As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Overwatch] Workshop now included.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Sombra isn't even a very efficient bunker buster, it's hard for her to farm ult charge against bunker and if the EMP doesn't work then that's kinda it.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Roe wrote: »
    Sombra doesn't seem to be as useful as other characters. Maybe they should add something to hack to make them worth while, like increased damage taken. Or they could make her ability last longer, making her ultimate more useful.

When I play her, I don't seem to be as team coordinated as other conventional characters. Going behind the enemies makes her seem a bit solo oriented than the others.

Ehhhh she shouldn't really be trying to gank people coming back from spawn unless it's a solo Zen - she's not like a Genji or Tracer where she's favored to win against literally anyone 1v1.

A Sombra should be working alongside her team as a bread-and-butter kinda-spammy DPS. Take the high ground and pour damage down into the reds and hack targets of opportunity (hacked tanks are generally massive value) for your team to jump as you assist with the spray & pray. Drop down to finish off weak enemies, keep the translocator back on high ground so you can reposition and immediately continue being useful.

A Sombra that has a translocator sitting on a health pack across the map who comes out of stealth to hack and empty a clip at a respawning red - might get the pick! Might not - translocate out and try again - is getting way, way less value than one who plays like a highly-mobile frontline DPS.

Think about when you're having a Really, Really Good Game on any other character - you're always shooting, healing and practically using your abilities on cooldown. A Sombra who runs around solo is never being that valuable. Even a Tracer or Genji is much the same value proposition - ganking a respawn is only worth it if you then immediately rejoin your team on the point to contribute your sizable DPS to whatever it is your Rein is swinging at.

Edit: unless you've got a real good trickle goin' on. Then just harry the respawns and give your team a continuous, significant numbers advantage on point.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Chance wrote: »

Big fan of that Orissa change.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    And the Torb thing. The McCree change is buuuunk.

• Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Full replays! That took long enough.
    Blue Post wrote:
    Fixed a bug where armor damage mitigation was too effective when multiple instances of armor were stacked on top of each other.

You guys were just talking about it. I'm kind of surprised to see this fixed so fast.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I think EMP is simply too strong. It breaks pub Sombra in a sense because she can't be made better in any other way as long as a well-executed EMP is so devastating. But most pub Sombras are not able to receive the full benefit of that.

Zek on
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    The EMP animation should be a full second and it should have 20% less range

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    https://youtu.be/WTGusNdTtxA

vengeance for flashbang right clicking me like 5 times rude hat man

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    The EMP animation should be a full second and it should have 20% less range

What? No. It’s hard enough to get off effectively while also making sure your team will capitalize as is.

• Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    In my scrub tiers where no one communicates the emp is almost always meaningless and frequently 1v6 for some reason. Sombras working with their team seem fine and a potentially effective bunker buster every few minutes seems fine too. Bunker is annoying with seemingly few counters as it is. I would much rather bunker be more not less bustable. But that's just the opinion of one humble country hog.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Making a Sombra effective requires more coordination and communication than the finickiest healers at lower levels. I played a game where I was invisible tooling around in the middle of the enemy team spamming my EMP ready line directly at DVa and everyone on my team was just too afraid to engage.

After a minute of that nonsense I had to stop and type in to ask DVa to throw her bomb in team chat before we got the quad kill

Like the one time I have EMP ready to combo is the time I get a DVa too scared to throw out a raw DVa bomb

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    As a tank/support main who is usually in a 2-3 stack and also isn't in voice, a good pub sombra is paying attention to when we are pushing in before using emp.

As the main stack, it's on us to type "emp" in chat to signal that we're ready for the push and want them to initiate if they're not paying attention.

It's just part of communication in the game imo, but you definitely get sombras who don't pay attention and emp the team after everyone is dead, and you get teams who refuse to play with or around you as sombra... But I don't think it takes much comms on either end to make it effective.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    A Sombra in a team that's not communicating is maybe the most useless pick possible

A Sombra in a team that's communicating is maybe the most OP pick possible

• Options
    MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    And that, to my mind, is about as close as we can get current Sombra to balanced. We can talk about ways to tinker with the hero's design and I'd be right up in that debate, but not every hero is going to have a flat curve on their winrate. I have no time whatsoever for the argument that Sombra (or heroes like her) needs buffs because lower ranked players don't get something like a 50% winrate with her. This is a moba shooter. In mobas, some heroes simply don't work the same at different levels. For instance, I have never once deliberately picked Io in DotA because he's basically the Sombra of DotA: nothing short of pros and the tippity-top level pub players can make Io work.

And that's fine. My most played hero in DotA is Rubick and tbh I also have no business playing Rubick, but he's so fun that IMO the cost-benefit analysis is still worthwhile. I'm fine with being 'held back' a little by my pick because I'm playing videogames to have fun - even in Ranked mode, stunning admission though that is to some people - and I'll accept a slightly lower MMR and a few extra losses to enjoy my limited time on this earth a little more. But at the same time I'm not lobbying Valve to buff Rubick or Io just for me and mine at the 50th (ish) percentile of DotA players. At some point you just have to accept that the hero you like might not be ideal for where you're at, and what you do with that is up to you, not the developer.

But if you really want Sombra on a flatter skill curve, we need to talk about some pretty extensive changes to her whole kit. I'd be on board with that.

Musicool on
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    Fought a Doomfist last night that would wtfpwn my team in my absence or if I left him unchecked and ended up having one of my best anti-Doom games ever. I one-clipped-and-melee'd this guy, I stuck him I think twice and for the final fight he came straight at me with a slam (juked), went right into the uppercut (whiff - I wave to him as he pops up and comes down) and charges a punch right in my face as I empty my clips into his to just squeak through on headshots.

