As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Elden Ring] Has Shattered (CLOSED SPOILERS)

ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever warRegistered User regular
edited March 2022 in Games and Technology
https://youtu.be/2enbYOMtR4I
Platforms:
Microsoft Windows (Steam)
PlayStation 4
PlayStation 5
Xbox One
Xbox Series X/S

Release Date: February 25, 2022
PA Group/Community Password: Wang ('wang' and 'WANG' also used)

PS
Dignified Pauper

Xbox

PC
Forged from the minds of two of the most influential fantasy world builders today, Elden Ring brings you into a new and fully realized mythos. A collaboration between the creator of the critically-acclaimed Dark Souls series, Hidetaka Miyazaki, and the world-renowned writer George R. R. Martin, author of The New York Times best-selling fantasy series, “A Song of Ice and Fire,” this ambitious title combines their unique talents for creating elaborate characters, stories, and mythologies.

INTERVIEW WITH MIYAZAKI
Sam Wilkinson, Bandai Namco: First off, please tell me when and how development for Elden Ring took off.
Hidetaka Miyazaki, Game Director: Development for Elden Ring started just after development for the Dark Souls 3 DLC had ended. At the time, Elden Ring was being planned as a more classic fantasy title compared to others that were either being considered or already in the early stages of development.
We wanted to create a new dark fantasy action RPG full of things that we weren’t able to do in the Dark Souls series.
Wilkinson: What genre do you think Elden Ring will fall under?
Miyazaki: It is a third-person action RPG.
Unlike Sekiro, which has a heavy focus on action, Elden Ring puts more focus on RPG elements.
Of course, we are not shying away from the fun of responsive melee-based combat, and these elements will be present as well.
Wilkinson: Do you believe this title will turn out to be a very From-like and challenging game?
Miyazaki: Yes, I do. The importance we place on the joy the player experiences through overcoming challenges will be the same as it is in our other titles. I believe it will prove to be a very satisfying experience.
Earlier I had said that this title focuses more heavily on RPG elements. This title will include a wide variety of weapons, magic, and ways to engage enemies, that make it possible to provide users with a style of gameplay and strategy that suits them.
Even when compared to the Dark Souls series, I believe this title will provide even more variety in the ways for players to overcome challenges and tweak their tactics when facing enemies.
Wilkinson: Will Elden Ring contain character customization elements like in Dark Souls, or will it be similar to Sekiro in that there is a fixed protagonist that the player controls?
Miyazaki: Yes, it will contain character customization elements.
Similar to the Dark Souls series, Elden Ring allows players to design and control their own unique character. As I said earlier, this title puts a heavy focus on RPG elements, and we thought this approach would best suit that focus.
Wilkinson: Regarding the collaboration with George R. R. Martin, can you further explain how this collaboration came about and in what role it has served throughout the project?
Miyazaki: I suppose the start of this collaboration came from the fact that I myself am I huge fan of Mr. Martin’s work.
I loved “A Song of Ice and Fire” as well as the “Tuf Voyaging” series, however if I had to pick a favorite I would probably say “Fevre Dream.”
I personally see “Fevre Dream” as a masterpiece among vampire fantasy and had even previously recommended it to all new employees.
Me being such a known fan of Mr. Martin caused our executive business director Eiichi Nakajima to reach out to him with the expectation that we would get turned down.
However, we were then given the rare opportunity to talk one-on-one with Mr. Martin which was an incredibly fun and stimulating experience. It was then that I strongly felt that I wanted to work with Mr. Martin.
I am still unable to put into words how grateful I am to Mr. Martin for agreeing to our offer.
The actual collaboration itself begun with Mr. Martin ever so politely confirming what sorts of themes, ideas as well as many game-related aspects I had envisioned for the game.
This allowed us to have many free and creative conversations regarding the game, in which Mr. Martin later used as a base to write the overarching mythos for the game world itself.
This mythos proved to be full of interesting characters and drama along with a plethora of mystical and mysterious elements as well. It was a wonderful source of stimulus for me and the development staff.
Elden Ring’s world was constructed using this mythos and stimulus as a base. Even I myself find it hard to contain my excitement from time to time. We hope that everyone else is looking forward to the world we have created.
Wilkinson: What are some differences when compared to your previous titles (especially Dark Souls)?
Miyazaki: If I were to put aside the world full of fresh stimulus thanks to our collaboration with Mr. Martin, I would have to say the biggest difference is it being open world.
Due to this, the scale of the world and its narrative, as well as the depth and freedom of exploration have increased dramatically. It is without a doubt our biggest title yet in terms of sheer volume.
There are many definitions to the term “open world,” and I might not be phrasing it correctly, but we have simply tried our own approach to a game with a large, open field to play in.
It is a world full of danger and threats, as well as many areas ripe for exploration.
Among those areas, you will also find intricately designed, multi-layered castles and such.
Wilkinson: What is the meaning behind the title?
Miyazaki: Elden Ring is the name given to a mysterious concept that defines the world itself.
As the trailer at the conference implied, this “Elden Ring” has been shattered. The significance of this will be one of the important themes of the game.
That’s about all I can say at this point in time (laughter)
Wilkinson: Will Elden Ring contain the gritty, intense boss fights we’ve all come to love and expect from From?
Miyazaki: Yes, of course. Boss fights are something we enjoy making and make up one of the climaxes to this title as well. We feel there is a wide variety of unique and horrifying bosses for players to look forward to.
Wilkinson: What can you teach us about the character shown in the concept art that was released?
Miyazaki: We chose this character because of his eccentric aspects as well as the way he portrays the darkness that the world and story possess.
While Elden Ring may be a classic dark fantasy title, it is more than just that.
This character also represents one more theme in addition to the previously mentioned eccentricity.
That theme is the will, or ambition of mankind.
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/06/09/hidetaka-miyazaki-and-george-rr-martin-present-elden-ring/
Official Tips/Info
DA7jCZr.jpgEe1hC6o.jpg
EjXKVKq.jpgeTPQ2NK.jpg
Trg64nK.jpg4CQ5Ihu.jpg
hpY17vY.jpgFq9X2Ta.jpg
Technical Info

