As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cyberpunk 2077 - It Can't Get Darker Than Night City, Right?

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I'll be impressed by a character creator when it lets me make a fat girl. I think Saints Row is the only series that lets you do this.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Really ground breaking?

Have we gotten to the point where people think decoupling identity from the character creator is somehow this amazing never been done before thing?

I mean good on them for trying at least but
    They still have a lot to do to show me they really mean it.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    I'll be impressed by a character creator when it lets me make a fat girl. I think Saints Row is the only series that lets you do this.

Anarchy Online let you get pudgy.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Bigity wrote: »

I...

Anarchy Online is still a thing that exists?

I think

I think you just broke me

• Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I do hope that you can save apparel sets in Cyberpunk 2077. Be nice to be able to change style on the fly and can see me spending a fortune buying clothes.

“Just finished running some black market supplies for that Corp, now I can buy that sweet jacket that makes me look like a electric peacock.”

Genji-Gloves on
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

Dragon's Dogma

My adventuring team were a tiny, wizened old man and a massive bulky lady

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular

Dragon's Dogma

I was disappointed in the level of obesity I could bestow upon characters after trying to make Don Quixote's sidekick, Sancho Panza. The Don Quixote it let me build was basically perfect, though.

• BobbleBobble Registered User regular

I...

I think

They're not beholden to your rules, man!

I...

I think

Yup - in fact, this year they started a new realm that re-released the game from scratch over time. I think they are up to like 175 level caps. And Notum wars/shadowlands expansion content.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

I distinctly remember it was an option in APB: Reloaded. I mean, there is a practical limit to "fat", but on top of being a fairly unscientific qualifier anyway, that's true to some degree in real life re: human mobility anyway.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Dark Souls games let you make your character pretty fat but those aren't really RPGs except in the loosest sense.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

I distinctly remember it was an option in APB: Reloaded. I mean, there is a practical limit to "fat", but on top of being a fairly unscientific qualifier anyway, that's true to some degree in real life re: human mobility anyway.

APB had a rather impressive character creator and not just in the physical aspect, but even giving you a fair amount of freedom in how your character wears their clothes. Still puts most modern games to shame. Actually that game had an incredible amount of freedom when it came to customizing just about everything.

The rest of the game was ho-hum. Dumb fun to be had though.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »

APB had a rather impressive character creator and not just in the physical aspect, but even giving you a fair amount of freedom in how your character wears their clothes. Still puts most modern games to shame. Actually that game had an incredible amount of freedom when it came to customizing just about everything.

I kept it around purely as an appearance generation tool for characters in the d20 modern game I was playing at the time, back when I used to actually play tabletop games.

Impressively comprehensive. Granted, everyone just ended up wearing the same white collared blouses, but still. I wish that particular part of it was still accessible (also, when you could actually "saddle up" four to a sedan and go drive-bying, years before GTA V, it was a great treat).

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Quiotu wrote: »
    I don't have a horse in the LGBTQ race, but I would rather be inclusive. Games haven't been really inclusive until just recently, and it's not universal. This isn't EA throwing a butch woman with a metal hand into WW2 and going 'look how inclusive we are'.

CDPR looks to be making an actual concerted effort and I'm looking forward to how it works out. Again, very few can give me a modern, AAA title that tried really hard to be very open to the LGBTQ community. I won't be preordering this, but mostly because it's immensely popular and I won't have to in order to snag a copy.

Two tweets from a guy that was fired is basically what's keeping some of the community from being open about the effort. And you might be right. CDPR has been unusually honest during it's existence as a developer, so I have a hard time believing getting successful and very popular has changed that without serious personnel changes.

I think this game especially lives and dies on how it deals with personal identity. If a cyberpunk open world RPG cannot grapple with 2019 social issues, then it has no business depicting a future where broader definitions of gender have been normal discourse for decades and then massively expanded by the introduction of biological and cybernetic modification.

I don't think being inclusive is necessary to target sales figures, being a brofest where you can only play as a white male might even *increase* their revenues in the USA. For evidence I would cite the vast majority of popular games ever, including CDPR's own previous title

Please don't take this to mean that I don't think they should make a massive effort, I am really glad that they are making that effort, but I don't think you should assume they *have to* to do well financially, given literally every other triple A game out there where the best you can expect is a single trans NPC

I think the efforts they are taking shouldn't have derision as the immediate reaction (and I'm not saying that's what everyone is doing, I've seen some INCREDIBLY well put together and thoughtful critiques and I desperately hope CDPR and the industry as a whole is listening), because I would bet other triple A studios are looking at much of this and saying "Yeah, lets stick to white male gruff protagonist in power armor"

override367 on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

saints row 2 had the right idea with gender being a slider

obF2Wuw.png
  • lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular

Tomorrow is the day if you want a physical copy of the PC edition.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • kaidkaid Registered User regular

Dragon's Dogma

Dragons dogma allowed for some hilarious stuff. LIke I had a huge bulky dude with a giant viking beard and flowing lady hair with a pawn who was was as small of a guy as you could make with a squeaky voice whom I would carry over my shoulder and deploy into combat by throwing him at my opponents.

