As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Castlevania & Bloodstained] sitting in a tree, S-L-A-Y-I-N-G

• No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    I may or may not have gone to bed early so I could wake up at 3am and play till 5am. Then back to bed for 4 more hours.

I regret nothing and all I have to say about the game is

• No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Alright, big confession time. Bloodstained looks cool, but I don't know if I want to pick it up, because I have never played SOTN or Rondo, so I'm not sure if Bloodstained will actually be up my alley gameplay-wise.

So, should I take the big chance and pick up Bloodstained, or pick up the Requiem double pack to see if IGA is my jam first?

Echoing what others have said, but have you played Dead Cells, Shovel Knight, or Hollow Knight?

How about Super Metroid on the SNES?

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I got my code for the Steam version but I think I am gonna hold out for my second Switch copy to arrive next week :P I really wanna play on the big screen in my living room :3

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Argh, I really wish this was a Vita/PS4 cross-buy. Shit, I wish it was on Vita period. I'm sure it runs fine, but I'm being paranoid about any issues playing on a vanilla PS4 when I have a really good gaming laptop. So, get it on PS4, get it for Steam, or wait for Switch? Decisions, decisions.

• IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    IceBurner wrote: »
    I still shake my head at all the doubt. Igarashi delivered six complete, polished games in this exact genre, worked on Rondo of Blood and its remake, plus the excellent Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth. He and his team even had time to give us Curse of the Moon, clearly demonstrating they could deliver not just a complete Classicvania, but more importantly, the tight platformer gameplay it shares with Igavanias.

So very many dev interviews across the industry echo that games only really come together at the end of development. While the core of Bloodstained's gameplay has been nailed down for about a year, the polish all came together only recently. That's typically how it is. I fully expected them to go nuts on the art & polish with the time they had left, given their history, though the special interactivity we had via Kickstarter may have helped shape the direction.

Mighty No. 9
    That's part of why I shake my head. They're hardly the same people, it does no one good to conflate them, and frankly I'm sick of it.

Keiji Inafune comes from a character artist backrgound, had zero 2.5D platformers under his belt, and the games he was producer for vary widely in quality. He had very little to do with the gameplay of classic Mega Man or even X.

Koji Igarashi comes from a programmer background, and is in large part responsible for the gameplay of Castlevania games from late 1990's up until the full 3D reboot. He has five 2.5D Adventure-Platformers to his credit, and one fully 2D title, all with very similar technical excellence and polish.

Of the two, only Igarashi was doing something he's done consistently before.

3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
    I will say, Igarashi has been refreshingly open and honest throughout this whole thing unlike Inafune who basically went radio silent until release. The last trailer they did where they called the old graphics "poop" is a perfect example of why I have a lot more confidence in this.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Mega 64 needs to do a bit with Igarashi.

Krathoon on
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    So my only experience with Castlevania is Ecclesia... how does this compare so far?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • ThePantsAssociationThePantsAssociation A million could-be years on a thousand may-be worldsRegistered User regular
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi7Wzl3YHjU

Well hey, look who decided to join the game.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

Tee hee.
    6ac6z5jma9xx.jpg

Talith wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi7Wzl3YHjU

Well hey, look who decided to join the game.

Ha that's amazing

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Judging by the latest update there's some shenanigans with the save game naming. Bighead and Nightmare were called out specifically.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I'm really happy seeing the positive reactions to this game.

• TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    I'm really happy seeing the positive reactions to this game.

Even more so when it's a kickstarted game. It's like please I need that vindication.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Alright, big confession time. Bloodstained looks cool, but I don't know if I want to pick it up, because I have never played SOTN or Rondo, so I'm not sure if Bloodstained will actually be up my alley gameplay-wise.

So, should I take the big chance and pick up Bloodstained, or pick up the Requiem double pack to see if IGA is my jam first?

Echoing what others have said, but have you played Dead Cells, Shovel Knight, or Hollow Knight?

