As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cyberpunk 2077 - It Can't Get Darker Than Night City, Right?

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Ideally, in a better world, one of the things managers did would be kicking out employees who linger too long at work.
    As for genuinely work-a-holic people, THAT IS NOT A GOOD THING!
    go home, relax, get a hobby, stare at a wall or pet a cat, i don't care, but stop overworking yourself.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Aistan wrote: »
    If you stay late to get work done you should get paid overtime.

Salary under the 100k range is a scam.

Oh for sure.

I've said this before, maybe even in this thread, but at my previous employer I was salaried and working 60-70 hours a week. In theory I only worked 5 days a week, but I was on call and was always called on my days off. So in truth I was basically working 7 days a week.

I ended up getting a new salaried job at a different company, basically doing the same thing. I get paid a bit less than my last workplace, but this job is actually only 40 hours a week, MON-FRI. Occasionally I do work have to work later, but fuck me the smaller paycheck is so totally worth it to actually have time to unwind and have a social life.

When I was at my last employer I remember talking to a buddy of mine who worked hourly for the same company. Technically if we both were working 40 hours a week I'd have been making more than him by a fair amount. However we weren't. He'd work 60-70 hours a week too but got paid overtime and time and a half. His paycheck was often larger than mine. I was a bit upset by this situation considering my job required a four year degree and his required high school. Not that I blamed him mind you, I'm not that petty. :razz:

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Funny thing about crunch in games development.
    It quite often happens towards the end of the development cycle.
    As in, the period of time when management is deciding who gets hired for the next project and who gets the boot.
    Voluntary you say?
    Riiiiiight...

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Voluntary crunch isn't.

sig.gif
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    Ideally, in a better world, one of the things managers did would be kicking out employees who linger too long at work.
    go home, relax, get a hobby, stare at a wall or pet a cat, i don't care, but stop overworking yourself.

Managers like that do exist out there. I had one manager who took an employee's laptop away from them and told them to go home for the weekend when they were going to work late on a Friday.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Syngyne wrote: »

Managers like that do exist out there. I had one manager who took an employee's laptop away from them and told them to go home for the weekend when they were going to work late on a Friday.

Yeah, they do, not enough, but they do.
    But my point was more that this should be not only expected, but required, and enforced, behaviour from management.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Yeah. I've been pretty lucky in that most of the managers I've worked for have been of the "My job is to make sure you can do your job effectively" mindset.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

I mean, workaholic reefers to an addiction for a reason

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

I mean, workaholic reefers to an addiction for a reason

Sweet autocorrect

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    A work environment where you don’t have to crunch but you can if you want leads to some employees deciding to crunch and others deciding not to

Guess which ones get passed over for raises or promotions or etc etc etc

When it’s optional, only the ones going “above and beyond” are considered to be ideal employees

It's akin to how unlimited vacation time becomes "No one takes vacation" in practice. There's a reason why both C-suite executives and unions - i.e. those in position to negotiate - want their required contributions and compensation written out in minute contractual detail.

In my current position we're salaried and get flex time, but management applies soft pressure to not use flex time

I don't abide by that, they aren't paying me enough anyway, if I'm not getting my benefits whats the point of being here? I put a date on my calendar when I pull an all nighter, and I dont come in that day. I won't and haven't gotten in trouble for this, it's actually what we're supposed to do in the employee manual - its just that workplace culture strongly encourages working long hours and not using your flex time

• Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    A work environment where you don’t have to crunch but you can if you want leads to some employees deciding to crunch and others deciding not to

Guess which ones get passed over for raises or promotions or etc etc etc

When it’s optional, only the ones going “above and beyond” are considered to be ideal employees

It's akin to how unlimited vacation time becomes "No one takes vacation" in practice. There's a reason why both C-suite executives and unions - i.e. those in position to negotiate - want their required contributions and compensation written out in minute contractual detail.

