As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Any sufficiently advanced [tech] thread is indistinguishable from a magic thread

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    CW: child abuse/pedophilia

https://boingboing.net/2019/06/07/ars-technica-writer-peter-brig.html

well, shit

I have a lot of respect for Ars, but if they try to cover for him in any of this, I'm burning that shit to the ground.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I feel like ars isn't stupid enough to try and cover for something that heinous

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I don't think there's a publication in the world that would try and cover that one up

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Christ.
    ... the really horrific detail (ok one of them) that jumps out is that the FBI agent posed as the kid's mother and this was apparently totally believable, indicating there is really no bottom to the shitty parenting well.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Does anyone know if there's a website that will allow you to create a live updating stream? Like, I've seen live events where they took a Twitter hashtag and displayed tweets from that hashtag live during the event, about the event. Does anyone know if there's a site that will do something like that for you/help you set that up?

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I think I'm going to have to get a new phone soon. The Galaxy Note 8 that I have now has been a good phone overall, but because I use it while driving for Uber on the side, it's getting bad screen burn-in of the Uber Driver app and Google Maps, plus the charging port is starting to get a bit flaky in any position other than when I've got it in my car mount. I'll probably keep the Note 8 and use it only when I'm driving for Uber to save whatever new phone I get.

I just don't know what new phone to get.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Got some cool wireless headphones for my birthday, but apparently there's no way to use them and my old 3.5mm speakers at the same time without switching the default device each time??

How is there no "pretend I have a wire splitter" setting in windows

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    It may be because their wireless nature. When the headphones disconnect, Windows probably thinks they're gone and switches the output back to the detected device still present. What you should be able to do though is turn them on and connect them, then any program you open after they're connected should output to the headphones, right?

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I would be more concerned with the us government having my data than almost anyone else

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    As an immigrant I don't really have the luxury of denying the government my data. As such, data breaches don't generally mean much to me because the worst possible people already have it.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I just assume the government knows everything about me at all times

All of the big tech companies share data with the government

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Ok this is probably a dumb question, but I'm trying to increase my internet speeds. I have Comcast, which I know is probably part of the problem, but I have the "up to 150 MB/s" internet. I get like 30. I have a TP-Link Archer AC router, a Linksys modem that is suppose to be rated up to 400 mb/s and a extender for my basement. Even when I'm upstairs on my phone right next to the router I get like 45 MAX. Do you think I have a bottleneck somewhere, or is this just typical comcast "up to" speed stuff?

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Almost certainly just typical internet speed advertising lies. "Up to X" advertised speeds are always total bullshit. They only get away with it because you could hypothetically get those rates under ridiculous conditions like if there was no one else using the internet on that node, so they're technically not lying when they say "up to" and can't be sued for false advertisement.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Comcast is a cable internet connection right? 'cause I assume that's still listed as "up to xxx" because there's not enough bandwidth in your immediate area for everyone in it to get max speed. Is it like that all the time? Or just prime/daytime.

I've never personally had anything but DSL but I remember friends on cable hating how slow is was during prime hours, or feeling exceedingly lucky for once for growing up in a neighborhood of almost all seniors.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    oh does DSL not have that congestion slowdown problem? I assumed all internet connection methods ran into this.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    DSL's problems mainly have to do with distance. You lose speed dramatically depending on how far you are from the ISP's closest network node.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Ok this is probably a dumb question, but I'm trying to increase my internet speeds. I have Comcast, which I know is probably part of the problem, but I have the "up to 150 MB/s" internet. I get like 30. I have a TP-Link Archer AC router, a Linksys modem that is suppose to be rated up to 400 mb/s and a extender for my basement. Even when I'm upstairs on my phone right next to the router I get like 45 MAX. Do you think I have a bottleneck somewhere, or is this just typical comcast "up to" speed stuff?

It's either a bottleneck, something wrong with your cable line, or a capacity issue in your area. I would speed test with a direct ethernet connection to the modem with wifi turned off and see what kind of speed you get. If it's still under 75% of max, call Comcast and ask them to check their stats and see if they can see any red flags on your connection stats or known capacity issues in your area.

