As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cyberpunk 2077 - It Can't Get Darker Than Night City, Right?

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Your character has an ingame model. So of you can change the body type before, freely and without male/female constraints, they do need modeling for it

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Your character has an ingame model. So of you can change the body type before, freely and without male/female constraints, they do need modeling for it

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that 'having a character model you can change' is not a herculean task when we already knew the game had character customization.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited June 2019

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that 'having a character model you can change' is not a herculean task when we already knew the game had character customization.

All character customization now is BIGGER/SMALLER/LONGER/SHORTER and stock facial features, with male/female models being explicitly separate for technical (and probably social) reasons.

They're talking about a level of customization that does not exist anywhere yet. And on top of that, each of the characters has to fit animation riggings, and all of the clothing/weapons/anything you wear has to also fit on those riggings. Having vastly different shaped characters makes this extremely difficult, and anyone I've listened to when it comes to this stuff will tell you it's no walk in the park.

Unless you're developing this shit for a living, I find it hard to believe you can make that judgment call.

jungleroomx on

All character customization now is BIGGER/SMALLER/LONGER/SHORTER and stock facial features, with male/female models being explicitly separate for technical (and probably social) reasons.

They're talking about a level of customization that does not exist anywhere yet. And on top of that, each of the characters has to fit animation riggings, and all of the clothing/weapons/anything you wear has to also fit on those riggings. Having vastly different shaped characters makes this extremely difficult, and anyone I've listened to when it comes to this stuff will tell you it's no walk in the park.

Unless you're developing this shit for a living, I find it hard to believe you can make that judgment call.

Can't believe Shadowrun: Boston Lockdown was the cutting edge of video games.

Or heck, aside from the gender stuff, APB had this stuff going a literal decade a go.

Saints Row had the voices and a slider for femme vs masc about five years ago.

But you're right, CDPR are saints who are breaking new ground and going beyond the pale. With no ulterior motive to finally giving a concrete answer to this question literally a week after they called called out for weirdly fetishisy art direction regarding trans people.

• HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Given the limited information CDPR has given about this, it seems like they've decoupled the voice lines for the player from the selected body type.

Ok, cool, but it's not groundbreaking.

sig.gif
  • GuildNavGuildNav Registered User regular
    edited June 2019

Can you please show me a clip of Shadowrun: Boston Lockdown where the protagonist model interacts with other models in the way we see in this (time-stamp: 2:24 ) clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LembwKDo1Dk&feature=youtu.be&t=144

I don't know enough about Shadowrun: Boston Lockdown to be 100% certain, but I am 99.999% certain that you're spreading completely incorrect information.

GuildNav on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I mean, them saying all this is all well and good but they've got an uphill battle to get goodwill from a lot of people. I'm probably far from alone in saying that I'll reserve judgement until we can actually see how it's implemented in the final product, and not just what a PR person is saying.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited June 2019

It's not and it's not even close to what CP2077 is saying they're allowing. SCBL is also made up of 20 polygon models with painted sleeves.
    Or heck, aside from the gender stuff, APB had this stuff going a literal decade a go.

Saints Row had the voices and a slider for femme vs masc about five years ago.

But you're right, CDPR are saints who are breaking new ground and going beyond the pale. With no ulterior motive to finally giving a concrete answer to this question literally a week after they called called out for weirdly fetishisy art direction regarding trans people.

:rotate:

Holy fucking shit yeah, you do you

jungleroomx on
    GuildNav wrote: »

Can you please show me a clip of Shadowrun: Boston Lockdown where the protagonist model interacts with other models in the way we see in this (time-stamped) clip:

I don't know enough about Shadowrun: Boston Lockdown to be 100% certain, but I am 99.999% certain that you're spreading completely incorrect information.

Wow you're right, this game does have a higher budget than a kickstarted and failed Shadowrun MMO.

