As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

QUILTBAG: It’s Pride Time

• Options
    mori1972mori1972 FF14: Rhotfyr Thosinmharsyn (Y)UKRegistered User regular
    @Erin The Red Good luck with everything Erin and hope it all goes absolutely swimmingly for you!

@credeiki Literally nothing I can add or really contribute other than :bro:

It's all saltwater these days:
    Ocean, tears and heartbreak soup
    Half alive in a whitecap foam
    Half in love with a white half moon
  • Options
    MsAnthropyMsAnthropy The Lady of Pain Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm The City of FlowersRegistered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    Wow those Trans conversations sure are loaded, huh?

CW: a decent amount of talk about TERFy bullshit. Author is not a TERF but some people in the article are.

I fucking hated that article. The way the author describes the (voiceless) trans partner she ends up leaving. The way she pits non-binary identities as being somehow antithetic to lesbian identities. Not noting how it is kind of fucked up that trans men seemed to be welcomed at this cruise aimed at lesbians while trans women will apparently make everyone uncomfortable (which shows just what all these people really think of our identities regardless of how the younger ones are trying to be ‘supportive’). The whole thing just made my skin crawl.

Luscious Sounds Spotify Playlist

"The only real politics I knew was that if a guy liked Hitler, I’d beat the stuffing out of him and that would be it." -- Jack Kirby
  • Options
    aStoryAboutYouaStoryAboutYou Registered User regular
    Yeah the cruise article hasn't sat in my brain terribly well esp as a woman with an NB partner, and as a trans woman who has a lot of fear of how older cis lesbians will receive us.

On the upside, we're going to dyke march in NYC next week and that's always a reminder that cross generational solidarity is possible and more common than my doomsaying brain sometimes thinks. So ready to cry with joy in the streets again 😭

oWv6S12.gif
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    MsAnthropy wrote: »

CW: a decent amount of talk about TERFy bullshit. Author is not a TERF but some people in the article are.

I fucking hated that article. The way the author describes the (voiceless) trans partner she ends up leaving. The way she pits non-binary identities as being somehow antithetic to lesbian identities. Not noting how it is kind of fucked up that trans men seemed to be welcomed at this cruise aimed at lesbians while trans women will apparently make everyone uncomfortable (which shows just what all these people really think of our identities regardless of how the younger ones are trying to be ‘supportive’). The whole thing just made my skin crawl.

I've been thinking about this a lot since I posted my initial positive reaction yesterday, and yeah the more I actually thought about what she was saying, the less I liked it.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Later in the week, Tisha Floratos, the vice president of travel for Olivia, told me that she and her staff think about this a lot. “We’ve talked about how we begin to promote inclusivity while also preserving our core: that this is a company for lesbians. We don’t publicly, historically, say that we’re trans inclusive, but we’re always welcoming to our trans guests.”

That's an attitude which I read as meaning this experience would be unsafe for me as a trans woman to attend.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    MsAnthropy wrote: »

I couldn't actually finish it.

By the time I got to to the third or fourth Trans point I was mentally exhausted.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    "We're always welcoming to trans women, we just don't want to say they're welcome... What do you mean 'contradiction'?"

• Options
    InfamyDeferredInfamyDeferred Registered User regular
    What really got me was the cruise line's assertion that the only two options are terfboat and welcoming gay men. Like, they could offer separate terfboat and trans-inclusive cruises in proportion to what their customers want, letting the terfboat option slowly dwindle as opinions change over time

But no, they're pretty clearly committed to picking a side there. Rather burn the space down than ask a single terf to challenge their preconceptions. Don't offer a space where anyone might presume a trans woman isn't a drag queen.

I do hesitate to fault the author for any of that though - better to report the reality than to whitewash it or leave it out. Let Olivia cruises tie their own PR rope. The author did also choose to include a swing at AfterEllen for its bigotry, too. Not highlighting the inconsistency of "people might be uncomfortable around someone who looks like a man" and "trans men are welcome" was definitely a mistake.

