As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Castlevania & Bloodstained] sitting in a tree, S-L-A-Y-I-N-G

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    TelMarine wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    Holy Christ, I started reading some of the recent Kickstarter comments.

I should not have.

I glanced and apparently someone is spoiling the game? I quickly closed it.

One of the people bitching the loudest (named Simon Belmont) linked to a video of someone streaming the game, which contains or contained spoilers, apparently.

There may be other spoilery stuff now, too, not sure. I stopped looking at the comments an hour or two ago.

Part of this issue is that J&L Games in New York received their PS4 and XB1 copies and broke street date, so many people already have the game. 505 Games only has agreements with larger stores, like Walmart and the like, so 505 apparently cannot do much to prevent the broken street date from smaller stores like J&L. The net result is: The kickstarter backers feel "betrayed" by 505 Games because 505 had the gall to follow through with the logistical necessity of shipping games to retailers ahead of time. That seems to be the main complaint of the hour.

On top of that, there's two other complaints, it seems:

There's a Day 1 patch. People who selected a physical version of the game are calling this a betrayal because the final version of the game still requires a digital download.

Along with the DLC which includes a mixture of complaint as it's not backer exclusive anymore.

I can understand these complaints but I think they just reveal an immense sense of entitlement. I think a part of the problem is that "backer-exclusive" content is a bad concept, and I blame Iga/505 for that, but also, backers were surveyed on this subject (admittedly post-campaign) and we majorly agreed that it was OK to offer up that DLC later on, at cost, to non-backers. I was one of the individuals that voted in that direction because permanently exclusive content is a garbage concept and I personally have a negative feeling of any opinion that thinks that's a good idea, whether that's coming from a developer, a publisher, or my fellow gamer. Next, the realities of shipping logistics will always exist while physical media does so bitching endlessly about the fact that one retailer "leaked" the game is just fruitless and laying the blame at 505's feet is unfair, in my opinion.

I could go on but this whole thing is just depressing to watch.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I'm okay with gatekeeper types feeling betrayed. I'll drink their tears while sitting on a dracula throne have at thee.

That being said blaming them for some store breaking street date is the pinnacle of mindless baby rage.

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Is it playable without the day 1 patch? That's my main gripe for physical media requiring day 1 patches. The point of physical media, for me, is to be able to put it in and play it whenever I want and not have to worry about making sure I have it downloaded many years from now or whenever I want to play it.

I agree, gating stuff is dumb. I think certain perks should be rewarded to backers, but it doesn't have to be exclusive only to them, it can be released later or at a cost like how they are doing DLC and what not. This gives people more incentive to back your game in a Kickstarter instead of waiting it out and letting other people put their money and waiting for the result, if it goes through.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Hell, beyond having to install game files, I remember having to "update" those files for pretty much any game I've bought, digital or otherwise. Now, for almost any game recently, other than Kingdom Hearts III that is, that means games that are well past their release by at least 6 months to a year if not more like two years, so of course there are patches, but my point is of course there are patches. It's the way this shit works anymore, and I get that people are annoyed by it but it's not helpful to get pissed at the game makers.

Hell, before the days of internet and digital downloads/patches, if a game shipped broken it was just broken forever.

Now, if you're pissed because you can't play the game you got early, okay, I get that, but eh. Unless it's literally the only game you have to play, I still can't feel too bad for them. I myself have over 400 games I have yet to play on Steam alone. I assume a more reasonable backlog for most people is more like 10 games, but still, it feels incredibly entitled to get pissy about that one game out of 10 that you can't play.

It just feels like so much bitching from people who are used to "getting everything".

The only bitching I can commiserate with is if you live in a place with suck-ass internet in the backwoods of fuckoff Appalachia or something, but at that point I'm going to still direct those complainers towards the fact that internet infrastructure is the domain of politicians and news media companies, and to a greater extent the voters who let or don't let such shitty things happen to their internet, and that it's not 505 et al that control how much "Internet Company" charges or throttles your connection. That's a rant for another place and time, but suffice it to say that none of those complaints feel . . . grounded? In anything I can feel too bad about for more than a moment.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Hopefully Bloodstained is good enough and does well enough that they can do a sequel without need of crowdfunding. There will always be cranky people not satisfied with the final product, but I suspect many of those voices will fade away after the game's release. Complaining about some rogue store releasing the game early tells me that the person is ignorant of how game releases have worked for...well, a very long time.