Very astute observation. I'm in awe.

edited June 2019

Can you please show me a clip of Shadowrun: Boston Lockdown where the protagonist model interacts with other models in the way we see in this (time-stamped) clip:

Wow you're right, this game does have a higher budget than a kickstarted and failed Shadowrun MMO.

You claimed that Shadowrun: Boston Lockdown had these technological capabilities:
    They're talking about a level of customization that does not exist anywhere yet. And on top of that, each of the characters has to fit animation riggings, and all of the clothing/weapons/anything you wear has to also fit on those riggings. Having vastly different shaped characters makes this extremely difficult, and anyone I've listened to when it comes to this stuff will tell you it's no walk in the park..

I didn't make that claim. No one else did, either. You made that claim.

I just want to make it clear that you're lying.

GuildNav on

You claimed that Shadowrun: Boston Lockdown had these technological capabilities. Not me. Not anyone else.

I just want to make it clear that you're lying.

I do not know how much more obvious I could have made it but that was a joke, a funny. To point out that even a minor indy game most of you had to get google out over managed their own version of this within the budgets and systems they were working on. That it's not actually special outside of the games industry being fucking shitty about how it structures character creation and that it's not even novel to do it the way they're doing it.

It's great that they're doing it that way, it's just not worth applause and definitely not when it comes hot on the heels of their latest boo boo to act as a band aid.

I do not know how much more obvious I could have made it but that was a joke, a funny. To point out that even a minor indy game most of you had to get google out over managed their own version of this within the budgets and systems they were working on. That it's not actually special outside of the games industry being fucking shitty about how it structures character creation and that it's not even novel to do it the way they're doing it.

It's great that they're doing it that way, it's just not worth applause and definitely not when it comes hot on the heels of their latest boo boo to act as a band aid.

I'm assuming this post was a joke, too, then.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Stop being pricks please

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited June 2019

that really doesn't sound like a joke. This is one of the biggest RPGs of all times, in recorded voice and probably dedicated, not procedurally generated quest content.

Having the game make sense whatever matter of gender/nongender expression you choose is special. The execution is important, and it might be bad.

But attempting that actually IS a herculean task.

Edit: And especially, compared to any other AAA game out there.

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Yo Neokitsch looks rad as fuck. I can't wait to just see the crazy ass fashion and weird body mod augments that end up being in this. Hearing that one impression of the gunplay being a bit less than stellar is a bummer but hopefully it's more in depth than that person thought. I mean I thought that first Deus Ex remake was real good and this is looking similar but a lot more expanded.

Shit I'm going to have to buy a new video card or something aren't I

Also in that neokitsch tweet is that cat a person? I bet that cat has a human brain or something. It says you can be anything you want!

SniperGuy wrote: »
    Yo Neokitsch looks rad as fuck. I can't wait to just see the crazy ass fashion and weird body mod augments that end up being in this. Hearing that one impression of the gunplay being a bit less than stellar is a bummer but hopefully it's more in depth than that person thought. I mean I thought that first Deus Ex remake was real good and this is looking similar but a lot more expanded.

Also in that neokitsch tweet is that cat a person? I bet that cat has a human brain or something. It says you can be anything you want!

Well, tbf, combat in witcher 3 wasn't bad, it was even more than serviceable, but it certainly wasn't stellar..

Since they got shooter players to help them make their game, I'm pretty sure it will be at least better than serviceable, and won't be in detriment to the story

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    Fashion goal is definitely trying to look like a daft punk assassin.

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    I want to see what the midpoint between NeoMilitarism and NeoKitsch is. Would they be liked cyberpunk Hussars? RGBd body armor? Neon glow for stealth?

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Talith wrote: »
    I want to see what the midpoint between NeoMilitarism and NeoKitsch is. Would they be liked cyberpunk Hussars? RGBd body armor? Neon glow for stealth?

So do you think they'll demo full character creation at PAX besides releasing the demo?

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    More agendas in this thread than a bad corpo deal.