I sort of chalked the drab way she described her previous partner to the way people feel when they get out of a failing relationship. Even among people who find androgynous presentation attractive, there's still space between practical and quiet androgyny (my favorite) and stylish, deliberate androgyny (my wife's favorite), and it just sounds like the author needed the latter in a partner. That, and someone who hasn't cheated on her... Kinda hard to be neutral about that.

• Options
    MsAnthropyMsAnthropy The Lady of Pain Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm The City of FlowersRegistered User regular
    What really got me was the cruise line's assertion that the only two options are terfboat and welcoming gay men. Like, they could offer separate terfboat and trans-inclusive cruises in proportion to what their customers want, letting the terfboat option slowly dwindle as opinions change over time

But no, they're pretty clearly committed to picking a side there. Rather burn the space down than ask a single terf to challenge their preconceptions. Don't offer a space where anyone might presume a trans woman isn't a drag queen.

I do hesitate to fault the author for any of that though - better to report the reality than to whitewash it or leave it out. Let Olivia cruises tie their own PR rope. The author did also choose to include a swing at AfterEllen for its bigotry, too. Not highlighting the inconsistency of "people might be uncomfortable around someone who looks like a man" and "trans men are welcome" was definitely a mistake.

I sort of chalked the drab way she described her previous partner to the way people feel when they get out of a failing relationship. Even among people who find androgynous presentation attractive, there's still space between practical and quiet androgyny (my favorite) and stylish, deliberate androgyny (my wife's favorite), and it just sounds like the author needed the latter in a partner. That, and someone who hasn't cheated on her... Kinda hard to be neutral about that.

Still think the author has issues of her own to work out. Like, non-binary identities should not be blamed for the dearth of queer spaces! There’s also a history of portraying trans and nb people as kind of helpless, pathetic people that form part of the ambient background in which the author is writing which I just find gross. Overall, I just came away feeling like the author was the type of person who—if I knew her—would be positive and supportive to my face, but would deep down partly finds the existence of people like me and my nb friends disgusting.

Luscious Sounds Spotify Playlist

"The only real politics I knew was that if a guy liked Hitler, I’d beat the stuffing out of him and that would be it." -- Jack Kirby
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Yeah there's a lot of performative allyship, which I mean literally in that it's allyship that's entirely rooted in saying the right things when it's convenient to, in that article and not a lot of active advocacy. A lot of talks about changing minds, but a lack of challenging the systems and an unwillingness to actually take actions. And the author's own comments make it feel like trans issues are a secondary concern to her, which is kind of the problem with cis allyship because it means they will always spend (as the author does) more time thinking about how the changing queer landscape affects their identities and their history rather than what is driving the change and whether that change is necessary. Which in practice always winds up as litigating to what degree we get to be treated as human beings. Weighing the comfort of cis women and the safety and acceptance of transgender people as, at best, equal concerns.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    The author does that thing where trans men and nb masc people are just counted as women which...yeahhhhhh no

I do understand it’s complicated and the boundaries between dyke lady and nb person and trans man are kind of blurry and weird and not the same for every person, and there are people who still want to be part of a primarily women identified lesbian community while doing a deep dive into masculinity

I actually kind of liked her description of this certain class of immature androgynous disaster bois because um wellllllll

In general, the way in which there’s this aura of panic around ‘more people are identifying as different genders!’ is obnoxious and feels so very specific to someone who only occupies certain types of queer spaces. I hardly see that in my life, and when I do, it’s a struggle and brave attempt by the person doing this gender re- identification, not like...idk some free floating trend that is changing the youth face of my gay bar.

Oh semirelatedly, the lesbian bar in DC (a league of her own) is super trans accepting and my trans friend really likes it (and it’ll like close down to have private parties celebrating a bartender’s gcs; stuff like that.) not relevant to anyone here except @InfamyDeferred who is vaguely local maybe

credeiki on
    Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    InfamyDeferredInfamyDeferred Registered User regular
    I'd heard good things about it! I even had plans to go with my wife and her work friends, but it fell through. I'll have to see if they wanna try again

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    In terms of advocacy for LGBTQ folks by not LGBTQ folks I consider verbal support .01% of the equation and actual action as 99.99% of the equation. So if someone wants a pat on the back for saying they support queer rights I'll give them the slightest movement of my hand. They get the .01% of a pat on the back.

