As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] Cardboard Action at a Distance

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    My favorite part is using Viking magic to turn a bowl of fruit into a dead whale or herbs into pigs into antlers into metal tools.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    I think that's meant to signify some sort of extortion-based trading mechanism.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    Dark WhiteDark White Registered User regular
    For folks that sleeve all their games, particularly things like Arkham LCG with lots of cards, what sleeves are you using?

I use Dragonshields for my competitive TCG/LCG decks but I’m sleeving the deck when I make it then un-sleeving it when I break it down to put back into a binder. So, I’m really only in for like $50 worth of DS sleeves. I can’t imagine shelling out to sleeve thousands of cards.

I know there are cheaper alternatives, but 1) it’s still thousands of sleeves so how cheap can we get? and 2) how do these cheap sleeves actually feel to handle and shuffle?

jswidget.php?username=Dark%20White&numitems=8&text=title&images=small&show=top10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Okay, Boardgame Thread: convince me to make fiscally irresponsible decisions; I know you can do it!

I've been lusting after Cthulhu Wars since its first kickstarter but never pulled the trigger on buying it. I finally backed their (supposedly final) kickstarter for The Daemon Sultan expansion at the tier where I get the base game as well, so I'm definitely getting some Cthulhu Wars. The question now is, now that I'm in the pledge manager, do I go ahead and buy everything they've made for it (which comes out to about $1200 more on top of the $200 pledge for the base game and new expansion)? I am mightily tempted... are there any expansions that are just bad and I should skip? Is the 6+ player game terrible and I shouldn't bother with the 6-8 player map upgrades? Is the board super cluttered such that I should really spring from those over-sized maps?

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I cannot fathom a board game justifying a $1400 price tag no matter the quality or quantity of miniatures? :|
    If you have $1200 to be tempted to spend on it, have you considered instead maybe improving someone else's quality of life? Help fund some relief and entertainment for kids at a local hospital, or pay for someone's medical bill? Or even if for yourself, maybe take a trip somewhere new and gain life experience? I think you'll get more satisfaction out of your money that way. :P

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Dark White wrote: »
    For folks that sleeve all their games, particularly things like Arkham LCG with lots of cards, what sleeves are you using?

I use Dragonshields for my competitive TCG/LCG decks but I’m sleeving the deck when I make it then un-sleeving it when I break it down to put back into a binder. So, I’m really only in for like $50 worth of DS sleeves. I can’t imagine shelling out to sleeve thousands of cards.

I know there are cheaper alternatives, but 1) it’s still thousands of sleeves so how cheap can we get? and 2) how do these cheap sleeves actually feel to handle and shuffle?

I use the KMC inner sleeves for the encounter deck cards because they'll get shuffled less often and it's cheaper. KMC Hyper Mats for the player cards because I really prefer a matte finish and they're cheap as far as those go.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    The absolute cheapest but useable sleeve I would use are the ultra pro promattes. It's like $6 for 100. That's what I'm doing for thunderstone quest needing over 2000 sleeves and I'm also splitting up the cost over time since you can "unlock" the new cards as you complete each quest it doesn't all need to be sleeved right away.

For Arkham I started with everything in dragon Shield clear mattes because I'm an idiot and underestimated the card count.

For competitive card games I stick with dragon shield mattes or kmc hyper mattes. The new ultimate guard katanas are supposed to be on that level of quality but they're impossible to find in stock besides amazon

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Okay, Boardgame Thread: convince me to make fiscally irresponsible decisions; I know you can do it!

I've been lusting after Cthulhu Wars since its first kickstarter but never pulled the trigger on buying it. I finally backed their (supposedly final) kickstarter for The Daemon Sultan expansion at the tier where I get the base game as well, so I'm definitely getting some Cthulhu Wars. The question now is, now that I'm in the pledge manager, do I go ahead and buy everything they've made for it (which comes out to about $1200 more on top of the $200 pledge for the base game and new expansion)? I am mightily tempted... are there any expansions that are just bad and I should skip? Is the 6+ player game terrible and I shouldn't bother with the 6-8 player map upgrades? Is the board super cluttered such that I should really spring from those over-sized maps?

