As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Canadian Politics] Takin' out the trash to replace it with... whoops.

• SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    My family and I marched in the York Region Pride Parade with the group PFLAG (Parents, Family & Friends of Lesbians & Gays). You know, the one DoFo crashed with some of his ministers.

Our group was at the back of the parade, so I didn't hear any of the boos (there was a fair bit of cheering and whooping and whistling around us), but I am very glad there was booing. The parade was relatively small, and Newmarket, Ontario is pretty solid PC territory. So the support that came out was surprising to me. Ford was marching/photo op-ing with the York Region Police, and not actually any LGBTQ folks, so I understand.

Edit: Not to say there are not any LGBTQ members of the YRPD, but rather that Ford is showing his support of police, rather than Pride groups.

Steelhawk on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I think that chart switched Ottawa and Oshawa or something. One-bedrooms haven't hit an average of $1500+ here yet

• HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Religious people will no longer threaten Quebec's secularity. (Also immigrants will need to start over their procedures from scratch, thanks to two laws that got hastily voted yesterday.)

I mean, we all know this won't apply to wedding rings, crucifix pendants, etc.

But it definitely will apply to hijabs. Because that's scary.

I'm extremely ashamed of my province today.

I am so glad I started my PR application as soon as I possibly could after arriving, because I'd be fuckin' livid if I'd put it off and got hit with this.

Also, "values test"?
    Get t'fuck.

sig.gif
  • TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    Man, good luck to anyone moving to Toronto from Montreal, the rental market has gone crazy:

*snip for size*

The city desperately needs more subsidized housing and co-op development.

On the plus side, you can apparently live in PEI, NB, or Newfoundland for free. :P
    I do know why they weren't included. Just made me chuckle.

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I think that chart switched Ottawa and Oshawa or something. One-bedrooms haven't hit an average of $1500+ here yet

Have you looked in the past year because oh boy, they absolutely have

I had to really scramble to get a rental that wasn't a coke den for $1250 plus 150 in parking

The average is certainly being increased by the costs of condos downtown, but it is absolutely getting hard to get a shoebox studio for under 1400, especially if you're trying to buy; I've had to put some real thought this year into whether or not a roommate would be a good idea to bring some housing costs down

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Man, good luck to anyone moving to Toronto from Montreal, the rental market has gone crazy:

*snip for size*

On the plus side, you can apparently live in PEI, NB, or Newfoundland for free. :P

Why weren't they included? I genuinely don't know but I'm curious.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »

I had to really scramble to get a rental that wasn't a coke den for $1250 plus 150 in parking

The average is certainly being increased by the costs of condos downtown, but it is absolutely getting hard to get a shoebox studio for under 1400, especially if you're trying to buy; I've had to put some real thought this year into whether or not a roommate would be a good idea to bring some housing costs down

In Ottawa? I was looking for places this month and everything seemed to be around $1200 or less, hmm. I'm looking in Wellington West and Hintonburg so I'm assuming prices would be on the high end.

This makes me feel much better about paying $1100 with utilities included for a small one-bedroom in Hburg though...

edited June 2019

*snip for size*

Why weren't they included? I genuinely don't know but I'm curious.

I feel like I've seen assessments like these before, and basically they didn't have enough respondents/sample size in any particular city in those provinces. Nova Scotia basically gets included in some of them because of how heavily the population is concentrated in Halifax. It does surprise me a little bit that they wouldn't include Moncton-Dieppe or St. John's.

TubularLuggage on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    But there are literally dozens of us in NB! DOZENS OF US!!

• ReznikReznik Registered User regular

In Ottawa? I was looking for places this month and everything seemed to be around $1200 or less, hmm. I'm looking in Wellington West and Hintonburg so I'm assuming prices would be on the high end.

This makes me feel much better about paying $1100 with utilities included for a small one-bedroom in Hburg though...

Every day I become more and more grateful that I scored a 2br in Westboro for 1165

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    My family and I marched in the York Region Pride Parade with the group PFLAG (Parents, Family & Friends of Lesbians & Gays). You know, the one DoFo crashed with some of his ministers.

Our group was at the back of the parade, so I didn't hear any of the boos (there was a fair bit of cheering and whooping and whistling around us), but I am very glad there was booing. The parade was relatively small, and Newmarket, Ontario is pretty solid PC territory. So the support that came out was surprising to me. Ford was marching/photo op-ing with the York Region Police, and not actually any LGBTQ folks, so I understand.

Edit: Not to say there are not any LGBTQ members of the YRPD, but rather that Ford is showing his support of police, rather than Pride groups.

Yeah. He literally showed up at the one in York Region because he is boycotting the Toronto one because that one doesn't want the police there. There's no other reason to come all the way up to Newmarket for a Pride parade.

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited June 2019

Fuckin', cling onto that shit

1250 is the lowest of the low you're gonna get from my searching, and a lot of those "absolutely, totally in Westboro or Hintonburg" places are way back at Carling and not even close, or they're a one room in a student house on AirBnB

I've seen maybe one or two buildings close to that rate and they're like, 40-50 year old musty places, unless you luck out with an individual doing the renting

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular

1250 is the lowest of the low you're gonna get from my searching, and a lot of those "absolutely, totally in Westboro or Hintonburg" places are way back at Carling and not even close, or they're a one room in a student house on AirBnB

I've seen maybe one or two buildings close to that rate and they're like, 40-50 year old musty places, unless you luck out with an individual doing the renting

Yup and Fords plan is to give developers more freedom and cut more red tape so they can build their pointless luxury condos even easier

I heard rumours the liberals will plan on a rebate for new homeowners which uh doesnt do anything tbh and does even less for renters

Be nice for real estate to not be such a overinflated part of economy but I guess thats what happens when you have a bsic human right as a market

icGJy2C.png
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I'm not the only one who doesn't understand sports and the importance people put on teams, right?

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I'm not the only one who doesn't understand sports and the importance people put on teams, right?

it's a fun thing for a lot of people

i'm largely indifferent and crowds that size scare the fuck out of me, but I get that people are excited for our country's first-ever NBA championship

• The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    That and entire generations will die before the leafs win anything so this is the cloesest some will get

icGJy2C.png
    Plus, I feel like people have been starved for something this unifying. It's nice to have a big exciting celebratory thing that everybody can join in on.

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    It's not that I don't understand how sports can be fun, or that people can have that level of personal investment in players or teams (I broadly follow fighting games). I've just never understood how we turn it back on ourselves that a team doing well has any meaning on ourselves? shrug
    And like, power to Toronto / anyone who cared and kudos on your emotional investment paying dividends. I'm all for this stuff as long as we keep it positive and don't have those flip-side riots and shit.

(The size of that crowd scares the shit out of me too. Nothankyoubye.)

ArcticLancer on
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    You've never felt excitement or joy from someone else's success?

It's that, just also feeding into our instinctual tribalism.

Riots are weird, but I'm also from Calgary, where there were none when the Flames won the cup in '88 and when they lost game 7 in '04.

• AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    It's just humans being humans. Not strictly sports related.
    There are crazy reactions to anything someone feels closely to.
    TV shows, video games, elections...

It's just the popularity and addition of alcohol that takes it to the next level.

I've had this discussion with someone who was curious/making fun of (friendly fun!) my reaction to the Leafs losing to boston a couple years ago (I still can't watch the clip).
    I don't live in Toronto, I'm not playing for the Leafs and I don't know anyone on the team personally but it affected me greatly.

What broke through the confusion was video games and how he had a similar reaction to a game series because a certain character died (I can't remember the name, it was a couple years ago). He'd been playing this stuff for like a decade and as far as I know he still hasn't played again.

I think basically anything you invest time and attention into becomes a part of your life. Sports fans aren't any more delusional than other people, we're just drunker and there are more of us :)

• ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I imagine "it's a very nice day and a fine excuse for a party" is a pretty significant factor for quite a few people who might not otherwise be quite as invested, too.

Zibblsnrt on
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Since I'm old af, the Raptors win just confuses me, I lived too many decades of them being the worst, that brain still has trouble accepting they are actually good now.

Feels like an elaborate prank and Ashton Kutcher gonna pop out at any moment and be all " Ha you actually believed the Raptors got good?"

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    I'm downtown Toronto right now and it's pretty nuts. They've shut down a chunk of the subway, which is going to make getting home interesting.

8R7BtLw.png
  • Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Reznik wrote: »

Every day I become more and more grateful that I scored a 2br in Westboro for 1165

Really helping put things in perspective for my wife and I.

We live in a 3 room semi-detached in Gloucester and are paying 1275. Guess we're lucky.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Reports of shots fired at the Raptors parade.

Hopefully everyone pulls through, this is awful...

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    Why the hell are we talking about the Raptors parade and not the horrific institutional racism being boldly enacted in Quebec? I am absolutely sickened by that province once again. I hope that locals are doing what they can to protest this although it is clear that the racists have majority support across the province outside the urban areas.

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Because shots were literally just fired at the parade. Try to keep up.

• DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    There can be more than one topic in a thread that includes all of Canada.

steam_sig.png
  • BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    psyck0 wrote: »
    Why the hell are we talking about the Raptors parade and not the horrific institutional racism being boldly enacted in Quebec? I am absolutely sickened by that province once again. I hope that locals are doing what they can to protest this although it is clear that the racists have majority support across the province outside the urban areas.

We did, this morning.
    Religious people will no longer threaten Quebec's secularity. (Also immigrants will need to start over their procedures from scratch, thanks to two laws that got hastily voted yesterday.)

I mean, we all know this won't apply to wedding rings, crucifix pendants, etc.

But it definitely will apply to hijabs. Because that's scary.

I'm extremely ashamed of my province today.

You can check the responses, but it's pretty par-for-the-course for this thread. Solidarity, shame, disappointment, the ush.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
    edited June 2019

Remember when Kellie Leitch proposed a "Values test"? Quebec doesn't.

It's such a fucking farce anyway. Do we think terrorist or domestic abusers are gonna check "yes" on the "Are women inferior animals?" box?
    The only question on a values test should be "Are values tests Canadian?" and if you select yes you can't come in and if you're here already you get kicked out.

