As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Official Bug Identification Thread Starring Arch, Bugboy, and Fiendishrabbit

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Jumping spiders are adorable.

They are also fast little fuckers.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Edit: nevermind, moved over to a more appropriate thread. Post's here if you are curious.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Sorry for the crappy quality, this was cropped from a much larger picture

Found this little guy in the hoop house, body is a dark orange and maybe the size of a dime

Figured maybe the black marking in the center might help ID
    xpsrn2zsdm42.jpeg

That is Mona, she has dreams of moving to Hollywood and becoming a screenwriter.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    I thought it was Janice, who is studying to become a web developer?

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

Boo this man!

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Nah, that's Denise who's trying to get out of QA work because she's tired of hunting bugs.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
  • Options
    see317 wrote: »

Nah, that's Denise who's trying to get out of QA work because she's tired of hunting bugs.

Actually it could be Charlotte who is dreaming of life away from the farm

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Thanks, @Fiendishrabbit your picture was exactly what it looks like when someone competent takes a photo so I’m gonna say that’s the one

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    downerdowner Registered User regular
    co1keeg4fi19.jpeg

Any thoughts on this little guy? I initially thought Mayfly, but that doesn’t seem quite right? Southern Ohio.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Some kind of crane fly, maybe?

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    It's not a mayfly (the wingstructure, antennae and body structure is wrong for that).

It's definitly a cranefly. A male of the ctenophora family, because only the males of the ctenophora family have those feathery antannae. This guy is on the hunt for a female.
    I don't know which species it is.

Fiendishrabbit on
    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Just saw several interesting looking flies, and I'm wondering if this thread can help. Sorry, I didn't get a picture.

It looked like a largish fly, all black body with a light yellow spot where the wings join the body, about an inch long, and with a pointed butt that curled up towards the sky.

Location is south central Wisconsin.

• Options
    Did it look anything like this?
    OL0ZTLZZPLJLDZKRTZ5R1LIZCL2ROL4RCLQZPLYLYZHZ2LJLPLZZWLLZTLZZOZIRKHMZWL3L2LJL.jpg

Earwigs also fit the description of 1 inch large, black and butt pointing towards the sky (and they do have wings), but people tend to notice the big claw at the end of the abdomen.

• Options
    Nope, wings were housefly-like, 2 somewhat equilateral triangles that laid flat against the body. It was all black, and the only bit of color was the spot by the wings.

I would say it was definitely a fly of some kind and not a wasp. No wasp like segmentation.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Mydas fly?
    mydas_brunet2012.jpg?itok=tQD0LV6L
    BRFKDRFK9RYKWRFK3QI0DQ501RG0JQ70ARJKORQQS0W0Z00QR0XQARX0DQYKARRQVRJKUR0QL0QQ3R.jpg

Fiendishrabbit on
  • Options
    If it's not "about an inch", but instead about half that size it could be a goldenbacked snipe fly.
    MRJZSR3Z4RULKZTLLZELQZVLQZRHGRQHERKHGRLHIZDL0ZOL6ROLQZTLKZELJLULYL2LMRDZIRKHIRQHSZOL5RSHSZ.jpg

• Options
    edited June 2019
    No. I am pretty positive the wings did not overlap at all. I will be out in that area again tomorrow, so if I see one I will try to get a picture if I see one again.

Edit: I do believe the goldenbacked snipe fly is it. The body was about as long as the distance between my pointer fingers 2nd and 3rd knuckle

Veevee on
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    ugw7377z7g92.jpg
    Relative in Fort Worth, TX posted this on Facebook with a big question mark.
    First guess was some kind of moth, but she said it had more of a shiny shell rather than moth wings

Colorful little thing, whatever it is.
    Edit: Said it looked about 1/2 inch or so.

see317 on
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    I knew it had to be a moth, with a body that long and narrow and wings folded close and no crazy antennae...it had to be.

It's an Ailanthus Webworm moth.
    Atteva_punctella_20070825_WashingtonCoPA_DSC06987_weblogo.jpg

Fiendishrabbit on
  • Options
    Note that all species of that family are quite shiny and look a bit like true bugs when they're not flying.
    4868324512_d41a309e0a_b.jpg

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Hello!
    Any idea what this might be? Thinking horsehair worm, but that's like 5 mins of Googling. Suburb of Chicago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qRtHuJvPHA

• Options
    DisenchanterDisenchanter Magnolia, DERegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    what are these evil flies and how do I rid my yard/pool of them... they are horrible, most flies i have dealt with will go away when you dunk under the water in a pool, these guys just hover and wait for you to come back up. They do not give no f's about citronella or any other bug/fly repellant we have tried.

https://dropbox.com/s/m7uzzadx08wt6lw/2018-09-20%2016.16.16.jpg?dl=0

https://dropbox.com/s/0vn3snj0143tphl/2018-09-20%2016.15.16.jpg?dl=0

https://dropbox.com/s/thyk6ruucfaluo6/2018-09-20%2016.16.39.jpg?dl=0

Disenchanter on
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Looks like a variant of horsefly/deerfly.