Saints Row 2 had the right idea about so many things

we will never see its like again

• kaidkaid Registered User regular

HAHAH yes my friends first character was named buckwheat who was a fat dude with an enormous afro. He got a lot of great comments by people in that game.

• DeansDeans Registered User regular

I kept it around purely as an appearance generation tool for characters in the d20 modern game I was playing at the time, back when I used to actually play tabletop games.

Impressively comprehensive. Granted, everyone just ended up wearing the same white collared blouses, but still. I wish that particular part of it was still accessible (also, when you could actually "saddle up" four to a sedan and go drive-bying, years before GTA V, it was a great treat).

My favorite thing was using the sticker and tattoo editor to make entirely new clothes. Also I basically had infinite money from selling a sticker that was a perfect recreation of a My Little Pony cutie mark (Rainbow Dash).

Deans wrote: »

My favorite thing was using the sticker and tattoo editor to make entirely new clothes. Also I basically had infinite money from selling a sticker that was a perfect recreation of a My Little Pony cutie mark (Rainbow Dash).

Hah, I loved that game's creator, I did the same thing with a whole suite of Fox News themed criminal vehicles

edited June 2019
    edit: oops

override367 on
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I think the expectations that this game will "live or die" based on its political statements are not likely.

I'm really hoping 2077 has really good modding opportunities.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    It's not going to live or die by its political statements. It's just either going to truly be Cyberpunk and a good game with a well done world that embraces what our new dystopias are, or it'll be a popular but vapid shooter with some chrome and neon painted on.

What is this I don't even.
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    I think the expectations that this game will "live or die" based on its political statements are not likely.

I very much would like it to become my Skyrim replacement as giant open world RPG that can be heavily edited to give complete changes to the game (I mean I also just want to run through the story as vanilla first)

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular

I very much would like it to become my Skyrim replacement as giant open world RPG that can be heavily edited to give complete changes to the game (I mean I also just want to run through the story as vanilla first)

May as well give those modders something to work on, they're certainly not working on Fallout 76... and maybe not another Bethesda IP again.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-06-20-cd-projekt-red-everyone-is-feeling-the-pressure-on-cyberpunk-2077
    In an interview with Kotaku, the firm talked about a new policy of "non-obligatory crunch," in an effort to eliminate the feeling that staff must work excessive hours.

The interview was read by everyone on the team, Tomaszkiewicz tells us, and generally it has gone down well amongst the staff.

"When the article came out, that piece with Adam and Marcin, everyone in the office obviously read it and we had discussions about it," he tells us. "I would say it was a very positive thing. I think it worked well for us. Everything that was necessary to say about the subject was said during that specific interview. I'd say it had a positive impact for the company and on people's morale."

Tomaszkiewicz notes that the "non-obligatory" part of the policy -- an element that has faced some criticism -- comes from the fact that some of the studio's staff simply want to put in the extra hours.

"It's especially visible not just in games but in the industries where you work on projects that you are passionate about and you want to deliver something special. Artists, I believe, crunch; movie makers, painters, sculptors and so on... When you create something with passion and you want it to be really, really good, you're willing to go this extra step for it."

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    And suddenly my slowly elevating hype levels plummet back down.

Nyysjan wrote: »

Based on what? That some people are in fact, work-a-holics of their own volition? Or that people passionate about their work often work just for personal satisfaction? Or where you even referencing that article at all?

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

Based on what? That some people are in fact, work-a-holics of their own volition? Or that people passionate about their work often work just for personal satisfaction? Or where you even referencing that article at all?

It is an extremely common situation in workplaces with "voluntary" policies like this are actually managed in a way to make them non-voluntary. The only way to prevent that type of coercive pressure is to ban the practice, not move it from mandated to "a sign of commitment to your job." So, people are a little salty that CD Projekt went from one bad workplace practice to one that sounds better, but may even be worse in practice.

