As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Overwatch] Workshop now included.

• KamarKamar Registered User regular
    I've literally never killed a single person with McCree's ult.

It's like a suicide button for me.

Good thing I barely ever play damage.

• Ash of YewAsh of Yew Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »

The advice I saw early on was even if you only get 1 person with it, consider it a success. That said, I usually do a really round about flank and try to get weird angles to pull it off myself. Certainly a lot of failed ones though.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Ash of Yew wrote: »

The advice I saw early on was even if you only get 1 person with it, consider it a success. That said, I usually do a really round about flank and try to get weird angles to pull it off myself. Certainly a lot of failed ones though.

I was under the impression that if the enemy team knows you're playing McCree, and you disappear from the team fighting for a while, that basically telegraphs that you're trying to be sneaky and set up a flanking High Noon.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

I was under the impression that if the enemy team knows you're playing McCree, and you disappear from the team fighting for a while, that basically telegraphs that you're trying to be sneaky and set up a flanking High Noon.

You could always do the same thing without the ult. Left click on them healers!

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    So, the eggheads over at Reddit worked out that there's a fairly significant bug with the way damage reduction from armor is applied such that Brigitte's Rally armor is actually more effective than it's supposed to be.

It's like this: think of your character's health as a stack of separate "chunks" of HP, each of which holds several attributes that describe that specific health bar. For a regular squishy like McCree, that looks like:

McCree: [200 HP: Health, Permanent]

For a character with mixed health types, that looks like this:

Zenyatta: [50 HP: Health, Permanent] [150 HP: Shield, Permanent]
    Reinhardt: [300 HP: Health, Permanent] [200 HP: Armor, Permanent]

When you get temporary armor from another source like, say, Brigitte's Repair Pack, that looks something like this:

Zenyatta: [50 HP: Health, Permanent] [150 HP: Shield, Permanent] [75 HP: Armor, Temporary (5 seconds left)]

When you take damage, there's a possibility that the damage you take will exhaust one kind of HP. In that case, it needs to bleed over to the next chunk of health in the stack. Here's the bug: when damage bleeds over from one chunk to the next, the test for whether the current chunk is "armor" and should have its damage reduced is repeated. Furthermore, the health chunks that are applied by Brigitte's Rally are each discrete health chunks. They're doled out in units of 15, up to a maximum of 100. So if Brigitte Rallies Zenyatta up to the maximum possible armor, that looks like this:

Zenyatta: [50 HP: Health, Permanent] [150 HP: Shield, Permanent] [15 HP: Armor, Temporary (30 seconds)] [15 HP: Armor, Temporary (30 seconds)] [15 HP: Armor, Temporary (30 seconds)] [15 HP: Armor, Temporary (30 seconds)] [15 HP: Armor, Temporary (30 seconds)] [15 HP: Armor, Temporary (30 seconds)] [10 HP: Armor, Temporary (30 seconds)]

Now let's say that you take... number out of a hat... 50 damage. The game goes down the stack from the top: The first chunk is armor, so it reduces the damage by 3, to 47. That exhausts the first chunk, so it's removed, and we have 37 damage left. The next chunk is armor, so that's another 3 damage, down to 34. The chunk is 15 HP, so we have 19 damage left. The next chunk is armor, so the damage is reduced by 3 again to 16. That exhausts the next chunk and leaves 1 damage left. Armor reduces the damage by .5, and you take the remaining .5 off that chunk of armor.

So in total, you got 9.5 bonus HP out of your armor, where normal armor is limited to 3. The same interaction happens when, say, you put a Repair Pack on Reinhardt, but obviously it's less extreme.

But the practical upshot is that Rally armor is way more effective than normal armor, so if you've ever gotten the sense that targets under Rally felt harder than they should have been, you're right! It's subtle and Rally is the only circumstance under which you'd notice it, but that's how it seems to be.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    Fuckin' knew it.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Ash of YewAsh of Yew Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

You could always do the same thing without the ult. Left click on them healers!

Yeah that's pretty standard for how I play McCree and when my ult is up I just up the sneakiness a little more. I'm usually trying to be behind or on the side of people in general though, and then bullying their own stragglers with flash/fan the hammer when I can.

To note, I just play quickplay so I'm by no means any word of authority on this.

• ZekZek Registered User regular

Whatever you do, just make sure they're distracted. If a team isn't busy when you attack, it's not a flank - you may as well be standing in the front door.

• SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    I strongly suspect that Overwatch's monetization is not pulling in a lot of cash right now, and they don't seem to be doing anything about that. It's enough to justify more skins being made I guess, but it's not good enough to be the sole ongoing revenue model of a marquee franchise. I just can't imagine they keep adding major content for too much longer with only that amount of revenue to support it. I don't think they'll abandon the franchise though, which is why I expect a full sequel with both PvE and PvP elements.

I see your point. C

The alternative is to use it from behind the cover of your tanks to pressure the enemy team into cover or bait them into foolishly diving you, in which case you fire it and flash them when they land on you so that your team can secure an easy pick.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    ball players are truly the wisest amongst us

https://youtu.be/-hA8PNBBxF8

obF2Wuw.png
    Ohhhh the Doom at the end. Divine.

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Well those that don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it. Hamsters included.

steam_sig.png
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    To the WB player's credit, they laughed about it.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    edited June 2019

Scroll to the bottom to see the new skin.

Chance on
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    i'll earn the ten wins or whatever to get that skin but man does the scarf look dumb

uc3ufTB.png
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    That's Nebula and Hugo winner Alyssa Wong by the way.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I was thinking which heroes are gonna make it into OW2. I'm guessing the primary roster will be a mix of old and new much like a fighting game.