I actually work for a smaller cable/fiber/dsl internet provider now, and that's what I would do.

• Options
    Thats going to be hard, I think the only device we have that even has an ethernet connection is my PC. But maybe I'll lug it upstairs to try this

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Yeah, FWIW, i tend to actually get OVER Comcast's "up to" speeds when connected via Ethernet.

Download, anyway. Upload is typically a bit shy.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I've had that problem with comcast before where my speed was nowhere near what I was paying for, turned out that after some maintenance some account setting fell off, support flipped it back on when I called them, got my speed back.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I've had my ISP set the speed wrong in spot B, but correct in spot A. That was fun.

• Options
    Weaver wrote: »
    I've had that problem with comcast before where my speed was nowhere near what I was paying for, turned out that after some maintenance some account setting fell off, support flipped it back on when I called them, got my speed back.

Yeah I think I'm going to try hooking my pc directly into the modem to start, then a call to Comcast might be in order so help me God

• Options
    kilnbornkilnborn Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »

Yeah I think I'm going to try hooking my pc directly into the modem to start, then a call to Comcast might be in order so help me God

"Calls to Comcast" is the name of a great many songs that have been sung in the past 10 years, and all of them end in tears. I suspect that you will see your internet speeds decrease and your costs increase as a result.

• Options
    Last time I called Comcast, my Internet went up by 100 Mbps, my TV tier dropped to what we actually used, and my price dropped 43/month

I think the home security department gets different deals, and since we have that, we always have to go through them.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Not Comcast, but the last time we moved the website of our ISP had the instructions on how to change address online, but was missing the relevant entry fields. Then I got kicked out of the hotline twice. Then the employee in the physical shop got kicked out of the employee hotline on his first try after he was put on hold for 25 minutes. Second try then worked.

Currently I have to write and send a physical letter to my ISP to change some payment details, because again, the instructions how to do this online are on their website, but the button to access the relevant page is missing.

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    So my Airpods appear to be on their last legs after two years of faithful service. I cleaned them this morning and the left speaker has almost completely lost sound.

As such I am looking for a replacement. Can SE++ recommend a good pair of wireless bluetooth earbuds that would compare to my beloved Airpods?

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    45 mbps is suspiciously close to 802.11g throughput.

I’m not sure why that would happen though since basically everything in n compatible these days. I’d def check it with lan.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Yeah.

All the Comcast phone tech will do is send a "reset" packet to your modem to make sure it has the correct provisioning.

Your primary problem is that A) cable is a shared pipe and B) wi-fi sucks, just kinda in general.

On fiber, my desktop can do 980/980 on ethernet, phone gets about 100/20 if I'm in the room with the AP and like 50/15 in any other room.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Wifi is terrible. On wifi, one wall away from my AP, I can get audio teleconferencing just fine over the work VPN, but as soon as someone starts transmitting video it begins to suck.

Plug into my 100 megabit ethernet and it's fine. That's right, it's not gigabit because I'm using the same cables I've had for 15 years now and never bothered upgrading them as I've carted them from apartment to apartment 8-)

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Ended up going to Best Buy and dropped too much money on a pair of Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless earbuds. They already (unsurprisingly) sound better than the AirPods, and the fit is much nicer as well. My only tech concern is with the battery life, as they've only got four hours of playtime on a charge. The case is much bigger than the Airpods dental floss package as well, which is too bad because I was able to fit the Airpods charging case in my watch pocket when I was out and about.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    As a sidenote, this got me poking around and testing my wifi some, and it turns out I seem to have a significant difference between the 2.4 GHz and 5GHz throughput - looks like 2.4 is connecting as ac and 5 as n. Which makes things doubly curious because the 2.4 is a lot slower (seems to be connecting at g speeds), while the n is maxing out our cable connection, which is to be expected.

I'll have to look into my router settings, but maybe something similar is going on - do you have both network types? Can you test speed on one vs the other?