And Day 1 patches...hell, as evidenced by the recent Castlevania Collection, the original release of Castlevania 1 for NES was buggy and even crashed on occasion. I kind of wonder which version my Castlevania 1 cartridge is. I don't remember it ever crashing on me when I was a kid, but I do have memories of those beep sounds heard throughout that version.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    TelMarine wrote: »
    Is it playable without the day 1 patch? That's my main gripe for physical media requiring day 1 patches. The point of physical media, for me, is to be able to put it in and play it whenever I want and not have to worry about making sure I have it downloaded many years from now or whenever I want to play it.

I agree, gating stuff is dumb. I think certain perks should be rewarded to backers, but it doesn't have to be exclusive only to them, it can be released later or at a cost like how they are doing DLC and what not. This gives people more incentive to back your game in a Kickstarter instead of waiting it out and letting other people put their money and waiting for the result, if it goes through.

Its being streamed so yeah its probably playable without the patch

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Kickstarter is a great service that has enabled a lot of cool stuff to happen.

But holy shit do backers display an amazing sense of entitlement. I honestly can't imagine having to be the people behind a kickstarter project and put up with their nonsense.

My mind goes back to this old satire video about the people sending death threats to Oculus VR after the Facebook buyout.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULRV6Pz3Crs

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    redundant_pairingredundant_pairing Registered User regular
    https://www.konami.com/games/eu/en/topics/15123/ this should have Rondo of Blood on it

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    https://www.konami.com/games/eu/en/topics/15123/ this should have Rondo of Blood on it

The only thing that sucks about that mini console is that it doesn't include Military Madness. Lost a lot of hours on that one.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Drovek wrote: »

The only thing that sucks about that mini console is that it doesn't include Military Madness. Lost a lot of hours on that one.

They've only announced 5 games for it so far, with more to come. Plenty of time for games like Rondo of Blood (which is on the Japanese one) and Military Madness to be announced.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Got my shipping notice for Bloodstained today! Excite!

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I'm still not seeing the exact details of when Bloodstained unlocks on Steam. I can't wait. It's usually like 9 or 10 Pacific time though, right?

Over the past month YouTube has been popping up skeptic videos on Bloodstained already and really, it's that kinda shit that makes me think some people would be happier not engaging video games at all. I haven't watch any of them. Not out of "oh no they're going to ruin it" thought, but because how much could they fucking know? Also there's a barrage of skeptic videos for video games and film that are so bad faith that none of them are worth watching in the first place.

Took the time to setup my new broadcast equipment for Twitch as well.

• Options
    redundant_pairingredundant_pairing Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    I'm still not seeing the exact details of when Bloodstained unlocks on Steam. I can't wait. It's usually like 9 or 10 Pacific time though, right?

Over the past month YouTube has been popping up skeptic videos on Bloodstained already and really, it's that kinda shit that makes me think some people would be happier not engaging video games at all. I haven't watch any of them. Not out of "oh no they're going to ruin it" thought, but because how much could they fucking know? Also there's a barrage of skeptic videos for video games and film that are so bad faith that none of them are worth watching in the first place.

Ignore videos of games by people you don't trust. It's either overly political in stupid ways, hating for no reason, or blind fanboism. Wait for the unlock, and then get reviews from people who aren't out to create drama for the sake of clicks.

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »

I'm glad I've been missing out on that part of youtube for the most part. The Algorithm has spared me....for now. Or I've just gotten good at ignoring what the big clickbaity text written over youtube thumbnails says these days.

Based on the latest update, it sounds like I won't get my physical stuff until a little later.
    There's also an update regarding our physical PC backer copies that we think everyone will like. We are going to be providing all our PC backers with their digital keys at launch, and waiting until all future free stretch goals / content is released before sending physical PC copies of the game.

We've heard the feedback that fans would like the most complete version possible on disc. While we can't do the same with console orders due to first-party logistics, release timelines and costs, by offering this to PC physical backers we hope to provide them with a crystallized encapsulation of the Kickstarter content that you all helped make possible and fulfill the "collector's desire" that I'm sure many like myself hoped for when backing for a PC physical copy. We'll be sharing more about when to expect physical PC copies as we obviously reveal more about the free dlc / stretch goals in the future.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Sending physical goods takes time, hopefully people get that and don't turn into blind rage monsters.