In my current position we're salaried and get flex time, but management applies soft pressure to not use flex time

I don't abide by that, they aren't paying me enough anyway, if I'm not getting my benefits whats the point of being here? I put a date on my calendar when I pull an all nighter, and I dont come in that day. I won't and haven't gotten in trouble for this, it's actually what we're supposed to do in the employee manual - its just that workplace culture strongly encourages working long hours and not using your flex time

I'm in a job where I'm on call every third week, OT is always an option, but usually isn't asked for unless something critical comes up, or it's a critical time of the year. During my time at the company I have also seen at least 2 or 3 class action lawsuits about us not getting proper time for admin work and forced to do the work off hours. I have a friend who works under a contract for the federal government dealing with an infrastructure overhaul. His job is based off of deadlines, and when the deadlines reach the end I've seen him have weeks where he works until 2am then is back in again at 9am to keep working, many times through weekends.

Crunch, OT, long hours and bad treatment are not exclusive to software development. It's a common issue in all manner of careers. It's even more scary when you realize that many jobs have been thrown overseas because corporations can't shaft us ENOUGH in first world countries.

So yeah, if CDPR considers the OT optional, that's a hell of a lot better than other companies. Asking for OT when deadlines approach is never going to stop, and I do think it's important to be passionate about your work. But if they offer enough downtime after the deadline, like my company provides... I'm not as bothered by it. No one has a perfect system... not until the concept of OT is gone and the 8 hour shift is the maximum allowed, and even that has exceptions in nearly every system.

And honestly, the concept of OT isn't the biggest issue when it comes to software development. The biggest issue would be most programmers being hired as contractors, and contractors don't get jack of shit for rights in this country. Making software programmers a mandatory full time position and not having them be a contractor job would be how to create the largest shift.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Yeah. I've been pretty lucky in that most of the managers I've worked for have been of the "My job is to make sure you can do your job effectively" mindset.

Guess I've had a string of luck like that. I probably assume it's like that most places more than I should. If a place treated me like crap all the time, or even several times, I'd go work someplace else.

Bigity on
  • Options
    Can we not minimize the potential harm of crunch, even if "voluntary"?
    I mean, i'm cool with a wait and see approach on how CDPR is going to handle situation, but considering they have admitted for not treating their workers humanely in the past, i am going to take pretty heavy load of salt with any of their statements about "voluntary" crunch.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

My current manager told me in no uncertain terms that I was not to check my emails over Christmas

I will stay late sometimes when I'm deep in the weeds of something interesting, but I will get that time back

Even when I was on the lowest rung, if I had to stay later than my stated hours because I was stuck on a long customer service call, I could bank that time on my flexi sheet and use it as paid leave later

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    So how exactly do you do ethnic criminal factions in a non-offensive manner? That isn't really a question that has an answer acceptable to everyone.

I mean, the PC gamer guy is like, "and it showed this racial group was untrustworthy." And I'm like, yeah, it's an enemy NPC faction. Mike Pondsmith himself said Night City was explicitly designed along the "Disneyland" style of world building. Here you have corporate town, here you have Japan town, China town, etc. And there's likely to be both good and bad factions/characters.

I have not seen anything as egregious so far as Letitia the Trash Lady from Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

At first blush, a few basic requirements:

a) people from the ethnic group are portrayed as both good and also bad

b) even the bad ones are morally complex- they are making “bad” choices for understandable or sympathetic reasons

c) you’re portraying people from the ethnic group with nuance and with diversity of character

Because ultimately white characters do always end up with this. Yes, you'll have a maniacally evil character, but the world will be FULL of good guy white characters, neutral white characters, and complex white characters.

But what we often see in games is "All the characters from Haiti are from the gang of organ harvesters that betray everyone."

And honestly, there's some trope sigaling in there, whether you want to admit it or not. The trailer has something really basic going on, the good guys are mostly white, the bad guys are black. There's lots of characters, but in the chunk we have we can tell where the bad guys are in the trailer are black. There's some base level othering at play in there that we really need to spend some time rooting out of our media.

All of your complaints are addressed in the game. And as for what Mike Pondsmith thinks, "stop telling me what I should be offended by."

