As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Compromise

13»

• Options
    OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    Remember when E3 was press only?

Starting to think maybe that was for the best after all.

Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Remember when E3 was press only?

Starting to think maybe that was for the best after all.

I do remember that. But I remember when they went through a "too many non-press people" phase before, and they tried trimming it all back to press-only and that didn't really work.
    Industry analyst Michael Pachter said that because consumers had been eliminated from attending the events, there was little external media coverage of these E3's, reducing the visibility and commercialization opportunities for publishers, and postulated that without a change, E3 would become extinct.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Wait isn't micheal pachter routinely wrong though?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Enh, probably. Though he's pretty much commenting on what happened within his industry (the electronics press), so I'd say he's on more solid territory. After they went this direction, Nintendo and EA pulled back from E3. And E3 did eventually reverse course, so they considered the smaller press-only event a failure.

I think the reality is that E3 probably just doesn't fit in anywhere very well anymore. It was created in quite a different era than today, when people needed to go to a place and report on things, and publish their accounts in magazines and for a limited number of TV news outlets. It can't really turn back the clock and be a relevant player anymore. It continues to try to figure out a way to survive. I think it will eventually just morph into another con, as it becomes less and less relevant with the way product announcements and news work now.

• Options
    OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    I mean, it'd really be for the best IMO if it were press and invited influencers only. That way you get less Dr Disrespects and more people like The Completionist, GamingBolt, and Outside Xtra who will cover E3 without making it about themselves.

E3 doesn't have to be ComicCon for gamers, especially when we already have so many cons in the US alone anyway.

Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Dr Disrepect is an influencer though.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    Let's have only press and influencers who don't commit crimes.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    He would 100% be invited

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I'd read an article about the word asshole. Hit me up with that biz

Not quite what you're asking for, but still relevant for this thread:
    nf17n0e1r2ot.jpeg

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »

Enh, probably. Though he's pretty much commenting on what happened within his industry (the electronics press), so I'd say he's on more solid territory. After they went this direction, Nintendo and EA pulled back from E3. And E3 did eventually reverse course, so they considered the smaller press-only event a failure.

I think the reality is that E3 probably just doesn't fit in anywhere very well anymore. It was created in quite a different era than today, when people needed to go to a place and report on things, and publish their accounts in magazines and for a limited number of TV news outlets. It can't really turn back the clock and be a relevant player anymore. It continues to try to figure out a way to survive. I think it will eventually just morph into another con, as it becomes less and less relevant with the way product announcements and news work now.

There was a comment I heard about E3 back in the old days that sums up the issue - "the most important person at E3 is the lead buyer for Walmart." At the time, that was true - but it isn't anymore.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular

There was a comment I heard about E3 back in the old days that sums up the issue - "the most important person at E3 is the lead buyer for Walmart." At the time, that was true - but it isn't anymore.

It's probably still pretty accurate.

• Options
    MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »

It's probably still pretty accurate.

Yeah, I'd probably have to see some stats before I believe Walmart isn't still pretty important. Saying they aren't anymore kind of reads to me like a "lulz, who buys things at actual stores these days" comment. The answer being: Lots of people. ;)

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    nvm

Spaffy on
    ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options

Yes but if it's invite-only they can decide not to invite him.

Opening it to the public and keeping him out, not so simple. Even banning him from the event will just make him try to figure out how to be there incognito.

• Options

Opening it to the public and keeping him out, not so simple. Even banning him from the event will just make him try to figure out how to be there incognito.

Just place security staff in front of the public restrooms.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Djiem wrote: »

Just place security staff in front of the public restrooms.

And arm them. Hire the off duty armed teachers we need in all schools.

Shit, new idea, just arm all children.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Shit, new idea, just arm all children.

Shh, be vewy vewy quiet.
    We'we hunting Doctow Diswespect!