As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Outer Wilds - Space Exploration, 22 Minutes At A Time

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    My one complaint about the game is that Ash Twin puzzle you have to do near the end. I never would have figured it out on my own.

Other than that it was all pretty great. The atmosphere in particular was just perfectly done in every instance. They designed their asses off making this game.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    My dumb nitpicky question about the world building is
    how did they keep the sand out of the sunless city?

I can make up explanations (maybe it was sealed off and seal broke, or maybe the geology of the twins has shifted in the hundreds of thousands of years since people lived there) but I would've liked to find something talking about it

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Okay I played for a bit last night and the first big "Oh christ this is rad" moment hit me and I am extremely excited to play a shit ton of this over my 3 day weekend.

Brittle Hollow
    I found the crashed ship and then worked my way down and found the temporary shelter the survivors made and then the actual big city and the civilization they built and HOLY SHIT THAT WAS SO RAD

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular

I can make up explanations (maybe it was sealed off and seal broke, or maybe the geology of the twins has shifted in the hundreds of thousands of years since people lived there) but I would've liked to find something talking about it
    the problem with any of the degradations of the civilization is that there's no one to talk about it/record it. you can just extrapolate like you are

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Oh my god this game. Ending spoilers:
    And there was light...

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    This is either thinking too much about the mechanics of time travel or I misunderstood something, but (full spoilers)
    So the Ash Twin Project was created to have an infinite number of random chances to catch the Eye with the probe, and at the Southern Observatory it says it found it on launch 9500 or something. But I'm linked to the cycle and I didn't die 9000 times, so where did the other loops come from? Unless I got distracted by marshmallows and hide and seek for 22 minutes thousands of times before going up to get the launch codes...

Coinage on
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Coinage wrote: »
    This is either thinking too much about the mechanics of time travel or I misunderstood something, but (full spoilers)
    So the Ash Twin Project was created to have an infinite number of random chances to catch the Eye with the probe, and at the Southern Observatory it says it found it on launch 9500 or something. But I'm linked to the cycle and I didn't die 9000 times, so where did the other loops come from? Unless I got distracted by marshmallows and hide and seek for 22 minutes thousands of times before going up to get the launch codes...

Full spoilers
    If you start a new game, you can see the probe launching before you ever find the statue and start looping. The probe loop automatically started when the supernova "first" occurred and turned on the failsafe of the Ash Twin Project, but for many of those loops you weren't necessarily synched up with it; maybe you woke up later, maybe you didn't see the statue, maybe some highly specific thing needs to occur for the statue to do its magic, I dunno. Once you link with the statue, you begin to loop just as the probe does, but the probe has seen far more loops than you.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    This is either thinking too much about the mechanics of time travel or I misunderstood something, but
    So the Ash Twin Project was created to have an infinite number of chances to randomly catch the Eye with the probe, and at the Southern Observatory it says it found it on launch 9500 or something. But I'm linked to the cycle and I didn't die 9000 times, so where did the other loops come from? Unless I got distracted by marshmallows and hide and seek for 22 minutes thousands of times before going up to get the launch codes...
    When the sun went supernova that triggered the project to start and the thing to start firing probes. The time loop only happens for the probe data until it finds the eye, at which point the statues get activated so a living being can act upon that data. This is where we and whatstheirface get sucked into the process.

The 9000 loops before then happened outside of time from our perspective.

Aistan on
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular

The presence of doors leading to every entrance to the city implied to me that they were sealed off to the outside during the sand falling periods, so the sand couldn't get into the city.

But over time the geology has clearly changed, which is why there's sand pouring in through holes in walls and ceilings. They would've blocked those off as they appeared when they were still alive, but the place has been abandoned for so long that it's just broken down in tonnes of places.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »

The presence of doors leading to every entrance to the city implied to me that they were sealed off to the outside during the sand falling periods, so the sand couldn't get into the city.

But over time the geology has clearly changed, which is why there's sand pouring in through holes in walls and ceilings. They would've blocked those off as they appeared when they were still alive, but the place has been abandoned for so long that it's just broken down in tonnes of places.
    Also everything is getting worse right at the end. It's not like Brittle hollow keeps collapsing and rebuilding itself over the eons between when it was settled and you go explore it. Also how does the Lantern recharge?

I try not to think of the gameplay elements too hard in relation to the history of the game.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Could someone tell me if I am making the wrong guess here in Brittle Hollow
    I'm at the Tower of Quantum Knowledge and there is a path to the southern observatory with those grav-path/launcher things. One is pointed down and connected to nothing while the other is pointed up at the crust

The other side of the path is too far to just hover over and they don't connect

My theory is I have to wait for the section of the crust that the upper grav thing is pointed at to fall off/get hit by a comet and then it will leave me with open air so I can loop up and hover over to the other path

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    HA well my question got answered
    The crust did cave in, but it was the section I was standing on rather than where I wanted

So that ain't happening

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Could someone tell me if I am making the wrong guess here in Brittle Hollow
    I'm at the Tower of Quantum Knowledge and there is a path to the southern observatory with those grav-path/launcher things. One is pointed down and connected to nothing while the other is pointed up at the crust

The other side of the path is too far to just hover over and they don't connect

My theory is I have to wait for the section of the crust that the upper grav thing is pointed at to fall off/get hit by a comet and then it will leave me with open air so I can loop up and hover over to the other path
    I believe you need to get there early enough in a cycle that there are still some broken-but-usable grav things below where you get launched to. You then hav eto jet over into one and it'll pull you onto its platform

then you can keep hopping between platforms to get to the observatory

• Options
    I think the easiest way to get to the Southern Observatory is
    land by the gravity cannon ASAP, there's a sign for it and you just have to hop on a few platforms and transport things
    Of course that didn't stop me from falling like 10 times...

• Options
    I think the easiest way to get to the Southern Observatory is
    land by the gravity cannon ASAP, there's a sign for it and you just have to hop on a few platforms and transport things
    Of course that didn't stop me from falling like 10 times...

Tips they don't want you to know!
    About halfway through the cycle when there are plenty of holes in the crust I just flew my ship up into the southern glacier, got it wedged right near the entrance to the observatory then exited real fast before the ship could fall and just jetted right to the end.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Just saw this random quote on Xbox

"like Majora's Mask, except I keep crashing into the moon instead of vice verse"

• Options
    I just found out there's an incredible joke ending
    try using the black hole at the high energy lab to create 2 scout probes

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    I just found out there's an incredible joke ending
    try using the black hole at the high energy lab to create 2 scout probes

The current Any% speedrun goes for the main ending.

This is a prime opportunity for someone to hold a world record for a few minutes (until an actual speedrunner comes along and beats it).

broken image link
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I saw the credits due to an unfortunate geyser mishap in the early game. I just happened to see the name Masi Oka. Sure enough, it’s that Masi Oka, Hiro Nakamura himself.

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Motherfucker. Fucked up twice in the final run. Waiting for the first thing to happen is the worst part but that music that starts swelling as you're doing thing, I'm so excited to finish it!

• Options
    A bit stuck on figuring out how to access the black hole forge. I can send it up from the Meltwater disctrict, but the elevator is broken. I’m going to give it a rest and try and get in the observatory.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    A bit stuck on figuring out how to access the black hole forge. I can send it up from the Meltwater disctrict, but the elevator is broken. I’m going to give it a rest and try and get in the observatory.

I honestly never figured out the "right" way to do it
    I just found a gap in the buildings that was almost big enough to cram my ship through and then just kept pushing until the collision detection gave up

• Options
    Black hole forge
    Do you know what the square spiral on the ceiling is?
    You can get a lead on what it is somewhere below you.
    Jump into the black hole and explore White Hole Station.
    The spiral thing is a teleportation exit.
    The entrance is on Ash Twin.

broken image link
  • Options
    Black hole forge
    Do you know what the square spiral on the ceiling is?
    You can get a lead on what it is somewhere below you.
    Jump into the black hole and explore White Hole Station.
    The spiral thing is a teleportation exit.
    The entrance is on Ash Twin.

...oh. right yeah that makes sense

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Ok, getting real sick of Dark Bramble
    Is there any proper way of avoiding the anglerfish, other than just inching past them or blasting past at full speed? I have zero accuracy with steering with either of these methods, so I always end up hitting something or crawling to a near stop before I reach the next portal

• Options
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Ok, getting real sick of Dark Bramble
    Is there any proper way of avoiding the anglerfish, other than just inching past them or blasting past at full speed? I have zero accuracy with steering with either of these methods, so I always end up hitting something or crawling to a near stop before I reach the next portal

Most of them can be avoided completely, except for those three.
    Use probes to determine whether a light is a fish or a node thing.

Or...
    If you know exactly where to go, you can ignore all the unimportant lights entirely.
    Your signalscope can point the way.

Speedrun strats for those three:
    You can get a speed boost by using the eject button.

Make sure you know where you're going though, you can't really put that ship back together.

broken image link
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Beat it last night, loved it.

Easily my favorite game of the year and I think it might be in my top 10. Just lovely.

A few puzzles were a little rough to figure out on my own (so I didn't) and the execution at the end was more annoying than cool (wait then speed then slow...) but what a fantastic experience.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Beat it last night, loved it.

Easily my favorite game of the year and I think it might be in my top 10. Just lovely.

A few puzzles were a little rough to figure out on my own (so I didn't) and the execution at the end was more annoying than cool (wait then speed then slow...) but what a fantastic experience.

Yea the overall experience made up for some quibbles I had, mostly with the dark bramble. I think they just need a peaceful mode button in the options that turns off the aggression of the angler fish if people get frustrated.

I think they got so good at the game over the years of development they forgot what new players would experience, or didn't have enough outside testing.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    Haven't been to Bramble or the Twins yet, I'm trying to mostly clear the big planets before I move on. Did all I could find/access on Giant, and I'm guessing I'm more than halfway done with Brittle Hollow. That plus the homeworld, the moon, and some of the smaller orbiting pieces are all I've done.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Making my way through this now, it rules. There's something oddly cosy about jumping back in to your ship, hanging up your suit and checking the ship log before setting off again.