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Not to jump on but I. . .don't think this:
    Darkwolfe wrote:
    The trailer has something really basic going on, the good guys are mostly white, the bad guys are black.

is an accurate representation of what we see in the trailer. I mean the MC is white (I guess) because that's what they've chosen to go for in the marketing, but The Voodoo Boys are not "bad guys" anymore than Stout was a "bad guy" from the gameplay demo in 2018. The Animals just seem like a diverse group of juiced up shitheads.

Really feels like a lot of sentiment regarding representation in this games (that we've seen less than 1% of) is based off that initial RPS hot-take (a take which itself reads pretty shakey).

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    It's definitely a thing when I can see a youtube video linked and think to myself 'oh, that sounded like some shitty gamer game adjacent garbage last time it showed up in my suggestion feed' but it's presented as irrefutable fact.

But hey, lets just all agree with the video that thinks it needs to fucking bleep out the highly offensive word 'racist' to prevent orwellian youtube censors. He's clearly a good fucking example of a reasonable guy.

Because we all know the guy who feels the need to pretend youtube will curse your family for generations for saying racist somewhere in the video is a trustworthy source with a good head on his shoulders.

• Options
    It's definitely a thing when I can see a youtube video linked and think to myself 'oh, that sounded like some shitty gamer game adjacent garbage last time it showed up in my suggestion feed' but it's presented as irrefutable fact.

But hey, lets just all agree with the video that thinks it needs to fucking bleep out the highly offensive word 'racist' to prevent orwellian youtube censors. He's clearly a good fucking example of a reasonable guy.

Because we all know the guy who feels the need to pretend youtube will curse your family for generations for saying racist somewhere in the video is a trustworthy source with a good head on his shoulders.

I dunno. . .if my livelihood depended on not being demonitized, I might bow to the YouTube censor as well. Are you saying this isn't a thing?

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Albino Bunny was warned for this.
    ED! wrote: »

I dunno. . .if my livelihood depended on not being demonitized, I might bow to the YouTube censor as well. Are you saying this isn't a thing?

I promise you can say racist without being demonitized.

I also promise that the fucking dude that wants to insist "I need to censor racist but also I only censor half of them when I remember this is my fucking grift" is not an honest guy.

Fucking seriously is this the point we're at? Linking essays of a guy who bleeps out the idea of racism existing and pretending that's fucking good takes? What the shit guys. If we're gonna presume all games journalism is operating in bad faith and that fucking shit show controversy youtubers are clearly in the right because they say I can enjoy the game I want to enjoy why not just go to reddit and jerk off to screen shots till the game releases and you can finally get the satisfaction you so clearly desire?

Tube on
  • Options

I promise you can say racist without being demonitized.

I also promise that the fucking dude that wants to insist "I need to censor racist but also I only censor half of them when I remember this is my fucking grift" is not an honest guy.

Fucking seriously is this the point we're at? Linking essays of a guy who bleeps out the idea of racism existing and pretending that's fucking good takes? What the shit guys. If we're gonna presume all games journalism is operating in bad faith and that fucking shit show controversy youtubers are clearly in the right because they say I can enjoy the game I want to enjoy why not just go to reddit and jerk off to screen shots till the game releases and you can finally get the satisfaction you so clearly desire?

Are we talking about YongYea here? I believe the fellow is a clickbait auteur, but I've never got the whiff of "gamer gate" off him.

Also:
    why not just go to reddit and jerk off to screen shots till the game releases and you can finally get the satisfaction you so clearly desire?

Yikes.

• Options
    Yeah I know, it's almost like it'd be in pretty good faith to consider a guy whose audience gets off to the idea that racism is a dirty word censored by those horrific youtube centrists is not a great source.

Like what the hell. I thought there was a bear minimum of basic common sense and skepticism but no, bunch of people are very much agreeing with the idea that mister 'mike pondsmith said it couldn't be a racism so i have a black friend' is a good gosh darn source for talking about the game. So I guess we're in a shit show where fucking most of the thread might as well not post shit till they can photograph shiney neonliberal phallic imagery skyscrapers at 1080p because till then we can't prove one way or the other the game is bad so we better fucking buy it.

• Options
    Yeah I know, it's almost like it'd be in pretty good faith to consider a guy whose audience gets off to the idea that racism is a dirty word censored by those horrific youtube centrists is not a great source.