A duck! on

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    The way the people's skin is shown to be cracked like clay is awesome. I'm excited for this game!

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Fromsoft and specifically Miyazaki made this an instant day one sight unseen. The addition of GRRM writing the mythos is just icing on an already delicious cake.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Wilkinson: What can you teach us about the character shown in the concept art that was released?
    Miyazaki: We chose this character because of his eccentric aspects as well as the way he portrays the darkness that the world and story possess.
    While Elden Ring may be a classic dark fantasy title, it is more than just that.
    This character also represents one more theme in addition to the previously mentioned eccentricity.
    That theme is the will, or ambition of mankind.

U8GmDXO.jpg

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    It sounds like this game might be "Ashen, but it's fun to fight things and you have build and enemy variety".

Which sounds like a 10/10 game.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I'll probably play this.

Maybe I'll then stop playing an hour in when I get to a boss fight I am incapable of beating, if this is keeping with the difficulty trend of these games lately.

But I'll play it.

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    That hood is incredible

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    Fromsoft and specifically Miyazaki made this an instant day one sight unseen. The addition of GRRM writing the mythos is just icing on an already delicious cake.

Unfortunately, this game is an allegory for the Jets.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    George R R Martin: Literally doing anything other than finishing Game of Thrones. :D
    george-r-r-martin-keeps-procrastinating-rather-than-work-on-the-9774958.png

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    My warm take is that this is a better use of his time than more ASoIaF.

Anyway this looks DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Argh... I want to play this game but with FromSoftware attached to it I know it's going to be ball busting and I get no enjoyment from those games.

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    Argh... I want to play this game but with FromSoftware attached to it I know it's going to be ball busting and I get no enjoyment from those games.

If it's like Dark Souls, it's only hard at first, but doesn't ramp up all that far beyond what it initially expects from you.