If you've never played the game grabbing a faction or two is legit but I wouldn't break the bank when you don't know if you like the game.

• Options
    jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    Got Chinatown to the table with a full 5, I had only played it a couple of years ago, new to everyone else. I felt like it might have gone a little long, but everybody had a blast. If you don't know, it's like some weird and wonderful cross between Acquire and Bohnanza.
    You get property spaces on the board randomly doled out to you every round, and then you get a few random shop tiles (there are 9 types, I think), which might eventually be placed on those property spaces. Before you place the shop tiles, thought, there's a giant horse-trading session. You can barter property spaces, unplayed shop tiles, and money in a completely open-ended way. After that's done you can optionally place some shop tiles on properties you own, and then you get income from your shop tiles, and that income is greater if you have a group of similar-type shop tiles. And that's basically the whole game. Most money wins.

The game is quite simple, so how it plays is highly dependent on the nature of your group. There's a lot of leeway for grudges and retribution, but on the other hand it's not an especially mean game, oddly enough, because you have to trade. It's just a matter of who it is. And even at the end, you can still basically trade everything you've amassed up to that point, so there's opportunity for amazing changes of board state. Highly recommend.

When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular

Speaking as someone who went in hard for the Kingdom Death Monster second season package (about the same your talking about spending)...

it only comes out to 100 dollars a month for about 20 months on a fresh credit card.

then again, I actually played the original base game before going so hard into what is a huge set of expansions...and the amount of actual gameplay I've gotten from the game is rather small compared to the amount of time ive spent assembling and painting miniatures. I made the purchase with full knowledge that I was buying an entire hobby (I had never done mini's before this game), that could be stretched out for years to come. That made the investment much easier cause i was looking forward to that aspect on top of the game itself.

Do you love the minis enough that you are wanting to invest that time into them even if the gameplay itself isnt super great? if so, then get it. if you are betting all this cash on it being a good game and the mini's just an annoying bit, then you might have regret if the game turns out to be average...you wont have the drive to do the mini's.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »

it only comes out to 100 dollars a month for about 20 months on a fresh credit card.

This nearly made steam come out of my ears.

Everyone considering spending $1,000 or more on a board game, please quickly read this;

https://www.againstmalaria.com/WhyNets.aspx

You can literally save a child's life for approximately $500. We're also talking about quantities of money that will be significant when saving for your own retirement.

Don't get me wrong, I also spend a ton of money on fun stuff. But have some sense of proportion please!

• Options
    I mean, I already donate money every month to multiple causes.
    I also volunteer occasionally and give money to people I know personally when they need help.
    I just have a lot of disposable income.

A grand on a boardgame is extreme, even for me. That's why I've never pulled the trigger before. If I go all-in on Cthulhu Wars it'll be my gift to myself for my 40th birthday this year, the options for which were more expensive (a weekend trip to Vegas or a bottle of Pappy van Winkle).

It's a lot of money to drop on one thing but it's still a fraction of what I've spent on the hobby otherwise. A not-insignificant fraction, but still.

I was planning to just go with the base game and new expansion. I just fear that if I do end up wanting the other expansions it's going to be the secondary market with me paying premiums for used stuff since this is their last big reprinting run.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Lykouragh wrote: »

Everyone considering spending $1,000 or more on a board game, please quickly read this;

You can literally save a child's life for approximately $500. We're also talking about quantities of money that will be significant when saving for your own retirement.

Don't get me wrong, I also spend a ton of money on fun stuff. But have some sense of proportion please!

Dude, this is a board game forum. if we are spending a large sum on something you can safely assume exactly this of several things about our income, interest in charitable causes, and retirement :

It's none of your business how much we spend of our own money.