• Options
    credeiki wrote: »
    The author does that thing where trans men and nb masc people are just counted as women which...yeahhhhhh no

I do understand it’s complicated and the boundaries between dyke lady and nb person and trans man are kind of blurry and weird and not the same for every person, and there are people who still want to be part of a primarily women identified lesbian community while doing a deep dive into masculinity

I actually kind of liked her description of this certain class of immature androgynous disaster bois because um wellllllll

In general, the way in which there’s this aura of panic around ‘more people are identifying as different genders!’ is obnoxious and feels so very specific to someone who only occupies certain types of queer spaces. I hardly see that in my life, and when I do, it’s a struggle and brave attempt by the person doing this gender re- identification, not like...idk some free floating trend that is changing the youth face of my gay bar.

Oh semirelatedly, the lesbian bar in DC (a league of her own) is super trans accepting and my trans friend really likes it (and it’ll like close down to have private parties celebrating a bartender’s gcs; stuff like that.) not relevant to anyone here except InfamyDeferred who is vaguely local maybe

Yeah I'm definitely not going to criticize nonbinary folks or trans men who feel a connection with lesbian communities, because, well, a lot of nonbinary and transmasculine folks first find queer kinship in lesbian spaces, and I know that they often struggle to find non-lesbian spaces they can fit into, but I'm highly questionable on whether anyone other than those people themselves has a right to talk about whether they belong there, and in general, while the need for spaces that feel safe for various queer people is important, the rigid definition of those spaces based on gender labels does more harm than good and leads to a lot of ouroborean litigation over who has a right to said safe spaces.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    There should be a terfs only cruise. Into the sun.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I talked to a guy on dating site who assumed I was a gay man dressing up as a woman - presumably so I could have sex with straight men (he tried to redirect me to a gay dating site)

Different constellation but basically the same idea

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Straight men are notorious for being extremely good at sex

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2019/06/20/she-was-once-first-lady-she-is-buried-next-her-longtime-female-partner
    Rose met Evangeline Simpson in the winter of 1889-1890, less than a year after her brother left office for the first time. (Cleveland is the only two-term president not to have served his terms consecutively.) They probably met in Florida, where both spent the season making the rounds among the nation’s wealthier families. Rose was 43 and never married. Evangeline was probably 33 and had inherited a fortune from a late husband nearly five decades her senior.

The love letters begin in April 1890, once the two returned to their respective homes. (Evangeline lived in Massachusetts.)
    Because only Rose’s letters survive, we know little of how Evangeline responded. But, on a few occasions, Rose quotes Evangeline’s letters in her own: “Oh darling, come to me this night — my Clevy, my Viking, My — Everything, Come! God Bless Thee.” Rose flirtatiously replied, “Your Viking kisses you!”

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    how long should you work with a team before you tell them you use they/them pronouns? They seem super open minded but idk. Partially de closeting myself at work seems risky.

21stCentury on
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    how long should you work with a team before you tell them you use they/them pronouns? They seem super open minded but idk. Partially de closeting myself at work seems risky.

ASAP is best. You've been thinking about this forever; take the plunge! Life improvement goals: Step #1, change your job, step #2 get a condo, step #3, change your pronouns?

also--you're HR, yes? And they're HR? Of all people, they're not going to say anything shitty, because they are most cognizant of lawsuits.
    Do you think your team knows what they pronouns are or will you have to explain the concept?

Also: you do not have to explain your gender identity, reasons, feelings, etc. You can just say: hey, by the way, I use they pronouns in my social life so I'd like to use them at work with you guys as well. Or just: hey, I use they pronouns. Yes it implies something about your identity, but you don't have to go into it and they probably won't ask unless they are close to you.

credeiki on
    Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    As a manager, if you trust your manager you might want to give them a heads up first so that they can support you if anyone gives you any grief about it. A good manager should be able to set a tone that makes it clear that it's ok and good to address you with whatever pronouns you want.