If it's like Sekiro, yeah, fire up CheatEngine if you wanna see it all without busted balls.

• Options
    HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

FromSoftware games eventually teach you the tools you need to no longer fear ball busting. It's worth the short term pain. Try this one out. Maybe it will go differently for you this time.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I mean, I would wait for reviews on how it actually works.

• Options
    Honestly, I don't think you can have build variety and Sekiro style difficulty at the same time.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    IGN has conducted an interview with Miyazaki where he revealed there will be horse riding to traverse the large open world, as well as that there won't be any NPC towns/cities
    With a customizable character, the player will be able to traverse through the world on a horse and can find enemies while riding it.

According to Miyazaki, there will be no towns or cityscapes with NPCs to interact with in Elden Ring, but you can expect village ruins in a similar vein to his other titles.

“Creating a new type of game is a big challenge for us. If we would add towns on top of that, it would become a bit too much, so we decided to create an open world style game focused on what we are best at.”

• Options
    I haven't played Sekiro, but Bloodborne was the hardest for me because of limited build variety (and shaky summoning).

Dark Souls 3 meanwhile is pretty easy, probably because there's a zillion build options. You can make it hard on yourself, but for the most part it's a pleasant experience.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I want to see actual gameplay before I raise my expectations on this

But if it has invasion mechanics, I'm IN

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    I actually want to see the game credits, so we can determine whether this "stimulus" is a decent sized game-bible or a one hour chat with GRRM over coffee.

Still, I'm buying anything that FS does, despite SEKIRO being a big meh (yes the combat was interesting but man was the world fucking boring). I'm guessing this is their return to Dark Souls without actually calling it Dark Souls which I'm OK with. The open-world though is going to be interesting and I'm curious how they are going to pull it off given how tied they are to the really well done world design in DS and Bloodborne for example (and SEKIRO too with it's level design. . .still boring).

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    The appropriate response, I feel:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt5Q9hu0h0s

I’ll no doubt get this one too.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Just saw this, Bandai has confirmed Elden Ring is coming to PS4, not just Xbox. No word yet on what PC distribution platforms.

Zavian on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Probably leaving it open to see how much money they could get from Epic first lol.

• Options
    Initially I figured this was next-gen. It'll probably cross generations, but...

Does this mean it's actually quite far along already? 2020 release?

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I can't decide if I want that or not, 2020 already has every single game coming out in it.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    The Sauce wrote: »

Every FROM game since Dark Souls 2 has released in March, so March 2020 is likely....unless they decide to avoid that already extremely packed month. Which would probably be the smart thing to do right now.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    The Sauce wrote: »

Well, Dark Souls 3's last DLC was released March 28th, 2017, so over two years at this point. For reference, Dark Souls 3 vanilla took three years, Sekiro a little over three
    Hidetaka Miyazaki, Game Director: Development for Elden Ring started just after development for the Dark Souls 3 DLC had ended.

Zavian on
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    From a gameplay perspective, I do hope open world means less lolgotcha game play.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    From a gameplay perspective, I do hope open world means less lolgotcha game play.
    "Hey guys, this Zombie Penguin guy doesn't like our gotcha stuff!"

"Don't worry about it, Steve, I'm about to implement the overworld's giant, undead trap-door spiders."

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    "Hey guys, this Zombie Penguin guy doesn't like our gotcha stuff!"

"Don't worry about it, Steve, I'm about to implement the overworld's giant, undead trap-door spiders."

... Admittedly if they're as funny as the catacombs skeleton Boulder was, I'm down.

(I had to much fun 'helpfully' leading people into that/spooking them into it in ds3)

Edit: I should clarify that my main objection to gotcha gameplay is that it completely kills the tension in a replay of the game. I love a good challenge in games, but to often the dark souls series left me feeling like 'and here I pull out my bow and plink stuff down' because I know xyz 'orrible trap is about to happen.

Like give me surprising shit like the Skeleton Boulder - just don't rely on SAHPRISE ENEMY so often, if that makes any sense?