Take your attempt to guilt shame us elsewhere please.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    I only have the base game and high priests, but I backed the cat faction and plan on adding another faction onto the pledge manager. The base game + high priests will give you a hell of a lot of bang for your buck. Adding in another couple factions will radically add to the variability (plus the base map plays up to 5, so if you want to add that fifth player you'll need a faction). Beyond that, maybe a weird map to change stuff up? Or a 6-8 player map of you have enough factions and also want to ever play at high player counts.

The neutral monsters and zillion other optional things all seem like things for hardcore people who have played the game a hundred times, or things for Kickstarter lunatics to pay for and never actually unbox.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I'm ... not really sure how you're trying to make that appeal sound, but ... :S

• Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular

Dude, this is a board game forum. if we are spending a large sum on something you can safely assume exactly this of several things about our income, interest in charitable causes, and retirement :

Sorry, my tone came out wrong. But $1400 is a crazy amount....

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Sorry, my tone came out wrong. But $1400 is a crazy amount....

1400 doesn't even rate on a list of luxury goods you can spend dumbshit amounts of money on.

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular

Have you played it before?

I thought ALL of the expansions were badly designed. Either overpowered (Wind Walker, Tcho Tcho), underpowered (Opener), just downright unfun (Sleeper), or an overload of junk that ruins the core experience (neutral recruitable units).

The above is all the expansion material I've played. I cannot comment on the others, but given the 0% satisfaction rate so far, I'd hard pass on any other expansions. This is coming from someone who still thinks that the base game is the current best of the dudes on a map genre (I've been itching to play Lords of Hellas though).

• Options
    MrBody wrote: »

I thought ALL of the expansions were badly designed. Either overpowered (Wind Walker, Tcho Tcho), underpowered (Opener), just downright unfun (Sleeper), or an overload of junk that ruins the core experience (neutral recruitable units).

The above is all the expansion material I've played. I cannot comment on the others, but given the 0% satisfaction rate so far, I'd hard pass on any other expansions. This is coming from someone who still thinks that the base game is the current best of the dudes on a map genre (I've been itching to play Lords of Hellas though).

I've not played it but that's the kind of answer I was looking for. Thanks!

What do you think, conceptually, of the map expansions?

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    When you compare it to going to Fyre Festival, buying every Cthulhu Wars expansion is a complete steal, and a more ethical investment to boot!

sig.gif
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    jergarmar wrote: »
    Got Chinatown to the table with a full 5, I had only played it a couple of years ago, new to everyone else. I felt like it might have gone a little long, but everybody had a blast. If you don't know, it's like some weird and wonderful cross between Acquire and Bohnanza.
    You get property spaces on the board randomly doled out to you every round, and then you get a few random shop tiles (there are 9 types, I think), which might eventually be placed on those property spaces. Before you place the shop tiles, thought, there's a giant horse-trading session. You can barter property spaces, unplayed shop tiles, and money in a completely open-ended way. After that's done you can optionally place some shop tiles on properties you own, and then you get income from your shop tiles, and that income is greater if you have a group of similar-type shop tiles. And that's basically the whole game. Most money wins.

The game is quite simple, so how it plays is highly dependent on the nature of your group. There's a lot of leeway for grudges and retribution, but on the other hand it's not an especially mean game, oddly enough, because you have to trade. It's just a matter of who it is. And even at the end, you can still basically trade everything you've amassed up to that point, so there's opportunity for amazing changes of board state. Highly recommend.

I've actually thought of getting Chinatown now that I know my game group enjoys Bohnanza-type trading, then finally move up to Sidereal Confluence. D'you think that would work?