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    My name change paperwork has been filed! Now to wait for my court date to be assigned.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Does anyone in the thread have an opinion, or can point me to someone who does, about the trans imagery in Cyberpunk? I am curious how people reacted. Also I had a bi women in a lesbian marriage ask me how I knew I was bi if I had never been with a man which caught me off guard so bad I almost stumbled. It's weird how people who should know better will still ask stupid questions.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    Does anyone in the thread have an opinion, or can point me to someone who does, about the trans imagery in Cyberpunk? I am curious how people reacted. Also I had a bi women in a lesbian marriage ask me how I knew I was bi if I had never been with a man which caught me off guard so bad I almost stumbled. It's weird how people who should know better will still ask stupid questions.

I really don’t want to have an argument about that please.

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    You'd think people would be smart enough to know "oh how do you know you're bi/pan?" "oh well see I have been sexually attracted to the ladies and the dudes and the others."

It'd be totally unhelpful but I'd be tempted to retort "well how do you know you're a lesbian?"

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »

Not looking for an argument, somewhere other than the forum would work as well. Like I said just curious.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »

Not looking for an argument, somewhere other than the forum would work as well. Like I said just curious.

It's a very toxic point right now. It's best left alone.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    God, what a year! In just six months, I've come out everywhere and done way too many updates for name change stuff. I graduated, which my parents didn't show up for which still sucks but that gets better with time (and my friends were there, so fuck 'em). I had to move because of aforementioned parents, but now live with my rad friends in a place stupid close to work! Now I'm trying to find better-paying work to fuel my transformation into a demon goddess.

Last year I went to Pride, I was in the closet and went alone. This year I'll be going with a bunch of friends and ransacking the clothing exchange because damn I need girl shirts. Next week is two years on HRT. Feelin' good.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Latest Daniel Ortberg newsletter seems relevant to recent discussion here
    Hey, I just wanted to let you know that I overheard you guys talking about trans inclusion, and I mostly wanted to say, as a trans man who feels super welcome at this specifically women’s-only event, I really appreciate it, and to thank you all on behalf of trans women for being so inclusive. I don’t happen to see any trans women here at the moment, but I feel really welcome, and I assume those things are directly transferable. If I were a trans woman, and you all treated me the same way that you treat trans men – which I assume you do - I’d feel super welcome, just very relaxed and easy-going.

I imagine all the trans women are carpooling here, so they’ll probably show up later? But I feel think it’s pretty safe to assume that they’re all super comfortable and relaxed and on their way, and they’ll probably appreciate my saving them some time by thanking you in advance. Because, right, if it’s a women’s thing, but you all still want me here for this exact, again pretty-specific women’s thing because you sort of think of me as my birth sex no matter what, then by the transitive property you’ll have no trouble at all seeing trans women as women whose own particular needs, experiences, and desires really matter to the community. Like, I know transmisogyny is a real problem for trans women. And I guess when you think about it, I’ve experienced transphobia, and I’ve experienced misogyny, so I have suffered from transmisogyny too, thanks for putting it that way. It’s basically just the same thing: we’re all suffering from transmisogyny, and if you’re happy to offer me a place here conditional on my assigned sex and birth, then later – when all the trans women show up – they’re going to feel so great. You know? I can’t wait to tell them how inclusive you guys have been towards me. I don’t really think it’s super-important to dwell exactly on why you’ve all been super inclusive towards me, or what the obvious counterexamples might be, I’m down to just assume it’s for great reasons. When they get here later, I’ll be sure to let them know I’ve already thanked everybody on their behalf, so they don’t have to.

What’s up? Hmm?

Whoa, that’s heavy. Well, uh, I hope you and trans women can find a way to work it out, that definitely sounds rough. It really sounds like more of a personal issue between you two, but good luck, for sure have some good luck.

• Options
    Latest Daniel Ortberg newsletter seems relevant to recent discussion here
    Hey, I just wanted to let you know that I overheard you guys talking about trans inclusion, and I mostly wanted to say, as a trans man who feels super welcome at this specifically women’s-only event, I really appreciate it, and to thank you all on behalf of trans women for being so inclusive. I don’t happen to see any trans women here at the moment, but I feel really welcome, and I assume those things are directly transferable. If I were a trans woman, and you all treated me the same way that you treat trans men – which I assume you do - I’d feel super welcome, just very relaxed and easy-going.

