As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hunt: Showdown] 1.0 pushed to PC early, LIVE NOW! Consoles on the 27th!

• WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Rise from your grave!

https://huntshowdown.com/news/hunt-performance-patch-coming-next-week
    If you've been following along as Hunt progresses through Early Access, you know we've been working hard behind the scenes to optimize, optimize, and optimize some more. Our goal continues to be improving the performance of the game and catering to an increasingly wider range of hardware over time and fix the issues that have been causing problems to the quality of your experience.

The first big step in that direction will be coming next week with the introduction of the test server running with Performance Patch 1, where you will be able to download and test the performance patch before we roll it out to everyone.

We have been focusing on a number of areas, primarily:

CPU optimizations (Hunt was CPU bound, which was a major limiting factor in many cases)
    Reducing the overall memory footprint of the game
    Addressing the stalls and stutters (during movement, ADS, and other in-game interactions)
    With this patch, the general smoothness and response of the game should increase and in many cases overall framerate should also increase. In addition, this patch should fix the freeze that occurred when players were fighting in the Stillwater compound, as well as address the missing vegetation issue at the start of the game.

We received a huge amount of feedback and helpful data from the community in this regard, and we would like to extend our thanks to all of you for your patience and feedback.

We know we've been a bit quiet lately. Originally our plan was to release a hotfix the week before this performance patch to introduce changes to our backend that will pave the way for improved stability and lessen the frequency of server restarts. But during testing some issues came up that required further tweaks (and then more testing), and we decided to include those fixes in the big patch. Between testing the hotfix and the patch and moving office to the other side of town, we've been putting all our efforts into making this happen as quickly as possible.

We will provide more details around playtimes on the test server early next week. Hope to see you there, Hunters!

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Rise from your grave!

https://huntshowdown.com/news/hunt-performance-patch-coming-next-week
    If you've been following along as Hunt progresses through Early Access, you know we've been working hard behind the scenes to optimize, optimize, and optimize some more. Our goal continues to be improving the performance of the game and catering to an increasingly wider range of hardware over time and fix the issues that have been causing problems to the quality of your experience.

The first big step in that direction will be coming next week with the introduction of the test server running with Performance Patch 1, where you will be able to download and test the performance patch before we roll it out to everyone.

We have been focusing on a number of areas, primarily:

CPU optimizations (Hunt was CPU bound, which was a major limiting factor in many cases)
    Reducing the overall memory footprint of the game
    Addressing the stalls and stutters (during movement, ADS, and other in-game interactions)
    With this patch, the general smoothness and response of the game should increase and in many cases overall framerate should also increase. In addition, this patch should fix the freeze that occurred when players were fighting in the Stillwater compound, as well as address the missing vegetation issue at the start of the game.

We received a huge amount of feedback and helpful data from the community in this regard, and we would like to extend our thanks to all of you for your patience and feedback.

We know we've been a bit quiet lately. Originally our plan was to release a hotfix the week before this performance patch to introduce changes to our backend that will pave the way for improved stability and lessen the frequency of server restarts. But during testing some issues came up that required further tweaks (and then more testing), and we decided to include those fixes in the big patch. Between testing the hotfix and the patch and moving office to the other side of town, we've been putting all our efforts into making this happen as quickly as possible.

We will provide more details around playtimes on the test server early next week. Hope to see you there, Hunters!

That's been an issue for me more than a few times in games that otherwise went pretty well, which was frustrating!

I continue to be kind of an open-field shooting liability but I've gotten much better at fighting in and around the various structure-heavy areas, at least! Would be delighted to link up with one of y'all once this patch goes live.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    So I am back from my vacation, the patch is live, and @Albino Bunny and I duoed a run yesterday. We became concerned that someone was going to wreck us if we tried to start up the Butcher, so we fled after tagging all the things, but it was pretty solid otherwise.

Various thoughts:
    • The new boss-area layouts are a real improvement from a defensive perspective. Fewer entrances and better sight-lines.
    • The one scoped gun I tried had far too small an FoV when scoped for it to be helpful.
    • All hunters having full health to start is great.
    • Although there's not really a diminished incentive to camp due to the economy changes, you feel less bad if you kill a boss and don't make it, especially on a bargain-bin hunter like I tend to gravitate towards.
    • Fanning the hammer gets amazing results, and I love it.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I played one random duo game on Saturday, but the improvements that I did notice were good. We didn't run into a single other player and were able to capture clues, Spider bounty, and extract easily. Overall the game is feeling better, but I think there's a really lax player count at around 2200 during peak. There's also the terrible matchmaking and load time prior to actually playing the game. 3-5 minutes matchmaking, 60-90 seconds loading the game, 10-20 seconds waiting for other players, then go! In comparison a game of Fortnite takes like 30-45 seconds to start after hitting the "Play" button. There's definitely a ton of optimization that needs to go into the game so that players don't have to occupy their time while finding and loading their next match.

