As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Achewood Appreciation

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I can't believe the great outdoor fight is over 10 years old

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

Feels like it never ended.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

Feels like it never ended.

In retrospect, it's amazing it happened the way it did, and that Onstad never returned to that well.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Onstad did an interview just a couple weeks ago talking about Achewood and its future.

http://secretcave.co/achewood-interview/
    What plans are currently on the table, or even just floating around your mind, concerning Achewood? Aside from Achewood, are you currently working on anything?

I am excited to tell you that I can’t tell you about my current Achewood project, but that means there is one, and it’s fairly large, and it’s in a very familiar vein. I should have an announcement by summer.

To celebrate, here's One Dollar Genius

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I want to be excited, but hearing "in a very familiar vein" makes me think that it will peter out of energy about a third of the way through and be excruciatingly drawn-out to a conclusion that obviously not enjoyable for any of the characters or the author or the audience.

• Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I want to be excited, but hearing "in a very familiar vein" makes me think that it will peter out of energy about a third of the way through and be excruciatingly drawn-out to a conclusion that obviously not enjoyable for any of the characters or the author or the audience.

I think the only storylines left unfinished were Fast Times at Achewood High and the one where Ray escapes from the hospital, no?

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    The Great Outdoor Fight will never be finished.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Im pretty sure its the cartoon. It would allow him to be a consultant or something but not have to oversee everything and burn out again

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    I hope whatever he’s up to works. I really, really wanted to like the test footage from the last animated go-round, but I suppose I never got a chance to acclimate to it before it was over.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Maaaaaaaaad rutty.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Because of this I am re-reading the Roast Beef In Heaven arc.

Poor Doctor Kisses :(

• Options
    So whatever project Onstad was working on last year never got announced it seems. But a fan has gone and done this - https://11viaverde.github.io/

Every strip, every blog, and just about all the asset bar comments that had been lost, all in chronological order. The blogs are even separated by character in chronological order.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Every time this thread gets bumped I assume it's because Onstad had committed suicide a month prior and people on the net have just found out.

• Options
    :bigfrown:

• Options
    Thats uh. Needlessly dark

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Needlessly dark but not entirely... off.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Needlessly dark but not entirely... off.

What is this act called you ask?

*Claps hands, spreads them in an arc*

Achewood!

• Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »
    Every time this thread gets bumped I assume it's because Onstad had committed suicide a month prior and people on the net have just found out.

that was literally my thoughtprocess. So yeah...i get it.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    Onstad is fine. He's friends with Bill Oakley.

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular

The complete Achewood is getting printed by Oni press, starting in June!

• Options
    Yessssss, I have two of the Dark Horse collections and they are... kinda crap, tbh. I hope Achewood finally gets the print edition it deserves.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    *looks at Dark Horse collections*

Are they going to have new commentaries for every strip? I doubt they're going to carry over the prose writing from those volumes.

• Options
    Weird and interesting that the new book is, y’know, the first three years or so. No idea what the long game might be, or if there even is one.

Between this, the Achewood Holiday Popup shop thing he’s been doing, and Onstad’s mysterious presence and then vanishing from Marvel’s Bizarre Adventures relaunch, I have my hopes that there’s more at work here.

• Options
    I feel like Onstad working for Marvel was something that he earnestly wanted to do but theres no way he could work with an editor

• Options
    I feel like Onstad working for Marvel was something that he earnestly wanted to do but theres no way he could work with an editor

I’m sure you’re right and I’m sure we’ll probably never really know.

• Options
    Once I get these new books I kinda want to do an Achewood read through podcast.

Is this all a ploy to meet a personal hero ? Yes but I want to meet that stuffed otter dangit

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I decided to go back through the archive and have thus far not been disappointed with that decision. Some insensitive and problematic stuff early on, but no more so than other comics of the era, and much less than many.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    yeah I recently re-read the entire run (except for the blogs which I've always found to be mostly pretty boring)

lots of uses of the r-word, especially early on; everyone did that in the aughts for whatever reason

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »
    yeah I recently re-read the entire run (except for the blogs which I've always found to be mostly pretty boring)

lots of uses of the r-word, especially early on; everyone did that in the aughts for whatever reason

Because everyone did it back in the 90s and 80s back to when it entered the common persons vernacular.

Not to jump on you but I see this general sentiment in a lot of places when talking about old media and it's kinda tiring. Sometimes we get better about being shitty as a populous, I'd rather save our energy for going after people who didn't go along with the times at least. Or those who made the minimal changes but instead of actual getting better just shifted their targets to focus on those it's still more socially acceptable to disparage (someone who stops using gay/lesbian perjoratives but suddenly start using trans ones because they can still get away with that, fuck those people).

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    There was a massive culture shift in the nineties against using ableist slurs like the r word and stuff, that didn't really quite catch on popularly until the like, mid-aughts in a lot of places. I see some assholes still toss em around pretty casually!

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »

Because everyone did it back in the 90s and 80s back to when it entered the common persons vernacular.

Not to jump on you but I see this general sentiment in a lot of places when talking about old media and it's kinda tiring. Sometimes we get better about being shitty as a populous, I'd rather save our energy for going after people who didn't go along with the times at least. Or those who made the minimal changes but instead of actual getting better just shifted their targets to focus on those it's still more socially acceptable to disparage (someone who stops using gay/lesbian perjoratives but suddenly start using trans ones because they can still get away with that, fuck those people).

I am big time guilty of that. I used the R-word regularly but not as a targeted insult.... Calling something gay was also shockingly common in every day speak.

Live and learn.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    There's a couple of f-bombs in early Achewood as well, usually from known-douchebag characters like Todd, but still yeah, kinda jarring. Usually when I recommend Achewood to newbies I give them the ol' "try to remember it was the 00s" caveat.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    There's a couple of f-bombs in early Achewood as well, usually from known-douchebag characters like Todd, but still yeah, kinda jarring. Usually when I recommend Achewood to newbies I give them the ol' "try to remember it was the 00s" caveat.

This is the same phenomenon that makes like 75% of 80's movies unwatchable.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    It’s a strange thing to know that Onstad is in a relatively good place such that he can make Achewood when he feels like it, if that’s something he wants to do, but he can easily just sell paintings of Phillipe and probably makes more money off that than he ever did from a few straight weeks of making the comic.

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
  • Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    Oh right I should pre-order that

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    I just wanted to remind everybody that even though 2020 is a reeking worm-infested turd of a year, you can still read through Achewood for free, and it's pretty good at making the bad sads go away for a bit.

• Options
    V1m wrote: »
    I just wanted to remind everybody that even though 2020 is a reeking worm-infested turd of a year, you can still read through Achewood for free, and it's pretty good at making the bad sads go away for a bit.

But what if I'm the guy who sucks?

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWFm5q_B5EQ

I don't know if this video is going to tell Achewood fans anything they don't know, but it's well-made.