As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Anthem] Death from Above ! and Sideways ! sometimes even from Below !

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    The games as a service model is driving a lot of people I know away from gaming in general. I'm in my late 30s and it's kind of a bummer that a hobby my friends and I still shared even with busy adult life is actively pushing me away.

MMOs got away with it because of the social content. Even Diablo you could see other people and interact in town.

Games as a service is probably not even bad out of context. There have always been subscription games.

Release incomplete now, finish later and charge more money for it is the implication now though.

I really enjoyed the Anthem tests on the assumption that was a slice of gameplay. When it turned out that wasn't just a slice, it gets hard to not be bitter.

• Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    JOE_1967 wrote: »
    For anyone (such as myself) who's been following the discussion but didn't actually own the game, it's currently on sale for $30 ($40 for Legion of Dawn). Which, for me at least, seems like a reasonable cost to play it single-player.

Repeating myself just so this isn't lost at the bottom of a page.

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Started playing again after a break. I am now only 10 tyrant mines and a contract away from finishing the rep grind.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Finally I am free of the Tyrant Mine.

6zo6goihzxd5.jpg

Arcanist rep is the worst grind despite being the shortest. Sentinel is Heart of Rage which is quick on GM1, good drops and fun enough that it's easy to chain. Freelancer has two strongholds now so you can mix it up.

Tyrant Mine is butts. Crap drops. People who stop to kill everything slow things down way more than in the other strongholds. It takes forever even without people doing that. People who don't stand on the point are awful. Having to wait for everyone to catch up before entering that room is awful. The first area is soooooo slow with having to fly back and forth with the echos and where all the enemies are.

Very much looking forward to never playing it again if possible.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    if that's the cloth/material you get for doing that, it was truly worth the grind.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Cloth was one of the cosmetic chest thing rewards I think. The gold is from the grind.

edit: although I got all the cosmetic chest rewards because I was rep grinding strongholds so I guess it counts.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    that is one pimping gold mega grats bob

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I should really load this up and see how it plays now.

I mostly fell off of it because even after the initial tweaks to the flight controls I still didn't like the way it felt with a mouse.

Like Warframe's Archwing stuff felt better and that's uh, that's not good.

• Options
    Is it wrong of me hoping that the cata event has factions easier to acquire so I can get the gold without your insane grind? Am I invalidating your success Bob for wishing that?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Doesn't bother me if there is easier rep gain coming.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    evilbob wrote: »
    Doesn't bother me if there is easier rep gain coming.

Well that's very big of you my brother. I know its not universal in the video game world when something hard is made easier.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    I mean the challenge rewards aren't all I got from the grind.

My 163 (if I added it up right) Legendaries:
    Heavy Pistols:
    Avenging Herald
    Close Encounter x5
    Glorious Result

Shotguns:
    Papa Pump x3
    Radiant Fortress x4
    Rolling Carnage x7

Assault Rifles:
    Divine Vengeance x2
    Elemental Rage
    Ralner's Blaze

Marksman Rifles:
    Death From Above
    Soothing Touch x2
    Thunderbolt of Yvenia x3

Machine Pistols:
    Retaliation of Garretus x2
    Unending Battle x4
    Vassa's Surprise x2

LMGs:
    Artinia's Gambit x5
    Cycle of Pain x3
    Renewed Courage

Sniper Rifles:
    Siege Breaker x3
    Truth of Tarsis x3
    Wyvern Blitz x6

Autocannons:
    Endless Siege
    Fist of Stral

Grenade Launchers:
    Insult And Injury
    Sentinel's Vengeance

Universal Components:
    Acid Slugs x2
    Bloodlust x2
    Emergency Power
    Feedback Loop
    Giant Slayer x2
    Rejuvenating Ammo x2
    Softened Blows x2
    Symbiotic Surge x2

Ranger Components:
    Tactical Advantage

Colossus Components:
    Shock Treatment

Storm Components:
    Gunslinger's Mark
    Mark of Clarity x2
    Token of the Master
    Token of the Pupil
    Vanguard's Token

Interceptor Components:
    Conductive Lattice x2
    Elusive Talisman x2
    Survival Algorithm x3
    Vengeance Matrix x2
    Way of Integration
    Way of Resolve x3
    Way of Salvage x3
    Way of the Bold x4
    Way of the Swift x3

Ranger Gear:
    Last Argument

Storm Gear:
    Binary Star

Colossus Gear:
    Black Powder
    Fist of the Crucible
    Solvent Green
    Vassa's Arc x2
    Voltaic Dome

Interceptor Gear:
    Absolute Zero x7
    Bitter Harvest x5
    Cariff's Talon x3
    Raneri's Charge x6
    Sanadeen's Respite x4
    Serpent's Veil x8
    Shadow Claw x5
    Sudden Death x2
    Viper's Bite x6

edit: which with 549 hours played puts me at 1 every 3.3 hours. Was not expecting it to be that little time per Leg honestly given that includes game open but not playing, time played pre-level 30, mostly been on GM1, etc.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    So you are one of the very few people who no longer has the scaffolding near Brynn, right?

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    I still don't understand why folks are so crazy negative right now. Reaper of Souls came out roughly 2 years after Diablo 3 and is generally considered the point the game became fun long term. And Diablo 3 was in better shape then Anthem at launch. Do people think EA is keeping every single Bioware staff member working Anthem DLC at crunch pace? I wouldn't even want to support the game if that was case.

I'm excited to jump back in when the event is released and see if a lot of the bugs I was running into at launch are better.

I think it has more to do that people expect a certain level of completeness at launch. I sure as heck didn't support Warframe until last year when I threw some bucks at it. Nothing I've seen has convinced me Anthem is worth the gamer bucks when there's more out there to play.

• Options
    So you are one of the very few people who no longer has the scaffolding near Brynn, right?

There's still a bit on the sides of the building but yes.
    qe3tqe90x3rz.jpg

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    morgan_cokemorgan_coke Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Don't know if anyone has seen this yet, but figured I'd share, it's pretty funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw9s-mOxPms

morgan_coke on
    XBL: Morgan Coke Yes, there is a space, not an underscore. I'm old school like that.
    Battle.net: morgancoke#1589

Titan's Creed: Jump first, don't ask questions, punch everything
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Yeah I'm sure everyone's seen that video on YouTube since Anthem's launch in some form or other lol

I like HGT but these bros are ultra late to the punch

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Man pcgamer loves to throw up sad articles about Anthem and the comment sections are toxic.

I’m also taking a break until the arrival of new content but I had a lot of fun getting gear for 3/4 suits.

I used controller though, it felt so much better then then play with kbam.

I know it’s been said before but the game play needs to be lifted into an iron man game.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Dixon wrote: »
    Man pcgamer loves to throw up sad articles about Anthem and the comment sections are toxic.

Comments sections are toxic everywhere. For any game.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I'm super curious to see how Crystal Dynamic's actual third person Iron Man controls, just to see if they can nail it the same way BioWare did

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Don't know if anyone has seen this yet, but figured I'd share, it's pretty funny.

Unrelated, but is that the same game trailers group that it's always been? What happened to the old voice guy?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Dixon wrote: »

Comments sections are toxic everywhere. For any game.

But usually it’s toxic with perspectives on both sides of the coin.

For anything Anthem it’s just allllllll hate. The funny thing is they even state half the time they have never played the game.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Unrelated, but is that the same game trailers group that it's always been? What happened to the old voice guy?

He "left the team" or something, not much detail was given. It's supposed to be a rotating roster of voices now.

I think it's just been that one guy. They did Anthem, The Division 2 and uh... I think another one since they came back.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    "Just play Warframe"

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    hey I just won a free copy of this and am installing it tonight

anything I should know? Are there guilds or clans or whatever/is there a PA one?

• Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    hey I just won a free copy of this and am installing it tonight

anything I should know? Are there guilds or clans or whatever/is there a PA one?

No clans you get bonus's from people in your friends list playing the game/you playing.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Headed back in to clean up and complete Anthem... wound up having to start a new pilot to get the collectible achievement to tick off. The "?" thing on the compass is one of the best QoL things they put in. A lot of lower level players out there still. Hopped back on my main and did a run of Tyrant Mine on hard and I was the only level 30 guy, the others were like, level 15. o_o

Just have to grind my way to a MW jav and I'll be done, so I had to up the difficulty to GM1. I guess Epic items cap out at 38 power... all the drops I got from my first were 38. Got a Radiant Fortress that dropped at 75, so IDK. We'll see how it goes.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Headed back in to clean up and complete Anthem... wound up having to start a new pilot to get the collectible achievement to tick off. The "?" thing on the compass is one of the best QoL things they put in. A lot of lower level players out there still. Hopped back on my main and did a run of Tyrant Mine on hard and I was the only level 30 guy, the others were like, level 15. o_o

Just have to grind my way to a MW jav and I'll be done, so I had to up the difficulty to GM1. I guess Epic items cap out at 38 power... all the drops I got from my first were 38. Got a Radiant Fortress that dropped at 75, so IDK. We'll see how it goes.