I played one random duo game on Saturday, but the improvements that I did notice were good. We didn't run into a single other player and were able to capture clues, Spider bounty, and extract easily. Overall the game is feeling better, but I think there's a really lax player count at around 2200 during peak. There's also the terrible matchmaking and load time prior to actually playing the game. 3-5 minutes matchmaking, 60-90 seconds loading the game, 10-20 seconds waiting for other players, then go! In comparison a game of Fortnite takes like 30-45 seconds to start after hitting the "Play" button. There's definitely a ton of optimization that needs to go into the game so that players don't have to occupy their time while finding and loading their next match.

All of this remains true, but the load times felt (mostly) better than pre-patch while rolling with randos in the afternoon / evening Eastern US time, with one exception where it claimed the servers were full.

There are still a couple weird entry spots in boss zones (that one window near the front door of the Slaughterhouse you can hop through needs to go, much as I love it!) and I don't love the new "spawn Meatheads on clues," algorithm - seems excessively punishing in terms of wasted time - but this was a good patch overall.

I'd like a smaller or entirely-indoors map at some point, just to see what that does to the feel of the game, as well, but that's clearly a down-the-road thing.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

New Performance patch over the passed couple weeks with several hot fixes. Supposed to fix a ton of bugs, crashes, and network errors involved with the big content patch that is now on live servers.

They are discounting the game by 20% to celebrate all of their changes. Making the game $24 instead of $30.

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    They are doing a free weekend on Steam for anyone interested. Gave it a shot and while I'm digging the setting I don't think it's my kind of game.

Let me know if you want to do a round or two @Karoz ! It's much more fun with friends, can be frustrating solo.

I can be available for team-ups as well, especially if we've got new people trying things out.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I probably ought to play while everyone's new and bad.

I still think this games let down by how much they focus on harsh PVP combat over everything else that's actually a unique selling point.

I still think this games let down by how much they focus on harsh PVP combat over everything else that's actually a unique selling point.

The sprint-strafing and boss alert changes seem like steps in the right direction to me.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Agreed, but I'd prefer them balance out the stuff that they've been doing before adding new content. We should be getting a new special AI called a water devil soon.
    3zioxs6xfTMq-qP5SjgcYJqgqwSy4uR2PybkYXYta98.jpg?w=1024&s=4b8ced8da9979c997f7713ff03a778e6

Also new bosses and objectives are on the roadmap before the end of the year, so hopefully we get those soon too.

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    aside from being prime snipe locations, now the threat of tentacle rape should be enough to stay out of the water.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    After 5+ matches I think I've pretty much gotten the gist of things. Alas there just isn't enough content to keep me interested and I'm much more of a PvE player instead of a PvP, especially with guns. The shotguns were rather lovely though when hunters were getting in close range.

Still, it's got plenty of room to grow so maybe I'll pick it up one day.

m3jeywwlzssp.jpg

I got two headshots in two shots. Fear my (never replicable) marksmanship.

Oh shit, those new reward accolade cards look great.

Update 2.3 is live, including the new Water Devil AI, Ducks in water to alert nearby hunters, burn/rend changes, and various other bug fixes.
    Hunters,

Here are the details for update 2.3. Please note that this update is significantly larger than usual. We have made some changes that will allow us to deploy hotfixes in a much more efficient manner going forward. We apologise for any inconvenience caused by this.

Version: v0.375
    SteambuildID: 3055143
    Client patch size: ~11.5GB

Highlights

Water Devil – Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water…. this update introduces a new special AI that will make wading through the Louisiana swamps a bit more of a challenge.
    New consumables - Liquid Fire Bomb, Waxed Dynamite.
    Badges for Rank and Prestige – Badges have been added to correspond with different ranks and prestige levels which will be displayed on the Bloodline screen.
    Changes to Fire and Bleed Damage – Both fire and rending damage are less punishing, making it easier to stop them and also recover burning team-mates more reliably.
    Endless Rank-up – Upon reaching max Rank 100 in the Bloodline, players can now continue to progress and unlock additional money rewards instead of Prestiging.