To get rid of them:
    1. Get rid of any garbage around the pool/yard. The females will bite you for blood to breed their offspring, but generally they live off organic junk.
    2. Bait flytraps with 50/50 sugar/vinegar. Flies love that stuff. There are a number of different commercial and improvised versions of fly traps and most of them are pretty effective.

P.S: This is a pretty effective and easily made version. how-to-build-a-horsefly-trap. And you don't need that much bait either.

Fiendishrabbit on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Alternatively:
    Borrow some swallows to catch the flies?
    Barn Swallows have adapted to nesting near people, and build their cup-shaped mud nests in barns or garages, or on protected ledges, often near each other. The good news? These twittery, flittery birds love to eat the insects that humans consider pesky.

Imagine: 60 insects per hour, a whopping 850 per day. That's how much each bird eats.

:whistle: It's worth a try!* :whistle:

*(Ambient cat-levels may negatively impact ROI of bird-based pest control.)

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    Thank you, they are the most insufferable buggers, washing my car and they are all about the water on it, swat one and it just chuckles and flies off

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I'm pretty sure if you listen hard enough you can literally hear those fuckers having a laugh at your expense, horseflies are the worst.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    ceres wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure if you listen hard enough you can literally hear those fuckers having a laugh at your expense, horseflies are the worst.

To the point where a friend of the family with a cabin in the archipelago used to load up his airsoft rifle with pieces of eraser rubber to shoot at them from his bed. Those projectiles were powerful&fast enough to hit both horseflies and the occasional hornet.

• Options
    Also. My very inexpert guess would be Leucotabanus Annulatus.
    But when it comes to flies I'm terrible since I think all of them are sufficiently disgusting that I'm not going to study them very closely.

• Options
    If it helps further, I am from lower Delaware

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    According to my map Delaware is too small to have a "lower" and an "upper". It's just "Delaware".

• Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    deerflies.

I hate them so much i'm almost tempted to build a flytrap as described above, but make a platform of mesh above the liquid so they don't drown.

I want them alive...

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Earwigs are starting to show up one at a time here and there in our house. We're in Madison, WI, and the weather's been rainy and hot for the last week or so. Our house is dry, well insulated, and AC'd, and from what I'm reading they don't like those conditions much so I'm not sure why they're invading my space, but here they are. Last year it was stinkbugs so I'm kind of just hoping this is a thing that bugs do to annoy me?

There's been a couple on the ground floor and my wife said she found some dead ones in the basement. When I get home this evening I'm going to go poking around our utility room with a flashlight. Any tips from you fine bug aficionados that you could share?

• Options
    edited July 2019
    According to my map Delaware is too small to have a "lower" and an "upper". It's just "Delaware".

It's also not a very helpful descriptor anyway, because upper and lower could be referring to north vs south, or higher elevation vs lower, like with Germany. Upper Germany is the southern parts closer to the Alps, while lower Germany is the north, closer to the coasts.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

It's also not a very helpful descriptor anyway, because upper and lower could be referring to north vs south, or higher elevation vs lower, like with Germany. Upper Germany is the southern parts closer to the Alps, while lower Germany is the north, closer to the coasts.

yea and you definitely don't want to confuse the Northern Delawarean Alps with the southern delaware desert. way different ecosystems there

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    This one scared my daughter while it was hanging out above her sandbox. What goes there?

https://imgur.com/a/IaJbDTL

https://youtu.be/ts_QGwqT4bE

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Wolf spider?

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    ceres wrote: »
    Wolf spider?

Wolf spiders don't really do webs like that, and they tend to be longer legged with hairier bodies and are generally brown and black. I was thinking an orb weaver, but there are so many types of orb weavers that that really only narrows it down a little more than "it's some kind of spider".

Of course, I'm not a professional bug guy, so I could be wrong on all counts.

• Options
    Yep. Not a wolf spider. Wolf spiders don't really do the whole "hanging in a web thing".
    The big (and possibly weirdly shaped, can't really tell if it's a camoflage pattern or if the abdomen is actually somewhat triangular in shape) abdomen, the pattern on the legs and the fact that it's hanging in a web all suggests orb weaver, just like See317 said.