Hard only has a restricted MW pool of some of the weapons. You need to play on GM1 or above to have all drops available. Also play literally any other Stronghold. Tyrant Mine is the worst. Slowest, least fun, worst drops. Heart of Rage is the best imo.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    oh, I just picked a random stronghold. majority of my time in this game has just been freeplay

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Picked up Tip of the Spear on my first stronghold today. Hadn't played in a while, so this is a nice welcome back. Question. Just got a masterwork component. However, its armor and shield stats are lower than my epic ones. Equip it just for the 61 total power or no?

• Options
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Picked up Tip of the Spear on my first stronghold today. Hadn't played in a while, so this is a nice welcome back. Question. Just got a masterwork component. However, its armor and shield stats are lower than my epic ones. Equip it just for the 61 total power or no?

Depends on how you find yourself playing. I never really rolled with generic masterworks because of the lesser shields and armor, but I tend to be right up in the action and getting damaged like all the time. Even as a stormy boy.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    We can add another bug to the list. None of the faction rewards have been added to my inventory. No blueprints, no new armor appearance items, nothing. Is there something more you are supposed to do after you max rep?

• Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Has a date been set for the cataclysm?

Friend looked yesterday and it still wasn't live.

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I actually think EA is going to invest in this game long term, surprisingly. It might truly get the Diablo III treatment. There were some recent articles with EA heads owning up to some problems (some of the late game multi not being well designed for multi for example), but then the EA CEO himself says he wants to see a 7-10 year tail on the game. That's a really concrete date from someone whose statements I think you'd expect to believe.

I'll probably keep an eye for one of the next mega sales on this and pick it up for sub $20 to putz around.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I actually think EA is going to invest in this game long term, surprisingly. It might truly get the Diablo III treatment. There were some recent articles with EA heads owning up to some problems (some of the late game multi not being well designed for multi for example), but then the EA CEO himself says he wants to see a 7-10 year tail on the game. That's a really concrete date from someone whose statements I think you'd expect to believe.

I'll probably keep an eye for one of the next mega sales on this and pick it up for sub $20 to putz around.

Or that's just the usual PR spin. Of course he wants the game to last 7-10 years and make EA money for a long time, but whether or not that actually happens is still up in the air. They want to project confidence, even if internally they're worried or uncertain... your post is exactly why.

That said, EA does seem pretty dedicated to fixing things and it's not impossible things could turn around, so we'll see.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    I do think 7-10 years is completely bonkers and they don't literally mean that, but they are sending a clear message of commitment to the game since they're committing to the long term they've seen the same success in, say, Ubisoft games

Also again, purely anecdotal but I keep Quick Playing into groups of level 5-10s, so unless people are resetting their pilots constantly the game does seem to be picking up new players on the reg

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Also again, purely anecdotal but I keep Quick Playing into groups of level 5-10s, so unless people are resetting their pilots constantly the game does seem to be picking up new players on the reg

I see the game on sale regularly so it’s probably that a lot of people were keen on the game, but not at full price after the reviews.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    How are the bugs
    I do think 7-10 years is completely bonkers and they don't literally mean that, but they are sending a clear message of commitment to the game since they're committing to the long term they've seen the same success in, say, Ubisoft games

idk, Diablo 3 came out in 2012. So it's had a pretty long lifespan. If they fix the main issues with the game and put a realistic roadmap for more content, it could last that long. They hired a bunch of positions around loot design and such. The issue is that was back in April and given how long it'll take people to get up to speed, design a plan, and then implement that plan, I'll be some time before we see the fruits of their labors.

I'm planning on jumping back in here soon. I'm hoping the bugs have been mostly fixed for a main campaign play through.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    I'm guardedly optimistic about continued support for Anthem. ea were singing the same line about Mass Effect Andromeda how they wanted to offer continued support and then canned all future DLC for it. Granted this "live service" game model they're pursuing offers potentially more revenue opportunity than Mass Effect, but I don't know frankly. And if Bioware Austin is in charge right now, that studio is also supporting their online Star Wars game. They're a fairly small sub-studio right? I'm not sure what kind of massive content overhaul they can deliver by themselves if the main studio is transitioning back to DA4.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    I keep waiting for a free 'please come back' weekend type deal.