As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Formula One & motorsport] Round 16, Russia: In Soviet Russia, V12 drives you!

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Williams sneaking in some extra testing for their aero package

9mlf6z7pyl8r.png

• chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    And now I'm wondering if that aero device actually improves the fuel economy of the bus. It might reduce the intensity of the vortex at the back somewhat and reduce drag, but would it be by enough?

steam_sig.png
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    it is obviously DRS for overtaking another bus to beat them to a stop

• tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    And now I'm wondering if that aero device actually improves the fuel economy of the bus. It might reduce the intensity of the vortex at the back somewhat and reduce drag, but would it be by enough?

Maybe, its hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like the sides of the bus have that boat-tail chamfer to them. But my guess is that the bus gets backed in when it gets parked and its just a roof-bumper.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    It's actually for directing air down over the rear window to help prevent dirt and dust building up.

new front wing and diffuser for ferrari

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Still can’t catch Mercedes.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Reports are starting to come in about F1 2019 and they are very, very good. Really interesting expansion to the career mode in particular - three prologue scenarios in F2 that set up your relationship with a couple of very different rivals who also follow you into F1, apparently with a sort of storyline (but you can skip that by just starting in F1 like normal). Plus things like AI drivers being able to change teams, mostly but not always between seasons.

The Senna vs Prost mode appears to be the biggest let-down, but I've still got my Legends edition pre-order in... for now...

Jazz on
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Reports are starting to come in about F1 2019 and they are very, very good. Really interesting expansion to the career mode in particular - three prologue scenarios in F2 that set up your relationship with a couple of very different rivals who also follow you into F1, apparently with a sort of storyline (but you can skip that by just starting in F1 like normal). Plus things like AI drivers being able to change teams, mostly but not always between seasons.

The Senna vs Prost mode appears to be the biggest let-down, but I've still got my Legends edition pre-order in... for now...

Really want the F2 part to be a awesome.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
    Drovek wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »

Really want the F2 part to be a awesome.

It sounds very well done, but it's more if you like the lower downforce, lower powered, longer braking distance cars - some are digging them, some prefer the F1 cars still, but they sound like they're done well. Plus there's usually someone to scrap with as it's a spec series so it doesn't spread out as much.

• AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Is Vettel unable to control the race car?
    All over in qualifying :/

Also wtf Mclaren!

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Is Vettel unable to control the race car?
    All over in qualifying :/

Also wtf Mclaren!
    It feels like the stewards in Canada took the passion for the sport out of Vettel, and he's stopped caring in the same way.

I'm almost expecting this to be his last F1 season

Fuck yeah McLaren!

Stroll continues to show why he is driving for his father. Wish I had a billionaire dad

Veevee on
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Great Quali for McLaren, and it's nice to finally get some good news for my team. :) I was hoping Ricciardo would beat them, though, because if there's one driver I want to just start having the best season, it's him. Still, it means that there's some great battles coming up between McLaren and Renault, I think, in future seasons. And that would be nice. To have battles. Actual competition.

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Tomorrow’s first lap is going to be nuts. I want to see a heat map for where the cars go compared to actual race lines.

Nova_C wrote: »
    Great Quali for McLaren, and it's nice to finally get some good news for my team. :) I was hoping Ricciardo would beat them, though, because if there's one driver I want to just start having the best season, it's him. Still, it means that there's some great battles coming up between McLaren and Renault, I think, in future seasons. And that would be nice. To have battles. Actual competition.
    The McLaren/Renault battle is definitely the best one at the moment. Even if Hulkenberg didn't have a good day today.

edited June 2019
    Oh Fuck You, ESPN.

F3 is available on ESPN+ only.

Edit: watching F2 race 1 now

Edit2: holy shit, that start

E3: feel terrible for Ilot, he was having such a good race.

Veevee on
  • altidaltid Registered User regular
    Good to see McLaren do well, although I fear they'll manage to lose it in the race again. Every time they've been on for a good result this year they've missed out due to stuff like being hit by Verstappen and having the suspension melt.

• TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Bit of a tangent but the 47th Nurburgring 24hr enduro is around 10 hours into the race. It's being broadcast on YouTube with English track-side commentary, which is lovely. Currently there's a 3-way battle for 2nd place, with the leading Manthey Racing 911 a few minutes ahead, between a Glikenhaus, AMG and 911. Couple of spectacular retirements despite the good weather, the #2 Black Falcon AMG that I think was leading at the time got well and truly punted by a backmarker entering a Code 60. Plenty of action in the Porsche GT3 Cup and BMW Cup single make classes. Odd-ball entries like the Viper CC, Mustang GT and Opel Manta (yes, a Manta!) have mostly retired already, sadly. A quick favourite of mine, the awesome looking BMW Z4 GT3 (older car, they use the M6 now) retired after a few hours.