No optimization in this patch, but some well appreciated changes. Would love another attempt at optimization and decreasing loading times to help jumping from round to round, but between this patch and the last patch this is all good stuff.

First game in a while saw me successfully avoid the water devils on the way through Catfish Grove to the first clue, my partner start and fail to finish a bad fight while I was stabbing my way through the armored around the clue, me picking off one of the guys shooting him and him, instead of doing something sane, running to the nearest wagons and getting himself killed.

Queue dramatic music.

I then repeatedly lost and got reacquired by the team that'd killed him, eventually getting one or both with thrown dynamite while they were standing in the grain silo near the Slaughterhouse with a lantern trying to figure out where I'd gone and escaping by going off the west edge of the map.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Hunt is on sale for Halloween for 25% off! Patches have been coming in frequently but still nothing new as far as content goes. Just fixing gun issues and performance.

• Lord_MordjaLord_Mordja Registered User regular
    So update 3.0 came out a few days ago and it is a doozy. In addition to a brand new map, it's changed player locomotion (less ADAD spam), added the ability to pick up weapons from slain Hunters, and icorporated skill-based matchmaking. There've also been a bunch of changes to progression, making it a little more forgiving and making it a lot harder to dig yourself into a financial hole you can't get out of. Now, everyone can recruit a free T1 hunter and levelling up your Bloodline gives you a free sample of every weapon and item unlocked. Furthermore, until rank 15 there's no permadeath on your dudes. The game also seems to run smoother than before on my rig so firefights feel much better.

If you're willing to take the risk on an Early Access game, now is a great time to jump in. Despite its unfinished state, Hunt is definitely my favourite multiplayer FPS right now.

edited November 2018
    Oh, I forgot to update my post after reading those notes. I do want to dig into some 2s this weekend while I have some time off and play around in the new changes.

Edit - https://steamcommunity.com/games/594650/announcements/detail/1712952601879844117

Some Patch Highlights:
    Hunt: Showdown’s new map—Lawson Delta—has gone into Beta!
    You'll be able to choose the map in the mission selection.

Skill-based matchmaking – With this update, we are introducing a new, skill-based matchmaking system. The new system is inspired by the Elo system used in chess, and heavily weights player vs player skill in populating matches to create a fairer experience.

Movement inertia - We are introducing a new movement system that adds acceleration and deceleration to the core movements of Hunters. This system will stop players from abusing the ADAD buttons to dodge bullets/melee attacks.

Anti Teaming - To prevent pre-lobby teaming, we have made various changes to the way that we group players into sessions.
    Weapon looting from dead Hunters - When getting downed or killed, Hunters now drop their weapon(s) on the ground. Other players can either pick up the dropped weapon(s) or exchange them for their currently equipped ones. Any looted weapons extracted from the mission are marked as contrabands and cannot be sold for money in the store.

NVIDIA Highlights - Hunt now supports NVIDIA Highlights, which will automatically capture a short video of your kills and deaths. Now you can show off awesome videos to your friends!

KoopahTroopah on
    New Patch in test server, introduces new Quick Play mode and a few other bug fixes+ gun changes.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/770720/announcements/detail/1702821402243492292
    Hunters,

Update 4.0 is now live on the Test servers. We wanted to start testing this update as quickly as possible so you can all try out the latest changes and Quickplay. You will experience some issues such as missing floors or walls (Check the known issues for more information), but do not worry, we will be fixing these problems with upcoming hotfixes!

Quickplay – With this update, we are introducing our first new game-mode, Quickplay. This is an alternate way to play Hunt designed for solo players only with a chance to earn free Hunters. Close the rifts and absorb the Wellspring’s energy in a race against time and other Hunters. It’s your only chance for salvation.

Challenges - This update introduces a variety of daily/weekly challenges, complete the challenges and receive in-game rewards. The challenges are available via the Bloodline Screen.

Gunplay changes - With this update we are introducing our first set of Quality of Life improvements to gunplay, this includes faster and normalized animation timings across the arsenal for weapon cycling, grenade throwing and aiming down sight after selecting a weapon.

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    I saw this vid since Hunt now offers free tier0 hunters, and Sam is was just fucking hilarious with the premise.

https://youtu.be/3vKXNSHiyfI

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
    Took a break from Stellaris for a bit over the weekend to try out the new map. It's interesting and way less water-laden than the original, which is mostly a positive change.