Love the look of the Corpo-Agent (complete with upturned nose) and how the style is consistent with the E3 2018 gameplay demo and "Agent Stout." Also I find all of those stylish, though I get where they are coming from.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
    ED! wrote: »

Fuck off with this kind of commentary please.

Tube wrote: »
    ED! wrote: »

Fuck off with this kind of commentary please.

It wasn't meant as commentary, simply a joke; but I guess we're long past that in the thread.

Talith wrote: »

Offensive strobe lighting with tactical mirror shades and taser fists.

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    "Jokes are apolitical" is and always has been thin, self-serving bullshit. Own up to what you say.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    milski wrote: »
    "Jokes are apolitical" is and always has been thin, self-serving bullshit. Own up to what you say.

How is this helpful in any way other than calling someone out so you can antagonize?

Banzai5150 on
    50433.png?1708759015
    I was not asking for an assist or a pile-on, thank you.

There's really nothing to "own up to." It was a joke, ill-timed and poorly delivered it would seem, nothing more.
    Banzai5150 wrote: »

How is this helpful in any way other than calling someone out so you can antagonize?

It's fine. It was an attempt to get folks out of attack(each other)-mode and it failed spectacularly. No reason to keep that rancor going.

• QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    I don't have a horse in the LGBTQ race, but I would rather be inclusive. Games haven't been really inclusive until just recently, and it's not universal. This isn't EA throwing a butch woman with a metal hand into WW2 and going 'look how inclusive we are'.

CDPR looks to be making an actual concerted effort and I'm looking forward to how it works out. Again, very few can give me a modern, AAA title that tried really hard to be very open to the LGBTQ community. I won't be preordering this, but mostly because it's immensely popular and I won't have to in order to snag a copy.

Two tweets from a guy that was fired is basically what's keeping some of the community from being open about the effort. And you might be right. CDPR has been unusually honest during it's existence as a developer, so I have a hard time believing getting successful and very popular has changed that without serious personnel changes.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Quiotu wrote: »
    I don't have a horse in the LGBTQ race, but I would rather be inclusive. Games haven't been really inclusive until just recently, and it's not universal. This isn't EA throwing a butch woman with a metal hand into WW2 and going 'look how inclusive we are'.

CDPR looks to be making an actual concerted effort and I'm looking forward to how it works out. Again, very few can give me a modern, AAA title that tried really hard to be very open to the LGBTQ community. I won't be preordering this, but mostly because it's immensely popular and I won't have to in order to snag a copy.

Two tweets from a guy that was fired is basically what's keeping some of the community from being open about the effort. And you might be right. CDPR has been unusually honest during it's existence as a developer, so I have a hard time believing getting successful and very popular has changed that without serious personnel changes.

I think this game especially lives and dies on how it deals with personal identity. If a cyberpunk open world RPG cannot grapple with 2019 social issues, then it has no business depicting a future where broader definitions of gender have been normal discourse for decades and then massively expanded by the introduction of biological and cybernetic modification.

Phillishere on
  • NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular

Well, tbf, combat in witcher 3 wasn't bad, it was even more than serviceable, but it certainly wasn't stellar..

Since they got shooter players to help them make their game, I'm pretty sure it will be at least better than serviceable, and won't be in detriment to the story

We must have played different versions then :D

I think this game especially lives and dies on how it deals with personal identity. If a cyberpunk open world RPG cannot grapple with 2019 social issues, then it has no business depicting a future where broader definitions of gender have been normal discourse for decades and then massively expanded by the introduction of biological and cybernetic modification.

It's a factor that's quite important to some. Some of us just want a cathartic game in a well established setting where I can be chrome and rad. I'd like that part of the game to be as open as possible as well. Seems CDPR agrees.

Basically from what I've seen, it would take a lot to disappoint me at this rate. I think it's silly to be so judgemental about a game that is trying to add several factors that, quite honestly, haven't been done by ANY AAA developer to date. The attempt is more than what 90% of the game industry does. Kinda just wish people would take a step back and get a grasp of what the undertaking entails before getting on their soapbox.

wbee62u815wj.png

It's a factor that's quite important to some. Some of us just want a cathartic game in a well established setting where I can be chrome and rad. I'd like that part of the game to be as open as possible as well. Seems CDPR agrees.

