As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Terraria] Thread: Dig, Fight, Explore, Build!

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Years of waiting are over and 1.3 is finally out on both consoles (xbone got it after a month or so delay) and...

The console version is now top to bottom busted to such a degree I'm not sure it will ever recover. They rebuilt the entire game from the ground up to make it as much like the PC version as possible with no concern for whether PC systems, contols or UI would actually work on a console. Simple acts like crafting went from intuitive and straightforward to an arcane, annoying chore with an eyestrain inducingly tiny UI that is almost unreadable at couch distance and becomes utterly unusable in splitscreen.

Plus it's double-bethesda level buggy. To give you an idea of the severity of the bugs one of the most prevalent bugs is if you play online with someone the world you join will (permanently) overwrite your world, bye bye potential hundreds of hours. Or things like local co-op player 2's controls affecting player 1's menus, making crafting a physical impossibility.

A huge, heartbreakingly dissapointing mess. Terraria deserved better.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Jeez, did they just not test a damn thing?

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    If they did they chose to release before fixing things. Another bug is if you use build mode in the menu, items from your hotbar will randomly be permanently deleted (farewell chlorophyte pickaxe! Bye bye magic mirror!). Enemies spawn multiple copies in the same space so that zombie you fought is actually 5 zombies overlapping and takes ages to kill. Etc etc.

More than bugs though is the design choices. They removed zooming with the touchpad on ps4, which is about as easy and intuitive a control system as the game could have and now you have to pause and use triggers. And there's like a hundred little changes like that that seem to have no purpose or make the game measurably worse to play. It's all so senseless and just change for change's sake.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    I hope the Switch version won't have the same problems, but that seems unlikely if they're trying to consolidate all versions to be similar to PC.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Shimshai wrote: »
    I hope the Switch version won't have the same problems, but that seems unlikely if they're trying to consolidate all versions to be similar to PC.

I think the Switch version won't have the same problems because it will have the unique one of never being released.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Ianator wrote: »

And literally nobody cared

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    That isn't the sequel is it?

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    No, Terraria 2 is the sequel, Otherworld is treated like a spinoff.

I thought Otherworld looked interesting at least... I hope Terraria 2 is nearing release but it seems doubtful that we'll see it soon.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Terraria 2 will not be out this decade I'm sure

they've said less about it than they did about Otherworld and Otherworld is cancelled =P

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    companies continue to repeat the same mistake. hyped target audience, announce stuff they are thinking about with no real plan, have to disappoint people later.
    i still play terraria regularly with tmodloader and was surprised to see from that post above that they are working on another update so yay!

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    What dumbasses.

I meaned, I assumed Otherworld was vaporware but they really don't seem to know what they hell they are doing.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    I dunno what they were thinking, outsourcing a "lesser" sequel to some mystery team while simultaneously promising that a real sequel is coming eventually. You can do that kind of thing when you're Ubisoft, not a brand new indie studio. They should have consolidated their efforts into a single project years ago.

• Options
    I'm not surprised. Pipeworks seems utterly overwhelmed by just the task of bugfixing the console versions (it took them months to address the easily reproducable bugs that permanently destroyed your saves.) I can't see where they had space to work on a whole other game as well.

The console versions are still a total mess and their response seems to be "get used to it" rather than actually fixing things like the unusable UI. Bleh.

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    In more uplifting news:Block Swapping is coming to 1.3.6!

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    Ianator wrote: »
    In more uplifting news:Block Swapping is coming to 1.3.6!

That’s lame. In my day we had to walk uphill both ways in molten lava with carpool tunnel HOV lane syndrome just to make a house look better than it previously was. I won’t stand for this disneyfication of Terraria for youngsters that newly discover the game. Truly, the world is at an end.

Also, release the goddamned Switch version already.

• Options
    (In other words, that looks like a cool feature.)

• Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    We have received a gift from E3, a trailer for version 1.3.6 1.4!

https://youtu.be/H77Zfzy4LWw

Apparently 1.3.6 got so big they went "fuck it" and made their current work 1.4, which I can't blame them for. I really like the new creation screens that you can see at 0:19, and I can't wait to die over and over in Master Mode.

• Options
    I just uninstalled the game today. Looks like I'll fire it back up.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I like the wind effects.

• Options
    The kite flying is a nice touch. Makes me wonder if there's going to be a flying mount or two that will use the wind. Maybe you can fly with the umbrella.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    The mini-Golf is cool...my base of operations will definitely have a little course.

I wonder how soon in 2019 we'll get it.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    So I fired up Noita today, and it's a really fun game if you really enjoy Terraria's combat + spell system.

In this one you can customize your wands with spells to make some crazy combinations, and the physics system makes for some really fun battles.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    So I fired up Noita today, and it's a really fun game if you really enjoy Terraria's combat + spell system.

In this one you can customize your wands with spells to make some crazy combinations, and the physics system makes for some really fun battles.

Trailers looked super pretty to me. I'm waiting for a Switch version. I hope there will be one.

Drez on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    I had no idea that 1) It had been released (in early access) and 2) I had already bought it!

It was a nice suprise end to my Sunday for sure.

• Options
  • Options
    I wish they'd get on a new game

I love terraria, but I've played it over 400 hours and I'm finished

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Only 400 hours? Lightweight.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

I have a feeling some of what they're throwing into 1.4 are ideas they have for a sequel that they're not sure are going to work so they test them in Terraria and then decide to just throw it into 1.4 if it works.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Xaquin wrote: »

I have a feeling some of what they're throwing into 1.4 are ideas they have for a sequel that they're not sure are going to work so they test them in Terraria and then decide to just throw it into 1.4 if it works.

I hope so!

• Options
  • Options
    I hope the Switch update comes fast.

• Options
    Changelog ahoy

We're nearly there, lads, lasses, and whatever would be a good l word for those that don't fall under the first two.

• Options
    Update is live!

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    This game is gorgeous now!

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Do you guys know of any mods that massively overhauls or simplifies how crafting is?

I always liked Terraria but keeping track of materials storage and recipes gets annoying.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    That changelog is something else; 1700 lines.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Took em down.

"We are experiencing technical difficulties amongst extremely high traffic"

Thats one hell of a change log.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Do you guys know of any mods that massively overhauls or simplifies how crafting is?

I always liked Terraria but keeping track of materials storage and recipes gets annoying.

The Magic Storage mod can do what you're looking for. Stuff everything into one giant container, and craft from within the same interface.

Keep in mind that mods aren't updated to 1.4 yet.

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Took em down.

"We are experiencing technical difficulties amongst extremely high traffic"

Thats one hell of a change log.

Someone mirrored it on Pastebin.