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Chinatown is the tits. Get it.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I should not have listened to Shut Up & Sit Down talking about the Feast for Odin expansion, now I feel like it's an essential buy before I've even played the base game

Shrinking down the worker placement board seems like an amazing change! The thing that seems to keep coming up in my research on the game is bumping up against each other in the base game is pretty rare, and I feel like that's kind of an essential aspect of a worker placement game, so this expansion bringing that in more sounds kinda perfect

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I should not have listened to Shut Up & Sit Down talking about the Feast for Odin expansion, now I feel like it's an essential buy before I've even played the base game

Shrinking down the worker placement board seems like an amazing change! The thing that seems to keep coming up in my research on the game is bumping up against each other in the base game is pretty rare, and I feel like that's kind of an essential aspect of a worker placement game, so this expansion bringing that in more sounds kinda perfect

Yeah. It's a perfect expansion that fixed every issue with a game that was already my top choice for the category.

• Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    When considering a significant purchase of any kind, it can be helpful to consider the investment angle.

This involves thinking about the likely trends of both value and market.

If I were to spend $20,000 on an endangered Kaya wood Go board with a set of Yuki-grade giant-clam shell stones, I could reasonably expect that set to retain value or (more likely) to continue becoming more valuable forever. It might pass to my great-great-great-grandchildren or end up in a museum somewhere.

If I were to spend $1,000 on X-wing miniatures (which I very possibly might have, over time...) I could reasonably expect all of that money to be gone forever.
    Years and years of great gaming experiences and making new friends over the 3x3 made that reasonable to me.

• Options
    BigPointyTeethBigPointyTeeth run away! run away! MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Cthulhu Wars, though.... A while back I was out of work for a month on a back injury, and made my mortgage payment plus some by selling my expansions. And this was just wave 1. If the demand for it holds, could probably make back that money spent.

Or it could end up completely worthless.

I have to admit, that would be quite the mountain of stuff. I thought the first wave was a lot. I don't even know what wave they're on now.

Since I'm posting, I played Tiny Towns with a friend recently and then he ended up buying a copy, too.

We then played Twilight Struggle finally. I lost as the Soviets. I started pretty strong, got to two points away from winning, kept NATO from being formed, and then it all fell apart in the end game.

I needed some redemption, so we played Fury of Dracula. Dracula was not as furious as I had hoped. He was mildly upset. And then died. I was Dracula. My main problem was I tried to fight instead of running the first chance I had, so I ended up pretty bruised, and then cornered.

I vowed revenge and then kicked him out of my house. We're planning on getting together next weekend. I have Commands and Colors: Medieval that I'm itching to get on the table.

• Options
    SaurfangSaurfang Registered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »

I've not played it but that's the kind of answer I was looking for. Thanks!

What do you think, conceptually, of the map expansions?

I actually like Sleeper, Windwalker, and Opener, but generally agree with MrBody in terms of their strengths ( Opener and Sleeper are a little weak, and Windwalker is a little stronger). I think Tcho Tcho is busted and not really fun.

I can't speak to all the maps, but my local play group enjoyed the Library at Celano a lot! It adds some interesting game play options without the fiddly recruitable units.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    For $1400 I would expect to play the shit out of that game. For me a value proposition would be getting it to the table 100 times. Do you have the friends or the lifespan to make that happen?

If you're in it for the collecting angle then go hog wild.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    For competitive card games I stick with dragon shield mattes or kmc hyper mattes. The new ultimate guard katanas are supposed to be on that level of quality but they're impossible to find in stock besides amazon

Speaking of which, Team Covenant actually just got a restock of Katanas in stock. Mine came today, and they *are* quite nice.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    For Magic-sized cards, I've used Dragonshield Mattes, KMC Hyper Mattes, and Ultra Pro Mattes. I've only found issue with the more recent KMCs, as they tended to split - people have been saying that KMC's quality have indeed taken a turn for the worse recently.