Basically from what I've seen, it would take a lot to disappoint me at this rate. I think it's silly to be so judgemental about a game that is trying to add several factors that, quite honestly, haven't been done by ANY AAA developer to date. The attempt is more than what 90% of the game industry does. Kinda just wish people would take a step back and get a grasp of what the undertaking entails before getting on their soapbox.

I mean, most game writing is trash. CD Projekt built its rep on being more literary and serious than their peers with the Witcher games. Now, they are expanding into a new genre for them, and they need to show they can adapt to its norms. If they can't handle themes William Gibson was working with in 1988, then yeah, that literary rep is just smoke and mirrors on top of a traditional AAA development house.

I mean, most game writing is trash. CD Projekt built its rep on being more literary and serious than their peers with the Witcher games. Now, they are expanding into a new genre for them, and they need to show they can adapt to its norms. If they can't handle themes William Gibson was working with in 1988, then yeah, that literary rep is just smoke and mirrors on top of a traditional AAA development house.

Yeah, the writing for Witcher 3 (only one I played) was really good. It'd be a shame to see that topple over in the face of a more complex and difficult IP, just to find out it was being propped up by the books. We don't really have a dev studio that kills it in the writing department anymore, do we?

Nyysjan wrote: »

We must have played different versions then :D

I played cat witcher on pc

basically

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m429ROXB6Q

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg

Yeah, the writing for Witcher 3 (only one I played) was really good. It'd be a shame to see that topple over in the face of a more complex and difficult IP, just to find out it was being propped up by the books. We don't really have a dev studio that kills it in the writing department anymore, do we?

Inkle is extremely good, but they are still small time.

I mean, CDPR chose the IP because they grew up with CP2020, and the books were apparently hot shit in Poland. I think most of us can agree that the attempt is valid, we're just concerned about if the attempt is enough.

wbee62u815wj.png

I mean, CDPR chose the IP because they grew up with CP2020, and the books were apparently hot shit in Poland. I think most of us can agree that the attempt is valid, we're just concerned about if the attempt is enough.

Yes, I think most of us have a vested interest in seeing this game do well for a variety of reasons, but I hope they stick the landing with some of the squidgier aspects of the society they're trying to portray.

• ChanceChance Registered User regular
    I don't want to get too deep in the weeds on cultural sensitivities, but I will say this: stuff that is both horny and disturbing or shocking or thought-provoking has always been one of the calling cards of the cyberpunk genre - or at least every example that's been important to me (The Fifth Element, Blade Runner, Ghost in the Shell, Total Recall). I'm not going into 2077 hoping for a horny experience, but if everything were as sanitary as, say, Deus Ex, I'd probably be disappointed.

That said, what I came to post is this:

I actively dislike The Witcher games. I have played and abandoned every. Single. One of them. All three. Put more time into 3 than the first 2 combined and still couldn't get past my distaste for the combat - but I find the world and detail and ideas that they've presented so far for Cyberpunk absolutely irresistible. I'm almost-definitely gonna' preload it on PS4 if that's an option.

Everything they've shown has felt fairly next-gen so far.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
    Currently my big whiplash on the horny angle is that it's kinda flat to insist that Mix It Up poster is them sending up corporations being gross and using sex to sell.

When the only ad for this game for years was of a woman in a similarly skin tight outfit.

But like, at this point it's kind of a non starter. There will seemingly continue to be issues with this game every time they show it because they're running the AAA version of horny teen 2020 campaigns and then the game will come out and either be worth the fuss or bland and still get 10/10's from people who don't give a shit past neon and borderlands but in a city gameplay.

• SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    I think it's silly to be so judgemental about a game that is trying to add several factors that, quite honestly, haven't been done by ANY AAA developer to date.

What are we talking about, exactly?

s7Imn5J.png