I'd say Brigitte is probably gonna get shipped off somewhere.

• mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    We can only hope... :P

Though I would guess that there would be some "lore progression" that changes up the abilities a bit even if the names/faces stay the same

i'll earn the ten wins or whatever to get that skin but man does the scarf look dumb
    They somehow keep finding ways to make it look worse!

• Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Brigitte is my main healer now, so I'd be sad. She's... basically what I wanted Doomfist to be, but as a healer.

But as long as Moira is around I'll adapt. I'd also accept Zen, though I don't think I've played a single minute of Zen since Moira came out, so I'd be rusty.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Trick question, OW2 is going to have a full character creator and be essentially what they wanted the Titan project to be but on a smaller and more PvP-compatible scale.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I doubt they'd go with character creator. Part of the reason OW got such a big following was because people loved a lot of the individual characters.

🦀 JEFF IS HERE 🦀

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I don't see how you can make competitive FFA deathmatch work and not be the fakest ranking out there.

edited June 2019
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I don't see how you can make competitive FFA deathmatch work and not be the fakest ranking out there.
    They already did comp FFA like a year ago. It was fine, and all ranks aren't very meaningful anyway. Wow you more points for gold guns that look bad...

Coinage on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I was thinking which heroes are gonna make it into OW2. I'm guessing the primary roster will be a mix of old and new much like a fighting game.

I'd say Brigitte is probably gonna get shipped off somewhere.

It would surely use the same engine at least with all the work they've done on engine features. I think the only reason for them to remove characters is if they've completely changed what the game is and the characters have to be rebuilt (like probably PvE). But if the fundamentals are still the same, I think all the characters remain. They've spent a lot of time on reworks for the characters that were struggling, so I don't think there's any character who is disposable. If they hated Brigitte they would rework her in OW1.

That said I could see them doing substantial kit changes that are maybe too disruptive for OW1. For instance say they wanted to make shields less prominent, so they do reworks of Rein/Orisa, and that necessitates balance changes across the cast.

Zek on
  • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    the point B respawn will be so good, except it won't matter in a lot of case. In QP if a team rolls point A, not a lot will change with rolling point B.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Sombra does need some reworks with hack like a shorter hack time, but one buff she deserves is with regards to the loser characters who place things on the field; if you hack a Torb. Baptiste, Symmetra, everything they put on the field goes down too. You want it to be an extension of the character, well here's the pitfall to that arrangement, especially if you won't give us ult for hitting those things on the field.

• MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I really don't want to see Hack prevent any more heroes from contributing for six seconds.

Musicool on
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
    Sombra's hack should instead only affect Bastion.

TexiKen wrote: »
    Sombra does need some reworks with hack like a shorter hack time, but one buff she deserves is with regards to the loser characters who place things on the field; if you hack a Torb. Baptiste, Symmetra, everything they put on the field goes down too. You want it to be an extension of the character, well here's the pitfall to that arrangement, especially if you won't give us ult for hitting those things on the field.

I endorse this message.

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    The only thing I'd say about making such a change is that Torb and Symmetra have tools that challenge a Sombra and stop her from dominating the space, but depending on their placement and situation, aren't immediate hard counters. Making those tools more easily countered by a Sombra hack means that players are more inclined to lean on hard stuns and CC in order to zone her out and in the greater context of teams I don't necessarily think of Torb and Symmetra's turrets as problematic as they are at the moment

I'm in support for adjusting her abilities in general though. Personally I'm kind of mulling over the idea of smaller/shorter but more frequent hacks, with slightly higher DPS but a bigger spread so it incentivises less downtime (which is the major shortcoming of Sombra's use imo) and in the long run would incentivise her to contribute to the brawl more effectively on average

But ofc this is all spitballing from mid-platinum rank at best so this is probably not a thought process worth following

BRIAN BLESSED on
    edited June 2019
    I mean, aren't they both still fairly niche characters? It seems kind of goosey to want a major nerf to one of the few things they can do really well at. Sombra gets a lot more play than either of them AFAIK.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    As someone that hates being shot by turrets more than anything else in the game, I'll mindlessly support anything that deletes them no matter how unfair or unbalanced.

Also, I got a play of the game earlier during a mystery heroes. It was just me kinda meandering around as torb, then hitting my E for no reason because I'm not sure what it does. Brilliant.

• RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    Sombra doesn't seem to be as useful as other characters. Maybe they should add something to hack to make them worth while, like increased damage taken. Or they could make her ability last longer, making her ultimate more useful.

When I play her, I don't seem to be as team coordinated as other conventional characters. Going behind the enemies makes her seem a bit solo oriented than the others.

oHw5R0V.jpg
    edited June 2019
    As someone that hates being shot by turrets more than anything else in the game, I'll mindlessly support anything that deletes them no matter how unfair or unbalanced.

If it's going to be a popularity contest, should they delete the snipers and Genji then? Lots of people find Sombra's hack really obnoxious. Lord knows Mercy would've been gone long ago. Hey let's just make everyone Soldier and call it good.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    They probably won’t buff Sombra more because right now, a Sombra player that knows what they’re doing and coordinates with their team dismantles the enemy like a professional mechanic and a cheap car.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    If you mess with Sombra you have to delete Bastion.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    Cantido wrote: »
    If you mess with Sombra you have to delete Bastion.

Sombra is hardly the only counter to Bastion or Bunker.

This discussion has been closed.