• Options
    Oh yeah, they're sending all $100+ backers this poster with art by Ayami Kojima too, which is cool:
    443657dc44e4f7af72963f864be26a38_original.jpg?ixlib=rb-2.0.0&w=700&fit=max&v=1560404668&auto=format&gif-q=50&q=92&s=0454de87280547dc46cac381983d39b1

The biggest concern in the kickstarter comments is whether the poster will be folded or rolled.

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    It’s happening! I got an email that a tracking number for my copy of Bloodstained has been created. It hasn’t gone out yet but it’s in sight!

Yeah, hopefully that poster is shipped rolled in a good solid poster tube. I’ve had thing sent to me.... less than secure. It’s not worth it if it isn’t done right.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    Extended gameplay video:
    https://youtu.be/4YsNZZISUGk

I've only watched a bit of it. I figure I don't need to see too much of it now.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I just hope the Switch version isn't too far behind the others in terms of visuals and performance.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Going from beating Dracula as Richter in Rondo straight into the opening of Symphony is a bit of a trip, I tell you what.

Dracula's legs move when he jumps now! Glad to see that my complaint traveled backwards in time and was addressed by the developers.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    I just hope the Switch version isn't too far behind the others in terms of visuals and performance.

I think I got the Steam version? I have to log in and check. But even so, the Switch has been really pushing itself as an indie friendly platform and so I hope that version isn't noticeably handicapped.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    So if I backed this for the Wii U (now Switch), I should get my digital code on or before the 25th, right?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Finally finished Rondo so I'm ready for Bloodstained! I'd been sitting on the last level for like a couple months and finally decided to finish it. Ghost Shaft is a fucking prick, fuck that was frustrating. Good thing that level isn't particularly difficult. Especially with Maria. Speaking of which I absolutely steamrolled Drac with Maria. Richter was a different story though. Took quite a few tries to get the timing down on dodging his fireballs. His second form was still a pushover.

I think I finished with something like 65% completion. Not terribly interested in going back to find the alternate levels I missed. Rondo is pretty great, but it stomps your balls in just a little too hard for my liking.

Now bring on Bloodstained!

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    Doesn't this come out tomorrow for most platforms?

3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    ThePantsAssociationThePantsAssociation A million could-be years on a thousand may-be worldsRegistered User regular
    Yes, tomorrow for all the platforms but Switch, which gets it next Tuesday. Folks who backed for a physical PC copy will get a code tomorrow and the boxed game at an indeterminate date - but it will include all the DLC and current patches.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Already have plans to get together with my Castlevania fan friends and go at it with bloodstained all night.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Please be good, please be good, please be good....

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    So, let's say that I backed this, then forgot about it, and I backed it enough to get a copy of the game + some extras. The kickstarter page says that the code is usable for PS4/Xbox/PC. If I'd wanted this on the Switch instead, was I supposed to do something to indicate this, or am I out of luck?

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    This drops tonight at midnight on steam, yes?

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    So, let's say that I backed this, then forgot about it, and I backed it enough to get a copy of the game + some extras. The kickstarter page says that the code is usable for PS4/Xbox/PC. If I'd wanted this on the Switch instead, was I supposed to do something to indicate this, or am I out of luck?

I imagine you were supposed to have updated your desired platform via the Backer Survey, which I think was finalized in late May.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Are the backer codes on Fangamer? I don't think I got mine yet.

• Options
    metaghost wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »

I imagine you were supposed to have updated your desired platform via the Backer Survey, which I think was finalized in late May.

I think at this point you'd be stuck looking for someone to trade codes with.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Update from the Bloodstained Discord:
    "FYI, digital codes are going out in batches throughout the day. The code will be added to your survey page and then you'll get an email confirmation."

Mine hasn't arrived yet.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I got a Limited Run of Curse of the Moon on eBay. It was boxed like a Konami nes cart. Don't ask me what I played for it.

• Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    My copy arrived today! Starting it up now!!!

FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
  • Options
    Hopefully reviews start hitting soon. Do we know if advance copies went out to reviewers?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Hopefully reviews start hitting soon. Do we know if advance copies went out to reviewers?

Supposedly not, which the devs attributed to a large day one patch. Curious to see what impact that has vs. unpatched.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Dang iiiiiiiiiiiiit when does it unlock on Steam? :(

Edit - 8am pacific apparently, tomorrow morning.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    First boss down. So far it's everything I hoped for!

FC: 1907-8030-1478