I imagine all the trans women are carpooling here, so they’ll probably show up later? But I feel think it’s pretty safe to assume that they’re all super comfortable and relaxed and on their way, and they’ll probably appreciate my saving them some time by thanking you in advance. Because, right, if it’s a women’s thing, but you all still want me here for this exact, again pretty-specific women’s thing because you sort of think of me as my birth sex no matter what, then by the transitive property you’ll have no trouble at all seeing trans women as women whose own particular needs, experiences, and desires really matter to the community. Like, I know transmisogyny is a real problem for trans women. And I guess when you think about it, I’ve experienced transphobia, and I’ve experienced misogyny, so I have suffered from transmisogyny too, thanks for putting it that way. It’s basically just the same thing: we’re all suffering from transmisogyny, and if you’re happy to offer me a place here conditional on my assigned sex and birth, then later – when all the trans women show up – they’re going to feel so great. You know? I can’t wait to tell them how inclusive you guys have been towards me. I don’t really think it’s super-important to dwell exactly on why you’ve all been super inclusive towards me, or what the obvious counterexamples might be, I’m down to just assume it’s for great reasons. When they get here later, I’ll be sure to let them know I’ve already thanked everybody on their behalf, so they don’t have to.

What’s up? Hmm?

Whoa, that’s heavy. Well, uh, I hope you and trans women can find a way to work it out, that definitely sounds rough. It really sounds like more of a personal issue between you two, but good luck, for sure have some good luck.

This is good shade

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    You'd think people would be smart enough to know "oh how do you know you're bi/pan?" "oh well see I have been sexually attracted to the ladies and the dudes and the others."

It'd be totally unhelpful but I'd be tempted to retort "well how do you know you're a lesbian?"

I always revert to hair colour in these discussions

e.g.: "I've never had sex with a person with black hair, but I still know whether I'm attracted to them"

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Today

Was a good day.

Left my house as my real self for literally the first time ever. It was just to a friend's house, 2 other people, both in the know and cool, but still.

The drive was petrifying; the sun was still out, which meant some other people would also see me, sort of. But that faded after like 10 minutes.

It felt great. Still feels great! Just to live a little bit of actual life out there. Instead of the awkward discomfort my fear told me to expect, I was the most comfortable there I can remember ever being.

Yes, I think this might have to become more regular.

Fleur de Alys on
    Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I shaved my beard off yesterday

I really really hate how my face looks without it, but I also don't like having it, so I guess I am hoping this just prompts some serious dedication to losing some more weight from me

really not looking forward to having people comment on the lack of beard when I next see people for the next two months though. I wish there was a way to just telepathically tell everyone to not comment on it before they see me, without it being awkward to do so lol

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    would a “shaved my beard, don’t make it weird” facebook/twitter post be out of the question

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    maybe. it's sort of a weird cross between wanting to not draw attention to it but also not wanting to hear any comments about it either. I think I just need to suck it up and trust that most of my friends aren't gonna be jerks about it anyway

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited June 2019

Platy on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »
    maybe. it's sort of a weird cross between wanting to not draw attention to it but also not wanting to hear any comments about it either. I think I just need to suck it up and trust that most of my friends aren't gonna be jerks about it anyway

Ah-HA it's me, the biggest jerk you know!

You're handsome with or without facial hair, you goober! You got one o' them faces what's nice, it doesn't need any accoutrements.

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Also

You all weren't kidding - the pickle cravings are real

My workplace recently started stocking pickle pops to help with summer heat stress (mostly for employees working outdoors)

I am in heaven

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    I think I'm going to my first pride event on Saturday. Interested to see what it will be like. Apparently there's going to be lots of drag performers. Which made me wonder, because I don't really know much about drag, is drag purely a queer thing? Do straight people do drag?

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Straight people do engage in drag, though I would assume they make up less than a percent of the total drag population.

This discussion has been closed.