As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Apex Legends] Battle Royale from the makers of Titanfall. High OCTANE gameplay!

• DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Elite queue is such a simple but awesome thing

You get two moments of victory per win. Makes for some fun “just try to survive!” hijinks

My group hasn’t gone very deep in like two nights of trying. But we are getting a lot of wins in both queues in the process. Funny how a simple thing can respark interest in a game for me.

616610-1.png
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I swear the hit detection on the triple take is screwed up. I have sheen shots go through people at range.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    I swear the hit detection on the triple take is screwed up. I have sheen shots go through people at range.

The split-shot thing leads to some really weird placements past about 100' for sure.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    So uh, that shield change is rough as hell. I'd be in full support of it if it moved a little slower.

Having my entire team running and dying in shrieking terror as a giant doom wall consumed them in the first wave is funny at least.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Shield Change?

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Damage ring change, I assume.

It's brutal but I like it. I'm also glad it's only in the Elite queue.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »

I managed to lose my Mirage Stealth Mission (team bailed pre-drop) to Ring 4 due to trying to avoid an airstrike last night after making it to me vs one remaining team; late-ring equivalent damage is no joke. Should've just rushed the dude and hoped.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Arteen wrote: »

Ah, yeah. We just call it the shield. "Here comes the shield." I think I like it but we haven't fully adjusted our play style for it. You basically need to be moving inward as soon as you land if you're in the wrong spot, not even waiting for the first collapse, because it will find you, and it will kill you.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    FYI they're changing the circle damage in the Elite queue again to make the first circle a little bit less punishing:

"Around 4pm PST today, circle damage in Elite Queue will be the following:

First circle now does 7% damage per tick [previously this was 15%].
    Second circle does 15% damage per tick
    Third circle does 20% damage per tick
    Remaining circles do 25% damage per tick."

• FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    PUBG had a similar issue early on where good players realized you could just hang out outside the circle until the very end basically finding gear.

Glad to see the change, especially with the rewards for finishing top 5/etc I was seeing a lot of lame/boring play. (Totally acceptable but still lame/boring)

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    I do feel that maybe a slight damage ramp with a long cool down to not incur less than max damage would be interesting.

Like right now if a loot box is 10 feet outside the ring, it might as well be a thousand. Same goes for trying to grab a banner. Ramping up the damage over something like 10-15 seconds, and making it so that it doesn't reset the ramp for 1-2minutes. Probably won't happen, and the current death ring is better than the normal ring tickle damage on round 1 and 2.

Oh man, they released season 2 patch notes and they're excellent looking. Buffs for the goofy sidearms that no one wants. It might actually be possible to run an end game combo of an RE-45 and a mozambique.

A bunch of usual "trying stuff out tweaks" like ammo stack mods. The shotgun change will be brutal but I think it might be correct.

And lastly some sort of full auto energy rocket launcher that looks amaaaaaaziiiing.

https://www.ea.com/games/apex-legends/news/season-2-weapons-update

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »

That's about the "Flyers" (alien dragons) that are in the game as of yesterday. They fly around with deathboxes and you can shoot at them to make them drop them

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    full auto energy rocket launcher
    LMG, not RPG.

It says LMG but it fires explosive area of effect projectiles so... I'd say tomato tomahto.

It says LMG but it fires explosive area of effect projectiles so... I'd say tomato tomahto.
    I don't think it does? They say the projectiles have a large hitbox, that might be what you're thinking of.

cB557 wrote: »
    I don't think it does? They say the projectiles have a large hitbox, that might be what you're thinking of.

Ohhh. You're right

Anyway, I've previously expressed that I want the L-Star in this game so I'm glad it's coming. A weapon with proper slow projectiles where you'll have to start leading your shots at pretty close ranges will be a nice weird addition to the sandbox. I hope this is just the start, because as I believe I've also previously expressed, I want the TF2 grenadier weapons to make it into this game. The Cold War, now that's a proper weird fuckin gun. A short charge time before firing a five shot burst of arcing projectiles that splash on impact. That'll make for a bunch of new options in firefights.

I haven't touched this game in almost a month but I'm so ready for Season 2, the weird stuff with the flyers and leviathans moving closer and whatever has me pretty hyped for what they're planning for the map, the sandbox changes look good, it's all very exciting.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Neat

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Woop. Been looking to hop back into Apex. This looks sweet.

Peen wrote: »

More like too slow beast.

I will be the hype beast

It's a different trailer

Steam ID
  • Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    Damnit Apex I have been away for a while safely. You making it hard to stay committed to other games.

As if I'd repost myself, psh

I only got to like, level 39 with the last Battle Pass because I played sporadically, lot of cool stuff but I don't know if I think it'll be worth it this time around. Still, a lot of cool additions.

I will be the hype beast

It's a different trailer

Bamboozled.

edited June 2019
    I actually played for a bit last night and I haven't been keeping track of patches but apparently they've done some work with hit registration (however that works) because my shots actually hit people consistently. That takes this game to a whole other level, lemme tell you what.

Peen on
    edited July 2019
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuqnLGbjhkY

Edit: Good post here by the devs about how the ranked match system will work.

Peen on
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    It's a little weird that your Rank doubles as currency that you spend to play matches, but overall that sounds like a very well-sculpted system that hopefully helps players evaluate their play in ways that extend beyond "did I win?"

Yeah it's a more visibly transactional form of ranking than I'm used to. Will be interesting to see how well it works and feels

Steam ID
    The more visible cost of matching may help dissuade anyone above silver from rapid suicides into firefights seeking kills. Noticeably paying a cost may make matches feel valuable?

I think I like it.

I like the pretty serious penalties for quitters in ranked, I hope it works.

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »
    It's a little weird that your Rank doubles as currency that you spend to play matches, but overall that sounds like a very well-sculpted system that hopefully helps players evaluate their play in ways that extend beyond "did I win?"

I think that was phrased in a confusing way, but really it's just the way they've implemented the typical rank drop from losing. If you lose badly, you gain no points, and you've lost that amount of rank because of what you spent to start the match. But from the outside it works like a relatively normal ranking system. Do well and you gain rank, do badly and you lose rank.

It sounds too easy with the numbers they've provided though. Your ascent to silver is literally guaranteed with play time, and getting through gold as well is easy if you just make top 10 and occasionally get a kill. But I dunno, maybe the outcome of that really is decent skill rating.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    If it works like Overwatch, Gold is pretty much "average" with Platinum being where the game gets sweaty

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Yeah, I think after this season Bronze will literally be only new players, and Silver will at least be people who are familiar with the game, and Gold will be where experience kicks in. Which sounds good enough to me.

KoopahTroopah on
    Yeah, silver being almost guaranteed will hopefully actually provide a place for total noobs to familiarize themselves without hating the game.