As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Plug 'n Play Paradise: The Most 'Mini' Thing About Genesis Mini 2 Is How Many They'll Make

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Yeah. I missed the Toys R Us experience. It was mostly Walmart. I did go to KB Toys once in a blue moon. Toy stores have such great atmosphere.

Mail order is really killing things.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Yeah. I missed the Toys R Us experience. It was mostly Walmart. I did go to KB Toys once in a blue moon. Toy stores have such great atmosphere.

Greedy hedge funds are really killing things.

Fixed.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Krathoon wrote: »

Mail order is really killing things.

It was an experience... Oddly my TRU had a certain smell to it that I can never describe (but still remember to this day).

To be honest, people overall have killed all of it. Call it greed, cheap, whatever, but people have killed a lot of things that were fun.

Edit: Sorry for that last line. Was in a mood and yeah, sorry. So anyways, are they finished with the entire Sega Mini game list? I haven't paid attention in a while.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    The malls keep dying around St. Louis. Chesterfield and the Gallaria are still going. Crestwood is now just an empty field.

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Aladdin on SNES and Genesis are both great games that deserve to be played. Some of what makes the Genesis version so fun is the joy of its animation, sure, but I think that's a legit quality.

hashtag endconsolewars

• RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    It was never really about console wars crap for me. I guess you could say I’m biased towards better games - it just happened I felt the better games were more often on Nintendo. Never had a problem acknowledging that Streets of Rage on Genesis was far superior to Final Fight on SNES. Until I played it I thought that Genesis had the better Aladdin game based on looks alone. Strip the animation away and I just don’t think it’s fun. Same to this day, something like Cuphead has impressive animation but it’s not something I’d call fun.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    Of those 4 million Genesis Aladdin sales, I wonder how many actually beat it. 40,000?

edited June 2019
    I never owned Genesis Aladdin but I do recall beating it. I remember Jafar being particularly frustrating to beat but I can’t say why.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Aladdin on SNES and Genesis are both great games that deserve to be played. Some of what makes the Genesis version so fun is the joy of its animation, sure, but I think that's a legit quality.

hashtag endconsolewars

I remember people arguing in favor of the Genesis version because Aladdin uses a sword.

"Oh yeah, just like in the movie! ...for all of three seconds, at the end."

While Genesis' visuals were more faithful to the film, the more parkour-styled gameplay seemed truer to the character to me.

Incidentally, I've not had the pleasure of playing either...

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    Not exactly plug 'n' play but looks neat for those of us who grew up with the games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RiB5XiD1Tc

Hope I can get that before they’re C&D’d.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    Not exactly plug 'n' play but looks neat for those of us who grew up with the games:

Ok, who's the current rights owner of TMNT games and how long will it take them to publish this legally?

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Hmm that looks interesting

edited June 2019

Yeah. The lawyers will come a knockin'.

Krathoon on
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    That guy has fan games/remakes on his site going back to 2014, and more on the way.

Still, grab it while you can just in case!

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular

Allow me to make that TMNT fan game even more relevant to this thread: it runs on the OpenBOR engine, which apparently runs on the NES/SNES Classic. Now the caveat here is that I've never personally tried it and I have no idea what the performance is like, but I do occasionally see people asking for help on getting OpenBOR running.

Regardless, I'll download this for later use.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    I'm intrigued, but not enough to buy one since I have no emotional attachment to the Commodore. The Mini was good enough for me to pick up since I remembered it as a competitor to the Apple ][. I played that a while and now it is back in the box for now.

We're one step closer to an Apple ][ mini!!! Yeah right.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    i kinda want that
    pls

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular

Betsuni wrote: »
    I'm intrigued, but not enough to buy one since I have no emotional attachment to the Commodore. The Mini was good enough for me to pick up since I remembered it as a competitor to the Apple ][. I played that a while and now it is back in the box for now.

We're one step closer to an Apple ][ mini!!! Yeah right.

I do actually want one of those (Apple ][), but only if in addition to the games it lets you program in BASIC.

Bonus points if you get to choose between green and amber monochrome monitor.

There is a new version of the Super Retrocade. It is supposed to perform better. It would have been nice if they had an option to flash the firmware on the older one.
    https://youtu.be/UkYcvPjpH8g

Funny. I bought the ver 1 a while ago since I saw Bad Dudes was on it. Didn't care for the really blurred graphics so now I know. Didn't know how modifiable this thing was though. Now I gotta check it out.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    We have a local bigbox discount store in town (Hudsons) that apparently has some of the asteroids arcade1up machines. Some friends of mine are keeping an eye on them to see how much they're discounted. I think they operate on a weekly schedule, so every week they don't sell, they discount them more. They hopefully will reach about 60$, and my group might be swiping the lot if they get to that point. I'd be turning mine into something more useful though.

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
    So I picked up a C64 Mini a few weeks ago as a birthday gift for my wife. We finally hooked it up a few days ago.

Holy crap, that controller really is dogshit.

And while the FAQ says that many other USB control pads are supported, both the Xbox 360 and Xbox One controllers do not work. I might have to pick up a USB adapter for PS1 or PS2 controllers to properly enjoy this thing.

Oh well, we still had some fun with Jumpman for a bit. Until I kept accidentally hitting the small triangular button to the upper left of the joystick, which resets the game.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I didn't see anyone else share it, but Digital Foundry looked at the Polymega multi-machine console shown off at E3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p5UXKLniRQ

Multi-machine emulator hardware that doesn't suck (and isn't just a PC?). Time will tell. It looks slick, certainly.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Damn I wish I could buy one. I hate my country.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I need to check on the state of the sideloading/hacking community for it. I never owned an original Playstation, so there's a certain novelty appeal (I could live without those controllers though).

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I forgot about this thread, so I'll post here as well.

I'm trying to decide between an MK Trilogy Arcade1Up cabinet and the new Marvel cabinet coming out next month with Marvel Super Heroes, X-Men: Children of the Atom, and The Punisher on it. I'm having a hell of a time deciding and set up a poll to help.

There are reasons for wanting and not wanting both. For MK, I love the crap out of MK, grew up on MK and would play 2 and 3 like hell. Though with the Marvel Cabinet, while I'd not have the nostalgia factor and likely not play the fighting games as much (I'd still play them as I do love fighting games in general), I do like the idea of having a palate cleanser of a beat-em-up with The Punisher so that it's not just all fighting games all the time. The Marvel cabinet also has a more standardized button layout that would make it easier to eventually mod in the future with more games.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    Aw darn, I can't vote since I don't have Twitter. I was going to say go with the MK cabinet even though you said you are thinking of modding it later on. Mainly because I believe that there would be more MK fans than Marvel ones so if you decide to dump it you'll more likely to find a buyer of the MK cabinet. Plus you have more of a connection with the games and will less likely get annoyed with it.

Besides, I'm sure that there will or is a button board you can swap with the controllers to make it more universal.

oosik_betsuni.png
    MK getting crushed.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    So I was able to get a Playstation Classic for 5 bucks. That was worth it.

Now to decide if I want to try adding some other games to it to make it slightly less crappy. I don't really have a great way to play my old discs any longer and the classic would be the easiest way to do it.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    For $5 it is even worth it as an unworking unit sitting on a table somewhere.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

Now to decide if I want to try adding some other games to it to make it slightly less crappy. I don't really have a great way to play my old discs any longer and the classic would be the easiest way to do it.

I assume that's nice and easy to do now? I've not been following it.

Jazz on
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Aw darn, I can't vote since I don't have Twitter. I was going to say go with the MK cabinet even though you said you are thinking of modding it later on. Mainly because I believe that there would be more MK fans than Marvel ones so if you decide to dump it you'll more likely to find a buyer of the MK cabinet. Plus you have more of a connection with the games and will less likely get annoyed with it.

Besides, I'm sure that there will or is a button board you can swap with the controllers to make it more universal.

You make a good point of resell-ability.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    Jazz wrote: »

From my occasional poking in on that side of the Discord I'm in, it's still not nearly as elegant as the NES/SNES Classic stuff. I think part of that can be blamed on Sony's UI.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

The tutorial I watched makes it sound really easy, but then again who knows, I'm not the smartest person when it comes to that stuff. It all intimidates me.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    I just thought of another point for MK and against the Marvel cab. If at some point down the road Arcade1up came out with a MvC cabinet, I'd kick myself to the Moon and back for getting the Marvel cab. I wouldn't ever have to worry about that with MK.

I suppose it might be different for a big MK fan, but I would personally only consider that cabinet as having two games, since Mortal Kombat was made essentially obsolete by Mortal Kombat 2 and 3, IMDO.

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I suppose it might be different for a big MK fan, but I would personally only consider that cabinet as having two games, since Mortal Kombat was made essentially obsolete by Mortal Kombat 2 and 3, IMDO.

I also think the layout if the buttons, while good for mk, would end up being annoying as how do you own one and not get the urge to add more games?