. But of course if I just like Claude way better as a bro I would be more likely to lean that way. I hope we get some time with them all before we have to pick.

• Options
    Speaking of poaching students - something else I've been wondering: even if you can get a handful of students from other houses (optionally), your roster, at least in the school phase, is incredibly small compared to previous FE games. Which means, of course, that permadeath hurts even more since you likely won't have many replacements lined up. Are there tons of other possible recruits we simply haven't seen so far? Do all the teachers join you during the school phase to alleviate that? Or is there maybe no permadeath at all during the school phase?

• Options
    edited June 2019
    On poaching students: it seems like, due to everyone having different hoops to jump through to recruit them, you won't have enough time to catch them all.

But, from a Eurogamer Spain video, the characters that you absolutely can't recruit (supposedly, my Spanish is terrible):
    Edelgard & Hubert
    Dimitri & Dedue
    Claude & ???

Edit: the ??? had been Marianne, but apparently someone made a mistake.

LordSolarMacharius on
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Maz- wrote: »
    Speaking of poaching students - something else I've been wondering: even if you can get a handful of students from other houses (optionally), your roster, at least in the school phase, is incredibly small compared to previous FE games. Which means, of course, that permadeath hurts even more since you likely won't have many replacements lined up. Are there tons of other possible recruits we simply haven't seen so far? Do all the teachers join you during the school phase to alleviate that? Or is there maybe no permadeath at all during the school phase?

Spoilers from leaks:
    Yes there's supposed to be a bunch of non-students you can recruit. (i.e. like Shura from Fates)

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    There's some pictures out for seven war-phase students' designs:
    sflqbgbnmlyn.jpg

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    I'm definitely in for Eagles, because Edelgard seems cool and I am down to be part of Fantasy Holy Roman Empire. I did spend a few weeks in Germany and Austria last month, which may have affected my judgment.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Ohhh.

I just saw the note from the article that combat arts cost durability.

That's cool and works well with the ability to repair weapons.

I like that a lot.

It also looks like there is A LOT in this game.

I really hope it ends up being like a Persona 5 sort of size where if you really dig into everything it has it will be like a ~150 hour experience. I would so much love that.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    Ohhh.

I just saw the note from the article that combat arts cost durability.

That's cool and works well with the ability to repair weapons.

I like that a lot.

It also looks like there is A LOT in this game.

I really hope it ends up being like a Persona 5 sort of size where if you really dig into everything it has it will be like a ~150 hour experience. I would so much love that.

I feel like it might be, since you at least have the three different routes which supposidely have different missions and story. So that's a lot of content right there. (I kinda assume there might be a Revelations style "pick all three houses" route too, maybe as DLC or after you beat the game or something)

• Options
    I guess I'm hoping more of the single playthrough length being potentially very long.

I wouldn't be playing through more than the 1 time personally.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    I assume it will be typical Fire Emblem length. Most tend to be around the same number of missions and such. Though based on what Treehouse showed I'm sure there are missions you flat out won't be able to do because of the time restrictions/character restrictions/"stroll cost" too

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Yea it just seems like between mission content is higher. Like the downtime you spend walking around talking to everyone could really increase your playtime. That's sorta the comparison to P5. You could playthrough much faster but between dungeons runs if you were the kind of person to not only try to do all side content you could but actually go check on what all the NPCs were doing and saying each day would get A LOT more content.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    Online version of the new Japanese Famitsu article, with some new screen shots. One thing that made me laugh pretty hard was the one "anonymous" comment in the help box, which I've seen translated:

"Many people are disappointed with the Empire. We should blow a new wind. How about asking someone new to accede to the throne?"

l_5d07a5151b69c.jpg

Responses:

“Edelgard is fine”
    “Ferdinand should”
    “Maybe the Empire should be ruined.”

Hmm... I wonder whoever it could be...

l_5d07a5154fa98.jpg

Gotta be honest, Ferdinand just went way up in my ranking of characters.

This discussion has been closed.