As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Outer Wilds - Space Exploration, 22 Minutes At A Time

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Re: Nomai
    I might just be misremembering, but it seemed like they were referred to exclusively in gender neutral terms for the majority of the game, but in the more endgame areas that starts to drop off a bit?

Did anyone else notice that at all?

• Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    I might just be misremembering, but it seemed like they were referred to exclusively in gender neutral terms for the majority of the game, but in the more endgame areas that starts to drop off a bit?

From what I noticed, Hearthians used gender neutral terms (for everyone?), but Nomai use gendered pronouns for themselves.

broken image link
    Ending
    just realized you don't really use the quantum teleporting to solve any puzzles and really its only purpose is to establish the visual language for some of the imagery in the ending

That's neat

Hmm, I’d say that
    the process of getting to the quantum moon was a pretty decent puzzle in which it was utilized pretty heavily.
    sure but you just need the photograph trick for that

The teleportation is a red herring, because it technically takes you to the eye but not in a way that's useful
    Meeting Solanum gets you a better ending. If you don't meet him, he doesn't show up at the end and you don't see the bug people.

broken image link

From what I noticed, Hearthians used gender neutral terms (for everyone?), but Nomai use gendered pronouns for themselves.

Ahh yes, that’d be where I’m getting mixed up

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular

hmmm, I think
    I definitely remember some hearthians using gendered pronouns a few times. I think some of them just use they/them and others don't, but I'm really sure I remember a he or she being used for some Hearthians.

pretty sure it was the same for the Nomai. Some of all three pronouns used.

edited June 2019
    Anzekay wrote: »

hmmm, I think
    I definitely remember some hearthians using gendered pronouns a few times. I think some of them just use they/them and others don't, but I'm really sure I remember a he or she being used for some Hearthians.

pretty sure it was the same for the Nomai. Some of all three pronouns used.

Looks like Mobius addressed this in one of their blog posts regarding localisation.
    ​We feel that the Hearthians don’t have a concept of gender for themselves, not considering themselves intergender or a specific “new” form. We wanted to avoid using disruptive or “new” language for them, since this is never specifically addressed or explained, and we didn’t want players to be addressed in a gender identity that they don’t feel comfortable with, when the more appropriate idea is, that the player is interacting with a race that doesn’t feel the need to address sex that way at all. The Hearthians build their connection without gender, their friendships, and also their own identity. We hope that we were able to allow players to be part of their Outer Wilds Venture in the same way!

Veldrin on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Ending
    just realized you don't really use the quantum teleporting to solve any puzzles and really its only purpose is to establish the visual language for some of the imagery in the ending

That's neat

Hmm, I’d say that
    the process of getting to the quantum moon was a pretty decent puzzle in which it was utilized pretty heavily.

The teleportation is a red herring, because it technically takes you to the eye but not in a way that's useful
    Meeting Solanum gets you a better ending. If you don't meet him, he doesn't show up at the end and you don't see the bug people.

...................................................................................i'm sorry what

• cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Ending

That's neat

Hmm, I’d say that

...................................................................................i'm sorry what
    you can end the game without getting to the quantum moon. If you do, Solanum doesn't show up in the ritual music scene. The final screenshot also doesn't have the new race of aliens "14.3 billion yeas later" huddled around a fire.

The other way the ending can change is if you shoot the scout at the eye, it will disappear forever (i did this accidentally). If you do that, it will be blinking in the sky in the new universe.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
    Ending

That's neat

Hmm, I’d say that

okay so, two layers of spoilers here:
    you went to the Quantum Moon, right? Did you go to its 6th location?
    At the 6th position you find a Nomai you can talk to, and they appear in the ending sequence if you do so!

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Ending

That's neat

Hmm, I’d say that

At the 6th position you find a Nomai you can talk to, and they appear in the ending sequence if you do so!
    i got to the 6th location but i couldn't leave the tower at all? were they... in the tower and i somehow missed them???

edited June 2019
    Ending

That's neat

Hmm, I’d say that

i got to the 6th location but i couldn't leave the tower at all? were they... in the tower and i somehow missed them???
    oh that's explained elsewhere. You can only get out at the 6th location when you summon the tower at the north pole. that's the puzzle of the moon.

That information is scattered around several places. I forget where but it's one of the tenants of the moon.

cursedking on
    Ending

That's neat

Hmm, I’d say that

Ah, so getting to the 6th location is easy but in order to leave the tower you need to be in the tower at the north pole.

whenever the moon shifts in place, the tower stays where it is... so you have to go to the moon orbiting a planet where you can get to a tower *near* the north pole but can't actually get to the north pole itself (like giant's deep), shift to a planet where you can access the north pole (like the twins) and then go to the tower at the north pole. Then you go to the 6th location and you can leave the tower!

it's a bit tricky but the tower of quantum knowledge and the tower or quantum trials details most of this being needed to access the 6th location of the quantum moon... the specifics are something I had to figure out myself.

End game spoilers, moon spoilers
    What I really loved about the quantum moon puzzle is that you spend most of the game thinking that's your real objective. Like, you think that maybe you'll find answers there, or maybe solve the universe exploding there, or the truth about quantum stuff there.