How about Super Metroid on the SNES?

In order, Yes Yes Yes and a very sheepish No.

So basically I'm hearing that Bloodstained is good times and the gameplay should be My Jam.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    metroid-vanias have always been more metroid than vania

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Gotta wait til next week when my Switch copy arrives. Please run well on Switch, please don't be poop. Please don't make me wait an extra week for the poop version of the game.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Shovel Knight has a little bit of everything.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I just started playing it myself and it is immediately and so clearly a Castlevania. In spirit.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I impulsed the GOG version. Is there a way to get it to accept my Saturn USB controller's inputs?

wVEsyIc.png
  • chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    I've never played a Castlevania game, and am having a lot of fun with this so far.

Got to the end of the first map though, and not sure I'm supposed to be able to clear it all before moving on or not? Feels like a need a double jump or something to get to a couple of areas, but am afraid to move on incase you can't return and I'm just missing something.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I've never played a Castlevania game, and am having a lot of fun with this so far.

Got to the end of the first map though, and not sure I'm supposed to be able to clear it all before moving on or not? Feels like a need a double jump or something to get to a couple of areas, but am afraid to move on incase you can't return and I'm just missing something.

I am almost certain you're meant to revisit areas as additional methods of traversal become available. Double jump/high jump, swimming, flying, etc. it's a staple of the sub-genre since the beginning.

You'll be able to go back. There is stuff you intentionally can't get the first time through.

• chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    Ok thanks I'll move on then! I know it's the whole staple of the genre to get things that let you go back to stuff you couldn't get passed before, but I feel uneasy and unsure about what I'll be able to come back to every time I play a game like this.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Just got done my first session (~3 hours), game feels and looks great! Soundtrack is amazing, and I'm liking all of the design decisions so far. If I could place markers on the map and have an item that makes me move faster (which I'm sure will come later), this is definitely a top tier metroidvania title. Very happy to see the wait paid off. Gonna take a break and get some food before jumping back in.

• darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Likely will install tonight, but I probably wont really sink my teeth into it until my Switch copy shows up.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    Wow, I never anticipated this problem. By making candles have real light that affects the environment, I don't want to break them for goodies any more!

3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I'm getting this 2 days before I go on a 9 day vacation

=)

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Apparently Sony goofed and US PS4 backers won't get codes till tomorrow. :(

• OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Has that big day 1 patch been released already? Supposed to be pretty significant amount of content, but I haven’t heard anything specific.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »

I got a backer email that said that they were going to give out Steam codes so that you could play today if you wanted to.

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »

I got a backer email that said that they were going to give out Steam codes so that you could play today if you wanted to.

That was only for Asia and EU as far as I know. Regardless, I haven't received any such code.

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    The people who made this game deserve my money. I'll pay full price with glee.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    Boy I sure did get my ass kicked by the first not-tutorial-boss. This game isn't messing around.

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Just got done my first session (~3 hours), game feels and looks great! Soundtrack is amazing, and I'm liking all of the design decisions so far. If I could place markers on the map and have an item that makes me move faster (which I'm sure will come later), this is definitely a top tier metroidvania title. Very happy to see the wait paid off. Gonna take a break and get some food before jumping back in.

You can actually place two markers on the map, but they don't tell you about it for some reason. I discovered it by accident by pressing B on my XBox One controller and it placed a marker.
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Mega 64 needs to do a bit with Igarashi.

https://youtu.be/B5KOhJqNofs

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    The fact it has legit difficulty makes me excited. Many of the sotn Castlevania were way too easy

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I'm still trying to beat that small side game they released a while back.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    Listening to the Bloodstained soundtrack on youtube, the beginning of this song sounds kinda familiar :D
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNrF93QF8tc

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    The fact it has legit difficulty makes me excited. Many of the sotn Castlevania were way too easy

Theres a difficulty setting in the new game menu as well. starts out with only normal unlocked, but three levels were in the list.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum