As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] Cardboard Action at a Distance

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I sleeve basically everything. If you shuffle it even once I sleeve it. If you never shuffle it I might sleeve it anyways — like the Bird cards in Root that set your initial actions; they were peeling when they got jammed under the player board, so I sleeved them.

Part of it is to protect the cards but partly it’s just because after years of Magic and Netrunner I hate shuffling and holding unsleeved cards. Similarly, no penny sleeves because ugh those feel terrible.

Normal size cards go in UltraPros. Otherwise it’s whatever I can find — FFG, Mayfair, BoardGameSleeve.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Do you like Aeon's End? Did you miss out on it and don't want to spend a lot to play? Well, you're in luck because the game just went into Steam's Early Access. Sadly it doesn't have online multiplayer, so it's just solo or local co-op.

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    The digital version Talisman is on sale on ps4 for $9, if anyone wants to play digital Talisman. It comes with all the expansions. It's a pretty fun thing to play sometimes I think.

• Options
    Also, today was a pretty good mail day

pic4806980.jpg

Big Arkham trade came in, and pax Pamir on top. I don't know where to start!!!!

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    I'm having friends over for a board game night next Saturday, and am hoping I can read up and learn Pax Pamir before then.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
  • Options
    Yea, the Kickstarter for the new second edition is delivering now.

• Options
    Man I don't know how the actual game is yet but pax Pamir is the nicest boardgame production I have seen. It's just beautiful.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    really regretting not getting in on that now

I went back and forth on it! It is made worse by knowing they’re not selling it!

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    You can still order it from them if you want to get all fomo on it ;) not sure if it's for sale through their website or backerkit or what at this point, but it's definitely buyable for the moment.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Today’s Twilight Imperium 4th Ed game lasted from about 9:30am to about 8:00pm

And I fucking won!

I am so jazzed!

I took the Ghosts of Creuss and ended up with very little board presence, but I eked out the victory in the end, mostly by seriously good political maneuvering, carrying three alliances (in a five player game) the whole time and keeping them from dogpiling even as I remained slightly in the lead the whole time. So good (and very different from my usual method of wormhole + speed tech = force projection). Man, what a great gaming session.

Astaereth on
    ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »

And I fucking won!

I am so jazzed!

I took the Ghosts of Creuss and ended up with very little board presence, but I eked out the victory in the end, mostly by seriously good political maneuvering, carrying three alliances (in a five player game) the whole time and keeping them from dogpiling even as I remained slightly in the lead the whole time. So good (and very different from my usual method of wormhole + speed tech = force projection). Man, what a great gaming session.

So in a game this long, how did the other players feel after everything was done?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

And I fucking won!

I am so jazzed!

I'm really curious what took so long.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Uh oh, I bought Feast for Odin and the expansion

Uh oh, it seems really really good

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

And I fucking won!

I am so jazzed!

So in a game this long, how did the other players feel after everything was done?

Final score was like 5 - 5 - 9 - 9 - 10. The two 5s (Mentak and Yssaril) were not quite so happy by the end (Yssaril lost their home system in the last round, and Mentak was stymied in their big play for Mecatol Rex due to a Parley card, after which they knew they had lost). One of the 9s, the Federation of Sol, took Rex early with a single ship and infantry unit, but failed to get Imperium to profit off it, so it took a while for anyone to challenge him for the system. Meanwhile he was building up massive military forces nearby, and after playing Parley ended up punishing the Mentak by obliterating the Mentak forces on Rex and taking the system back. That all got him to 9 points in the last status phase and he was satisfied with, if not winning, at least achieving his personal goal of retaking Rex. The other 9, the Nekro Virus, played pretty well all game, amassing a lot of tech upgrades, playing smartly during agenda phases, roleplaying the Virus with great zeal, and ultimately coming within a hair’s breadth of winning (if Yssaril hadn’t stopped further combat with an action card, the Virus might have been able to fulfill a secret objective during the action phase, putting it at 10 before I could claim my winning 3 points during the status phase). It was his idea to put the TI game together and he had a lot of fun playing. I think we all had a pretty good time, nobody got upset or anything. They would all play again I think.
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

I'm really curious what took so long.

The Virus and I played TI 3rd about 5 or 6 times a long time ago, always taking roughly 12 hours to play. Maybe our group just does more negotiating and dealmaking than most? We had a lot of secret negotiations (which we did via Messenger on our phones, because things get even slower when people have to leave the room to make and check on deals), and some amount of AP, certainly. There were some rules discussions.

(This included one exciting argument. The Virus and I were allies, and it was agreed that I would vacate a neighboring system, leaving only a single fighter, with the intention that the Virus would move in and defeat the fighter, claim the benefit of winning a combat which meant he could copy one of my technologies. In exchange he promised not to take the planet.

I moved out but the Virus didn’t move in for a round or two, by which point I has forgotten our deal and was legitimately annoyed at this apparent backstabbing by an ally. In the interim I had put a PDS on the planet (trying to fulfill a secret objective of owning 4 PDS units). The Virus moved a carrier and 4 fighters into the system. On the previous turn I had purchased a tech upgrade which meant that any hits off my PDS’ Space Cannon attack would have to be applied to non-fighter ships. I rolled well and thanks to the tech, my PDS blew up his carrier. This meant that, at the end of combat, after his fighters had killed my one fighter, all his fighters were over his system capacity of zero and blew up.

This triggered a rather heated argument, in which the Virus said that he had thought that fighters only needed to be carried by ship capacity if the number of fighters exceeded his Fleet pool limit (which is not accurate), and that he didn’t know I’d upgraded my technology (tech is public knowledge but for speed’s sake we never announced what we were getting there). The Virus argued he should be allowed to rewind and choose his attack force differently and replay the move in light of these new facts. I argued that a die had been rolled, that it was on him to check the tech of another player before attacking them, that it was pretty far into the game to be getting do-overs, and that he shouldn’t get a second chance to betray me more effectively. Eventually the Virus backed down and let his force die—he got the tech copy from killing my fighter, anyway, so I think he was okay with it. Afterwards I realized my mistake, that this “betrayal” had been planned and agreed to, so I messaged the Virus claiming to have just been acting angry to make it look good for the others so they wouldn’t suspect our alliance. That seemed to work and we stayed allies the rest of the game.)

Anyway. I’m honestly not sure how people play this game all that quickly, other than obviously fewer players is a lot faster. In my experience the game consistently takes about 2 hours per player no matter how big or small the group. To be fair, this is the first time we’ve actually finished a game of 4th edition, though, having abandoned three other games halfway through due to scheduling conflicts. This time we committed to starting at 9:00am, ordering food delivered during, and going as long as it took to finish. The only way, really.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    I've had games of TI that were very active and we still gave up after sixteen hours.

If everybody's playing skillfully and negotiating creatively, it can be very hard for anyone to threaten a win without literally the whole table uniting to stop them, which requires massive negotiation, which takes time. If several win contenders are knocked down, it can prolong the game. The shorter games I've played have been more uneven in terms of the scope of each player's vision.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I've rarely had games exceed one hour per player. Maybe 90 minutes for the brand new ones.

Seeing all this trip reports of twelve hour plus long games just seems alien and I'm really curious to see if there is a reason beyond just slow play. It doesn't seem like it though.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    we definitely did not have AP or distracted players. It was very focused. There's a massive amount of discussion, is the best I can do.

With new players in a six player game, it took 2.5 hours to pick races, explain the rules, set up the game, and build the galaxy, but that still leaves 15.5 hours of actual play.

Basically, I think I need to come play with you and Bogart. Get some 4 hour games in!

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Played Photosynthesis tonight!

2p learning game with my wife. We learned that the game is actually chess with trees and your opening moves can dictate how your game will play out. :bigfrown: I'm eager to get it to the table with 4. :biggrin:

Honestly I enjoyed it. I made mistakes after a seemingly good start that then put us on more even terms before pulling out a narrow win in the end. Planning ahead to have the resources to buy the tree you want, then plant/grow that tree, when the sun is going to benefit you, is a lot to track.

The readying of trees to be available to then have to spend more again to plant is probably the most confusing aspect, but we managed to grok it without much hassle/forgetfulness.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Played Photosynthesis tonight!

2p learning game with my wife. We learned that the game is actually chess with trees and your opening moves can dictate how your game will play out. :bigfrown: I'm eager to get it to the table with 4. :biggrin:

Honestly I enjoyed it. I made mistakes after a seemingly good start that then put us on more even terms before pulling out a narrow win in the end. Planning ahead to have the resources to buy the tree you want, then plant/grow that tree, when the sun is going to benefit you, is a lot to track.

The readying of trees to be available to then have to spend more again to plant is probably the most confusing aspect, but we managed to grok it without much hassle/forgetfulness.

Yeah the amount of forward planning required for this game doesn't really hit you until halfway through your first session when you've already been wrecked by not having done it.

• Options
    jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Ah_Pook wrote: »

Dang, I LOVE Pax Pamir, though it's a weird and sometimes difficult beast. I have the version that's just cards, and I kind of hold it up as the paragon of "what's possible with just cards". I don't have anything even remotely like it. It creates amazing "game stories".

jergarmar on
    When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Regarding dropping $1400 on Cthulhu Wars: I wouldn't advise it.

I'm very happy to have spent $400 or $500 on it, which is already exorbitant, but it provided so many options and choices that we still haven't explored them all. We probably brought it to the table more than 50 times, though it hasn't made it back to the table in a while (largely because we got into Warmachine and everyone loves Inis for an area control game).

$1400 is enough for a great gaming PC or a VR setup or a short vacation, or 7 other premium board games — I think there are diminishing returns going all in on a single boardgame, by contrast

• Options
    jergarmar wrote: »
    Ah_Pook wrote: »

Dang, I LOVE Pax Pamir, though it's a weird and sometimes difficult beast. I have the version that's just cards, and I kind of hold it up as the paragon of "what's possible with just cards". I don't have anything even remotely like it. It creates amazing "game stories".

I think I've already gushed here about Pax Renaissance, which I have only ever played 1v1 with my partner and absolutely love it for that while being incapable of imagining playing it with any more players. It's such a weird little mess of a game where you have the power to manipulate everything on the board but often have no idea how to do it.

We played a learning game of Pax Pamir 2e on Saturday and it's far more manageable while maintaining a lot of the cleverness, variety of play, and storytelling gameplay of Renaissance. I could actually imagine (and would expect it to shine) playing Pamir with 3-4 players.

Also the component design is just incredible.

• Options
    JustTeeJustTee Registered User regular
    I *finally* got Brass: Birmingham to the table. I screwed up a bunch of rules, stumbled through one of my worst rules explanations ever, it took entirely too long because I kept having to look things up that I wasn't super clear on...

And yet, 3 hours later, all 3 of us had an absolute blast. I can't stop thinking about the dang game and need to get it back to the table and play it correctly. Man...there's just a whole lot there.

If it takes 3 hours with 3 players even in repeat plays, I might cool on it a bit. But I definitely think it'll be much faster once we all know what we're doing. I don't know if I like it or Hansa Tuetonica better as my go to "simple but meaty" euro...but I think both will end up finding permanent spots on my shelf.

Diagnosed with AML on 6/1/12. Read about it: www.effleukemia.com
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I've been playing One Deck Dungeon non-stop since I bought it last week on iOS. What a great, albeit difficult, game. Definitely happy I got it digitally though, seems like the components would really slow things down a lot.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    3 hrs for Brass doesn't seem bad. I've spent 3hrs playing games that should have finished in 1-1 1/2.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I've been playing One Deck Dungeon non-stop since I bought it last week on iOS. What a great, albeit difficult, game. Definitely happy I got it digitally though, seems like the components would really slow things down a lot.

It's actually not that bad. Just a fistful of dice, really.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Vyolynce wrote: »

It's actually not that bad. Just a fistful of dice, really.
    Yeah, I played it two-player and it was a delight and not at all impaired by the components. I don't think about that game often, but I'd definitely recommend it to people looking for a solid, compact, hugely unimposing solitaire/co-op experience~

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Regarding dropping $1400 on Cthulhu Wars: I wouldn't advise it.

I'm very happy to have spent $400 or $500 on it, which is already exorbitant, but it provided so many options and choices that we still haven't explored them all. We probably brought it to the table more than 50 times, though it hasn't made it back to the table in a while (largely because we got into Warmachine and everyone loves Inis for an area control game).

$1400 is enough for a great gaming PC or a VR setup or a short vacation, or 7 other premium board games — I think there are diminishing returns going all in on a single boardgame, by contrast

Yeah, I wound up going with the more highly-recommended factions, a couple maps, the high priests expansion, the errata pack, and the hardcover rulebook. Few hundred on top of the core game but a lot less than the whole kit.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    That sounds like a good level of personal indulgence. I hope you enjoy what you got in the end.

• Options
    JustTeeJustTee Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    3 hrs for Brass doesn't seem bad. I've spent 3hrs playing games that should have finished in 1-1 1/2.

I'm, unfortunately, not in a place where I can have *too* many games that play in 3 hours. They're just a whole lot harder to get to the table, and I have a lot fewer players that are interested. So B:B, while an amazing game that I thoroughly enjoyed, I don't know if it earns a place on the shelf when compared to, say, Hansa Teutonica. If, at 3 players, it can play more along the lines of a 2 hour game, I think it's a much easier sell, as I think it's definitely prettier and more tactile and a bit less brutal than Hansa.

Hansa is faster, simpler to teach, plays 1 more player, and is about equally as fiddly as B;B. Both have tactile elements that I enjoy, though I like that as you remove things in Hansa you get stronger, whereas in Brass, as you remove things, things get more expensive (while also getting "better", depending on your track).

Brass might ultimately end up staying in my collection simply because my fiancee prefers games where the player interaction is a bit less direct than Hansa, which I think B:B does pretty well. So, she disliked Blue Lagoon greatly, hated Blood Rage, but is luke warm about Hansa, and a bit warmer towards B:B.

Diagnosed with AML on 6/1/12. Read about it: www.effleukemia.com
  • Options
    Uncle_BalsamicUncle_Balsamic Registered User regular
    I'm currently very tempted to try and get hold of Pax Pamir 2e. I've seen a few play throughs and it looks real interesting to me.

That said, it is slightly pricey, and I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts about it maybe occupying a similar place to Inis?
    I realise it's barely similar mechanically, but my group of friends really like Inis and I'm not sure whether another backstabby, area/influence control game would be redundant.

2LmjIWB.png
  • Options
    I'm currently very tempted to try and get hold of Pax Pamir 2e. I've seen a few play throughs and it looks real interesting to me.

That said, it is slightly pricey, and I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts about it maybe occupying a similar place to Inis?
    I realise it's barely similar mechanically, but my group of friends really like Inis and I'm not sure whether another backstabby, area/influence control game would be redundant.

I wouldn't really call Pamir an area/influence control game at all. It's a tableau-building direct conflict game with a board. Calling Pamir an area control game would be like calling Inis a drafting game: it contains drafting, but it's not drafting.

• Options
    jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    admanb wrote: »

I wouldn't really call Pamir an area/influence control game at all. It's a tableau-building direct conflict game with a board. Calling Pamir an area control game would be like calling Inis a drafting game: it contains drafting, but it's not drafting.

Well, I would call Inis a drafting game way before I would call Pamir an area/influence control game. I think you've pegged it, calling it a tableau-building game first. I think that's the heart of it, no question.

When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    I think brass can comfortably be a 2 hour game of everyone knows what they are doing

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Uncle_BalsamicUncle_Balsamic Registered User regular
    Cheers all

2LmjIWB.png
  • Options
    Bcch
    Do you like Aeon's End? Did you miss out on it and don't want to spend a lot to play? Well, you're in luck because the game just went into Steam's Early Access. Sadly it doesn't have online multiplayer, so it's just solo or local co-op.
    psyck0 wrote: »
    I think brass can comfortably be a 2 hour game of everyone knows what they are doing
    psyck0 wrote: »

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    psyck0 are you okay

• Options
    edited June 2019
    so my girlfriend was convinced she didn't like board games

I argued this was because when we had been to my friends' they, against my wishes, only had her play more convoluted stuff like Everdell and Gunkimono and Between Two Cities, all of which she hated and made her want to swear off the entire concept

yesterday I got her to sit down and play some stuff for a while and got her with the hat trick of Carcassonne, Quoridor, and Azul, and now her disposition has completely flipped

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Oh my god what HAPPENED! The hazards of phone posting I guess. I'm just going to leave it like that because I am still laughing.

steam_sig.png