As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Plug 'n Play Paradise: The Most 'Mini' Thing About Genesis Mini 2 Is How Many They'll Make

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Man, just looking at the controls on that Star Wars game makes me feel old.

I'm excited about the TurboGrafx Mini (though is it just me, or does it look as big as the original?), I just hope Konami does it right.

I'll have to see what other games I'd like on there, but the Bonks and Zonks are at the top of my list.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I always thought it was funny (as in hilarious) that the TG16 was deliberately made twice the size of the PC Engine to appeal to the American audience :lol:

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    that neogeo thing had very bad emulation, too, on top of bad video.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    that neogeo thing had very bad emulation, too, on top of bad video.

Assuming you mean the Neo Geo X--yes. The handheld device, by its very nature, could disguise some of that...but I hadn't encountered anyone in the fan base SNK was targeting who was desperately chasing a Neo Geo handheld (the PSP already existed). They wanted a good home device, a AES simulacrum that didn't cost the same hundreds of dollars and saved you from chasing down decades-old worn out ROM boards which could run you even more.

It's no wonder that it failed. The Neo Geo Mini was much more modest, cheaper priced, and for a novelty probably had better emulation overall.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Betsuni wrote: »
    forty wrote: »
    Yeah, as neat an experience as that was in 1983, I would get bored of playing that in about 5 minutes today.

I'm not attacking you or insulting you, but I find it neat that a lot of people are this way these days. It is like those stories you hear when you are a kid from your Uncles, Parents, etc. about the "good old days" when a kid could have fun with a stick and a hoop, a few rocks and an empty field, or whatever stories you used to hear.

Now I'm that old person talking about how I find more fun playing my old Atari games and old arcade games over the newer stuff these days. Yeah, there are a bunch of newer games that I do have fun playing as well (Diablo 3, MechWarrior Online, Breath of the Wild, etc.) but I do find myself playing old Atari games a bit more these days. Even found myself playing the Arcade Star Wars game last week on my RPi since my GameCube's controller is starting to go soft.
    No insult taken. As a kid in the 80s, my family's first home console was an Atari 7800 and (over time) a collection of a few dozen Atari games mostly obtained from resellers and garage sales (we had few game boxes or instruction booklets). In hindsight, most of our games were Atari 2600 games, with only a few 7800 games. I loved playing those games when it was all we had and it was the most modern stuff I knew. Even after getting an NES, I think I still played Atari from time to time when I was bored with or frustrated at my NES games. But by the time I was on to playing the SNES, I think we had pretty much boxed up the Atari.

I'll still play even NES games these days (via a Retropie I put together for my girlfriend). Hell, over the last couple years I've played through a fair number of NES Games, some of them being ones I'd heard were good but never got to try in my youth, others being ones I wanted to revisit. Mega Man 1-6, LoZ (which I never quite beat as a kid), Kirby's Adventure, Chip 'n' Dale RR, Ducktales.

But there's something about the extremely shallow/simple gameplay loop of the Atari era arcade style games that just has almost no appeal to me anymore. 5-10 minutes of Centipede and I've had enough. I feel like I've experienced all the game has to offer -- besides just the inevitable difficulty ramp-up (e.g., faster enemies, more enemies, etc.).

forty on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Yeah. Atari games mostly just crank up the difficulty and have no real ending.

They really capitalized on home consoles being a new market.

Was Adventure the first adventure game? The adventure games like Raiders and E.T. had actual endings.

Krathoon on
  • Options
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I remember playing atari as a kid in the basement as a lid. But Nintendo really changed games. Games had stories, endings, actual progression.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    I remember playing atari as a kid in the basement as a lid. But Nintendo really changed games. Games had stories, endings, actual progression.

“Now you’re a kid!”
    “Now you’re a lid!”

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I believe Adventure is credited as being the first non-text based adventure game.

• Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    I believe Adventure is credited as being the first non-text based adventure game.

And I think Adventure did have an ending, didn't it?

• Options
    JOE_1967 wrote: »

And I think Adventure did have an ending, didn't it?

Yeah. I think all of the Atari adventure games had endings.

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    I'd like to see some Neo Geo Pocket Color games get re-released on something. There were some terrific games on that thing (I've long regretted selling mine, that was a very dumb move). It would be nice to play Biomotor Unitron, Faselei! and Card Fighters Clash again. 3DS would have been a great home for them, but that ship has long sailed... maybe phones? Hmm.
    @Jazz I think there was a sequel to Card Fighter's Clash on the DS.

It made some changes to the rules that I think broke the game, so I didn't buy it, but it's out there!

The OG Card Fighter's Clash is the best video-game CCG ever.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    I'd like to see some Neo Geo Pocket Color games get re-released on something. There were some terrific games on that thing (I've long regretted selling mine, that was a very dumb move). It would be nice to play Biomotor Unitron, Faselei! and Card Fighters Clash again. 3DS would have been a great home for them, but that ship has long sailed... maybe phones? Hmm.
    Jazz I think there was a sequel to Card Fighter's Clash on the DS.

It made some changes to the rules that I think broke the game, so I didn't buy it, but it's out there!

The OG Card Fighter's Clash is the best video-game CCG ever.

I'm not into CCGs, never was. Never been my thing. OG Card Fighters Clash is literally the only one that's ever caught my attention. I remember it being good.

• Options
    61xf9i3WqKL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

There it is.

I remember having a good experience with the Gameboy pokemon ccg.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I sold my NGPC like a decade ago when I was in a financial squeeze. I miss that machine.

I wish they would do a collection on Steam, I'd love to play those games again.

• Options
    Just curious: Did TurboGrafx-16 have a good slogan I can throw into the thread title?

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Just curious: Did TurboGrafx-16 have a good slogan I can throw into the thread title?

“look, do you really want to go to two more stores trying to find the Genesis your kid asked for, or is the little brat just going to get what he gets and zip it?”

• Options
    "Does what Nintendon't, and is what Genesisn't."

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited June 2019

I don't know about a slogan, but they did have Johnny Turbo to promote the TurboDuo.

jt1-3.jpg

(The system those goons are selling is the "FEKA-CD")

edit: more info on Mr. Turbo here

SteevL on
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Johnny Turbo is a legend. A bit weird how quick he resorts to violence. But apparently justified in the end. Also weird that they make the primary selling point the fact that they were first to market, as if that automatically makes it better.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    The truly wacky thing is that Johnny Turbo is now schilling old Data East games.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Apparently, SNES Aladdin is better than Genesis Aladdin. So says Jeremy Parish.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    I'd forgotten about Johnny Turbo. :lol:
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    The truly wacky thing is that Johnny Turbo is now schilling old Data East games.

Wasn't he based on like a real dude? Is that who you're referring to?

Jazz on
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular

I agree with Jeremy. Genesis Aladdin has way better animation but I don't think it's a very fun game.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular

I agree with Jeremy. Genesis Aladdin has way better animation but I don't think it's a very fun game.

The Genesis Aladdin devs had access to actual animation cels from Disney if I remember right.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I could never get out of the Cave of Wonders in Genesis Aladdin as a kid. I always thought it was weird I was so good at the SNES version but not that one.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Anybody who says snes alladin is better than genesis is on something or has some serious bias. It's a known fact the Genesis version is superior.

• Options
    91zngiZAgtL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

?

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I HAD THAT! I spent a lot of time on it and the Genesis one, but I think the SNES is equally as good as the Genesis one. Just a different game.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    RickRude wrote: »
    Anybody who says snes alladin is better than genesis is on something or has some serious bias. It's a known fact the Genesis version is superior.

You’re probably right. I’ll concede that alladin on snes isn’t as good as on Genesis.

Aladdin, on the other hand, is definitely superior on snes.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I think the main reason people have more nostalgia for the Genesis version is because the Genesis library was pretty weak compared to Super Nintendo. SNES players were too busy with the greatest 2D console library of all time to put much time into some licensed games with beautiful graphics but merely okay gameplay.

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular

There’s a “Johnny Turbo’s Arcade” series of arcade releases on Switch, and maybe other systems. Why they are using a long forgotten ...mascot? to sell Burgertime is anyone’s guess.

• Options
    Those Johnny Turbo ads were quite a thing. I always thought it was a sign of weakness when ads would trash the competitor. If they had to resort to that it meant they didn’t have shit to sell their product with.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    I think the main reason people have more nostalgia for the Genesis version is because the Genesis library was pretty weak compared to Super Nintendo. SNES players were too busy with the greatest 2D console library of all time to put much time into some licensed games with beautiful graphics but merely okay gameplay.

Its the third best selling game on the Genesis. Its not like there weren't more than two decent Genesis games and people just defaulted to Aladdin to fill out their library. Aladdin SOLD consoles because the animation that fully reflected its license was that strong, and the gameplay was at least passable.

Nintendo explicitly created DKC as a direct counter to the Genesis Aladdin. Because they recognized that graphical spectacle was costing them sales and they finally fired back with something that took full advantage of their own hardware. Sega's response to that was... freaking Vectorman. They clearly lost that round.

• Options
    That was always my opinion as well, but it could be because the Genesis version is far more cheap and unforgiving.

• Options
    Yeah, Johnny Turbo is on Twitter, and even follows me. I have no idea why, but it's pretty cool that he does.

And this has given me an idea for the thread title... let me know what you guys think.

• Options

There’s a “Johnny Turbo’s Arcade” series of arcade releases on Switch, and maybe other systems. Why they are using a long forgotten ...mascot? to sell Burgertime is anyone’s guess.

Because of Jonathan Brandstetter. Johnny Turbo is based on him, and now he's working with whoever has the rights to Data East stuff.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    You know.... I don't think I ever saw Johnny Turbo when I had the TurboGrafx back then. All my other friends had Nintendos or Segas and had no clue what the heck a NEC was.

Those were the days... I loved buying TG-16 games at Toys R Us (the beautiful walls of games). God I miss those days. When you would go and walk down the aisle and see games after games. All there (on flip cards of course) showing the front and back of the box. My brother and I would study them all and figure out which one we wanted. Then after the negotiation or compromise ended, we'd grab that paper tag. Walk to the Cashier and hand it to them. Get the receipt and then hand it to the "game counter person" (I think they were just the backroom employee at the front) who would magically produce the box of awesomeness. This was also the experience I had when buying Atari games earlier in my gaming life.

I have to say the thread title is great!

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    If I recall, Johnny Turbo was introduced after the TG-16 was on its last legs and most people had stopped paying attention.

Man. There was literally zero places in my midsized town to actually buy a TG-16, but the system was available for rent at Hastings, a now-defunct blended media place. I'd rent one and a pile of games for a weekend once or twice a year and go to town.