Like what the hell. I thought there was a bear minimum of basic common sense and skepticism but no, bunch of people are very much agreeing with the idea that mister 'mike pondsmith said it couldn't be a racism so i have a black friend' is a good gosh darn source for talking about the game. So I guess we're in a shit show where fucking most of the thread might as well not post shit till they can photograph shiney neonliberal phallic imagery skyscrapers at 1080p because till then we can't prove one way or the other the game is bad so we better fucking buy it.

The point isn't Yong's reaction. It's about Mike's reaction that he is very much involved in the oversight of Cyberpunk 2077 and that RPS is being pretty quick to fire from the hip with accusations of racism.

• Options
    Just to be clear we ARE talking about the YongYea video with the Mike Pondsmith reaction yes? YongYea isn't shooting out the arse on this one; apparently an earlier video got demonitized that was talking about this exact same subject so him being a bit gunshy isn't some evidence of nefarious "adjacency" more than it's evidence of him not wanting to lose them ad-bucks.

• Options
    edited June 2019

The point isn't Yong's reaction. It's about Mike's reaction that he is very much involved in the oversight of Cyberpunk 2077 and that RPS is being pretty quick to fire from the hip with accusations of racism.

I mean, the video is saying that Yong knows better about the demo shown than RPS.

Also that RPS are committing reverse racism by having concerns about what they were shown.

So you believe RPS are blind controversy merchants.

Or you think Yong is both arguing in good faith about something he hasn't seen by telling people that racism isn't real and will get you infracted by the youtube stazi.

EDIT: Also to be clear. Pondsmith, while a cool dude, is also the man who let a product line he had control of print a side bar about how America's cyberpunk downfall was due to embracing multi-culturalism. Which is to say I trust his quality control over partners, let alone very rich ones funding his dream game, exactly zero.

Albino Bunny on
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Also that RPS are committing reverse racism by having concerns about what they were shown.

So you believe RPS are blind controversy merchants.

Or you think Yong is both arguing in good faith about something he hasn't seen by telling people that racism isn't real and will get you infracted by the youtube stazi.

I don't think it's fair to immediately cast RPS as "controversy merchants" but some of their response has been eyebrow raising in a "well what really is your point" kind of way.

And really, you think YY is trying to gaslight that racism doesn't exist. REALLY?

ED! on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Austin Walker talking about his hands on with the game with his knowledge of Cyberpunk 2020 gave more insight into the history of the Voodoo Boys and some of the other stuff in the setting that makes me feel like maybe it'll be more nuanced, but he was also quick to point out that 2020 has its own problematic baggage and that CDPR does not have any goodwill on this sort of stuff with the BS they've pulled in the past.

• Options
    Yes, censoring the word racist in his video and pretending it is a magical demonetization word is stoking the flames of people who have a direct interest in proving racism is a good idea.

Youtube creators fucking light up social media when words get them demonetized. Especially social justice ones. Like hey, you literally can't make a video with the word trans in the title and get money.

Weirdly that's never come up about racism as a word in the middle of a video. Heck even trans issues can stealth to those ad bucks provided they keep it out the title. So yes, I'm super fucking suspect of the guy whose video is 'I can't talk about racism while disparaging the press, otherwise the youtube stazi will get me'.

• Options
    Yes, censoring the word racist in his video and pretending it is a magical demonetization word is stoking the flames of people who have a direct interest in proving racism is a good idea.

So just going to ignore that he had already been demonitized when discussing this topic and is taking no chances?

• Options

So just going to ignore that he had already been demonitized when discussing this topic and is taking no chances?

Yes because I have heard plenty of videos sound out the word racism, racist or any other variant there of.

It is pageantry to appeal to the worst people.

• Options
    AceCombatFan, the one guy on Youtube who plunks away at Ace Combat content, just got a "Belka did nothing wrong" meme video joke which did get instantly demonetized (Belka is fictional Germany), so I know it's a thing.

I've seen a few dozen Yong videos and he didn't strike me as a troll or weirdo so YMMV. I haven't seen everything he's done.