It was awesome >.<

• Options
    Solo queued yesterday and got a bad string of losses... well, not bad necessarily, but frustrating because we'd do OK for the first half of the game and then fall apart at the last point. I think my final record was 2W-9L or something like that. I think I've gotten used to 2-3 stacking and having some degree of coordination rather than being left to my own devices when I start getting targeted or the team starts feeding or isn't pushing enough.

Kind of drives home that this is a game meant to be played with voice chat, I guess? But given how toxic people can be even in match chat, I certainly understand the reluctance.

Really I just need to readjust my expectations and play style when I go solo.

Also I have 200+ hours each on mercy/zen so I think people tend to assume I can solo-heal and carry the team :bigfrown:

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    Sombra's hack should instead only affect Bastion.

Sombra's hack doesn't affect the enemy character she's hacking. McCree doesn't forget how to roll because of a hack, that would be silly. Instead, the hack affects the player's keyboard. Your keyboard!

• Options
    A Sombra in a team that's not communicating is maybe the most useless pick possible

A Sombra in a team that's communicating is maybe the most OP pick possible

Ehhh there's a lot of useless sombras out there

Useless hacks/emps after the enemy team's already put their abilities on cooldown
    Bad positioning leading to constant teleports away, making you effectively dead in every team fight
    Lack of mechanics meaning they can't seriously threaten the backline in 1v1s or get picks
    Wasting time hacking healthkits that have no impact on the team fight
    Lack of damage not making up for the utility of hacks, esp against heroes who don't depend on their cooldowns
    EMPs in a team comp that's not capable of following up on the advantage anyway

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    https://youtu.be/pCq_4uV0W54

this ana knew what was up

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options

Also I have 200+ hours each on mercy/zen so I think people tend to assume I can solo-heal and carry the team :bigfrown:

This (expectations and play style). That much time on support should have already supplied you with a somewhat supernatural ability to read the ebb and flow of a teamfight in a way that DPS and tanks often can't - call it Support Sense - it's all about just backing up the teammates you can meaningfully help to score value, and wisely knowing when to abandon the ones who you expect will fail in their attempt or worse, bring you down with them.

The fun part about being The Support is that you never know who the good teammate is until they pull off something wicked - so it's always a mystery for like the first quarter of a match until you realize "oh damn this Widow is doing work" and pocket and prioritize her. When you're playing Ana and That Teammate is a Hog or Rein...

Ummmn so good.

• Options

This (expectations and play style). That much time on support should have already supplied you with a somewhat supernatural ability to read the ebb and flow of a teamfight in a way that DPS and tanks often can't - call it Support Sense - it's all about just backing up the teammates you can meaningfully help to score value, and wisely knowing when to abandon the ones who you expect will fail in their attempt or worse, bring you down with them.

The fun part about being The Support is that you never know who the good teammate is until they pull off something wicked - so it's always a mystery for like the first quarter of a match until you realize "oh damn this Widow is doing work" and pocket and prioritize her. When you're playing Ana and That Teammate is a Hog or Rein...

Ummmn so good.

Agreed, there are definitely games where you just ignore players unless they're convenient to heal because they're always feeding or out of position, sorry bud but its on you to find a health pack and get to a safe spot.

Conversely there are games where you just follow the Tracer around because they're one-clipping everything and the rest of the team is doing fine. I actually enjoy these games because I'm basically a personal cheerleader at that point and I like seeing the kill feed light up.

I also kinda like the 1-support 5-dps comps when the dps know to flank and stay alive until I can get to them, but it falls apart fast once the enemy team figures out that you just need to kill the support to win the game...

I'm just used to being able to call out and get some peels and that led to more aggressive positioning on my part overall. Just gotta remember to play more passive when I know I'm not gonna get peels as fast or at all.

• Options
    That Doomfist game last night we were 1 tank 1 healer and they were 6 dps (took 1st point Eichenwald) then 5dps 1 Moira.

Ignored the Moira, focused Doom and Widow - GG.

• Options
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    what the hell is going on with Richard Hammond, and how does it only affect one hero like that?

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Hashtaggamedev

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    what the hell is going on with Richard Hammond, and how does it only affect one hero like that?

At first I thought it was just a joke about geese disconnecting because they didn't like their teammates picking him.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options

This is so dirty, I love it, A+++

• Options
    50% of the time the flank tyre works every time

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    50% of the time the flank tyre works every time

That's a way higher success rate than I get >.<

I should probably practice Pulse a bit, I sometimes feel like I've lost the hang of it. But I'm still solid at headshottin' Widows!

https://youtu.be/ys7cKhuNZdM

• Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Man

I'm not very good at this game.

Fortunately I mostly play Rein and just block everything in the world

• Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I don't play rein, but as an outside observer, it seems like one of the key aspect to a good rein is knowing when to charge, and perhaps more importantly, when not to.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    How is Richard Hammond still not fixed?

Finally getting time in with the new McCree, the firing speed isn't the problem, it's how they basically removed the hitch that you click instead of hold for better accuracy; now there's no reason not to just hold the button down day erry day like it's Junkrat's primary.

• Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Is this real?

I don't know but I desperately want it to be.

I feel like they just figured out the glass bubble astronaut helm thing and are now putting it on as many skins as possible, which I don't hate.

soylenth on
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    tis indeed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBeaFn4Z1NQ

you can get it for OWL tokens starting next weekend

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    tis indeed

you can get it for OWL tokens starting next Thursday*

• Options
    Even as a Zen main I think that skin is goofy as shit lol

Also don't really care for OWL so tokens = meh

• Options
    edited June 2019

Kana on
This discussion has been closed.