But in the end of that arc you are just completing a pilgrimage that thousands of beings have completed, and while it is totally satisfying and a really cool moment, it's cool and satisfying in the way an experience like that is. You don't really get anything out of it other than what you want to take. There are no concrete answers there. And the representative from the super race doesn't have them either. And then you leave and you're left to try and sort out the mystery alone, and get where no one has gone, ever. It makes the ending incredible

One of my favorite moments in a game...ever. very well executed.

edited June 2019
    there is a lot about this game that feels spiritual in a way that I find difficult to describe but was really into, and does not feel cheesy or exploitative at all

cursedking on
    son of a...

quantum moon
    yeah i figured the "punchline" of the moon was just that, ooh, you thought this'd get you to the eye? no dice bud, you're inches from where you want to be but no dice, you need to find something else

son of a...

quantum moon
    yeah i figured the "punchline" of the moon was just that, ooh, you thought this'd get you to the eye? no dice bud, you're inches from where you want to be but no dice, you need to find something else
    it is definitely worth doing even after finishing the game. It is that, but it is more involved.

• LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    I just started this and was doing the tutorial stuff/talking to people in town and decided to jump in with the ghost matter.
    I like how the game rolls credits and boots you back to main menu but doesn't restart the loop, It's like I started the game over. It's nice how they figured someone like my dumbass would do that but didn't tip their hand.

Endgame question:
    so i get the idea that you're not technically time traveling, in that it's your consciousness that is being sent back in time over and over. But still, your conscious awareness of the universe is keeping it existing. That's how they even describe quantum mechanics - the conscious observation of something forces it into existence. So is the warp project keeping the entire universe from rebooting? Would the universe not reboot if someone didn't find the eye and observe its creation? Would it be more ethical to stay in the loops forever???

Or are the nomai responsible for holding up a natural process and keeping everyone in limbo for 8 years (my spitballing of how long the attempts took, ~9500 22 minute session)

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    What I really loved about the quantum moon puzzle is that you spend most of the game thinking that's your real objective. Like, you think that maybe you'll find answers there, or maybe solve the universe exploding there, or the truth about quantum stuff there.

But in the end of that arc you are just completing a pilgrimage that thousands of beings have completed, and while it is totally satisfying and a really cool moment, it's cool and satisfying in the way an experience like that is. You don't really get anything out of it other than what you want to take. There are no concrete answers there. And the representative from the super race doesn't have them either. And then you leave and you're left to try and sort out the mystery alone, and get where no one has gone, ever. It makes the ending incredible

In addition to this (end game spoilers)
    I spent a long time after that assuming that the Sun Station had something to do with the sun exploding and that by getting there I could stop it and that would be the end game. I finally figure out how to warp there, the sun station is breaking apart, the bridge between the two sections is this amazing harrowing space walk above an expanding star, there's this gorgeous "illusive man" type sun viewing room and then nope this station didn't do anything. I thought that was incredible.

SniperGuy wrote: »

In addition to this (end game spoilers)
    I spent a long time after that assuming that the Sun Station had something to do with the sun exploding and that by getting there I could stop it and that would be the end game. I finally figure out how to warp there, the sun station is breaking apart, the bridge between the two sections is this amazing harrowing space walk above an expanding star, there's this gorgeous "illusive man" type sun viewing room and then nope this station didn't do anything. I thought that was incredible.
    the final stop for most people, i think, because it's the hardest to get to, will be the comet. Which is named as the interloper and seems to be what causes everything.

and you get to the core and it was an apocalypse, but it happened hundreds of thousands of years ago. It's already spent.

so crushing.

I just adore how every single location in the game conceals some sort of groundbreaking and terrifying discovery

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    One thing I think this game does exceptionally well is giving you scraps of information without it feeling like the game is trolling you with only two exceptions
    The current on Giant's Deep, which they admittedly lampshade
    The anglerfish hint, I was also mad because the sand is a pain in the ass and I already knew real anglerfish are blind so I was expecting a more useful tip than that, but come on, they are blind is an extremely easy to write down sentence and it doesn't even make sense that you would determine that from a fossil
    I briefly played Obduction and at the beginning there's a voice recording of some woman babbling about "we're at war be careful who you trust okay bye I need to go" and I was just, fuuuuuuuck ooooooffff. Also I just didn't have the patience to play Obduction but I'm willing to accept that as a personal flaw

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular

My first death was right after I took off from the planet: I ran into the moon at high speed because I wasn’t used to flying, then I climbed out of my pilot seat to try and repair and I couldn’t move within the ship because I didn’t have my suit on, so I was stuck floating there like a dummy, my ship floating around me and I couldn’t do anything, so I reset the game n

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Oh yeah that happened to me too on Dark Bramble. It's not the biggest problem but it's a weird oversight that if you're in zero g without your suit it's just lol you can't move

I jumped into the geyser to see what happened.

broken image link
    I clipped the Interloper’s tail and Team Rocketed into the sun

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Dark Bramble question
    I followed the musical signal to the core and found it, but is there anything I can trigger? It's a messed up little discovery, but my ship log hasn't updated so I don't know if it's a side thing.