I am apt to be suspect of RPS based on both the content of their article, and their response to it having basically no substance. And that's pretty much it.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    AceCombatFan, the one guy on Youtube who plunks away at Ace Combat content, just got a "Belka did nothing wrong" meme video joke which did get instantly demonetized (Belka is fictional Germany), so I know it's a thing.

I've seen a few dozen Yong videos and he didn't strike me as a troll or weirdo so YMMV. I haven't seen everything he's done.

I am apt to be suspect of RPS based on both the content of their article, and their response to it having basically no substance. And that's pretty much it.

So the guy who was a racist and made a pro Nazi joke got demonetized? Huh.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Weird how you're suspect of RPS reporting what they saw but are super into talking about a guy posting Donald Trump talking about fake news as a clear source of unjustified demontization over a joke.

Especially one that literally turns up Jokes about Hitler being right if you just blank out a single word.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    afaik a number of people make a living off of complaining about “SJWs” on YouTube so if you’re telling me someone got a video demonetized for doing so I’m gonna be pretty skeptical.

• Options

Yes because I have heard plenty of videos sound out the word racism, racist or any other variant there of.

So one of the most milquetoast "Gaming news" channels on the YouTube (whose entire SUCCESSFUL shtick up to this point has been taking steamers on EA) is deciding to cash in on the "racist views" because they decide to self-censor themselves when discussing the controversy surrounding Cyberpunk 2077 after already being demonitized. . .when discussing the controversy surrounding Cyberpunk 2077.

The motives that are being read into people surrounding this game are astounding honestly.

• Options
    I mean, if your argument is ‘anyone with critique has a foul, unseemly motive’ why you even bothering to reply to us obviously foul people?

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Weird how you're suspect of RPS reporting what they saw but are super into talking about a guy posting Donald Trump talking about fake news as a clear source of unjustified demontization over a joke.

Especially one that literally turns up Jokes about Hitler being right if you just blank out a single word.

I follow the guy a lot, you seem to be reading one hell of a lot into in-universe jokes (look at the shopped baackground on the first). Context is important.

Suriko on
  • Options

I would appreciate if you dial down the inquisitorial attitude, since I'm not actually disagreeing with you as much as you think I am. I posted the Yong video since it was a decent enough summary of the RPS accusations of racism and Mike and a few others response to it. I mentioned AC fan since he's a pretty harmless guy, who yes as you mentioned has made some tasteless jokes" simply as an example of creator content being demonetized. I am not giving blanking endorsement of these creators. I posted the Yong video not to discuss demonetization, but specifically the accusations of Cyberpunk 2077's racism, which I remain unconvinced is much of anything at this stage.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

So one of the most milquetoast "Gaming news" channels on the YouTube (whose entire SUCCESSFUL shtick up to this point has been taking steamers on EA) is deciding to cash in on the "racist views" because they decide to self-censor themselves when discussing the controversy surrounding Cyberpunk 2077 after already being demonitized. . .when discussing the controversy surrounding Cyberpunk 2077.

The motives that are being read into people surrounding this game are astounding honestly.

I'm just waiting for the Undercover Paid Shill accusations to begin.

• Options
    Suriko wrote: »

I follow the guy a lot, you seem to be reading one hell of a lot into in-universe jokes. Context is important.

Then maybe he should not use Nazi slogans as the basis for his jokes? It’s a pretty low bar and most cool folk I know can manage it without issue.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    I mean, if your argument is ‘anyone with critique has a foul, unseemly motive’ why you even bothering to reply to us obviously foul people?

That's not what that comment said and you're kind of proving the point. No one called you "foul" and no one said you had an "unseemly motive." I am suggesting that you are reading bad intent into others when a simpler explanation exists; YongYea for example. There is nothing on that channel before Cyberpunk dropped that even has the hint of "race denier" in it; yet here we are suggesting that he's trying to cash in on a repugnant crowd because he's bleeped out "racism"/"racist" with the "thin" excuse that he's already been dm'd discussing this topic.

I mean if this was TheQuastering or UpperEchelonGaming. . .sure, but there's nothing regarding YY's coverage of the Cyberpunk that reads controversial other than him actually wanting to make a buck of it.

ED! on