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Orca wrote: »
    Wifi is terrible. On wifi, one wall away from my AP, I can get audio teleconferencing just fine over the work VPN, but as soon as someone starts transmitting video it begins to suck.

Plug into my 100 megabit ethernet and it's fine. That's right, it's not gigabit because I'm using the same cables I've had for 15 years now and never bothered upgrading them as I've carted them from apartment to apartment 8-)

Yeah, my WiFi is definitely heavily affected by whether or not my roommate is streaming something in the living room. Last night with no one else home, I was able to get about 70Mbps down on my phone and about 200Mbps on my laptop from my bedroom, with the door closed.

This morning she's watching something on the living room TV and I get 14.6Mbps on my phone and 95 on my laptop.

jgeis on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    As a sidenote, this got me poking around and testing my wifi some, and it turns out I seem to have a significant difference between the 2.4 GHz and 5GHz throughput - looks like 2.4 is connecting as ac and 5 as n. Which makes things doubly curious because the 2.4 is a lot slower (seems to be connecting at g speeds), while the n is maxing out our cable connection, which is to be expected.

I'll have to look into my router settings, but maybe something similar is going on - do you have both network types? Can you test speed on one vs the other?

2.4 is older, so theres probably less use on 5mhz.

My wifi works very well for me overall, I've never really had issues. I guess downloads might be faster if I had direct wiring but the cable is at an awful place in the house.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Well tested stuff. Hooked up directly to the modem I get maybe 35-40 MB/s. Called and spoke to someone, had me go through all the normal stuff (power cycles and try resetting and all that jazz. Even had me use their speed test on both my wired PC connection and my phone. Maxed at 40 which was faster then any other speed test). She looked at it and got a tech on the line and they said they kept seeing a "grey" connection. It was explained to be that on their end Green is all good, Red is a problem, yellow is a possible problem, and grey means theres a connection issue. So a tech is coming tomorrow to check to see what the problem is. I'm willing to bet its an issue with their cable that was run not being good. I looked some stuff up and when Comcast has done these speed bumps in the past some places had cable laid out like 10+ years ago and they either are too old for higher speeds or just degrade over time.

So yeah, they said it'll be free as long as its not me. I'm just happy I'm not a crazy person.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    So my Airpods appear to be on their last legs after two years of faithful service. I cleaned them this morning and the left speaker has almost completely lost sound.

As such I am looking for a replacement. Can SE++ recommend a good pair of wireless bluetooth earbuds that would compare to my beloved Airpods?

I've recommended the Jabra Elite Active 65t's to a few people and everyone so far has seemed to like them
    Wirecutter has a full write-up here

• Options
    godmode wrote: »

I've recommended the Jabra Elite Active 65t's to a few people and everyone so far has seemed to like them
    Wirecutter has a full write-up here

Yeah, I saw a few good reviews for those when I was looking into what to buy. I ended up getting the Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless earbuds. They're pretty great so far.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Well tested stuff. Hooked up directly to the modem I get maybe 35-40 MB/s. Called and spoke to someone, had me go through all the normal stuff (power cycles and try resetting and all that jazz. Even had me use their speed test on both my wired PC connection and my phone. Maxed at 40 which was faster then any other speed test). She looked at it and got a tech on the line and they said they kept seeing a "grey" connection. It was explained to be that on their end Green is all good, Red is a problem, yellow is a possible problem, and grey means theres a connection issue. So a tech is coming tomorrow to check to see what the problem is. I'm willing to bet its an issue with their cable that was run not being good. I looked some stuff up and when Comcast has done these speed bumps in the past some places had cable laid out like 10+ years ago and they either are too old for higher speeds or just degrade over time.

So yeah, they said it'll be free as long as its not me. I'm just happy I'm not a crazy person.

yes, this does happen. A few years ago I had a house which had "old" lines and they had to rerun them to get any decent signal

anecdotally, I've had "xfinity" now at a few different places across the country and I've consistently gotten exactly or above advertised speed

but their phone support is extremely useless beyond the basic problems, luckily you have a basic problem

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Just ordered my case, power supply, and 500gb SSD!

It's happening!

This discussion has been closed.