I also had a really cool moment with regards to the end of a loop

Dunno how big a spoiler this is
    I was on Giant's Deep and decided to fling my ship into a storm for the heck of it, only for it to fling me up into space... where I was immediately met by the red sun for the first time. I whiplashed from "WOO YEAH" to "oh... oh no" very quickly.

• Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Making my way through this now, it rules. There's something oddly cosy about jumping back in to your ship, hanging up your suit and checking the ship log before setting off again.

I also had a really cool moment with regards to the end of a loop

Dunno how big a spoiler this is
    I was on Giant's Deep and decided to fling my ship into a storm for the heck of it, only for it to fling me up into space... where I was immediately met by the red sun for the first time. I whiplashed from "WOO YEAH" to "oh... oh no" very quickly.

When I first started playing
    I survived all the way to the end of the loop knowing nothing about what was to come or the looping element. I was vaguely aware of the sun and something seeming different but dismissed it right until I was on Brittle Hollow and some super neat and almost soothing music kicked in and I stopped to admire the stars. Then I noticed the sun and remarked, wow that looks like it’s a red giant now, cool it’s almost like it’s following a starts lifecycle... oh shit. Boom.

Blackhawk1313 on
  • Options
    Finished this last night. That ending was beautiful.

What a fantastic game.

• Options
    Finished this last night. That ending was beautiful.

What a fantastic game.

I was torn. It was the perfect amount of game, in what there was to do and how long it took to do it, but at the same time it wasn't nearly enough. It's one of those games I am just glad to have played.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Just finished this
    Definitely wish the last thing to do to unlock the ending wasn't the two most annoying parts of the game, but the ending was fantastic.

Also apparently an easter egg:
    I lost a scout in the Eye and during the post-credits bit it went floating through the sky

Also non-ending related easter egg
    There's a little human-looking satellite that floats around with a little sound clip playing and maybe some pictures of devs on the side

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Beat this tonight. What a fantastic game. Full of absolutely great moments. Easily my favorite thing I've played so far this year.

Ash Twin
    I found something somewhere that made it quite clear that the various towers were portals to each planet. That info may have been in an obscure place though. High Energy Lab?

If you haven't taken the Dark Bramble portal because you think "I don't want to go there," you should take the Dark Bramble portal.

Late Dark Bramble Hint
    Follow your signal scope for both Outer Wilds Ventures and Quantum signals.

For the bad 3-fish room, I did ok by pointing at the middle light of the 3-light formation you see as you transition. Then don't touch anything, even if it looks like you'll hit one. Wait until they disappear into the fog before doing any movement. Turning thrusters (apparently) don't make noise, so turn around and watch them disappear.

Suggested Order:
    Giant's Deep is easiest. Hard to get lost there like some other planets.
    I did Brittle Hollow next, but I think the Twins would have been ok too.
    Save Dark Bramble for near the end, when you've got a lot of spaceship flying experience.
    Don't forget Ember Hearth has some stuff, it's all pretty easy and can be done early.
    Do the smaller stuff as it comes up/when you feel like it.

Great Moments ( full game spoilers)
    Popping under the clouds on Giant's Deep
    Pausing during late cycle when you're on Brittle Hollow, and looking around to see how fucked up it's gotten.
    Missing a jump in Brittle Hollow, falling into the black hole, finding White Hole Station, and then getting back to Brittle Hollow via the teleporter.
    Finding the Vessel in Dark Bramble.
    First time getting the Quantum teleport to work by turning out the lights.
    Finding Solanum on the Quantum moon.
    Sunrise on Ash Twin's road.
    Looking out the window of the Sun Station.
    The very end when you put the band back together and realize they're playing the cycle ending tune.

• Options
    Ending
    just realized you don't really use the quantum teleporting to solve any puzzles and really its only purpose is to establish the visual language for some of the imagery in the ending

That's neat

• Options
    Ending
    just realized you don't really use the quantum teleporting to solve any puzzles and really its only purpose is to establish the visual language for some of the imagery in the ending

That's neat

Hmm, I’d say that
    the process of getting to the quantum moon was a pretty decent puzzle in which it was utilized pretty heavily.

• Options
    Ending

That's neat

Hmm, I’d say that
    the process of getting to the quantum moon was a pretty decent puzzle in which it was utilized pretty heavily.
    sure but you just need the photograph trick for that

The teleportation is a red herring, because it technically takes you to the eye but not in a way that's useful

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Ending

That's neat

Hmm, I’d say that
    sure but you just need the photograph trick for that

The teleportation is a red herring, because it technically takes you to the eye but not in a way that's useful
    Well it gets you to Solanum at least

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    At some point I’ll have to find a not-insufferable Let’s Play of this so I can see all the stuff without feeling like I’m having a panic attack

Giant Bomb or Waypoint play Outer Wilds

6F32U1X.png