It is an extremely common situation in workplaces with "voluntary" policies like this are actually managed in a way to make them non-voluntary. The only way to prevent that type of coercive pressure is to ban the practice, not move it from mandated to "a sign of commitment to your job." So, people are a little salty that CD Projekt went from one bad workplace practice to one that sounds better, but may even be worse in practice.

And it is equally common, in my experience, that people just like to work sometimes. Even in the DoD and USAF there were guys that stayed late - and we didn't care for them because of it, for reasons in line with what you say. So I get ya.

• Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular

So what you’re saying is that the folks who aren’t working extra hours aren’t passionate about their work? Because that’s what’s usually trotted out when folk defend their ‘voluntary’ overtime practices.

History has given folks plenty of reasons to look seriously askew at the “we don’t make people work extra hours, they just do it because of the passion for the work.” Especially when you start asking things like ‘So how are they compensated for this extra work?’.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2019

And it is equally common, in my experience, that people just like to work sometimes. Even in the DoD and USAF there were guys that stayed late - and we didn't care for them because of it, for reasons in line with what you say. So I get ya.

I’m kinda in this boat myself.

If I know I can finish whatever I’m working on in an hour or two I’ll stay later instead of leaving it for tomorrow. Even though I totally could do that and many others do do that.

I personally do it because I don’t know what tomorrow may bring. Something may come up that is a major priority and if I had unfinished work it’d have to wait even if that work was pretty important too. Which has happened to me before and is why I adopted the policy I have.

However I do not expect my coworkers or subordinates to do like me. When 5 o’clock rolls around and they wanna go home that’s perfectly fine (I usually do too). Though occasionally we do need to finish something before the next business day simply due to the logistics of it all, but fortunately those days are few and far between.

Edit- though I do remember one day a couple employers ago where we had to work 26 hours straight. This was an extraordinary circumstance in which once we started the job we couldn’t stop until it was done. Basically for every hour the company was losing tens of thousands of dollars. So, yeah, I understand the need. Six of those hours was travel to the job site and my home, which the company didn’t have to pay us for, but did anyway and I had the next day off. Not bad altogether. Plus side I was hourly and not cheap. My paycheck for that two weeks was fucking amazing.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I need more agrees for what Axen said. Maybe if I stay late (just a little)...

So what you’re saying is that the folks who aren’t working extra hours aren’t passionate about their work? Because that’s what’s usually trotted out when folk defend their ‘voluntary’ overtime practices.

History has given folks plenty of reasons to look seriously askew at the “we don’t make people work extra hours, they just do it because of the passion for the work.” Especially when you start asking things like ‘So how are they compensated for this extra work?’.

Nope, didn't even cross my mind.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    If you stay late to get work done you should get paid overtime.

Salary under the 100k range is a scam.

• TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    If you stay late to get work done you should get paid overtime.

Salary under the 100k range is a scam.

Exactly. I stay late all the time for special projects because I don’t have kids/a family to attend to, but they can either pay me the OT or expect to not see me on Friday.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    If people were talking about hour or two every few weeks or so, with appropriate overtime bonusses, i would not mind.
    But that's not when people talk about crunch.
    And in an industry not notorious for abusing their workforce i might be less cynical about "voluntary crunch".
    But no, trying to paint this just as "people being passionate about their jobs" and "couple extra hours here and there" is not well supported knowing how the gaming industry tends to treat its employees, and knowing the stance the studio in question has had in the past on the issue.

Like how just couple years back their response to complaints about crunch was that their approach to development "is not for everyone", yet this year they've admitted that Witcher 3 crunch period was not humane.
    No, i am not going to believe anything they say about "non mandatory" crunch or overtime, not with their history.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-10-16-cd-projekt-red-responds-to-glassdoor-reviews
    https://www.gamebyte.com/cd-projekt-red-admits-crunch-period-for-the-witcher-3-was-not-humane/

edit-

Nope, didn't even cross my mind.
    Well nice for you.
    It does cross lot of minds, and lips, often of those in charge of projects and hiring/firing.

Nyysjan on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    A work environment where you don’t have to crunch but you can if you want leads to some employees deciding to crunch and others deciding not to

Guess which ones get passed over for raises or promotions or etc etc etc

When it’s optional, only the ones going “above and beyond” are considered to be ideal employees

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    A work environment where you don’t have to crunch but you can if you want leads to some employees deciding to crunch and others deciding not to

Guess which ones get passed over for raises or promotions or etc etc etc

When it’s optional, only the ones going “above and beyond” are considered to be ideal employees

It's akin to how unlimited vacation time becomes "No one takes vacation" in practice. There's a reason why both C-suite executives and unions - i.e. those in position to negotiate - want their required contributions and compensation written out in minute contractual detail.