Looks like they banned the guy who decided it was appropriate to curse me out for clearing out of one of the clue areas instead of lurking there to camp, then teamkill me when I decided I'd rather extract than stick with him, so that's a plus too.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Patch 4.0 is live. Here are the official Notes:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/594650/announcements/detail/2797196840736434247
    Quickplay – With this update, we are introducing our first new game-mode, Quickplay. This is an alternate way to play Hunt designed for solo players only with a chance to earn free Hunters. Close the rifts and absorb the Wellspring’s energy in a race against time and other Hunters. It’s your only chance for salvation.

Challenges - This update introduces a variety of daily/weekly challenges, complete the challenges and receive in-game rewards. The challenges are available via the Bloodline Screen.

Gunplay changes - With this update, we are introducing our first set of Quality of Life improvements to gunplay, this includes faster and normalized animation timings across the arsenal for weapon cycling, grenade throwing and aiming down sight after selecting a weapon.

Patch 4.0 is live. Here are the official Notes:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/594650/announcements/detail/2797196840736434247

Gunplay changes - With this update, we are introducing our first set of Quality of Life improvements to gunplay, this includes faster and normalized animation timings across the arsenal for weapon cycling, grenade throwing and aiming down sight after selecting a weapon.

I really can't decide if Quickplay is a terrible idea or a brilliant one, from the description of how it's formatted. Very strange approach to King of the Hill, probably only made possible now that we can loot other hunters.

Did get in a weird thing with a partner during my new-map tryout the other day where he was really sure I should grab a dead guy's Sparks LRR and I was like "Okay but I suck with that gun." Discussion lasted all throughout banishing the spider we'd stolen from the poor dead guy.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

4.1 notes:

Quickplay
    Hunter outfits are now randomized after each round of Quickplay

Audio
    Changed the audio for the winning and losing animations in Quickplay

Mission
    Night time of day is now available for Lawson Delta and can be played in the random rotation
    Added image for random mission in Bounty Hunt mode

Fixed an issue that enabled players to join Quickplay games with their Bounty Hunt recruits
    Fixed an issue that allowed Hunters to complete the 'Kill Hunter" challenges with suicides
    Implemented a fix for some errors during matchmaking leading to "Matchmaking Failure" error messages
    Message for buying items that exceed the arsenal limit were incorrect
    Fixed an issue where the warning messages on unequiping weapons and tools were incorrect
    Fixed an issue that caused the 'Contraband Discard' warning message to not trigger when swapping items instead of manually unequipping them first
    Fixed a rare issue that caused Quickplay to become unwinnable (Hunter died on the same frame when closing the 4th rift)
    Fixed a bug that caused Decoys to not break Lanterns
    Fixed an issue that caused Quickplay K/D statistics to show 1 instead of the actual value
    Fixed an issue where the audio of the Nitro express reload was not attenuated
    Fixed an issue where the audio of fuse triggers were sometimes 2D instead of 3D

Performance Patch on Test Server. People are reporting pretty big increases on Reddit, some are over 20 FPS, completely eliminating stutters and random freezes.
    With this update, we have focused primarily on making sure performance is on par with earlier updates, as well as on hunting down and killing sources of stutters, frame drop, and spikes. With this update users should experience an overall smoother and more stable framerate, less memory consumption, and in some cases increased FPS.

We encourage users to experiment with their graphics options to see which settings work best for them. We will continue to optimize and push updates in the future.

(Available server regions on the test server are the following: Europe, US East, Asia, Oceania)

Happy Hunting!

Got back to this, finally, in the last week or so.

Immolator and Assassin: fun. Managed to somehow get one of the former to attack a guy mid-gunfight after it'd followed me for a while, which led to a won fight.

Fanning: Great. Old news, still great.

Whatever they did to make strafe-spamming not Matrix through bullets: Amazing.

This is in a pretty good place now!

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Tried the free weekend going on right now.

This feels like it started out as a totally different game centered around competitive PVE open map bounty hunt roaming, but during crunch time they decided to throw in a bunch of Battle Royale stuff to cash in on the craze.

There's just so many aspects vital to BR that don't work here. There's no proper risk/reward. There's nothing to hurry things along. The "scavenging" phase is longer and slower, but there's no thrill of finding better loot to keep it interesting. Players start the game on unequal footing. It's like a prototype PUBG before they figured out how to solve all these problems.