For non magic card sized stuff, I've preferred either Mayday premiums (regular ones are mediocre to bad), or Fantasy Flight's offerings.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I use Ultra Pro cards to sleeve stuff, but I don't usually sleeve boardgame cards unless I think they're going to get a lot of play and shuffling (Root, Gloomhaven) or unless they're a bit flimsy (Wizkids games). For LCGs I sleeve everything I use and keep the remainder in Ultra Pro binders.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    I use Ultra Pro cards to sleeve stuff, but I don't usually sleeve boardgame cards unless I think they're going to get a lot of play and shuffling (Root, Gloomhaven) or unless they're a bit flimsy (Wizkids games). For LCGs I sleeve everything I use and keep the remainder in Ultra Pro binders.

It also depends upon where the game is likely to be played. If it's a game that I will often be playing during our monthly gamestore gathering, so that hands are likely to be dirty or greasy-- until the joyous day comes when they invent non-greasy pizza-- then, yes, I'm sleeving every danged thing in the box.

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »

Speaking of which, Team Covenant actually just got a restock of Katanas in stock. Mine came today, and they *are* quite nice.

I picked up some Katanas before our Star Wars: Destiny GQ at the beginning of the month on the recommendation of one of the other locals.
    Double sleeved my deck (huge PITA) and they felt SO nice. But I probably wouldn't sleeve a game or anything with them, just competitive stuff like PMA mentions above.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    For me, the required sleeve quality depends on how the cards are going to be used. If the cards need to be shuffled and/or piled up in a stack, good quality sleeves are a must. If the cards don't have to be shuffled/stacked, the increasingly misnamed "penny" sleeves are fine.

To take an example, for Gloomhaven, IMO the player and enemy modifier decks, as well as the enemy action decks, should be good sleeves. Each character's action cards, as well as item cards, can be cheapo sleeves though.

• Options
    jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    Chinatown is the tits. Get it.

I think Chinatown is finally going to kick Acquire out of my collection. Acquire is a classic game that's easy to learn and play, and is probably more of an actual "game" compared to Chinatown's "negotiation social experiment you inflict on your friends", but there's enough overlap to make one redundant. And by "overlap", I'm referring to that ever-evolving board state, driving the game forward. In both games those board changes affect the value of your "holdings", but in Chinatown there's simply way more opportunity for shenanigans and swindles, such as you making a trade with one player, based on the expected outcome of an ongoing trade between other players, because you can see that the final board state will hugely benefit you. I think I'm always going to choose Chinatown out of the two.

When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I sleeve almost exclusively in FFG sleeves, but I've also used the Ultra Pro sleeves from time to time.

I tend to just buy them in bulk - display boxes of ... 10? ... packs at a go.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I like the feel and price of ultra pro promattes. Can get 600 of them for $32 off Amazon. I usually get the clear ones so I can enjoy the card back art. My only complaints are the dumb holo sticker that is occasionally in a terrible location and that they aren't matte on both sides.

FFGs always seem so slick to me. Either the deck is sliding off halfway or the cards are stuck together.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    FFG sleeves are great if you're sleeving cards that are held in-hand or on game boards, but terrible for stacking in big decks.

• Options
    The Arkham card game stuff I bought recently came pre sleeved in FFG sleeves so I bought more of them. I've never sleeved anything before. I did take the opportunity to use some of the ones I bought to sleeve RFTG before it started showing too much wear. I'm 25 games in on my set and it was getting a little nicked up around the edges here and there. Why card game publishers make games with black borders I'll never know.

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    I like the feel and price of ultra pro promattes. Can get 600 of them for $32 off Amazon. I usually get the clear ones so I can enjoy the card back art. My only complaints are the dumb holo sticker that is occasionally in a terrible location and that they aren't matte on both sides.

FFGs always seem so slick to me. Either the deck is sliding off halfway or the cards are stuck together.

Only older UP sleeves have the holo mark. I think some time in the last year or so they updated so all the Pro Matte sleeves have a translucent mark on them.
    I had picked up the clear ones to sleeve up Arkham and Mage Knight, but really don't like the feel of them compared to the solid backed Pro Mattes.

Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636