Jamie Chadwick of W Series championship leading fame is also in the race, with the #35 Aston Martin Vantage and going really well! Her second enduro here and just last week was signed to AM as a development driver. Her career is going gangbusters! The way it seems to work here in terms of drivers is that once you've done it a few times and prove yourself to be consistent and in good favour, you can continue to do this race for a decade+

https://youtu.be/x4-9UHEwrps

Edit: oh shit the leader has stopped on track! Disaster! Just saw footage, it's pointing the wrong way but doesn't look damaged, wonder if it was tagged slightly into the barriers

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2019
    They just got the Z4 GT3 back in the race! Almost 10 hours and 61 laps down, but she's back in there!!!

Edit: aaand it's broken again

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
    It looks like it's going to be an amazing sunrise over the ring. Only another 90 minutes or so until the sun shows itself.

edited June 2019
    And it's back again! Still needs to do 35 laps before it can be considered competing by race end.

Definitely getting lighter, not long now

Edit: and broken down again, I'm going to keep these updates coming btw :P

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2019
    Opel Manta back on the track!

Veevee on
    edited June 2019
    And the Z4 is back out! After a quick engine change its storming back around the ring again in a strong 149th place

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
    You've got to admire that dogged determination. :+1:

edited June 2019
    The battle for 4th between the #4 and #29, both Audi R8 LMS cars, has been going on, without break, for many hours. They're on the same pitting strategy so they've never been more than about 4 seconds away from each other for, I say again, hours.

And as I type that #4 just aggressively overtook #29 going two-wide through some esses. They are going full ham

Edit: and now they've both caught the 3rd place car! And they're both past! And what the hell the AMG previously in 6th is there too, and he's past into 4th! Now all four of the are pitting, oh man gonna be a fantastic stint coming up

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Ok crunch time, do I stay awake for the race in 4 hours or powersleep and try to wake up for it.
    I have missed zero races this year.

edited June 2019
    There is so much going on in this race that I can't keep up, my God. The attrition rate is over 1/3, 2 hours to go. Over 50 cars have retired

Quickfire - the leader has a 5min stop-go penalty after leading for 14 hours straight and will lose the lead. The #29 Audi got a puncture and shredded the rear right of his car, retired. A BMW had his bonnet flop up at the end of the main straight, zig-zaggint across the track with zero visablity, runs INTO the pit entry wall at low speed and wedges it.

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I am watching since about the 6 hours to go mark of the race. Holy crap, what a race.

And now it looks like the Manthey Porsche will have a chance at the win despite the 5 min penalty.

I live about 120km away from the Nordschleife. One of these days I have to go down there and watch a race. And take my own car for a lap around that track.

TheBigEasy on
    edited June 2019
    Less than an hour to go, less than a minute between first and second with the latter being the faster Manthey Porsche. No more pit stops, fresh rubber on both cars. Come on Phoenix Audi!!

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
    F1
    Good start for mclaren but seem to be falling away in pace now. They seem to be holding up the rest of the field.

The sky commentary can be really bloody annoying at times. Going on about Perez going around the bollard for ages when it was pointed out ages ago that he passed a car by cutting the chicane.

I'll say one thing for the broadcast that they've finally seemed to be improving - instead of watching two Mercedes follow each other around the track for fifty laps, they're actually giving some really good views of the midfield battles that are going on.

Lap 15 and I don't think we've seen a camera view of the Mercs at all yet.

how the hell is Hamilton 3.5 seconds ahead of Bottas within the first third of the race

At 6 seconds they aren’t really close anymore either. The midfield is looking fun though, as is Verstappen v Vettel

Dhalphir wrote: »
    how the hell is Hamilton 3.5 seconds ahead of Bottas within the first third of the race
    Now 8s after 23 laps, dude is fast!

steam_sig.png
    this is bonkers, has Bottas got some problem? There hasn't been this big a gap between the two of them all season.

• TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    so we can give the trophy to Mercedes and Hamilton, huh? Cause even Bottas cant keep up with him

this is normally the time of the season where Lewis stops cruising and goes for the win, and he's already ahead as it was. If this is what we can expect more of then it's going to be a slaughter. Bottas won't come close, let alone Ferrari, if this is the Hamilton we're going to see for the rest of the year.

Nurburgring 24hr silliness

steam_sig.png
    This is absolutely Hamiltons championship to lose. He and Mercedes are the only ones that can stop themselves from winning every week.

Feel bad for Norris. Had such a good race and then is passed by 3 cars at once. The investigation for leaving the track could be interesting though.

Overall, a boring race with a fun ending.

This discussion has been closed.