It honestly feels like it was meant to be a Thief/System Shock 2 type FPS/RPG/stealth game, complete with clunky combat that was forgiven because combat wasn't the point in those games, but it is the point in this final product. Heck, most of the monsters feel straight copied from Thief/SS2 (the zombies, the abomination from SS2, the fly-spitting shambler from Thief).

It just...everything seems like it takes twice as long as it needs to, and all the time and waiting games don't pay off.

The best thing I can say about it right now is the trait card art is fantastic. Very Lovecraft meets Stephen Gammel.

• MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    If they were to change anything, I think they could start at vastly reducing the banishment time. Like, 30-60 seconds instead of two minutes. Then don't give away the position of anyone carrying the bounty tokens. That would make it so only people who were nearby the boss location at the start of banishment have a shot at swiping the bounty. It would force everyone to hurry through the clues because having more clues means you'll be closer to the possible boss location, and someone who has 2-3 clues when banishment starts has a huge advantage over anyone with 0-1. And there's a big incentive to rush the boss because you might be able to make off with the bounty before anyone has enough clues to be close by when banishment starts.

Right now there's very little benefit to bother with what's supposed to be the main objective.

w2v3zzzkyio8.jpg

This game still has huge issues in a shitty meta game and the actual game mode not quite incentivising a good flow but when it comes together it's a delight.

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    I've been really enjoying my time in the game. It feels very... naturalistic? I frankly wouldn't want the game to hurry me along more than it already does, and I actually like that I can take a new hunter out into the bayou, hunt some clues, maybe come into conflict with some players, kill a bunch of monsters, and then bug out with experience without the big prize. Like that feels real and interesting to me. Although yes, it does feel like the long banishing time incentivizes the conflict with other players as the drive of the game, rather than fighting the monster at the end of the hunt, and that does seem backwards. On the whole I do wish the creatures were more of the direct threat, rather than something that's peppered into the world in order to drain you of resources and give away your position to the real threat of other players.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    MrBody wrote: »
    Tried the free weekend going on right now.

This feels like it started out as a totally different game centered around competitive PVE open map bounty hunt roaming, but during crunch time they decided to throw in a bunch of Battle Royale stuff to cash in on the craze.

There's just so many aspects vital to BR that don't work here. There's no proper risk/reward. There's nothing to hurry things along. The "scavenging" phase is longer and slower, but there's no thrill of finding better loot to keep it interesting. Players start the game on unequal footing. It's like a prototype PUBG before they figured out how to solve all these problems.

It honestly feels like it was meant to be a Thief/System Shock 2 type FPS/RPG/stealth game, complete with clunky combat that was forgiven because combat wasn't the point in those games, but it is the point in this final product. Heck, most of the monsters feel straight copied from Thief/SS2 (the zombies, the abomination from SS2, the fly-spitting shambler from Thief).

It just...everything seems like it takes twice as long as it needs to, and all the time and waiting games don't pay off.

The best thing I can say about it right now is the trait card art is fantastic. Very Lovecraft meets Stephen Gammel.

I've been grumbling about the PvP element since last year, but the game has grown on me. The scavenging is superficial because the game is balanced around kits before the game starts. Found items are mostly ammo and health that you will not need unless you've already been in a tussle. The goal is to collect money, not loot.

The permadeth, as much as I hate it, simultaneously creates more urgency while not being game breaking. Advanced players with long lived characters aren't exactly calling in airstrikes. If you are losing money faster than you can replace it, you need to up your gamesense. Its a social roguelike. The game just needs more interesting monsters.

The combat is so, so weighty and its great. Revolver Ocelot was right about revolvers.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    I just wish the perma death was well done and we didn't have the abysmal ass levelling system where players have to level into even having access to some basic tools like the Brass Knuckles.

Also they should really embrace the idea that the games tension comes from not knowing where or what people are doing (or if they're even still alive) and give out side contracts to each team (like clearing out X hives or killing Y things at Z location) to create noise and uncertainty.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I just experienced a first: we negotiated with an enemy duo. One player was a friendly Lvl 100, and we all played the game together, L4D style.

The bounty and remaining pair of players were all dead when we got there, but they let us have the tokens. That's southern hospitality!

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    Cantido wrote: »
    I just experienced a first: we negotiated with an enemy duo. One player was a friendly Lvl 100, and we all played the game together, L4D style.

The bounty and remaining pair of players were all dead when we got there, but they let us have the tokens. That's southern hospitality!

Had a couple of "You know what? I'm just gonna leave, you guys cool with that?" interactions before, but that's a new one.

kshu0oba7xnr.png