Dark Bramble question
    I followed the musical signal to the core and found it, but is there anything I can trigger? It's a messed up little discovery, but my ship log hasn't updated so I don't know if it's a side thing.
    do you mean the eggs? The eggs are nothing, and aren't what you're looking for with the musical outer wilds company signal.

If you're following the distress signal, that's also a different area in bramblepelt

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Dark Bramble question
    do you mean the eggs? The eggs are nothing, and aren't what you're looking for with the musical outer wilds company signal.

If you're following the distress signal, that's also a different area in bramblepelt
    I was tracking the music signal, and came to the ship trapped in thorns. Since I couldn't see a way to interact with it I assumed it was a chilling fate for the pilot and the music was still playing because science-fiction reasons.

edited June 2019
    Dark Bramble question

I was tracking the music signal, and came to the ship trapped in thorns. Since I couldn't see a way to interact with it I assumed it was a chilling fate for the pilot and the music was still playing because science-fiction reasons.
    was it a big ship, or a ship that looks like the ones on other planets that sent out escape pods?

edit:
    any ship you find is significant and has stuff to do there.

cursedking on
    Dark Bramble question

was it a big ship, or a ship that looks like the ones on other planets that sent out escape pods?

edit:
    It was a small ship, about the size of mine.

edited June 2019
    Dark Bramble question

edit:
    It was a small ship, about the size of mine.
    oh wait, was it sparking electricity?

edit
    i guess I need clarification on what signal frequency you were following

cursedking on
    I'll take another look next time I'm playing.

I'll take another look next time I'm playing.
    If it is a similar ship to yours, but sparking electricity, and you were following the outer wilds signal, you juuuust missed the significant thing. Those signals are being played by people, actively.

I’m actually impressed you found the ship and not the source of the signal, it’s usually the other way around.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Man

I want to love this game, and I really do love parts of it a whole lot

But a combination of being near the end, I assume and having the tasks I have to do seem extremely daunting and frustrating if something goes wrong and the loop resets and a LOT of deaths due just how squirrely the controls are and the physics being very harsh in certain situations I think I am hitting a wall

I want to see the end but I am actively no longer having fun so I will probably just YouTube it

CYpGAPn.png
  • LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Well, i'm p sure i'm right near the end and i only had to look up how to do the quantum tower, and the ash twin core (gonna tackle that one next)

God damn i love this game

Probably some of the most fun i've ever had exploring and i love the shitty, janky little spacecraft, and hurling myself through the void

• LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    I haven’t put a ton of time in but I’ve been playing today and finally had my first death:
    So the people you see getting launched out of the orbital cannon I tried to launch ass fast as you could to see if I could catch up but unfortunately the automated don’t escape the solar system kicked in right as I was getting close. So thwarted in that attempt I hit autopilot for Dark Bramble and got most of the way there before getting distracted by what looked like an ultra tiny black hole. After spinning my wheels a bit I finally get a straight shot at it, and thinking it’s a black hole I didn’t slow down at all.

Turns out it was solid and I broke everything, on the ship and me colliding into it.

edited July 2019
    Tackling the quantum stuff right now, it very nearly broke my brain, but I'm most of the way through I think
    First off I had a fun moment when I went back to Giant's Deep

"So this signal is on the other side of this storm, eh?"

"Oh"

The second level of the puzzle is what I spent most of the loop tearing my hair out, I figured out that looking at stuff means it stays put, but it took a forlorn look at the corner of the screen and "Equip Little Scout" for it to hit me. The remaining floors were much easier after that.

As for the Ash Twin section, I barely made it through that cave system before either sand or lack of oxygen killed me and I was already freaked out by everything appearing behind me. Switching the light off to travel with the shard was a cool, eerie moment, though.

Question about the quantum towers
    So I know about observing and travelling with quantum items now, is that all I need for the Brittle Hollow tower? Typing this I remembered the poem on Timber Hearth, but I think that was it for that planet. I briefly went back to Brittle before calling it for the night but I'm still stumped.

PaperLuigi44 on
    Tackling the quantum stuff right now, it very nearly broke my brain, but I'm most of the way through I think
    First off I had a fun moment when I went back to Giant's Deep

"So this signal is on the other side of this storm, eh?"

"Oh"

The second level of the puzzle is what I spent most of the loop tearing my hair out, I figured out that looking at stuff means it stays put, but it took a forlorn look at the corner of the screen and "Equip Little Scout" for it to hit me. The remaining floors were much easier after that.

As for the Ash Twin section, I barely made it through that cave system before either sand or lack of oxygen killed me and I was already freaked out by everything appearing behind me. Switching the light off to travel with the shard was a cool, eerie moment, though.

Question about the quantum towers
    So I know about observing and travelling with quantum items now, is that all I need for the Brittle Hollow tower? Typing this I remembered the poem on Timber Hearth, but I think that was it for that planet. I briefly went back to Brittle before calling it for the night but I'm still stumped.
    this is a real spoiler for the brittle hollow quantum tower, and how to get to it
    That tower is a red herring in terms of how you get there. you do not need quantum knowledge to "ascend" the tower, you just need to...wait