The Zombie Penguin on
    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    I like gotcha enemies because after being surprised by them I can surprise them later on by not walking into their trap.

"Haha, got you, fucker!" in reverse is great, but I understand it if you're not into it.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I hope they don’t release in a packed month because I find it much more enjoyable to play their games as part of the zeitgeist. I would like a good empty like month to focus down on it.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Also, regarding release date, this is probably definitely just an oversight, but it's a pretty big one
    qR5vosW.jpg
    https://www.fromsoftware.jp/ww/index.html

• Options
    edited June 2019
    I will eat my own dick if Elden Ring releases this year.

Put me on the list.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    IGN has their Miyazaki interview up, linked below. Here are some highlights:
    Instead of creating Elden Ring’s main story, Martin wrote about a time long before the era the player actually explores.

“It really is like a guide for the world’s lore, and therefore feels quite different from his novels. As someone that loves to learn about a world’s setting, it was very exciting to read,” Miyazaki told me.

"The period the player actually explores is still connected to the old times, so as you slowly discover why the world has become the way it is, you will learn more about Martin’s mythology as well. "

Miyazaki did say that he and his team enjoyed portraying NPC characters in a more detailed manner for Sekiro, and with Martin’s mythology as a source of inspiration, he believes that Elden Ring’s NPC characters are more compelling than in his previous works.

https://m.ign.com/articles/2019/06/21/elden-ring-is-an-evolution-of-dark-souls-says-creator-a-e3-2019

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    I found the World of Ice and Fire and Fire & Blood books to be really compelling, despite just being fictional history books for a world that doesn't actually exist.

Martin writing the history of the world sounds like it could be really awesome to me.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular

I feel like Sekiro had a lot less of that kind of thing? There were very few moments where I felt the game designers were just being mean for laughs, which I felt a lot when playing the Dark Souls games the first time.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Every time I see this thread title I read it in John Rhys-Davies‘s voice.

Everyone should.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    KetBra wrote: »

I feel like Sekiro had a lot less of that kind of thing? There were very few moments where I felt the game designers were just being mean for laughs, which I felt a lot when playing the Dark Souls games the first time.

Honestly, I feel this is mostly just an issue in DS2. It's one of the core aspects of the game's major flaw, i.e. that it feels much worse the first time through than the second or ninetieth.

• Options
    Rami wrote: »
    I found the World of Ice and Fire and Fire & Blood books to be really compelling, despite just being fictional history books for a world that doesn't actually exist.

Martin writing the history of the world sounds like it could be really awesome to me.

GRRM's an awesome world builder. He can't write plot or characters worth a damn, but he's great at detail oriented lore. Perfect fit with Miyazaki's weird bullshit in my opinion.

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »
    Rami wrote: »

GRRM's an awesome world builder. He can't write plot or characters worth a damn, but he's great at detail oriented lore. Perfect fit with Miyazaki's weird bullshit in my opinion.

As much as I LOVE Soulsborne lore, it can be very 'fill in the blanks' at times, so having GRRM writing a whole lore book that they're drawing from is honestly a brilliant idea IMO and the main reason I'm super hyped for this game. I LOVE when there's some deep lore to dig in (one of the reasons why I'm a huge Warhammer 40K fan despite never even having played the tabletop game). It's playing to GRRM's strengths I think. This quote in particular from Miyazaki highlights why:
    “Storytelling in video games – at least the way we do it at FromSoftware – comes with a lot of restrictions for the writer. I didn’t think it was a good idea to have Martin write within those restrictions. By having him write about a time the player isn’t directly involved in, he is free to unleash his creativity in the way he likes. Furthermore, as FromSoftware we didn’t want to create a more linear and storydriven experience for Elden Ring. Both issues could be solved by having Martin write about the world’s history instead.”

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Eeeeeh you folks excited for today? There's gotta be some news right
    There might even be some gameplay footage! Right?

Peas on
This discussion has been closed.