It's both offensive and offensively stupid.

There people are screened and interviewed already.

edit: Also, yeah, the religious symbols thing passed so now people can commence screaming at women in Hijab's and think the law is on their side.

Aridhol on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »

Remember when Kellie Leitch proposed a "Values test"? Quebec doesn't.

It's such a fucking farce anyway. Do we think terrorist or domestic abusers are gonna check "yes" on the "Are women inferior animals?" box?
    The only question on a values test should be "Are values tests Canadian?" and if you select yes you can't come in and if you're here already you get kicked out.

It's both offensive and offensively stupid.

There people are screened and interviewed already.

edit: Also, yeah, the religious symbols thing passed so now people can commence screaming at women in Hijab's and think the law is on their side.

It is not, at least as far as I know, intended to screen out terrorists or the like. It's basically meant to screen applicants for values that Quebec doesn't want in it's populace and thus doesn't want to add to the problem by bringing in more people that think that way.

Whether this law is effective at that, well, I honestly have no idea since I only have a vague idea what it changes.

• JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular

Wife and I found some appartments for $1150 - $1200 near Montréal Road (Montfort Hospital area) last year as were pondering wheter to sell or rent our condo.

Now than we moved to the Québec side of the NCR, our mortage for a 1,200 square feet home is $970 per month.

We'd still be in a condo had we wanted to buy in Ottawa.

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I work at an office tower attached to the Eaton Center, as part of (a very low rung on) the management team. Those able/willing helped out with the property's security force, just as extra eyes in case something went sideways.

All the same, I didn't expect to be conducting crowd control and guidance at the north end of the mall while the police sorted some shit out.

It has been ages since I worked security, so mostly just aimed for 'firm and reassuringly commanding' in tone and hoped to not fucking things up too badly while people tried to get inside. Of the building that has alarm tones sounding. While a bunch of police work the area and we are pointedly telling everyone to politely fuck off to one of the subway stations that is actually open. Some people are astoundingly dense at times. Yes, I've seen the video of the guy screaming at the door when we closed the mall due to the circumstances around the G20 back in 2010. I came in to help out that day too.

It has been a very long day.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    About Quebec and the CAQ...

I'm pretty sure Quebec voted for them because they were the only federalist option besides the Liberals, and the Liberals were the incumbents. So it's not that Quebec is racist (and also operating under First Past the Post, let's not forget), it's that Quebec really doesn't want to separate from Canada.

Also, the idea as it evolved was that people in authority (police, teachers, etc) should be secular, and not "push their faith" on people, because, honestly, we've had quite enough of that in the 50s. But what this means is, actually, no religious authority figures in positions of power, ie no priests, imams, rabbis and the like, but there is a sleight of hand being pulled by christian conservatives to make "wearing the hijab" mean "being a religious authority figure", and unfortunately, a lot of people seem to be falling for it.

In other news, did you know that, in Quebec, you can contest the raising of your rent? Then the landlord has to justify before the Régie de L'Immeuble that the increase was reasonable and justified, and then they help you and the landlord come to an agreement. Tenant's rights, it is a sacred tradition here.

Children's rights are human rights.
    You can wear a wedding ring but not a niqab.
    That's it right there in a nutshell and all the handwavy ways in which Quebec is so special doesn't mean its not racist and shitty as a law.

I don't get to hide behind my unique BC culture whenever I face criticism.

• SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Edit: Wrong thread. My bad.

Steelhawk on
  • MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Look, if the combined forces of England, America, and English Canada culture over several centuries hasn’t wiped out your culture, a few women wearing a head covering ain’t going to do it either.

• RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Look, if the combined forces of England, America, and English Canada culture over several centuries hasn’t wiped out your culture, a few women wearing a head covering ain’t going to do it either.

They didn't, but they came damn close. You should read up on pre-Quiet-Revolution Québec. Being francophone in Québec back then was not a positive.

sig.gif
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    And I'll shock everyone by saying I'm disappointed in Bill 21. While I am 100% in favour of secularism, that bill, or specifically the last-minute amendments added to it, has crossed the line in multiple ways. The ban on face-covering when receiving public services was soundly rejected by voters when the PQ proposed it election before last and seeing it pushed through regardless is wrong. As is the values test, which was laughed out by voters when Harper's Conservatives proposed it in 2015. But the worst IMO is their definition of religious symbols as "something worn by religious convictions", which means you cannot enforce the law without knowing the religious beliefs of the person you're applying it to, which just makes for an insanely unfair bill. That means two people with the same jobs and responsibilities could wear the exact same clothing and accessories, and one would be legal and the other illegal based on their personal faiths. Worse, you could have Muslims come in wearing catholic priest outfits and Christians come in wearing hijabs and not violate the law, since they are not wearing things that correspond to their religious convictions. In fact, since Islamic faith does not actually require the hijab, it's more of a cultural thing, you could make the argument that a Muslim woman wearing a hijab is not violating the law! This definition, in addition to being patently unfair, just creates such massive loopholes it makes the law basically nonsensical.

sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.